Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 17807 times)

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:40 am »
I am turning to podcast more and more for entertainment/learning.

What is on your list of ones you look forward to dropping in you feed?  I am falling out of love with some of my long term listens in my feed and am looking for some fresh listens.  Would especially like a short daily general baseball podcast. 

Here is my list:
Houston Astros Podcast (repeat of the pregame show and some interview sound bites & highlights)
Revisionist History - Gladwell is a master story teller
Freakanomics -
The Holy Post - Faith & Culture

Just started listening to "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History" My friend who recommended it said it requires commitment.  I saw what he meant when I downloaded the first episode and it was 4.5 hours.  It was almost like a mix of an audible book and a great history lecture.  The episode I just listened to discussed who Japanese cultural dynamics lead to their involvement in the war with China starting in 37 and ultimately their involvement in WWII. 

Always ready to go to a game.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:51:13 am »
I've got a few in rotation

Shutdown Fullcast - the college football weirdos from Every Day Should Be Saturday
How Did This Get Made? - three comedians picking apart bad movies.  Not MST3K style (in that they don't watch the movie live), but same sort of humor.
Mortification of Spin - Presbyterian curmudgeons
Cultivated - intersection of faith, work and art (though this week's guest was an All-Pro RB)

I tried to get into Lima Time Time, but it's just too slapdash and desperately in need of editing/preparation.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:55:36 am »
99% Invisible -- cool stories about the ways design impacts life.
The Memory Palace -- just great storytelling of real-life events.
Presidential -- a Washington Post series, with one episode per president through U.S. history.
The Soundtrack Show -- in-depth discussion of great movie soundtracks.
Twenty Thousand Hertz -- the stories behind the world's most recognizable and interesting sounds.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:56:19 am »
I have a love/hate relationship with Effectively Wild, a daily baseball podcast, in that there are two hosts and one of them I love and the other I hate, but it’s generally worthwhile.

I’ve stopped listening to it for the most part, but I still think On The Media is an extraordinarily well-done, information and analysis rich weekly hour.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:22:30 am »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/podcasts/caliphate-isis-rukmini-callimachi.html

Through about 4 episodes and it is excellent.  Rukmini is also a great twitter follow.

A few others.
NPR Fresh Air
American Fiasco which retells the story of the 1998 USMNT disaster, hosted by Roger Bennett is really interesting
This American Life, has some great stories
Men in Blazers is enjoyable during the EPL season

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:23:34 am »
I have a love/hate relationship with Effectively Wild, a daily baseball podcast, in that there are two hosts and one of them I love and the other I hate, but it’s generally worthwhile.

I’ve stopped listening to it for the most part, but I still think On The Media is an extraordinarily well-done, information and analysis rich weekly hour.
I stopped listening to EW after Sam Miller left. Just isn't the same without him.

Wouldn't be a podcast thread without someone recommending Mike Duncan's History of Rome (long since ended) or Revolutions, so I'll toss those out there.

I'll also recommend The Age of Napoleon for the history buffs out there. It's a good biography, but it's also an interesting exploration of the circumstances allowing for Napoleon's rise. I think it's the guy's first podcast, so the narration and recording aren't professional grade, but it's very good overall.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:34:11 am »
Slight plug, I've guest hosted on a craft beer podcast called The Beerists a few times. It's a craft beer review podcast. Drink 5 or 6 beers and review them.

They have recorded 330+ episodes, and have been around for 6+ years.

The podcast is really great if you like craft beer and nonsense in equal amounts.

If you're interested, I can be found in episode 320, 322, and 330.

"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 10:40:20 am »
I don't listen to many podcasts but one that has stuck with me is the Chris Miles Money Show.   

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 10:47:49 am »
The only one I listen to consistently is Hardcore History which I learned about years ago from this website (Gizzmonic I think).

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 11:41:05 am »
Dont do many baseball podcasts other than the occasional one by fangraphs or similar.

