Author Topic: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 6.  (Read 19759 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 6.
« on: June 12, 2006, 11:56:58 am »
New thread.  We're post draft.  Draftees are being signed.  Short-season rosters are being formed.  The short-season clubs get underway starting next Tuesday the 20th.  And, I'm working on the draft recap.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 6.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
I think it official, the Hooks can say thank you to the Pirates for House and Cortes... Holy Cow are they producing well... even if you take into account their advanced age, they are helping keep that offense rolling along even as the younger guns occassionally hit some snags.

What have we heard about Cortes?  As a minor league FA I would guess this might be his best season to-date, but what is his story about his OF play (and other aspects)?

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:43:21 pm »
Quote:

I think it official, the Hooks can say thank you to the Pirates for House and Cortes... Holy Cow are they producing well... even if you take into account their advanced age, they are helping keep that offense rolling along even as the younger guns occassionally hit some snags.

What have we heard about Cortes?  As a minor league FA I would guess this might be his best season to-date, but what is his story about his OF play (and other aspects)?

Not enough pop to man the corner OF positions and not enough speed to run down balls in CF (though he did play some in center while in the Pirates organization).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:26:14 pm »
Cortes won both offensive and defensive player of the month for AA.

Although if you look at the list on the Astros site they change the s to z at the end of his name for defensive player.  So when listing him as offensive player he is Cortes and defensive player he is Cortez.

Thought that a big oops on someone's part.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:47:21 pm »
What is the story with Muecke this year?

He was never "great" in previous seasons but was decent to good.  This year he has been getting lit almost every time out.  Is he just overmatched at AA?  Injury issue? bad mechanics?   While I never though of him much more than a fringe type guy to this point, the way he is getting beat up is a bit surprising to me.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:00:37 pm »
Quote:

What is the story with Muecke this year?

He was never "great" in previous seasons but was decent to good.  This year he has been getting lit almost every time out.  Is he just overmatched at AA?  Injury issue? bad mechanics?   While I never though of him much more than a fringe type guy to this point, the way he is getting beat up is a bit surprising to me.

I was thinking he had a banged up wrist at the beginning of th year and tried to pitch through it briefly with little success.  Not 100% sure though.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Greeneville Repeats
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 04:04:24 pm »
I know rosters are being put together right now but I am looking at the EST list and I see the following as likely to repeat.  

Most likely to repeat:
Ryan Mitchell
Tim Johnson
Ralph Henriquez
Allen Langdon
Edgar Babilonia (old but learning a new position and was awful last year
Corey Bass

Do any of you see others on the list that are likely to stay at Rookie Ball another year?
Always ready to go to a game.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Greeneville Repeats
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 10:36:04 pm »
Quote:

I know rosters are being put together right now but I am looking at the EST list and I see the following as likely to repeat.  

Most likely to repeat:
Ryan Mitchell
Tim Johnson
Ralph Henriquez
Allen Langdon
Corey Bass

Do any of you see others on the list that are likely to stay at Rookie Ball another year?

Who plays SS at Tri-City if not Johnson?  Also, assuming Mitchell is out of the dog house, he should probably end up at Tri-City after starting the season at Lex.
Up in the Air

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Greeneville Repeats
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:11:38 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Most likely to repeat:
Ryan Mitchell
Tim Johnson
Ralph Henriquez
Allen Langdon
Corey Bass

Who plays SS at Tri-City if not Johnson?  Also, assuming Mitchell is out of the dog house, he should probably end up at Tri-City after starting the season at Lex.

I think you are thinking of McKeller not Mitchell.

As for the Tri Cities SS, I don't know but I didn't see Tim as ready to move to the next level at the end of last season.  He may have progressed  during the off season and extended spring.  

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Luke Scott
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:25:54 am »
I heard on a news channel last night (can't remember which one) that although Luke Scott belted his 18th HR last night that he would be in Houston today to have his elbow examined.  Apparently it's been bothering him.  Anyone have any info about it?
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

No? in Austin

Re: Luke Scott
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:29:40 am »
Quote:

I heard on a news channel last night (can't remember which one) that although Luke Scott belted his 18th HR last night that he would be in Houston today to have his elbow examined.  Apparently it's been bothering him.  Anyone have any info about it?

Tendinitis, the move to have the doctor look at it is precautionary to make sure no structural damage exist.

