Author Topic: Non BB - Relocation to Houston  (Read 5956 times)

Señor Stan

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
Non BB - Relocation to Houston
« on: September 01, 2006, 11:48:40 am »
Hey gang,

There is a high probability that I will be relocating from San Antonio to the Houston area. My new job would be around the 610-I10 interchange on the East side of town (around the McCarty exit).

any ideas as to good places to live?...

I have 5 kids so a family oriented community is a must.

We currently live in the Hill Country on about an acre and a half, and we would prefer to live in a "country" setting vs. the city, but I don't know if that is a reasonble expectation given the location of the job.

Please give me your opinions of where to start looking!

thanks,

Stan

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
Re: Non BB - Relocation to Houston
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:51:16 am »
How much of a commute are you willing to put up with? (Both time *and* distance.)
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:53:48 am »
Quote:

The Hill Country around San Antonio is nice...

Seriously: it depends what you want.  Are you looking for oodles of space, or something more urban.  For the latter, the Heights would be a good call.  For the former you might want to look up 59 as that's a pretty decent road (I think) coming in from the north.  Alternatively, you can look south of Downtown in Pearland; don't expect any trees or topography, though.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:55:07 am »
I would be OK with about a 45 minute commute...

Miles don't really matter if I can get the drive time in line.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:56:53 am »
Look at Mont Belvieu for the East Side.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Andyzipp

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:01:54 pm »
Kingwood is more of a master planned type community.

There's larger plots of land available towards Humble, or you can continue more East and look at Dayton, etc.

No? in Austin

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 12:07:17 pm »
Quote:

Sounds like you're talking about the Kingwood area to me.  Good family area, nice wooded community.  45 minutes?  Yeah, that might happen.

If you head east from your job location, you can try Channelview or Northshore.  There are some nice areas around there, but not as nice as Kingwood would be.  West of your locale and you're talking about downtown to near downtown and as Limey mentioned, you might be looking at the Heights area.  North of your locale is industrial area, so you're talking about a pretty good trek before you get to a community you might enjoy.  Perhaps some of the area around the Montrose/University area... but unless you're extremely well off, good look finding a place!

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 12:11:38 pm »
There are tons of new sub-divisions in Humble/Atascocita. But let me tell you the traffic is awful during rush hour am/pm. I live in Atascocita and work only 6 miles away (downtown Humble) and it takes me 30 minutes to get to work and anywhere from 30-45 minutes to get home at night. And the schools (Humble & Atascocita) are already over populated. Another thing to consider about Humble, their school system has gone down the toilet since I went there.
It's all part of the game.....

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 12:17:37 pm »
I live in Kingwood, and we love it, but I don't think it would match your 45 minute commute.  You may want to check out Summerwood.  That place has really exploded with new developments and nice perks like a community swimming center with a "water-park" type layout.  Huffman may give you more land than Summerwood and you could still have that community feel, but I'm not sure what that would do for your commute.  Still around 45 minutes, I would guess.

And you may want to check out Crosby.  This would be the more rural (more land) of the three, so less "community" but with 5 kiddos, you have your own community, so it may not be that big of a deal.

With Huffman and Crosby, they both have their "less than desirable" spots, but with the help of a good agent, you can find really good places to live in each of these.
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 12:30:23 pm »
Quote:

If you're willing to go that far, you might consider Porter or New Caney area, which is up north of Kingwood.  It's a drive on 59, but it's not a terrible one, I don't think.  And it may actually be an easier drive from some of the closer places due to easier access to the freeway.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 12:31:51 pm »
Quote:

Another thing to consider about Humble, their school system has gone down the toilet since I went there.

Hard to believe, just one person can ruin a whole school district like that.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 12:33:35 pm »
do not move.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 12:39:23 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas...looks like we have our work cut out for us.  

By all means keep 'em coming because my Houston experience to this point has been...

1. Stay at the Holiday Inn
2. Astroworld during the day
3. Astro games at night
4. repeat steps 2-3 for a week

Thanks again to all...