I love listening to history podcasts. I've listened to the history of rome beginning to end 3 times now, it's like that good book you just keep going back to, for me.

Revolutions by the same guy mike Duncan is really good also. I especially enjoyed his covering of the Haitian revolution as I knew nothing about it beforehand.

The history of byzantium by robin Pearson, he picks up where the history of rome ended. It's kind of rough in places and isn't nearly as good as tHoR but it's not bad.

I've recently started listening to the history of ancient Greece but I'm not far enough into it to give a recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 03:29:11 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/podcasts/caliphate-isis-rukmini-callimachi.html

Through about 4 episodes and it is excellent.  Rukmini is also a great twitter follow.

A few others.
NPR Fresh Air
American Fiasco which retells the story of the 1998 USMNT disaster, hosted by Roger Bennett is really interesting

Literally listening to this right now (on Ep 6). I was a very casual soccer person at the time but I recognize a lot of the names and I remember that World Cup.

I'm not a huge podcast person but I try to squeeze them in when I think about it.

Stuff You Should Know is a great one that requires no real commitment. I just check in on the topics that interest me.

American History Tellers  takes a documentary-like approach to historical events. I've only listened to their four-part series on the Space Race.

The Ringer has a bunch of podcasts but I'll usually check out the Rewatchables when they do a movie I liked.

If you were ever a huge West Wing fan then The West Wing Weekly is a fun way to revisit the series.

Skeptics Guide to the Universe can be interesting (they cover science topics), but my attention span for podcats usually wanes after an hour so I don't listen as much anymore.

StarTalk (Neil deGrasse Tyson) would be great if he didn't have that awful comedian sidekick Chuck Nice, who adds nothing to the show. I had to tap out on it because of him.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 04:37:15 pm »
With the Premier League about to return, we also have the return of The Guardians award-winning "Football Weekly" (and Football Weekly Extra) podcast.  Basically a selection of regular and guest football journalists opining on all things football, mostly Premier League but European Leagues too.  Consistently amusing and informative in equal measure.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 04:39:14 pm »
With the Premier League about to return, we also have the return of The Guardians award-winning "Football Weekly" (and Football Weekly Extra) podcast.  Basically a selection of regular and guest football journalists opining on all things football, mostly Premier League but European Leagues too.  Consistently amusing and informative in equal measure.
With fulham back in the prem, I'll definitely be checking this out

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:31 pm »
I stopped listening to EW after Sam Miller left. Just isn't the same without him.

Wouldn't be a podcast thread without someone recommending Mike Duncan's History of Rome (long since ended) or Revolutions, so I'll toss those out there.

I'll also recommend The Age of Napoleon for the history buffs out there. It's a good biography, but it's also an interesting exploration of the circumstances allowing for Napoleon's rise. I think it's the guy's first podcast, so the narration and recording aren't professional grade, but it's very good overall.

Yeah, I was devastated when Sam left. Jeff Sullivan’s verbal butterfly makes me want to scratch my ears out.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:10:08 am »

A few others.
NPR Fresh Air

This American Life producer Brian Reed, also has a podcast called S-Town that is so interesting and captivating.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:36 am »
This American Life producer Brian Reed, also has a podcast called S-Town that is so interesting and captivating.

I binged that one a few months ago. Crazy ass story, and really engaging.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:18 am »
I binged that one a few months ago. Crazy ass story, and really engaging.
We were binging it on a drive to El Paso, and my dumb ass thought it was fiction through the first episode.  "These characters really aren't real, are they."

I enjoyed it.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:10 am »
We were binging it on a drive to El Paso, and my dumb ass thought it was fiction through the first episode.  "These characters really aren't real, are they."

I enjoyed it.