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Luke Scott
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 11:56:07 am »
Quote:

I heard on a news channel last night (can't remember which one) that although Luke Scott belted his 18th HR last night that he would be in Houston today...

I believe the exam is to be on Tuesday (which is an off-day for the Express).

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Tri Cities Roster is up
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 09:25:05 am »

Froback

• View Profile
Re: Tri Cities Roster is up
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 11:56:38 am »
I am all for getting young guys in the system, but Kyle DeYoung at 5 years old might be pushing it a bit.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:48 pm »
Some really useless trivia that I noticed after a quick glance at this roster.

We have a pitcher and 3B who have the same DOB.  Both are the youngest memebers of the team at 20.

Well youngest other than Kyle DeYoung that is.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 12:34:29 pm »
Quote:

The Link

Emphasizing the fluctuating nature of the SS rosters at this stage, see this  press release (which itself contains at least one error) which has a slightly different list of names.

I find interesting (though not surprising the way the draft went) is that the pitching staff has 7 left-handers on it.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 03:01:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The Link

Emphasizing the fluctuating nature of the SS rosters at this stage, see this  press release (which itself contains at least one error) which has a slightly different list of names.

I find interesting (though not surprising the way the draft went) is that the pitching staff has 7 left-handers on it.

What should be made of the fact that Jose Lopez isn't on any roster?  Is he odd man out or are they keeping him in EST until after the all star game and plan to do some moving of catchers and he will land in Lexington? If that is the case, who is likely to be released?

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 03:07:53 pm »
how much should be read into the fact that last years #2 pick (a catcher) and this years #1 pick (a catcher) both are not being assigned to Tri-City, thus both likely going to Greeneville?

Who is going to player Catcher?  Does this mean our pick this year is being moved already to 1B?  Just a thought that occured to me.

Also based on the OFers assigned to Tri-City, who plays the outfield, as it looks like they have 4 candidates for 3 spots (2 from this year's top 10 picks and 2 hold overs from last season)

Froback

• View Profile
Legends clinch first half title
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 04:12:18 pm »
It was appearing to be a for-gone conclusion, but it has happend.

Looking for a better link but here is one:

link (at bottom)

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 11:28:28 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Link

What should be made of the fact that Jose Lopez isn't on any roster?  Is he odd man out or are they keeping him in EST until after the all star game and plan to do some moving of catchers and he will land in Lexington? If that is the case, who is likely to be released?

He played for Lex in tonight's game. Cavers may have been DL'd.

Greg D

• View Profile
An extremely preliminary Greeneville roster is up...
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 08:28:49 am »
here at milb.com..

I don't think it's worth hashing around at this point until it gets closer to being finalized.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: An extremely preliminary Greeneville roster is up...
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 07:29:11 am »
Quote:

here at milb.com..

I don't think it's worth hashing around at this point until it gets closer to being finalized.

The Greeneville Site has alittle more but a very different pitching staff.  Maybe between the two there is a full roster.

The Link

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Player Movement
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
IIRC, the club typically moves a few players around at mid-season (ASB) if they are performing (i.e. Patton, Pence, Nieve and others last year).  What players should we expect to see moved following this years' series of minor league ASBs?
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Iorg article in Knoxville paper
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 09:37:39 am »
"I?ve got no indication on who is going to be called up," Lind said. "I would assume there will be a handful. Eli is still on the comeback trail ? so to speak ? after the slow start, but I can see him getting a chance at some point this season, maybe not at the half. Hopefully he does and puts himself in a position to play Double-A next season."

The Link
For some reason I can't link to the artcle so here is the front page, the title of Article is "Slow start at plate put Iorg in early rut"

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Sapp to Greeneville?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 11:25:11 am »
Any word on why he isn't on the roster yet?

Froback

• View Profile
Zobrist reinforces why he is my favorite Prospect
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 12:42:04 pm »
He may not be the #1 prospect in the org, in my mind or anyone elses, but he is my favorite right now.

Quote:

I think the mindset of the team is 'Tell me what my job is and I'll get it done.'

Talk about the RIGHT attitude to take.  I am really liking this group that is at AA right now, and am anxious to see how quickly they are allowed to develop and help the big club.

The whole article is pretty cool. link

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: Zobrist reinforces why he is my favorite Prospect
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 08:22:29 pm »
I'm headed to Corpus for the weekend and was wondering how the hell do I figure out who is pitching? As far as I can find, the CC hooks website doesn't give me any good information. Anyone know any good resources to find this out?

