Author Topic: Now what happens with Clemens  (Read 2567 times)

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Now what happens with Clemens
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:09:05 am »
I realize that's not decided yet and Pettitte's decision may or may not be a factor but I got this link off the Chron to Dayne Perry.  This guy is an idiot, and as far as I'm concerned, a world class shit for brains.

Check out what he said about Katy:

Option 5: Sign with the Yankees

Clemens won two World Series rings in the Bronx, and if he returned all would be forgiven for his "play action" retirement of 2003. Certifiable World Series contender? Check. DH rule? Check. Potent offense that will give him lots of opportunities for wins? Check. Closer that won't blow many? Check. Good buddy and workout partner Pettitte now in the fold? Check. Of course, NYC is a long way from Katy, Texas. (Believe it or not, for purposes of this discussion, that's a bad thing.) Still, the idea of pitching alongside Pettitte and possibly in the World Series once again should be mighty tempting.

Now, I've been to Katy as well New York, Boston, most of California, and even lived in Europe.  I'd take Katy ,TX over any of those places.  Those other places are fun to visit but they have nothing that appeals to me long term.  

Rest of the story.

The rest of the article is a fair enough breakdown.  I just don't see why this ass-wipe needs to dog Texas.  Oh wait, we're just a bunch of 'necks around here.  What was I thinking?
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Re: Now what happens with Clemens
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:39:16 am »
Isn't Clemens' primary residence in the Memorial area and not Katy?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 12:19:19 pm »
You know what, I used to spend a great part of my life defending Texas when I heard or read stupid ignorant shit like this.  In the last few years, I've come to realize that, honestly, it's fine.  

If you don't wanna be in Texas...don't COME to Texas.  We got enough people here already that just bitch and complain about how "hot it is" or how "humid it is" or how it's not like where ever they came from.  Don't like it?  Don't move here.  Already here and don't like it?  Go home.  We like it.  A lot.  And we don't need some pantywaist, sallypants, cheese-eating, snowshoveling, subway-riding, prozac-popping lunatic validating Texas for us.  Stay in NY.  Stay in LA.  Please.  And keep on telling your fucking friends what a terrible place it is here, so they will leave more of Texas for us.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 12:31:07 pm »
Quote:

Yes, has been for about two decades.
Lighten up, Francis.

Browneye

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 12:42:06 pm »
Quote:

You know what, I used to spend a great part of my life defending Texas when I heard or read stupid ignorant shit like this.  In the last few years, I've come to realize that, honestly, it's fine.  

If you don't wanna be in Texas...don't COME to Texas.  We got enough people here already that just bitch and complain about how "hot it is" or how "humid it is" or how it's not like where ever they came from.  Don't like it?  Don't move here.  Already here and don't like it?  Go home.  We like it.  A lot.  And we don't need some pantywaist, sallypants, cheese-eating, snowshoveling, subway-riding, prozac-popping lunatic validating Texas for us.  Stay in NY.  Stay in LA.  Please.  And keep on telling your fucking friends what a terrible place it is here, so they will leave more of Texas for us.

Give that man a harump.

If I could leave here and go back to Texas, I would do so in a heartbeat. I here people tell me alot that they love the people in Texas. Nice and friendly, just too hot.

There are two types of people out there...People from Texas and people who wish they were.

I wish I could go back to my home state, but I am also afraid of what I might find in Houston. I grew up in Sharpstown, went to Welch Middle School and then moved to Alief and went to Elsik. I have heard there is a freeway along Elsik and Hastings now and my best friend, a Houston cop, says I dont even want to see my old neighborhoods. Apparently, they have become New Orleans south.

Shame.
"Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again."

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:44:39 pm »
Quote:

Yes. He lives 12 miles from downtown in one of the nicest and wealthiest parts of the city. A comparable place in the New York area might cost three or four times what it does here.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:48:36 pm »
Quote:

I wish I could go back to my home state, but I am also afraid of what I might find in Houston. I grew up in Sharpstown, went to Welch Middle School and then moved to Alief and went to Elsik. I have heard there is a freeway along Elsik and Hastings now and my best friend, a Houston cop, says I dont even want to see my old neighborhoods. Apparently, they have become New Orleans south.

The Westpark Tollway runs parallel to Alief-Clodine behind the stadium and Amity Park. It's not necessarily dangerous driving through Alief now, but many of the apartment complexes in the area are overrun with gangs. Some of the best Chinese and Vietnamese food in town can be found along Bellaire and Beechnut.