Even knowing it was non-fiction, it was hard to believe that it was a true story.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 11:21:01 am »
I've enjoyed several fiction podcasts - if that appeals at all, highly recommend Homecoming (with Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, David Schwimmer) and Limetown.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 11:23:29 am »
I enjoyed Homecoming as well, but it kind of just ended with me expecting more.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 05:35:56 am »
I really enjoyed it until (spoiler alert) the deaths of the main character. At that point it made me uncomfortable because of the intimate details of his life they were sharing. I saw recently the man’s estate has sued them.
https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/lawsuit_claims_s-town_exploiti.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:08 am »
Hidden Brain is my favorite. It explores the whys behind what people do.
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510308/hidden-brain

Car Talk makes me laugh the whole way. It’s not being made anymore, of course, but it is timeless.
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510208/car-talk
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 12:40:34 pm »
Hidden Brain is my favorite. It explores the whys behind what people do.
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510308/hidden-brain

Car Talk makes me laugh the whole way. It’s not being made anymore, of course, but it is timeless.
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510208/car-talk

I have enjoyed hidden brain for some time.

I also started a new true crime podcast today that my daughter recommended:  Up and Vanished  I can tell it is one I am going to binge.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 01:58:36 pm »
I recommend The Sporkful, which started out as a whimsical over-analysis of the best way to enjoy foods but has transformed into food as an analysis of the human condition.  The two part Searching for the Aleppo Sandwich is absolutely brilliant, as is the series Other People's Food which examines race, identity, multiculturalism and the boundaries between cultural assimilation and appropriation through food.

For whimsy I like Deadspin's Deadcast
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 11:03:54 am »
I recommend, Fall of a Titan, Sports Illustrated's first true crime podcast investigates the death of Steve McNair. The first episode hooked me.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 11:37:37 am »
I recommend, Fall of a Titan, Sports Illustrated's first true crime podcast investigates the death of Steve McNair. The first episode hooked me.

Listened to the first episode yesterday, it has potential.  Not a huge fan of the voice/style of the guy who is narrating tho.   
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 03:47:07 pm »
Slight plug, I've guest hosted on a craft beer podcast called The Beerists a few times. It's a craft beer review podcast. Drink 5 or 6 beers and review them.

So it’s like Drunk History.  Without the history. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 02:01:38 pm »
Grab another Coke and let's die

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 03:38:20 pm »
New one from SB Nation: It Seemed Smart.  Basically, it looks at episodes of cheating in sports.  First episode is about Joey Albert Belle's corked bat and the hijinks that ensued afterwards.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 06:42:41 pm »
Listened to the first episode yesterday, it has potential.  Not a huge fan of the voice/style of the guy who is narrating tho.
I usually listen to podcasts when I doing a mindless task so I can take in the most of the story without being distracted. Which I easily am. Look, a shiny thing... anyway.. where was I. Oh yeah, I listened to it while grocery shopping Saturday, so I didn't notice his pacing or tonality. Now it will probably bug me next time because I'll be listening for it. Hopefully, the content will overcome.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
When I win the lottery tonight, I’m gonna start a podcast about what it’s like to be a crazy rich motherfucker.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 07:35:58 pm »
When I win the lottery tonight, I’m gonna start a podcast about what it’s like to be a crazy rich motherfucker.
If you don't win, you could still go for the crazy motherfucker angle.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 09:05:36 pm »
If you don't win, you could still go for the crazy motherfucker angle.

Funding is harder to come by for that.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
Funding is harder to come by for that.

Most of it goes to the President.

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 07:27:32 pm »
So it’s like Drunk History.  Without the history.

No
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:52 am »
I have started listening to Maddow's podcast about Spiro Agnew.  It's quite fascinating and a little scary.  The reality behind Agnew's ousting from the Vice Presidency is far more dark, and the actual crimes involved far more serious, than the smokescreen of "financial misconduct".  It's like saying Bernie Madoff was guilty of "accounting irregularities".

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 10:34:29 am »
I have started listening to Maddow's podcast
Somehow, I knew that.