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Sapp to Greeneville?
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:13 pm »
Quote:

Because he's being assigned to Tri-City.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 08:38:52 pm »
Quote:

I'm headed to Corpus for the weekend and was wondering how the hell do I figure out who is pitching? As far as I can find, the CC hooks website doesn't give me any good information. Anyone know any good resources to find this out?

Mitch Talbot on Thursday is the only starter listed at this point. If you monitor the "game notes" section of the Hooks website over the next couple of days, they may list the other scheduled starters for the remainder of the Arkansas series.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 03:13:21 am »
Thanks alot, i really do appreciate it, Cheers.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 10:51:22 am »
Quote:

Quote:

This is interesting and a rarity.  IMO, this is the signal that Jose Lopez is at the bottom of the catching prospect ladder.  And, more importantly, it also says the Astros still believe in Henriquez as a catcher.  2007 catching assignments will be very interesting.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 11:17:52 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is interesting and a rarity.  IMO, this is the signal that Jose Lopez is at the bottom of the catching prospect ladder.  And, more importantly, it also says the Astros still believe in Henriquez as a catcher.  2007 catching assignments will be very interesting.

While the top of the org seems light on catchers they are developing a log-jam of them at lower levels.  I wonder if this will yeild to less patience with Santanglo's hitting issues and maybe some of the young guys defensive inadequacies.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 11:28:08 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

While the top of the org seems light on catchers they are developing a log-jam of them at lower levels.  I wonder if this will yeild to less patience with Santanglo's hitting issues and maybe some of the young guys defensive inadequacies.

The Astros have demonstrated a great deal of patience with catchers' development.  It's probably the most difficult position to master.  And, I don't expect that to change.  As of today, I expect to see Santangelo at AA next year, Towles at Salem, and who knows at Lex and Tri-City.  AAA will be interesting.  I'm thinking Gimenez and House with Q gone.
Goin' for a bus ride.

cutter

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 12:08:24 pm »
At some point the player development staff has to wake up to the fact that santangelio has yet to master ANY level he's been at. Hitting  less than 250 and being at the top of the  league in strike outs again ths year makes it hard to build a case to promote him again. Looking at his last 3 years nothing has changed.
It is interesting that santangelio has never hit above 275, even in college even with an alumium bat. He's shown promise at hitting a pitchers mistake, but we all know pitchers make fewer mistakes as they mover up.
Your insite, as to the astros thoughts, would be appreciated.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 12:45:17 pm »
Quote:

At some point the player development staff has to wake up to the fact that santangelio has yet to master ANY level he's been at. Hitting  less than 250 and being at the top of the  league in strike outs again ths year makes it hard to build a case to promote him again. Looking at his last 3 years nothing has changed.
It is interesting that santangelio has never hit above 275, even in college even with an alumium bat. He's shown promise at hitting a pitchers mistake, but we all know pitchers make fewer mistakes as they mover up.
Your insite, as to the astros thoughts, would be appreciated.

IIRC, you are quite passionate about Towles advancement.  Let me say that Santangelo's advancement and Towles' advancement are not related.  Lou is not blocking JR.  Towles is where he is because the Astros believe he's best there for now.  There is an attitude issue with Towles as well that the Astros would like to see improved.

As for Santangelo's quality and advancement, he's an advanced catcher who is well liked as a receiver.  His defensive prowess is on par with the guys at AAA.  Jimerson could be a model for the way the Astros see Santangelo's offense.  There are some in the org who still believe he can be a better hitter, ala Jimerson.  Also, Lou hit .300 with Clemson. The Link

Honestly, though, the Astros have shown with Ausmus they are most concerned with having a catcher who can get the job done behind the plate and with a quality attitude and sound baseball mind.  They'll take offense if they can get it but not at the expense of the other qualities.  Whoever the catcher of the future is going to be, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 01:13:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i thought the interview with sapp during last night's game was interesting in that hearing him talk you get such a good idea of how truly young these ml high school draftees can be.  at least with the nba or even top college football signees you have guys who've been such a major local celebrity that they have a sort-of pumped up maturity, but sapp reminded me of just a normal 17-18 year-old kid.  nothing wrong with that, it's just you forget this when you hear about signing bonuses and projections and all that stuff.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Future's Game rosters announced
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 03:39:57 pm »
The Link

For the US side the Astros are represented by Jason Hirsh and Hunter Pence.  Jackie Moore will serve as one of the coaches.

