Author Topic: Palmeiro?  (Read 3613 times)

Jake

• Clark
    • View Profile
Palmeiro?
« on: September 02, 2006, 12:26:14 am »
I know a lot of people here are pro-Orlando, and in the past, I was too.  But I have to wonder why on earth does Garner pinch hit with Palmeiro tonight?  With Lamb, Scott and Huff as lefties on the bench, it just seems crazy.  Palmeiro is hitting below .230, yet somehow finds a way into almost every game.

I realize I don't post a lot, but I just wanted some feedback on this issue.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
Re: Palmeiro?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:35:09 am »
Quote:

I realize I don't post a lot, but I just wanted some feedback on this issue.

Well, for one thing, Huff pinch hit in the 4th, so he was gone. Palmeiro is a contact hitter, and rarely strikes out. A damn good bench player that is also signed for next year. I'm sure Lamb was saved for the later innings, just in case.

ETA: Palmeiro was 2-6 against the submarining Bradford before tonight, so he was the player most familiar with his funky delivery.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:52:17 am »
Quote:

Palmeiro is a contact hitter, and rarely strikes out. A damn good bench player that is also signed for next year.

I love Palmeiro. But calling him "a damn good bench player" is a stretch.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 09:56:09 am »
You might want to check the site glossary and re-think your handle.  Or not.  'Tis up to you.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Jake

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:48:54 pm »
Forgot about Huff, and did not know OP's history against the submariner.  Thanks for the info.  

It still seems like OP is going for the record number of pinch hit appearances in a season.

pravata

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 12:54:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Palmeiro is a contact hitter, and rarely strikes out. A damn good bench player that is also signed for next year.

What are you looking for in a bench player?

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are you looking for in a bench player?

I think it depends. And I'm a fan of Palmeiro, by the way. My only point is that "damn good" is an overstatement.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:57:29 pm »
no, it is not.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duder

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 07:18:55 pm »
There's a big difference between being a "damn good" player and a "damn good" bench player.  So, I don't think it is an overstatement at all to call Palmeiro a "damn good" bench player.  He does his job well.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 02:14:33 am »
Quote:

There's a big difference between being a "damn good" player and a "damn good" bench player.  So, I don't think it is an overstatement at all to call Palmeiro a "damn good" bench player.  He does his job well.

If I understand you correctly, you're citing a self-evident clarification as evidence of your conclusion.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 02:16:27 am »
Quote:

no, it is not.

Perhaps it's just a semantic difference. I'll move on...

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 04:23:02 am »
Quote:

It still seems like OP is going for the record number of pinch hit appearances in a season.

Well, the record is 95, so OP is going to come up short, as he sits at 69 appearances.

Who hold that record? Anyone wanna guess?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 01:59:54 pm »
Jerry Lynch?

Smokey Burgess?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 02:18:41 pm »
Lenny Harris?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 07:06:57 pm »
Quote:

Lenny Harris?

Yep, in 2001 with the Mets.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 07:16:58 pm »
Quote:

Jerry Lynch?

Lynch shares the record (w/ Cronin & Staub) for most PH RBI's in a season with 25.

PH records

chuckd

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 10:53:59 pm »
What does he have on Garner that Garner uses him so much?The bat on monday called for a hit not contact. There were 2 outs.

No? in Austin

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 12:28:40 am »
Quote:

What does he have on Garner that Garner uses him so much?The bat on monday called for a hit not contact. There were 2 outs.

Contact is the way a hit comes about.  You put the ball in play, many things can happen.  I'm sure the question from most is why use Palmeiro instead of Luke Scott.

1. Palmeiro is a veteran bench player.
2. Luke Scott is not a veteran nor a bench player.
3. Veteran bench players know how to pinch hit and what is necessary in terms of approach.
4. Non-veteran bench players find it hard to do what is considered the hardest job in baseball because they're not used to the proper approach to pinch hitting.

So all in all, it was a calculated move by Scrap Iron.  That is didn't work out does not mean it wasn't the proper move.  Execution is the worse way to judge a managerial move.

David in Jackson

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 10:13:18 am »
I like Orlando, but he's had a miserable season and may be nearing the end.

He's had 6 walks this season.  He has no power.  His BA is way down. His speed is average.

