Author Topic: ALDS schedule  (Read 6546 times)

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
ALDS schedule
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:49:52 am »
So, we all know what days the games are scheduled, but have they seriously not announced the times?  I cannot seem to find it.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: ALDS schedule
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:59:19 am »
I just figure they are waiting on the results of the wild card games.  Not sure why it matters much though as I assume none of the Astros/Tribe games will be in prime time.  Already planning to take off early on Friday and Monday

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:00:48 am »
maybe just a filler but when i look at friday on tbs it lists the first game at 4 and the second 730
just saying what the guide is showing
forever is composed entirely of nows

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:11:36 am »
No announcement yet.  Last year the start times were announced on the Sunday night that the season ended.  I wondered if the NL tie-breakers affected MLB's ability to announce the times, but couldn't come up with a logical reason.  Anyway, that would be moot after yesterday anyway. 

It's a tad frustrating.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:14:38 am »
I just don't get why they won't announce the AL times.  We all know it's going to be Boston getting the prime time slots so just say it already. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:31:17 am »
I just don't get why they won't announce the AL times.  We all know it's going to be Boston getting the prime time slots so just say it already.

It probably wouldn't matter, but if Oakland beats NY, Verlander/Kluber might hold some prime-time appeal.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 10:56:38 am »

Maybe it's the east coast / west coast thing; 7:30 (CDT) is 8:30 in Boston.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:58 am »
Maybe it's the east coast / west coast thing; 7:30 (CDT) is 8:30 in Boston.

MLB doesn't care.  Their only concern is to  the highest ratings.  Think about all those Red Sox fans in California who want to see their team!

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 11:04:00 am »
It seems as though Fridays games are:

Indians at Astros
Braves at Dodgers

Seriously?  They can't figure out the times for these games??????????? 

Did someone just forget to release them???
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:07:01 am by BudGirl »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 11:05:39 am »
I'm seeing 1:05 for Friday on my MLB atbat app.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 11:06:15 am »
And 3:37 for Saturday's game

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 11:07:26 am »

I just saw that.  I guess I need to take the afternoon off....

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 11:10:08 am »
And 3:37 for Saturday's game

The MLB Ballpark app still says TBD, but I have a feeling that your prophecy will bear out. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:03 am »
The MLB Ballpark app still says TBD, but I have a feeling that your prophecy will bear out.

And Astros.com says it's 1:05 on Friday.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 11:36:46 am »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 11:52:31 am »

I still have a visceral reaction to shit like this, being triggered by memories of the home field "advantage" handed to the Astros against the Padres in 1998.  Tuesday and Thursday afternoon home games for the Astros while the Pads got Saturday and Sunday home games.

Also, the four games played in this series were spread over 7 days, basically allowing the Padres to win the series with a single pitcher (and Sterling Hitchcock).

Fuck you, Bud Selig.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:57:37 am by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »

Good grief....glad I decided to take the 2nd flight out Friday morning.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 01:04:06 pm »
I still have a visceral reaction to shit like this, being triggered by memories of the home field "advantage" handed to the Astros against the Padres in 1998.  Tuesday and Thursday afternoon home games for the Astros while the Pads got Saturday and Sunday home games.

Also, the four games played in this series were spread over 7 days, basically allowing the Padres to win the series with a single pitcher (and Sterling Hitchcock).

Fuck you, Bud Selig.

You're not helping me get over things,  you know.

FBS.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:47 pm »
Fucking 1 OClock.  F right off MLB,
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 01:08:37 pm »
well its apparent his little plan to move the astros to the al did not work out at all how he plaaned

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
No surprises but the Astros announced Verlander, Cole, and Keuchel will pitch games 1, 2 and 3, respectively.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »
No surprises but the Astros announced Verlander, Cole, and Keuchel will pitch games 1, 2 and 3, respectively.

I just read that and got butterflies in my stomach.  I hate that there is still three days until game time.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
ALDS
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 02:10:47 pm »
Reasons not to subscribe?