For the World side Dave Clark will serve as one of the coaches.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 03:45:34 pm »
Quote:

The Astros have demonstrated a great deal of patience with catchers' development.  It's probably the most difficult position to master.  And, I don't expect that to change.  As of today, I expect to see Santangelo at AA next year, Towles at Salem, and who knows at Lex and Tri-City.  AAA will be interesting.  I'm thinking Gimenez and House with Q gone.

I agree. But we have two guys who were just drafted high the past two drafts that are catchers amd we have Towles who alot of people are high on, Santangelo, House, along with the guys currently at AAA.  Not to mention other guys who have not gotten much pub yet.  While I know very little of their working or plans, I am just trying to put things into view about who is playing where to give optimal playing time to everyone, and it seems that there isn't enough to go around.  At best you are going to have two of our young catchers in SS this year who are likely to alternate betweeen C and DH.  Both need work behind the plate to develop that part of thier game, and neither will get enough work, IMO.  It really screams for starting the new "instructional" policy with new draftees like was discussed last year.

That would allow Sapp to go there and work while Ralph can play everyday at SS.  But that still wouldn't address the potential issue next year of the same problem.  But you would have a better idea of who is ready for what level.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 05:12:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. But we have two guys who were just drafted high the past two drafts that are catchers amd we have Towles who alot of people are high on, Santangelo, House, along with the guys currently at AAA.  Not to mention other guys who have not gotten much pub yet.  While I know very little of their working or plans, I am just trying to put things into view about who is playing where to give optimal playing time to everyone, and it seems that there isn't enough to go around.  At best you are going to have two of our young catchers in SS this year who are likely to alternate betweeen C and DH.  Both need work behind the plate to develop that part of thier game, and neither will get enough work, IMO.  It really screams for starting the new "instructional" policy with new draftees like was discussed last year.

That would allow Sapp to go there and work while Ralph can play everyday at SS.  But that still wouldn't address the potential issue next year of the same problem.  But you would have a better idea of who is ready for what level.

When I see this log jam I can't help but think that we are looking at some of these guys as either moving to another position or being trade bait (not the younger guys of course).  I wonder if there might be another club with a log jam of say corner infielders that might entertain a trade

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
All your box scores in one place
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 05:20:24 pm »
I stumbled on this yesterday.  It isn't updated until later in the morning but it has all the box scores for all Houston's affiliates on one page.  

I would also be interested in you guys take on their projection tools

The Link

Greg D

• View Profile
SS Timmy Johnson makes 5 errors...
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 12:39:18 am »
in Greeneville's 13-5 opening game loss.

Last year's 7th-round pick, who hit just .192 in 2005 for the G-Astros, also went 0-3 at the plate.

Froback

• View Profile
Tri-City bats
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »
Well if the first two games for Tri-City is any indicator, hitting won't be an issue.  15 hits in game 1 (a loss) and 17 in game 2 (a win).

BTW, Bogusevic started Game 2 (gave up 1 unearned run in 2 IP).  So it looks like he will start up in Tri-City again this year.

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Tri-City bats
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »
Quote:

Well if the first two games for Tri-City is any indicator, hitting won't be an issue.  15 hits in game 1 (a loss) and 17 in game 2 (a win).

BTW, Bogusevic started Game 2 (gave up 1 unearned run in 2 IP).  So it looks like he will start up in Tri-City again this year.

From the  transactions page:

Brian Bogusevic, LHP - (1) Placed on disabled list at Lexington with inflamed left elbow (May) (2) Activated from disabled list after missing seven weeks, then assigned to Tri-City on injury rehab (June)

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2006, 03:05:52 am »
7 strikeouts in 3 innings of relief bring Estrada's strikeout total to 86 in 52 IP for AA CC. What's the reason for the major strikeout spike? Anyone have a scouting report?

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2006, 12:18:45 pm »
Quote:

7 strikeouts in 3 innings of relief bring Estrada's strikeout total to 86 in 52 IP for AA CC. What's the reason for the major strikeout spike? Anyone have a scouting report?

He apparently has added a splitter this season.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2006, 03:59:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

He apparently has added a splitter this season.

