• High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: snow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:17:53 pm »
Quote:

at my house. right now.

How much is accumulating?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:21:09 pm »
just a dusting. it is mostly ice/sleet, which started late yesterday afternoon. Austin may be iced in until after noon tomorrow.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 02:23:28 pm »
Quote:

just a dusting. it is mostly ice/sleet, which started late yesterday afternoon. Austin may be iced in until after noon tomorrow.

Ugh.  They're warning of that here, but so far no ice.  It's about 35 degrees though, and they're saying that's as warm as it's gonna get until midday tomorrow.  If we get any precip at all, Houston is gonna be screwed.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:28:16 pm »
they're saying we'll be below freezing till tomorrow PM. then it will soar to 35. we got lots of precip last night and this morning. they are predicting freezing rain/sleet/snow through tomorrow noon.

Phil_in_CS

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 02:32:02 pm »
nothing but a small amount of ice here; been 30 since yesterday afternoon.

They are predicting more sleet/freezing rain, which would make it really nasty.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:35:06 pm »
Quote:

They are predicting more sleet/freezing rain, which would make it really nasty.

Forecast calls for scotch.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 02:38:23 pm »
i was thinking frozen margs. brilliant minds....

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 02:50:44 pm »
Quote:

Recipe:  Mix lime juice, tequila and triple sec/cointreau in a pitcher.  Leave outside for 5 minutes.  Serve in a salt rimmed glass.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JSAstrosFan

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »
Quote:

It's trying to get thick here in the southwest part of town. For a while we had some fairly large flurries.

Iced roads. Can't go to work... Doh! Dern laptops and VPN.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 03:00:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Recipe:  Mix lime juice, tequila and triple sec/cointreau in a pitcher.  Leave outside for 5 minutes.  Serve in a salt rimmed glass.

Now THAT'S being resourceful.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 03:05:20 pm »
we got our light dusting yesterday. of course it had to be on a holiday instead of today...

its below freezing today but no precip, and the sunshine yesterday was enough to melt most of what we had from yesterday morning.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 03:05:22 pm »
It's all about being prepared, right?

Yesterday I sent myself home from work ten minutes after I got there, but made sure to grab some "necessary" items from the Tigermart on the way home. Clerk looked at me crazy; guess he isn't used to seeing people buy an 18-pack at 8am on a Monday.

A few beers, a nice snowstorm, and some whisky waiting in reserve. It's almost enough to make you love winter.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 03:08:03 pm »
Quote:

It's all about being prepared, right?

Yesterday I sent myself home from work ten minutes after I got there, but made sure to grab some "necessary" items from the Tigermart on the way home. Clerk looked at me crazy; guess he isn't used to seeing people buy an 18-pack at 8am on a Monday.

A few beers, a nice snowstorm, and some whisky waiting in reserve. It's almost enough to make you love winter.

As one of my old coaches used to say, luck is just opportunity meeting preparation.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 03:17:22 pm »
Quote:

at my house. right now.

We're getting snow off and on here in Round Rock.  The kids think they have to be outside in it.  I don't know how many times I've had to yell close the door.  It's freezing outside.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
Quote:

Ahhhh.  Monday mornings in College Station.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 03:33:24 pm »
We haven't gotten any snow up in New York this winter.  I knew this would happen the winter after I bought my big-ass snowblower at Home Depot.  And worse of all, it is recommended not to use rock salt to rim your margarita glasses.
Boom!

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 03:34:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

As my dad likes to say, "it's after 5 in Moscow, and we can't let the Russians get ahead of us"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 03:37:04 pm »
over in the arboritium area here. my daughters car is almost covered in white. sure was pretty while it lasted
forever is composed entirely of nows

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 03:47:29 pm »
Quote:

Ugh.  They're warning of that here, but so far no ice.  It's about 35 degrees though, and they're saying that's as warm as it's gonna get until midday tomorrow.  If we get any precip at all, Houston is gonna be screwed.

I felt we were cheated. I wanted today off too.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 04:07:36 pm »
That means Austin has had more snow than Baltimore this year! We've had none -- just the way I like it.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 04:08:35 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Right.  Didn't Houston and that part of the Gulf coast get blasted with an ice storm that knocked out power for days about a decade ago?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 04:08:40 pm »
right on the Guadalupe River at Spring Branch.  You'd think SA has never seen snow, much less ice.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 04:13:57 pm »
Quote:

That means Austin has had more snow than Baltimore this year! We've had none -- just the way I like it.

I thought that storm that has been dropping ice on Texas was supposed to hit you guys in the NE yesterday or today...

I saw on the nation news the band went from Texas to Maine.