5 of 8 The Athletic writers picking Indians over the Astros in the ALDS (including Ken Rosenthal, Eno Sarris and Joe Posnanski).

Of the other 3, Jayson Stark has the Astros winning over the Red Sox in the ALCS (and then losing to the Brewers in the WS) while Jim Bowden picks the Sox over the Astros. Only Peter Gammons has the club going all the way for its 2nd consecutive WS title.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 02:27:42 pm »
Against Kluber, Carrasco, Clevinger with Bauer available out of the pen for games 1 or 2.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »
i just want to know who the rest of the team are

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 02:41:38 pm »
Fucking 1 OClock.  F right off MLB,

Agreed. The defending World Series championsb can’t even get the 4 p.m. game slot (which instead goes to the Brewers/NL Wildcard winner)?  Pathetic. 
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: ALDS
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 02:51:47 pm »
5 of 8 The Athletic writers picking Indians over the Astros in the ALDS (including Ken Rosenthal, Eno Sarris and Joe Posnanski).

And what, prey tell (i.e. so I don't have to give them a clickthrough) is their rationale?  They finished with 12 fewer wins than the Astros, despite being the only team in their division above .500 - the laughable Rangers would've been 3rd in the Central and the Indians would've been sitting out October if they'd been in the West.

It's the post-season, so there's no foregone conclusions, but it seems weird that there's so many going against the Astros here.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 03:07:30 pm »
Agreed. The defending World Series championsb can’t even get the 4 p.m. game slot (which instead goes to the Brewers/NL Wildcard winner)?  Pathetic.

The games are staggered.  AL, NL, AL, NL.  Since the only game that could reasonably go off last is the one on the west coast the stagger makes sense.  Of course the Red Sox/A's could go first but...
Goin' for a bus ride.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 03:22:50 pm »
For my own selfish reasons, I like the 1 o'clock start time. I have to drive three hours there and three hours back.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 03:34:25 pm »
I'm hoping employers are relaxed on Friday to let their people drift away early.

But, really, are they going to get a bigger combined audience having a game one a midweek afternoon than they would if that game overlapped with one other when people could actually watch?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 03:35:41 pm »
And what, prey tell (i.e. so I don't have to give them a clickthrough) is their rationale?  They finished with 12 fewer wins than the Astros, despite being the only team in their division above .500 - the laughable Rangers would've been 3rd in the Central and the Indians would've been sitting out October if they'd been in the West.

It's the post-season, so there's no foregone conclusions, but it seems weird that there's so many going against the Astros here.

Particularly in looking at the two clubs' season series this year in which Houston did pretty well. I'd rather be the underdog though.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 03:50:28 pm »
There are so many things that can go wrong in 5- and 7- game series. I, for one, am just trying to help the ball club, give it my best shot, good lord willing things will work out.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2018, 03:50:50 pm »
The games are staggered.  AL, NL, AL, NL.  Since the only game that could reasonably go off last is the one on the west coast the stagger makes sense.  Of course the Red Sox/A's could go first but...

Did not know that, so thank you for the clarification.  However, it’s still pretty sad that the defending champions are in a terrible time slot.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2018, 03:56:31 pm »
There are so many things that can go wrong in 5- and 7- game series. I, for one, am just trying to help the ball club, give it my best shot, good lord willing things will work out.

Anyone want to go to Avalon Diner for lunch tomorrow (Wednesday)?

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »
And what, prey tell (i.e. so I don't have to give them a clickthrough) is their rationale? 

Not much reasoning given --- the article is mostly just a list of each person's picks for each round. Notable excerpts:
* Rosenthal: "I just have a hunch about the Indians, nothing more, but my apologies in advance to their fans. My picks not only are always wrong, but often they are spectacularly wrong!"

* Stark: "First off, I can’t pick the Astros because nobody ever repeats in any sport except the Warriors. But even if I could, I’m all in on the Brewers right now. The road to parade floats in the 21st century runs through the bullpen. And the best bullpen in baseball these days can be found hanging out with Bernie Brewer."