And, it's Nasty.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Greeneville Report
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2006, 12:36:57 am »
Thanks to a rain out of my son's game, we were able to take in our first Greeneville Astros game of the year.

Liked:

Rosales - had one at bat where he fouled off at least 7 pitches, he didn't get a hit but it was impressive to see him battle in a late inning at bat.  He also had a nice stolen base.

Brown - runs well in the field and on the bases.  First ball, fast ball hitter

Henriquez - took two walks, that brings him up to 5 for the season through 6 games.  He only had 6 all of last year.  Had several nice blocks of balls in the dirt.

On the mound, Bass was inconsistant but did pitch out of a bases loaded, no out jam only allowing one run.  But he had put him self in the jam with a 4 pitch walk.  

Fox looked pretty good.  Mayora looked the best until the 10th.

In the 10th, with a runner on 3rd and two outs, DeJesus came out to the mound to visit with Mayora.  I thought he would walk Tyler Flowers, who had hit a monster home run earlier.  Instead, Mayora pitched to him and he knocked a double to the wall which gave the Braves the lead and eventually was the winning run.  Mayora may have been told to pitch around Flowers and made a mistake but I still think an inintial walk was in order.

Team must cut down on K's and runners left on base.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Towles
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2006, 10:44:55 am »
Towles left the game early yesterday, anyone know why?

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Towles
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2006, 09:13:46 pm »
Quote:

Towles left the game early yesterday, anyone know why?

Well he was in the lineup tonight, so there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with him (or at least nothing a swift kick in the ass wouldn't cure).

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Astacio to DL
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 05:56:56 pm »
I missed the report and haven't been able to find anything: do we know why Astacio is on the DL?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Astacio to DL
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2006, 06:09:13 pm »
Quote:

I missed the report and haven't been able to find anything: do we know why Astacio is on the DL?

Ezequiel Astacio, RHP - (1) Promoted to Houston from Round Rock (Apr.) (2) Returned to Round Rock (May) (3) Placed on disabled list with an ankle injury (June)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Astacio to DL
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2006, 06:39:51 pm »
Quote:

Ezequiel Astacio, RHP - (1) Promoted to Houston from Round Rock (Apr.) (2) Returned to Round Rock (May) (3) Placed on disabled list with an ankle injury (June)

Ahh, thanks.  I searched for "Astacio DL" and only found the mention in BTN #11.  I'll try to remember the transactions page for future reference.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Greeneville Report
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2006, 07:33:32 am »
Made it out to Pioneer Park last night:

Allen Langdon is simply tearing the cover off the ball.  Even his outs our well hit.

Raphie E had two doubles one a bloop and one a drive.  

Severino was good but wild.  Went 5 and gave up just one hit but 3 walks.  That gives him 5 walks in 10 innings on the year.

Good fundamentals:
In the 5th, Brandon Caipen led off with a double.  Re. Ramirez hit the ball to the right side to move him over and Rosales hit a sac fly to bring him home.  

Odd Play:
In the Greeneville half of the 8th, with runners at 1 & 3, Caipen grounds to short.  The shortstop then drills the crouching field ump in the tricept.  The ball deflected up the first base line almost to the bullpen allowing two runs to score and Caipen to advance to 3rd.  The ump was able finish the game but I bet he is sore this morning.

chuckd

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2006, 06:21:48 pm »
What is the scoop on Walter Young at Corpus?

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 09:42:28 pm »
Quote:

What is the scoop on Walter Young at Corpus?

The "scoop" is that he's roster filler who's on his second organization this year after being released earlier by the Padres. That also makes four organizations in the last four years as he has also been waived by the Pirates and the Orioles during that time period (though it should be noted that he did play 14 games in the bigs last season with Baltimore where he hit .303).

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Keep an eye on Langdon
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2006, 10:18:56 am »
Allen Langdon is tearing up the appy league through the first 12 games.  Langdon was drafted in the 10th round of the 05 draft and sat out much of last year hurt. Will turn 20 in September.

He is currently hitting .440, with a double, a triple and a HR.  OPS = 1.256.  6 walks and 6 k's in 25 AB's.  Looks like he might be visiting a higher level soon if he keeps this up.

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Keep an eye on Langdon
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2006, 11:30:50 am »
Quote:

Allen Langdon is tearing up the appy league through the first 12 games.  Langdon was drafted in the 10th round of the 05 draft and sat out much of last year hurt. Will turn 20 in September.