Maybe you all will get your "winter" started with this "little" system.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 05:10:29 pm »
In Maryland, we're on the warm edge of the system, according to the weatherman not named DAS. We're forecasted to get rain instead of snow.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 05:21:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing like getting kicked out of a bar/beer joint before noon on a Tuesday for being too drunk/obnoxious.

Getting sent from from Duddley's before noon was one of my proudest achievements in grad school.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 05:31:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right.  Didn't Houston and that part of the Gulf coast get blasted with an ice storm that knocked out power for days about a decade ago?

2001 was a fairly strong cold spell, but I think the one you are thinking about was in 1989.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 05:55:17 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing like getting kicked out of a bar/beer joint before noon on a Tuesday for being too drunk/obnoxious.

Getting sent from from Duddley's before noon was one of my proudest achievements in grad school.

Now, I've been really, really drunk at Duddley's and never  got the boot.  How the hell do you get kicked out of Dudley's?
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 05:57:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2001 was a fairly strong cold spell, but I think the one you are thinking about was in 1989.

1997.  Mostly apparently a little further east than Houston but did affect the Houston area. The Link
Goin' for a bus ride.

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 06:13:39 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now, I've been really, really drunk at Duddley's and never  got the boot.  How the hell do you get kicked out of Dudley's?

I think the fact that we got there right as the place opened and just started pouring back the pitchers got everyone's attention.  And though you could never tell it by my posts here, I sometimes use "salty" language. I think it was probably a pre-emptive strike on the manager's part.  He could see where we were headed and he made a good decision to get us the fuck out.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 06:15:31 pm »
OK, now I remember. I was running some rail cars through Freeport around then. I had never been trained on icy rails andm for some reason, we never worried about stocking up on the sand for the tracks.

I couldn't find the archive of the 1989 snow storm that hit the Houston area, but I remember spending a long time trying to drive from Nacogdoches to Lake Jackson that year. The ramp from 59 to 288 had trucks sliding backwards on the built up ice.

ETA:  Found a link
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 06:38:57 pm »
Quote:

As my dad likes to say, "it's after 5 in Moscow, and we can't let the Russians get ahead of us"

otlichno!
Up in the Air

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 06:40:29 pm »
Quote:

OK, now I remember. I was running some rail cars through Freeport around then. I had never been trained on icy rails andm for some reason, we never worried about stocking up on the sand for the tracks.

I couldn't find the archive of the 1989 snow storm that hit the Houston area, but I remember spending a long time trying to drive from Nacogdoches to Lake Jackson that year. The ramp from 59 to 288 had trucks sliding backwards on the built up ice.

ETA:  Found a link  

We had gone down to Katy to visit my folks (and my grandparents, who were visiting from Minnesota).  We got stuck there for two extra days because everything was so iced over that there was no escape.  Lost power for most of one day, too, and I never realized how fast a house could cool off.  We tried to take my grandparents out to Intercontinental to catch their flight home but never got more than about three miles from my folks' house because of the ice.  And that took hours.

On top of that, when we *did* get back to Austin on Christmas eve, we discovered that one of our pipes had frozen and burst.  I had even shut off the water before we left, but I wasn't smart enough to open up any faucets inside, and apparently the valve wasn't completely closed  and some water could trickle in and fill the pipes.  Fortunately, it was an outside pipe, and I was able to turn the water on and fill a couple of bathtubs before the ice around the broken pipe thawed, so we could use that water to flush toilets, etc.  Good thing, too: we couldn't get a plumber for about three days.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 07:24:20 pm »
Quote:

The lunch shift are less tolerant, apparently.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 08:18:42 pm »
I had to work today. AT&T doesn't acknowledge the inherent danger of driving on ice. Usually I work on fiber but today I had to work regular phone repair. It wasn't too bad. In fact, it was a piece of cake compared to my old days as a lineman in OKC.

The most heart warming thing I saw today was a couple of young girls attempting to make snow angels in the sleet that had collected on their drive way. The craziest thing I saw today was a madman (or Eskimo) kayaking on Town Lake.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 08:59:36 pm »
I live in Central East Austin and I haven't had to drive far, but everywhere I've been the roads are clear. This is nothing compared to the ice storm from Jan '97 or the one shortly before Christmas '88. Seems to me that aside from the cold temperatures and the hassle of a frozen windshield, the Ice Storm of 2007 doesn't warrant a city-wide shutdown. Then again, Austin drivers spazz out when it drizzles so I'm relieved most of them are too scurred to venture outside.

Can you imagine something like this in Austin???

That video is frightening.