I'll have to check it out. I listen to her TV show on occasion but I can't watch it because her nervous ticks and weird facial expressions totally freak me out.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 11:58:49 am »
Somehow, I knew that.

I'll have to check it out. I listen to her TV show on occasion but I can't watch it because her nervous ticks and weird facial expressions totally freak me out.

It’s got very high production value.  Like “Serial”, but the subject is more guilty than you thought, not less. 

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 09:42:53 am »
Yeah, I was devastated when Sam left. Jeff Sullivan’s verbal butterfly makes me want to scratch my ears out.

Miller's back. Sullivan got hired by the Rays. The setup is now Lindbergh as host, with Miller and Meg Rowley (of Fangraphs) as alternating co-hosts. Today's episode has the Astros season preview—nothing all that enlightening, but a decent recap of where the team stands (or stood before the Pressly & Bregman extensions).

Noe

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:41 am »
I recommend The Sporkful, which started out as a whimsical over-analysis of the best way to enjoy foods but has transformed into food as an analysis of the human condition.  The two part Searching for the Aleppo Sandwich is absolutely brilliant, as is the series Other People's Food which examines race, identity, multiculturalism and the boundaries between cultural assimilation and appropriation through food.

I'm enjoying this recommendation very much! Thanks for the heads up on this one. I like the Food Channel's "You're eating this wrong" show so this was a good podcast for me to follow. Downloaded it to iTunes and got into it right away. BTW - the podcast on "Other People's Food" is very good. Kicking off with Chef Bayless and his "White Chef, Mexican Food" was the hook for me.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 12:21:47 pm »
I'm enjoying this recommendation very much! Thanks for the heads up on this one. I like the Food Channel's "You're eating this wrong" show so this was a good podcast for me to follow. Downloaded it to iTunes and got into it right away. BTW - the podcast on "Other People's Food" is very good. Kicking off with Chef Bayless and his "White Chef, Mexican Food" was the hook for me.

I like Chef Bayless.  Just don't invite his brother to the dinner table.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 01:17:20 pm »

I'm so glad to hear it! The Bayless episode was very interesting. I've actually gone back and re-listened to the Aleppo Sandwich series because it was so moving.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 03:09:46 pm »
The Dropout is a very good telling of the Elizabeth Holmes & Theranos saga.

If you are having college football withdrawal, Mo Rocca's Mobituary Podcast on the Auburn/Alabama rivalry (Death of a tree: Roots of a rivalry) is outstanding. Fully captures the craziness on both sides.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 04:07:09 pm »
The Dropout is a very good telling of the Elizabeth Holmes & Theranos saga.

I'm starting this one immediately, thank you. That story fascinates me.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 04:32:11 pm »
I thought the book was the best of last year. Are these podcasts/documentaries adding new information?

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 07:45:08 pm »
I thought the book was the best of last year. Are these podcasts/documentaries adding new information?
Not read the book or seen the documentary but the array of people they interviewed was impressive. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 02:10:38 pm »
I know nothing about this woman's story.  Y'alls interest intrigued me, so I looked her up and see she's a scam artist, and her father was at Enron.  Are these related and addressed in the podcast?  Seems like a fascinating coincidence.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 02:34:28 pm »
So a vote for the podcast, a vote for the book and I'll toss in a vote for the doc.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 07:24:29 pm »
I know nothing about this woman's story.  Y'alls interest intrigued me, so I looked her up and see she's a scam artist, and her father was at Enron.  Are these related and addressed in the podcast?  Seems like a fascinating coincidence.

Yes her background is covered.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 07:15:46 am »
The Enron connection is stupid - her dad wasn’t Skilling or Fastow; they had 30,000 employees.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:54 am »
In trying to get in the head of someone or explain their actions, it's never stupid to know their background.  But you're right in that I know nothing about her father's role or ethical behavior and what sort of morality was transmitted down to her from her parents.  I'm not too high on coincidences however, and would never leave a fact like that unexplored.