He is currently hitting .440, with a double, a triple and a HR.  OPS = 1.256.  6 walks and 6 k's in 25 AB's.  Looks like he might be visiting a higher level soon if he keeps this up.

He won't be going anywhere "soon".

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Zobrist?
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2006, 12:52:45 pm »
Just looking at his offensive stats through the minors, he looks great, especially for a middle infielder. However, he doesn't seem to generate much excitement on the prospect lists.  He wasn't on BA's list of top ten prospects and was only #8 on John Sickle's list.

Is this sentiment based on his age relative to his competition?  Are there some serious fielding issues keeping his stock down?  Just curious.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2006, 02:29:55 pm »
Quote:

Just looking at his offensive stats through the minors, he looks great, especially for a middle infielder. However, he doesn't seem to generate much excitement on the prospect lists.  He wasn't on BA's list of top ten prospects and was only #8 on John Sickle's list.

Is this sentiment based on his age relative to his competition?  Are there some serious fielding issues keeping his stock down?  Just curious.

Age.  He's just a year younger than Burke.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Gimenez
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2006, 04:45:18 pm »
It has gradually dawned on me that Gimenez has not been seen in action for a long time.  Q has caught 6-8 games ina row, and not even a PH appearance for Hector.  Any insight into his status?
Up in the Air

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2006, 06:50:42 pm »
I'm sure this has been discussed extensively, but I just did a search and didn't come up with anything. How's Zobrist defensively?

Thanks.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2006, 09:00:45 pm »
Quote:

I'm sure this has been discussed extensively, but I just did a search and didn't come up with anything. How's Zobrist defensively?

Thanks.

Usually, no news is good news, and in this case that's pretty much true.  He's good but not great.  I'm not sure how he compares to mlb shortstops, but if I understand the folks I've heard from correctly he'd likely be described as adequate.  He's got good range and his arm is fine but not a cannon.  I've heard his technique is good, but I'm looking for more input on that.
Goin' for a bus ride.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2006, 04:25:08 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Any chance he gets moved to AAA soon or is the combination of Robinson and Ransom holding that job down?

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2006, 08:18:04 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any chance he gets moved to AAA soon or is the combination of Robinson and Ransom holding that job down?

Thought it might be appropriate to note here that Capps said on the broadcast last night that Jesse Garcia has been cleared to play by the Astros doctors. And the Chron notes in today's paper that he and Zeke Astacio will come off the DL today.

Even including Garcia, I don't know that any of the aforementioned players are impediments to Zobrist being brought up. If the organization wants to see him in RR, they'll make whatever roster changes are necessary.

Greg D

• View Profile
Brian Bogusevic...
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2006, 08:47:28 am »
apparently his performance on Saturday night for Tri-City was good enough to warrant a return to Lexington. At least that's what the Chron is saying, which is reporting  Bogusevic is scheduled to return to the Legends' rotation sometime this week.

The Link

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Bogusevic...
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2006, 02:03:20 pm »
Quote:

apparently his performance on Saturday night for Tri-City was good enough to warrant a return to Lexington. At least that's what the Chron is saying, which is reporting  Bogusevic is scheduled to return to the Legends' rotation sometime this week.

The Link

I caught his last outing on the radio.  He pitched quite well.  He was shaky in the first inning giving up a couple of hits and wild pitches but settled down nicely.  He was on a pitch count of about 60.  His velocity peaked at 91 so he's still got some arm strength left to regain.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Greg D

• View Profile
Gimenez
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2006, 06:56:32 pm »
Quote:

It has gradually dawned on me that Gimenez has not been seen in action for a long time.  Q has caught 6-8 games ina row, and not even a PH appearance for Hector.  Any insight into his status?

The only response I could get when I asked the question was that he's "okay and is working out" (which is what you would have expected or else there would have been a roster move). I'll pass along anything else that comes along.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Greeneville Report
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2006, 08:07:04 am »
Last night, Greeneville responded to a packed house of over 3200 and survived 2 rain delays totaling just over 2 hours to win 11-3 over the Elizabethton Twins.  They singled them to death.  Only 2 of the 17 hits were extra base hits, both doubles.