No? in Austin

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 11:18:43 pm »
I've been in two *actual* snowstorms.  One in Utah, when the snow was coming down sideways and you could not see a thing.  I was driving through a mountain pass to get to Salt Lake.  Believe me, I didn't know any better (being from Texas).  I quickly realized that no one had their headlights on and were driving with only the fog lights.  I shut down my headlights and darn if I didn't see better.  The other thing was my amazement at how well the roads were for driving.

Second snowstorm was in Denver.  I was a passenger not a driver.  My wife and I were visiting a friend who had just moved there six month prior.  He drove in this stuff like it was nothing.  I was amazed at my fellow Texan having such an adept grasp of driving in a snowstorm. He laughed at me.  I was perplexed, why is he laughing?

Well, because he pointed out a snow bulldozer whizzing ahead of us clearing the road of hazard.  And the hundreds of trucks putting substances on the road to keep them from getting slippery.   This was *during* the storm.  He told me that you get used to snowstorms and how well prepared the city was to handling it.

And he also told me that in Texas, most especially in Houston (where I was from), nobody expects a snowstorm nor does it make sense to buy equipment like snowdozers to clear the roads and also have trucks at the ready with sodium substances.  Because it would be a huge waste of money.  That is why we shut down a city like Austin today... no one is going to pay for readiness, it's much more cost effective to just shut the city down than to waste money on equipment that is generally unecessary.

I'm glad I didn't have to go out in this stuff.  Bad enough when folks in Texas are speeding along when it is raining hard.  But when the city is not prepared to clear roads immediately even with a moderate storm like today (was it even a storm?), then it is very much a good idea to shut down and don't wander out if you don't have to.  Why create more problems for the road crews to have to handle.

That truck driver in Buda was speeding when he took out those innocent people, killed one of them.  He should've known better.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:36 am »
Quote:

I've been in two *actual* snowstorms.  One in Utah, when the snow was coming down sideways and you could not see a thing.  I was driving through a mountain pass to get to Salt Lake.  Believe me, I didn't know any better (being from Texas).  I quickly realized that no one had their headlights on and were driving with only the fog lights.  I shut down my headlights and darn if I didn't see better.  The other thing was my amazement at how well the roads were for driving.

Second snowstorm was in Denver.  I was a passenger not a driver.  My wife and I were visiting a friend who had just moved there six month prior.  He drove in this stuff like it was nothing.  I was amazed at my fellow Texan having such an adept grasp of driving in a snowstorm. He laughed at me.  I was perplexed, why is he laughing?

Well, because he pointed out a snow bulldozer whizzing ahead of us clearing the road of hazard.  And the hundreds of trucks putting substances on the road to keep them from getting slippery.   This was *during* the storm.  He told me that you get used to snowstorms and how well prepared the city was to handling it.

And he also told me that in Texas, most especially in Houston (where I was from), nobody expects a snowstorm nor does it make sense to buy equipment like snowdozers to clear the roads and also have trucks at the ready with sodium substances.  Because it would be a huge waste of money.  That is why we shut down a city like Austin today... no one is going to pay for readiness, it's much more cost effective to just shut the city down than to waste money on equipment that is generally unecessary.

I'm glad I didn't have to go out in this stuff.  Bad enough when folks in Texas are speeding along when it is raining hard.  But when the city is not prepared to clear roads immediately even with a moderate storm like today (was it even a storm?), then it is very much a good idea to shut down and don't wander out if you don't have to.  Why create more problems for the road crews to have to handle.

That truck driver in Buda was speeding when he took out those innocent people, killed one of them.  He should've known better.

In this kind of weather, it isn't whether you know how to drive in it, it's all the other people who don't.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 01:23:25 am »
dont know how far east but i do know my daughter at northwestern state in louisiana has no classes tommorrow and the promise of wintery mix.
forever is composed entirely of nows

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 10:41:47 am »
I just rolled in from Mississippi last night, misty rain but no ice. Quite a trip trying to stay on hwy 28 through your state. This was only the second time I have ever crossed the big river.

Woke up to a thin ice covering this morning here in the 'woods.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 10:54:13 am »
Same here in Maryland.  Couple of batches of flurries so far this year, that's all.  Just Pathetic.  Hopefully, Thursday night, Sunday and next Tuesday will change that...
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 11:45:17 am »
Whatchu talkin bout, David?!

No snow is good snow!

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 12:45:09 pm »
Ah, another snow/ice day in the frozen city of Austin.  They might as well give us the whole week off.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:48 pm »
i am afraid my office is going to open at 1. i do not know about downtown, but it ain't thawing much in NW Hills.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 01:08:05 pm »
Quote:

i am afraid my office is going to open at 1. i do not know about downtown, but it ain't thawing much in NW Hills.