* Sarris: "What do the Indians lack? They once lacked some bullpen firepower, but with Andrew Miller back and throwing 94 mph, and Brad Hand… in hand, the Indians’ bullpen has been sixth-best in baseball in the past month. They had the best rotation in baseball, and Trevor Bauer is back. They only had the seventh-best lineup this year by league- and park-adjusted numbers, but they struck out less than any team above them, and making contact is the best way to collect lotto tickets in the postseason. Francisco Lindor and José Ramírez are the best keystone in baseball, and Cleveland has cobbled together an outfield. This is the year."

* Gammons: "This is a better Astros team than last season, even if Carlos Correa’s back doesn’t come around. They now have Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole and Dallas Keuchel, and while that troika’s innings help the bullpen breathe, the relief is deeper and better with the additions of Roberto Osuna, Ryan Pressly and Josh James, all big power arms that allow Lance McCullers to be used anytime, anywhere, anyhow. Combined, Osuna, Pressly and James have a 1.69 earned run average with an 80-13 strikeout-walk ratio in 69 innings. And Alex Bregman succeeds George Springer as World Series MVP."

* Posnanski: "The Tribe has flown under the radar all season, playing well below their Pythagorean expectation, cruising to a division title while the spotlight has shined on the Yankees and Astros. But this team still has what I think is the best rotation in baseball, they have a well-rounded and athletic offense, and while their bullpen has faltered in the regular season, guys like Andrew Miller and Cody Allen are postseason stalwarts." [Note: Posnanski grew up an Indians fan in Cleveland.]
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 04:26:46 pm »
Nitpicks inserted below:

Not much reasoning given --- the article is mostly just a list of each person's picks for each round. Notable excerpts:
* Rosenthal: "I just have a hunch about the Indians, nothing more, but my apologies in advance to their fans. My picks not only are always wrong, but often they are spectacularly wrong!"

Ummm, ok.

* Stark: "First off, I can’t pick the Astros because nobody ever repeats in any sport except the Warriors. But even if I could, I’m all in on the Brewers right now. The road to parade floats in the 21st century runs through the bullpen. And the best bullpen in baseball these days can be found hanging out with Bernie Brewer."

They were below .500 in 1-run games (22-24) and 4-9 in extra-inning games; that doesn't smack of the best bullpen in baseball.  (The Astros were .500 in 1-run games an 5-6 in extra innings).

* Sarris: "What do the Indians lack? They once lacked some bullpen firepower, but with Andrew Miller back and throwing 94 mph, and Brad Hand… in hand, the Indians’ bullpen has been sixth-best in baseball in the past month. They had the best rotation in baseball, and Trevor Bauer is back. They only had the seventh-best lineup this year by league- and park-adjusted numbers, but they struck out less than any team above them, and making contact is the best way to collect lotto tickets in the postseason. Francisco Lindor and José Ramírez are the best keystone in baseball, and Cleveland has cobbled together an outfield. This is the year."

That's an amazingly cherry-picked stat (also, see above).  The best rotation (with the best / sixth best bullpen) gave up 114 more runs than the Astros playing in the worst division in the AL.  As for strikeouts, they had fewer than Houston.  Eight.  Eight fewer than Houston.  1189 vs 1197.  A difference of 0.00668338.

* Gammons: "This is a better Astros team than last season, even if Carlos Correa’s back doesn’t come around. They now have Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole and Dallas Keuchel, and while that troika’s innings help the bullpen breathe, the relief is deeper and better with the additions of Roberto Osuna, Ryan Pressly and Josh James, all big power arms that allow Lance McCullers to be used anytime, anywhere, anyhow. Combined, Osuna, Pressly and James have a 1.69 earned run average with an 80-13 strikeout-walk ratio in 69 innings. And Alex Bregman succeeds George Springer as World Series MVP."

No comment.