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 12:40:47 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

If you're willing to go that far, you might consider Porter or New Caney area, which is up north of Kingwood.  It's a drive on 59, but it's not a terrible one, I don't think.  And it may actually be an easier drive from some of the closer places due to easier access to the freeway.

He'd still have to get through/past the "closer" places, to get to work at I-10East and the east loop.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:45:43 pm »
Quote:

He'd still have to get through/past the "closer" places, to get to work at I-10East and the east loop.

Yeah, but on the freeway.  From what I understand of Kingwood, the 30 minute part of your 45-minute commute is getting out of your subdivision.

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 12:45:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Another thing to consider about Humble, their school system has gone down the toilet since I went there.

Hard to believe, just one person can ruin a whole school district like that.

Hey it wasn't me....now my sister on the other hand...:)

Andyzipp

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 12:46:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When I worked over there about a year and a half ago, most of our employees either lived in Baytown or Humble/Kingwood.  The H/Ks backtracked to the beltway and claimed that it was a pretty easy drive.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 12:47:42 pm »
Quote:

Thanks for all the ideas...looks like we have our work cut out for us.  

By all means keep 'em coming because my Houston experience to this point has been...

1. Stay at the Holiday Inn
2. Astroworld during the day
3. Astro games at night
4. repeat steps 2-3 for a week

Thanks again to all...

There's a big empty field just across the freeway from the Dome.  Maybe you could get that on the cheap.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 01:02:50 pm »
sadly astroworld is no longer with us..but i houston does have some non sports related venus.. my kids loved the museums growing up.and the zoo was free.gosh dont get me going down memory lane
forever is composed entirely of nows

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 01:11:51 pm »
Quote:

but i houston does have some non sports related venus..

I hear the hookers are fabulous.
Goin' for a bus ride.

strosrays

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 01:45:07 pm »
"Old" Kingwood has bigger yards and generally speaking one can get much more house for the money than one can in the more recently developed areas.  Just make sure you are out of the San Jac river floodplain.  If you have to go down a bluff to get to your property, or see any building in about a mile radius up on pilings, well...

I don't know any part of Kingwood from which you can get to downtown in a 45 minute commute, though.  On the other hand, the beltway wasn't really an option yet when I lived there.

The closest thing to Hill Country ambience is probably Sealy, but that is pretty far out.  Still, you could keep a close eye on feeder steer and heifer prices and hog belly futures from there.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 02:16:19 pm »
Quote:

You're both off the hook.  Mrs Limey went to Humble High.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 03:09:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

whew! that's a relief....off the hook. It's too bad, Humble wasn't a bad school until about 1997-1998. Now it's just a  place for the gang bangers to hang out.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 03:16:45 pm »
Quote:

The closest thing to Hill Country ambience is probably Sealy, but that is pretty far out.

Except for the complete absence of hills, of course.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 03:46:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The closest thing to Hill Country ambience is probably Sealy, but that is pretty far out.

Except for the complete absence of hills, of course.

Ant hills don't count?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 04:00:15 pm »
Quote:

I don't know any part of Kingwood from which you can get to downtown in a 45 minute commute, though.  On the other hand, the beltway wasn't really an option yet when I lived there.

This past Sunday we left our driveway in Kingwood at 10:30am, and arrived in the door at Annunciation (Catholic Church right across the street from MMPUS) at 11:00am.  I couldn't believe it.  I kept telling my wife that there was no way we'd be at Mass on time, but we walked in with the Priest!

I know that's on a Sunday morning, but my point is depending on where you are in Kingwood and the time that you commute, it is possible to be downtown in 45 minutes or less.
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

Guinness

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 04:13:28 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

AKA, 'Umble 'Igh...
It was known as Scumble when I was growing up in early 80s Spring...of course, they could just be a regional thing

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 04:28:34 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AKA, 'Umble 'Igh...
It was known as Scumble when I was growing up in early 80s Spring...of course, they could just be a regional thing

I guess so...I was there 86-90 so it must have been something else. While I was there we were up against Kingweed.....I think my sister was the same and she was there 92-96. I know her group always tried to burn down the Big Kingwood sign on West Lake Houston parkway.

davek

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 05:22:01 pm »
Quote:

I agree with Neil...