Palmeiro does generally work the count well, is a smart baserunner, and plays a good corner OF.  He's way down from the decent year he turned in last year, much less the good couple of years we got from Orlando Merced in a similar role.  He's in Mieske-territory.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 11:29:59 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Contact is the way a hit comes about.  You put the ball in play, many things can happen.  I'm sure the question from most is why use Palmeiro instead of Luke Scott.

3. Veteran bench players know how to pinch hit and what is necessary in terms of approach.
4. Non-veteran bench players find it hard to do what is considered the hardest job in baseball because they're not used to the proper approach to pinch hitting.

So all in all, it was a calculated move by Scrap Iron.  That is didn't work out does not mean it wasn't the proper move.  Execution is the worse way to judge a managerial move.

His approach is great: he works the count, fouls off pitches, makes the pitcher show him everything he's got. It just seems that this season his swing is off so when he finally does get that pitch he's waiting for, he meekly grounds out to the pitcher or second base.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

pravata

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 12:58:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

His approach is great: he works the count, fouls off pitches, makes the pitcher show him everything he's got. It just seems that this season his swing is off so when he finally does get that pitch he's waiting for, he meekly grounds out to the pitcher or second base.

December 8, 2005, Dallas, TX -- Astros re-sign Orlando Palmeiro... to a two-year, $1.9 million contract on Thursday. The Link

Either we go with Noe's explanation or "he got somethin on Garner".

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 01:26:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

December 8, 2005, Dallas, TX -- Astros re-sign Orlando Palmeiro... to a two-year, $1.9 million contract on Thursday. The Link

Either we go with Noe's explanation or "he got somethin on Garner".

Noe's obviously correct. OP has a great approach, which is why he's been a very good pinch hitter over his career. It's just not working out for him this season like it has in the past; he puts the ball in play but doesn't consistently hit it as sqaurely as he has in seasons passed (past?). That suggests to me that while he still has the terrific pinch hitting approach, something changed in his swing. The lesson, suffice to say, is that pinch hitting is really difficult, and one is better off sending up a professional hitter with the right approach as being more likely to succeed than someone who has had recent success hitting as a starter.

OP's track record evidently warranted a two year deal to keep him from slipping away, and his track record also suggests that this year his relative lack of success is the exception and not the rule.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 01:40:41 pm »
Quote:

The lesson, suffice to say, is that pinch hitting is really difficult, and one is better off sending up a professional hitter with the right approach as being more likely to succeed than someone who has had recent success hitting as a starter.

I know that if I had Berkman on the bench, I'd certainly prefer Palmeiro over him.

No? in Austin

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 03:17:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The lesson, suffice to say, is that pinch hitting is really difficult, and one is better off sending up a professional hitter with the right approach as being more likely to succeed than someone who has had recent success hitting as a starter.

I know that if I had Berkman on the bench, I'd certainly prefer Palmeiro over him.

Why would Berkman be on your bench?

No? in Austin

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 03:23:22 pm »
Quote:

It's just not working out for him this season like it has in the past; he puts the ball in play but doesn't consistently hit it as sqaurely as he has in seasons passed (past?). That suggests to me that while he still has the terrific pinch hitting approach, something changed in his swing.

In such a case, you look for bat speed... or a loss therein.  Palmeiro still turns on an inside pitch rather well, so I haven't seen (from my obviously warped viewpoint from this side of the television camera) a loss of bat speed.

So must be some good pitching on the other side getting him out more consistently.  Such is the nature of baseball, adjustments countered by adjustments.  Pinch hitting is still the hardest thing to do in the majors, so again, Garner did nothing wrong in his thinking of choosing Palmeiro.  That Palmeiro didn't come through is not an indictment on Garner and not on Orlando either.

The pitcher, Rick White, did well to get both Everett and Palmeiro out.  Prior to the Palmeiro and White confrontation, the battery had a meeting on the mound.  White seemed to do all the talking, so he knew what it was he wanted to do against Palmeiro.  He did it well, so tip your cap.

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 04:57:28 pm »
Less than 100 AB (most of those in the pinch) isn't much when you're talking about batting average.  Just a little less than 2 more hits per month and he would have a .300+ BA.  The fact that his K's per AB (and his # of pitches per PA) are still in line with what it looks like he has done in the past seem to show he's still giving the club good ABs and putting the bat on the ball.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 01:48:47 am »
Quote:

Well stated. Though I would add that, if memory serves, Luke Scott had one of the most valuable pinch hit appearances in Astros history last season.