Browneye

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:08:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The Westpark Tollway runs parallel to Alief-Clodine behind the stadium and Amity Park. It's not necessarily dangerous driving through Alief now, but many of the apartment complexes in the area are overrun with gangs. Some of the best Chinese and Vietnamese food in town can be found along Bellaire and Beechnut.

Wasnt there are a train track along Alief-Clodine? Is this tollway over the track? I lived off of Bellaire near Westeimer for a while before we moved again to a place near the West Oaks mall. I remember when highway 6 was a 2 lane road and could cross the street on a bicycle.
"Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:19:06 pm »
its really ashamed about alief.. i lived there with my family when it still was not annexed and was like a small town with its own post office.. one time when we where in houston to see the stros.. we went back by our old home..(when we lived there it was a middle class type decent neighborhood) the house was now painted something close to a shade of pink.. it was hard to see...
forever is composed entirely of nows

Browneye

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 01:28:33 pm »
Quote:

its really ashamed about alief.. i lived there with my family when it still was not annexed and was like a small town with its own post office.. one time when we where in houston to see the stros.. we went back by our old home..(when we lived there it was a middle class type decent neighborhood) the house was now painted something close to a shade of pink.. it was hard to see...

That is what I am afraid of in both Alief and in the neighborhood near Sharpstown. The Sharpstown mall was OK when I was there last, but I have heard it has turned to shit. Is Westwood mall even open anymore. I hear Astroworld is gone. Is Fame City gone too? Not a bad place to grow up back in the late 70's to early 90's

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:30:45 pm »
i, for one, do not fucking care.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 01:37:40 pm »
westwood was torn down many years ago and sharpstown is a shell.. but yes fame city is still around
forever is composed entirely of nows

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 01:46:14 pm »
Quote:

Well, ok.  So, if we just assume AP and RC are both gone and don't care....why don't we get serious about Zito?  YES, he'll cost a fortune, but.....so what?  We know McLane wants to win and Zito would cost less than the Pettitte/Clemens combo.  

It'd give us a solid enough rotation and cost less than the Astros were already planning to spend this season.

Phil_in_CS

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 01:55:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Well, ok.  So, if we just assume AP and RC are both gone and don't care....why don't we get serious about Zito?  YES, he'll cost a fortune, but.....so what?  We know McLane wants to win and Zito would cost less than the Pettitte/Clemens combo.  

It'd give us a solid enough rotation and cost less than the Astros were already planning to spend this season.

I'd think the money spent on those two last year would pay for a full year of Zito this year.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:51:51 am »
Quote:

westwood was torn down many years ago and sharpstown is a shell.. but yes fame city is still around

Westwood was not torn down. I think it's some kind of technical learning center now. Sharpstown is still a mall, but rather unsavory.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 12:53:36 am »
Quote:

Wasnt there are a train track along Alief-Clodine? Is this tollway over the track? I lived off of Bellaire near Westeimer for a while before we moved again to a place near the West Oaks mall. I remember when highway 6 was a 2 lane road and could cross the street on a bicycle.

Yes, there was a train right-of-way there. The tollway there now is a huge four-lane elevated freeway.

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 10:59:11 am »
Maybe it's me, but does Andy seem a little bitter here?  I can't imagine this statement coming out with a smile on his face.

When asked what he thought Clemens would do next year, Pettitte shrugged, saying that he's seen Clemens three times this offseason -- all at golf tournaments -- and that he never discussed his own future, let alone Clemens'.

"I don't know what Roger's going to do," Pettitte said. "I worry about what Andy Pettitte has to do and go from there. Roger's the greatest baseball player to ever play this game, and I've been saying that and I think he's proven that, with what he's done in this ballpark, in this era, pitching. He's a grown man also. What he does is his decision."

more Clemens speculation...
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 11:17:45 am »
"I worry about what Andy Pettitte has to do and go from there."

Wow. That's some serious third-person from Andy Pettitte. Maybe Ty in Tampa has misjudged Andy Pettitte all along.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 11:19:23 am »
Quote:

We know McLane wants to win and Zito would cost less than the Pettitte/Clemens combo.

...and most likely pitch an entire season.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 11:22:10 am »
Quote:

Yes, there was a train right-of-way there. The tollway there now is a huge four-lane elevated freeway.

I have a colleague who moved out to Katy (Fry Road) in anticipation of the tollway.  It was a struggle for a while, but then they got it all the way to his neighbourhood and he was happy.  Then they extended it way past him, and opened up the ramp from the Beltway.  Now he has the privilige of paying $10 a day to sit in the same stalled traffic that he always used to.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 11:30:45 am »
Quote:

The Sharpstown mall was OK when I was there last...

Apparently, it's been a while since you were there last.  Like 1974.
Lighten up, Francis.