There are a number of "subdivisions" with 1/2 acre+ lots...

It's got one of the top school districts in the area (Barbers Hill ISD)...

It's Chambers County rather than Harris County...

And it's easily within the 45 minute commute time...
"You wait for a strike then you knock the shit out of it."  Stan Musial

Billy Zabka

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 05:45:19 pm »
I need to ask -

I-10 and 610 East - Are you working at the brewery?

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 06:15:38 pm »
Quote:

I need to ask -

I-10 and 610 East - Are you working at the brewery?

No, but I can see it from there.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 08:49:14 pm »
If you like a more small town/rural type setting, then Dayton/Crosby would be the first places I would look.  I have a client that lives in Crosby and he's mentioned often about how much he likes it (I'm not real familiar with the area).  I don't know about the schools there.  You would probably take Hwy 90, which is a straight shot to you new job.

Another possibility not mentioned would be Clear Lake down 45 south.  Thats a great area if you like being close to the water for fishing/boating etc.  You would have the options of commuting on 45/610 or BW8/I10.  Probably 45-60 minutes during rush hour.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2006, 09:03:45 pm »
Quote:

If you like a more small town/rural type setting, then Dayton/Crosby would be the first places I would look.  I have a client that lives in Crosby and he's mentioned often about how much he likes it (I'm not real familiar with the area).  I don't know about the schools there.  You would probably take Hwy 90, which is a straight shot to you new job.

For where you're going to work, Dayton and Crosby are what I would suggest too. You'll get more space for your money the farther east of the loop and north of 10 that you go. I work with someone who lives in Crosby and commutes downtown. He loves the space he has. It's more East Texas than Hill Country rural, though. That side of town has less traffic, and cheaper housing, than many of the other areas mentioned here.

gleach

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • Allison's Page
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2006, 10:04:19 pm »
I live in the front of Kingwood in a neighborhood called Forest Cove.  We have an acre lot and I am only three minutes from the freeway (59).  I leave for work at 7, and the traffic isn't bad for me.  I can't imagine it would take more than 35 minutes to get to your office in the morinng, as long as you can avoid Kingwood Drive.  But there is a low section and a high section of Forest Cove, and you need to be in the high section.  If you are driving through, you can clearly see the hill leading up and down. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area via PM and I will tell you all I know.
I love Geoff Leach.  Every day. 

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006, 10:16:44 pm »
Se?or, if need any info on bumfuck nowhere , let me know. I can see it from here. Of course, the commute would be murder.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 10:51:55 pm »
Mont Belvieu.  Good schools, past the industrial area, just about 45 minutes from 610, more rural than not.  It's got a huge tax base, so it's got some nice municipal extras like a good swimming pool and golf course.  

Ain't no Mont, no.

I wouldn't go to Crosby.  Unincorporated, Crosby schools, just a wee bit strange.  Collectively poor, so no extras.  Barrett Station may be the single wierdest neighborhood in the Houston area.

From where you're working, the Clear Lake area is probably as close as  Kingwood.  I like the notion of being close to saltwater.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

astrojo

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2006, 12:23:04 am »
Quote:

Mont Belvieu.  Good schools, past the industrial area, just about 45 minutes from 610, more rural than not.  It's got a huge tax base, so it's got some nice municipal extras like a good swimming pool and golf course.  

Ain't no Mont, no.

I wouldn't go to Crosby.  Unincorporated, Crosby schools, just a wee bit strange.  Collectively poor, so no extras.  Barrett Station may be the single wierdest neighborhood in the Houston area.

From where you're working, the Clear Lake area is probably as close as  Kingwood.  I like the notion of being close to saltwater.