Sergio Severino went 5 and looked good.  2 hits, no runs, two bb's, 1 hbp and 3 k's.  ERA for through 3 starts is 0.60

Ralph Enriquez led the 17 hit charge with a 4 for 5 night.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Jason Hirsh
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2006, 12:17:08 am »
I noticed he left tonight's start after just 64 pitches and he was throwing a 1 hitter. Was this just to get Baker work or did Hirsh leave with an injury?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Hirsh
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2006, 03:15:29 am »
Quote:

I noticed he left tonight's start after just 64 pitches and he was throwing a 1 hitter. Was this just to get Baker work or did Hirsh leave with an injury?

No injury reported, The Link, other than emotional.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Sheldon To Salem
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2006, 07:17:33 am »
Afterward, the Legends bid adieu to first baseman Ole Sheldon, who became the first Legend to be promoted this season.

Sheldon sat out a third straight game with wrist tendinitis. But he expects to be ready today, when he reports to High-A Salem.

The Link

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Sheldon To Salem
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2006, 07:45:59 am »
Quote:

Afterward, the Legends bid adieu to first baseman Ole Sheldon, who became the first Legend to be promoted this season.

Sheldon sat out a third straight game with wrist tendinitis. But he expects to be ready today, when he reports to High-A Salem.

The Link

Yeah, and Bogusevic is again a Legend.

The Link

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2006, 02:34:45 pm »
Quote:

If the organization wants to see him in RR, they'll make whatever roster changes are necessary.

So the comments about Pence were that he needed to work on hitting breaking balls better to get promoted.  I also remember some time ago that Purpura and the organization basically had a checklist of what a player needed to do to get promoted.  What's left on that list for Zorbrist?  Any thoughts on what he needs to do in CC to progress his skills (not necissarily performance) to get some time in RR?

BALUA

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2006, 04:00:47 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Hirsh  almost dominated Pacific Coast League now,would Astros call up him after All-star break ?or Astros consider Hirsh still need improve something such as command or changeup?

IndianaAstro

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2006, 04:43:08 pm »
Is it better for him to start in AAA or pitch out of the pen in the majors?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2006, 04:54:02 pm »
Quote:

Is it better for him to start in AAA or pitch out of the pen in the majors?

He could do either.  But, he continues to work on his consistency with his off-speed stuff and overall command.  He's best off in AAA for that.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2006, 04:55:58 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hirsh  almost dominated Pacific Coast League now,would Astros call up him after All-star break ?or Astros consider Hirsh still need improve something such as command or changeup?

Backe is the next to join the Astros.  Someone there will get demoted.  Hirsh will get called up when there is a spot with the Astros they think he is the best to fill.  It's hard to say when or if that will happen.  See my previous post on command on off-speed stuff.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2006, 05:13:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

If the organization wants to see him in RR, they'll make whatever roster changes are necessary.

So the comments about Pence were that he needed to work on hitting breaking balls better to get promoted.  I also remember some time ago that Purpura and the organization basically had a checklist of what a player needed to do to get promoted.  What's left on that list for Zorbrist?  Any thoughts on what he needs to do in CC to progress his skills (not necissarily performance) to get some time in RR?

Greg's statement is on the money.

It should be noted that 2 of the guys ahead of him at Round Rock, McEwing and Ransom, have MLB experience and were brought in for depth at those positions.  So, they will get much of the playing time.  Zobrist is fine where he is.  Where he needs most of his work is in the field.  He is a good but not great ss.  He can get just as much playing time in the field at CC as he can at RR.  The Astros aren't worried about his bat.  The expectation is that he'll do in AAA what he's doing now at AA.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2006, 08:08:22 pm »
I think Zobrist and Hirsh are going to stay where they are for the rest of this season because of the numbers game.  No real spot to move them to at the next level.

I think both could be on the ML squad next year though, Hirsh as a starter and Zobrist as a utility Infielder.  But that is speculation at this point.

But the odds look much better for Hirsh next season (again because of the numbers game).  Pettitte and Clemens are both in final years, and Pettitte has made some pre-season rumblings about this being his last season potentially... unless things change in a hurry I can see no reason to re-sign him at the price he would likely command.  Given those suppositions, Hirsh has a potential slot to fight for along with Zeke, Buchholz and Nieve.  I think Backe might find himself fighting those 3 off as well.  