* Posnanski: "The Tribe has flown under the radar all season, playing well below their Pythagorean expectation, cruising to a division title while the spotlight has shined on the Yankees and Astros. But this team still has what I think is the best rotation in baseball, they have a well-rounded and athletic offense, and while their bullpen has faltered in the regular season, guys like Andrew Miller and Cody Allen are postseason stalwarts." [Note: Posnanski grew up an Indians fan in Cleveland.]

They've been cruising under the radar because their division sucks.  They have losing records vs. the East and West, while beating up their baby brothers in the Central to a tune of 49-27 (.645).  The Astros have a winning record against all divisions, and are 25-7 against the Central (.781).

It's ok for these guys to pick the Indians if they want; it's just galling to see such flimsy excuses.  This makes the annual monkey shit fight HOF balloting look well researched.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2018, 04:53:46 pm »
This makes the annual monkey shit fight HOF balloting look well researched.

So now you see that for them it is with corresponding attitudes.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »
Why didn't they do this last year?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »
If you didn't like the opinions of The Athletic writers, then you'll probably like the opinions of some MLB.com folks much more. Of the 8 people polled (Footer and Justice are in there), all predicted the Astros would get past the Indians and 5 of 'em said the Astros would repeat as world champs (another 2 said they would get to the WS but lose).

https://www.mlb.com/news/postseason-world-series-expert-predictions/c-296869230

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2018, 06:52:48 pm »

That means 2:05 am local time, guess I better check my alarm clock is working...
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2018, 07:06:40 pm »
Reasons not to subscribe?

Of the other 3, Jayson Stark has the Astros winning over the Red Sox in the ALCS (and then losing to the Brewers in the WS) while Jim Bowden picks the Sox over the Astros. Only Peter Gammons has the club going all the way for its 2nd consecutive WS title.

AKA, the kind of shit defending champs with the second best record in baseball post next to their lockers.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2018, 10:07:00 pm »

I'm in.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 03:55:08 am »
That means 2:05 am local time, guess I better check my alarm clock is working...
A comfortable 8:05pm for me.  :-)
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 06:36:36 am »

Where are you, Bob?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 07:51:57 am »
put a blue star on virtual bob for his devotion

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2018, 08:10:53 am »

Games played in the Pacific time zone work best for me, I would be very happy to see a couple more in this post season.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2018, 09:34:22 am »
Games played in the Pacific time zone work best for me, I would be very happy to see a couple more in this post season.

Root hard for the A's until the ALCS then.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2018, 05:04:36 pm »
Root hard for the A's until the ALCS then.

Liam Hendriks is a Perth guy so I would be happy to see him go well. 

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2018, 06:36:52 pm »
ALDS Schedule:

All times Eastern
FRI CLE @ HOU 2:05 PM
SAT CLE@HOU 4:37 PM
MON HOU@CLE 1:30 PM
TUE HOU@CLE 4:35 PM *
THU CLE@HOU 4:07 PM  *

* - if needed

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2018, 06:38:57 pm »
ALDS Schedule:

All times Eastern
FRI CLE @ HOU 2:05 PM
SAT CLE@HOU 4:37 PM
MON HOU@CLE 1:30 PM
TUE HOU@CLE 4:35 PM *
THU CLE@HOU 4:07 PM  *

* - if needed

Well, I guess it's fair in that both teams get the same lousy home starting times.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »
Well, I guess it's fair in that both teams get the same lousy home starting times.

What did you expect?  They were going to give those times to Boston and New York?

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:36 pm »

Looks like I'm in for a week of night shift.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2018, 10:04:45 am »

I just saw this. I so would have gone.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2018, 10:12:09 am »
I just saw this. I so would have gone.

anyone else have butterflies with razor blades for wings? Or it could just be the Frito Pie saying "hello".

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2018, 11:16:57 am »
anyone else have butterflies with razor blades for wings? Or it could just be the Frito Pie saying "hello".

Someone just cancelled my meeting that began at start time, so feeling good.