Anyways, I listened to the first two podcasts and watched the doc last night.  I'm more interested in the psychology of the easily scammed, the hard to scam and those inbetween than in the psychology of the scammers.  Regarding her, the doc enables the viewer to be much more charitable to her than the podcast does.  Neither really gets into her background much, like she appears on stage without a backstory.  No scriptwriter could get away with that. Is she crazy, malicious, longing to fulfill some childhood need, confront a trauma or something else.  I haven't heard anything from her family or friends (did she have any).  I suppose that greatly contributes to the mystery.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2019, 09:25:59 am »
Is she crazy, malicious, longing to fulfill some childhood need, confront a trauma or something else. 

She dresses only in black, consumes her nutrients primarily in liquid form, and has a dog that is her spirit animal that must accompany her everywhere.

She's also a pathological liar.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2019, 10:04:59 am »
She was in my class at Stanford - I don't know anyone who knew her (I guess she mostly spent her time inventing fake shit then dropping out after a year). Because I'm petty, I felt better after her net worth was revalued from youngest self-made female billionaire to zero; now there's only one billionaire left from my class to make me feel like a loser.
  -  Orson Welles

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 10:25:06 am »
Every tech/science/R&D manager hypes everything they do all the time 24/7 even though most of it is obviously not going to work because its the way you attract resources and talent. Elizabeth Holmes and her investors (like all tech managers) probably had in the back in their mind that once the investment money really started to flow the very smart people she had working for them would figure something out, they just had to keep the hype going until they reached that point. However, her and her ridiculous boyfriend were so incompetent that they screwed up everything before the big money came in.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:40 am »
She dresses only in black, consumes her nutrients primarily in liquid form, and has a dog that is her spirit animal that must accompany her everywhere.

She's also a pathological liar.

You forgot to mention the crazy eyes.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 12:04:39 pm »
In some of the later episodes to do talk to some classmates from high school but just that she wasn't that remarkable of a figure in HS and that the voice doesn't match her voice in high school.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 02:59:05 pm »
Every tech/science/R&D manager hypes everything they do all the time 24/7 even though most of it is obviously not going to work because its the way you attract resources and talent. Elizabeth Holmes and her investors (like all tech managers) probably had in the back in their mind that once the investment money really started to flow the very smart people she had working for them would figure something out, they just had to keep the hype going until they reached that point. However, her and her ridiculous boyfriend were so incompetent that they screwed up everything before the big money came in.
I haven't heard the Podcasts yet, but it sounds like you're saying that she's not a fraud but a failure. I'm gonna start listening now.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 03:01:15 pm »
At some point it definitely transitioned to fraud.
  -  Orson Welles

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 03:07:05 pm »
They were clearly working on something and they clearly thought it would work some day. But they represented that it was working at the time.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:46 pm »
I haven't heard the Podcasts yet, but it sounds like you're saying that she's not a fraud but a failure. I'm gonna start listening now.

She both failed and committed fraud in the process. 

Noe

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2019, 10:55:18 pm »
She both failed and committed fraud in the process.

The documentary makes a veiled point in the end that this is part of the game played at the Silicon Valley. They all lie to investors about what they have and project as earnings, she just was not good playing their game per se.

But what I found the most sad is that the brilliant inventor who came up with the original Edison patent committed suicide when he got caught up in this CEO's googly-eyed Rasputin act. The patent they filed for the Edison machine was filed under false pretenses and since he participated in the inaccurate filing, he was going to be ruined as a scientist. It was too much to bear. Really sad.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2019, 06:46:37 am »
The latest Revisionist History deals with PEDs and Jesuit reasoning.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 12:19:03 pm »
The podcast Disgraceland by Jake Brennan is pretty fun. It about crazy musicians and the outrageous things they have done. I wonder about the guy's sources. He seems to fill in a lot of gaps with his own interpretation of what might have gone on. Still highly entertaining.