I have nothing to add to the topic at hand, but just wanted to say howthehellareya to NeilT.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2006, 03:44:44 am »
You necks sure like to spend a lot of time in your cars. Or 'vehicles.'
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2006, 09:06:11 am »
Quote:

And trucks and autos... So, I guess that makes "necks" just like everybody else in the civilized world, save a few.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2006, 10:30:11 am »
Quote:

good, thanks.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 10:32:07 am »
good to see you back, Neil. that must have been a great vacation.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2006, 10:40:24 am »
Some was.  It's hard for me to talk rationally during seasons like this.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 02:22:20 pm »
Quote:

NO, NO, NO!!!  We can't build schools fast enough.  Tell everyone to STAY AWAY.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 09:41:47 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

We homeschool...no worries for you.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 01:00:03 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We homeschool also.  The Kingwood/Humble/Huffman area has a huge homeschool population with many options for homeschool groups if you so desire.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 11:27:02 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We homeschool also.  The Kingwood/Humble/Huffman area has a huge homeschool population with many options for homeschool groups if you so desire.

To hijack and thread and out of naivete and genuine curiosity possibly open up a can of worms:

What are the benefits of homeschooling? As someone who went to school before homeschooling became widespread (I know nobody who's 25-35 who was homeschooled), and as someone who is doesn't have his own school age children or school age nieces/nephews or friends with school aged chirldren, it's never come up in conversation and I've never given it much thought. That being said, what makes it attractive?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 01:27:37 pm »
Quote:

...homeschooling ... what makes it attractive?

I've no children but I would guess, the alternative.

Control over doctrine and outside influences, I imagine are of great appeal.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 02:06:17 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

...homeschooling ... what makes it attractive?

I've no children but I would guess, the alternative.

Control over doctrine and outside influences, I imagine are of great appeal.

That's a big part of it, if not the main reason why we homeschool.  Plus even our elementary schools are getting so overcrowded that the teacher/student ratio is getting out of hand and they must use temporary buildings to house all the students.

And I've always had issues with the TAKS test.  This is a minimum competency test, yet the schools "teach the TAKS test."  In other words, their syllabus is designed so that their students will pass the TAKS test and hence be at minimum competency.

We can't afford private school, so that's out of the question for the moment.  (Homeschooling isn't free either, as you have to buy all kinds of materials and textbooks.)

Of course we still have to pay outrageous taxes because we live in "such a good school district."  Some people use the argument that "you're paying for public school anyway, might as well use it," but again, for the reasons cited above, we're sticking with homeschooling for now.

We do keep an open mind on the matter and each year we discuss if my wife is still up to the challenge.  So far, all is well.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 04:10:04 pm »
Quote:

Of course we still have to pay outrageous taxes because we live in "such a good school district."

I have to pay outrageous taxes because I live in such a good district too, yet I dont' have any  children.  Thems the breaks.  I have to pay the taxes to live in a neighborhood where people are willing to pay higher taxes for better schools.  I guess we all benefit.

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
Re: Done Deal (Non BB)
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2006, 10:26:09 am »
It's a done deal.  I will be moving the tribe to Houston within the month.  Thanks for your help with the areas around Houston.  It will give us a good head start.

Thanks,

Stan

Quote:

Hey gang,

There is a high probability that I will be relocating from San Antonio to the Houston area. My new job would be around the 610-I10 interchange on the East side of town (around the McCarty exit).

I have 5 kids so a family oriented community is a must.

We currently live in the Hill Country on about an acre and a half, and we would prefer to live in a "country" setting vs. the city, but I don't know if that is a reasonble expectation given the location of the job.

Please give me your opinions of where to start looking!

thanks,

Stan

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Done Deal (Non BB)
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2006, 01:24:43 pm »
Quote:

It's a done deal.  I will be moving the tribe to Houston within the month.  Thanks for your help with the areas around Houston.  It will give us a good head start.

Thanks,

Stan

Cool.  I hope the Astros are still playing when you get here.