My street down SW still looks like a big ice block, too. Kinda thawing, but not much. One person ventured to the office downtown, and said it wasn't bad at all, just a couple of icy patches on the overpasses.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 01:15:34 pm »
Quote:

My street down SW still looks like a big ice block, too. Kinda thawing, but not much. One person ventured to the office downtown, and said it wasn't bad at all, just a couple of icy patches on the overpasses.

I've got 3/4" to 1" of ice on all of my trees (NW part of town), but the driveway and street are in pretty good shape.  I hope it starts to thaw soon because a couple of my oaks are sagging pretty severely, and I'd hate to lose them.

I've got VPN to the office, and there's no way I'm making myself a target for the other loonies out on the road.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

No? in Austin

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 01:16:01 pm »
Quote:

They announce to us (via phone messages) that our office was going to open after 1.  Then one of the people who ventured to the office to find out if it was passable had an accident right there on the overpass of Braker Ln and MoPac.

They left another message soon afterwards that the office is closed for the day.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:24 pm »
East Texas is shutting down schools and roads. I'm not sure I will even be able to make it home. The raods are either closed for ice or mud.

I loaded the back of my truck with logs a few days ago so I would have extra weight. I guess I could use them as firewood if things get desperate.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 04:48:45 pm »
You need to immediately go outside, build an alter of twigs and leaves and sacrifice it to the snow gods lest they be displeased.  You remember what happened the first year you moved here, right?  Ignorance will not protect you........
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 05:09:41 pm »
Quote:

You need to immediately go outside, build an alter of twigs and leaves and sacrifice it to the snow gods lest they be displeased.  You remember what happened the first year you moved here, right?  Ignorance will not protect you........

Just when you think you're out of the woods, 18 inches of snow will be dumped on you in late February -- and every supermarket in the area will be cleared of toilet paper, bottled water, etc., as if a new Ice Age is returning.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 05:10:36 pm »
Quote:

Ain't skeered!

Ignorance been berry, berry good to me!

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 06:42:28 pm »
God Bless Austin, Texas. We went to the grocery store yesterday.
They were out of:

Keystone Light
Plastic Cups

They were very low on:

Toilet paper.
Breads of any kind

So, as far as I can tell, the good people of Austin are out playing beerpong and then getting the beer-squirts afterwords.

And then having a sandwich.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 11:17:50 am »
Quote:

They were out of:

Keystone Light
Plastic Cups

They were very low on:

Toilet paper.
Breads of any kind

So, as far as I can tell, the good people of Austin are out playing beerpong and then getting the beer-squirts afterwords.

I think you're on to something.  I was at the HEB checkout yesterday when a malfunction occured at the register.  While it was being attended, I glanced at the stuff the guy behind me had placed on the stand:
1. One 12 pack of Schlitz Beer (yes, Schlitz).
2. Two bags of fried pork skins.
3. Two cans of Armour Potted Meat Product.
4. One pound of Hill Country Fair bacon.
5. One issue of "Town and Country" magazine.

I spent the better part of last night attempting to reconcile number five with the remaining purchase items but have decided that it's a mystery wrapped inside a puzzle inside of an enigma.  Sort of like Morgan Ensberg's batting approach.
Purity of Essence

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 11:59:50 am »
Quote:

Quote:

They were out of:

Keystone Light
Plastic Cups

They were very low on:

Toilet paper.
Breads of any kind

I think you're on to something.  I was at the HEB checkout yesterday when a malfunction occured at the register.  While it was being attended, I glanced at the stuff the guy behind me had placed on the stand:

I spent the better part of last night attempting to reconcile number five with the remaining purchase items but have decided that it's a mystery wrapped inside a puzzle inside of an enigma.  Sort of like Morgan Ensberg's batting approach.

The 2007 Hall of Fame clippings have officially begun.

Is it possible that the toilet paper at the store ran out, and the issue of Town & County is for those purposes? Items 1 through 4 would certainly present a need.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2007, 12:14:53 pm »
This would make a great Reality/Perception campaign like Rolling Stone did in the 80's...but for the T&C's competition.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 12:33:35 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

They were out of:

Keystone Light
Plastic Cups

They were very low on:

Toilet paper.
Breads of any kind

#5 was for the missus.... what's the big deal? you never buy tampons?

rifraft

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »
Quote:

I disagree, I think 1-4 were for the missus, and 5 was for him.
that's just a guess, though.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2007, 12:41:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree, I think 1-4 were for the missus, and 5 was for him.
that's just a guess, though.

I think #1 was for him, and #s 2-5 were for the missus who will be damned if some ice is going to get in the way of her New Year's resolution Atkins Diet.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2007, 12:42:26 pm »
I thought about that, but I'm fairly sure that if this guy has a wife, she ain't the type to be reading Town and Country.
Purity of Essence