While the last part might get some people miffed, I have seen nothing from Backe that would indicate a good 4/5 starter (occassional brilliance but average overall).  Whereas Hirsh has potential #1 stuff and Buchholz #2 stuff... I like Nieve, but still see him as a Dotel type, which is still a great pitcher, but maybe only a good starter.

Sorry to be so long in this (just back from vacation and missing Astros talk)

matadorph

• View Profile
Re: Hirsh?
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2006, 12:55:53 am »
Quote:

I think Zobrist and Hirsh are going to stay where they are for the rest of this season because of the numbers game.  No real spot to move them to at the next level.

Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, but I don't see Backe lasting very long once he returns. If he struggles or experiences pain in his right elbow, what are the chances that  Astros management decides to replace him on the roster with Hirsh? Assistant GM Ricky Bennett was in RR for Hirsh's start earlier this week. Can we assume the Astros are close to pulling the trigger on the towering right-hander, or is the front office just keeping a very close eye on the guy?

Froback

• View Profile
Re: Hirsh?
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2006, 03:32:10 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, but I don't see Backe lasting very long once he returns. If he struggles or experiences pain in his right elbow, what are the chances that  Astros management decides to replace him on the roster with Hirsh? Assistant GM Ricky Bennett was in RR for Hirsh's start earlier this week. Can we assume the Astros are close to pulling the trigger on the towering right-hander, or is the front office just keeping a very close eye on the guy?

If I had to guess, I would think the latter... But if you want to start some rumors... Maybe they were doing a check-up to determine if he is good enough that they don't trade him to help the big club or not.  Right now the big club needs some hitting to help Berkman, and pitching is most peoples request.  Personally I hope they keep him because I really like his potential.  I would prefer they look to move anyone other than Roy from the big club before him... but again, that is me.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Brad James two outs away from no no in Lex
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2006, 05:44:23 am »
He gave up a home run with one out in the 9th

"James faced 28 batters, striking out eight, walking two and hitting one. Eight outs came on grounders, eight on fly balls.

Lind said James' pitch limit was supposed to be 85 to 90 pitches, or seven innings. Instead, he threw 102 pitches.

"No-hitters fall into the special covenant," Lind said. "It was exciting, no doubt about it. He pitched a great game."

James' fastball consistently hit 94 mph and topped out at 97."

The Link

Article also says Fairchild promoted to Salem

Also at the game it was determined the umps needed to get a life:

"Public address announcer Brad Link and cameraman Larry Wintergreen were ejected by plate umpire Dan Oliver in the middle of the seventh inning. A video-board antic in which a cartoon "pie in the face" is superimposed over live shots of people at the park included one of the umpire."

The Link

Duder

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Cliff Davis
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2006, 07:37:05 am »
Anyone know where Cliff Davis has been this year?  I was expecting the Fairchild promotion for the last couple weeks.  Will Sergio Perez take his spot in the rotation?

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Cliff Davis
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2006, 08:54:26 am »
Quote:

Anyone know where Cliff Davis has been this year?

You've failed to grasp the concept of a  transaction page.

And if you read through earlier discussions in this forum, you'll also find information on Davis.

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Brad James two outs away from no no in Lex
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2006, 09:55:35 am »
Quote:

He gave up a home run with one out in the 9th

"James faced 28 batters, striking out eight, walking two and hitting one. Eight outs came on grounders, eight on fly balls.

Lind said James' pitch limit was supposed to be 85 to 90 pitches, or seven innings. Instead, he threw 102 pitches.

"No-hitters fall into the special covenant," Lind said. "It was exciting, no doubt about it. He pitched a great game."

James' fastball consistently hit 94 mph and topped out at 97."

The Link

Also this from the article:

"An off-season injury to his pitching elbow kept him from spring training. Once healthy, he rehabbed in extended spring training."

Quote:

Article also says Fairchild promoted to Salem

Tip is scheduled to start the Monday night game against Potomac.

Greg D

• View Profile
Salem starter promoted to CC?
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2006, 10:38:37 am »
This article from Greg Rajan notes that Blake Allen (who was the temporary starter with Juan Gutierrez on the shelf) has been released and that CC is to receive a starting pitcher sometime next week.

With Fairchild moving into the Salem starting rotation, that might suggest a promotion for one of the current Avalanche starters. Chad Reineke would seem to be the most likely choice if somebody does move up. Obviously, he's been far and away the most consistent starter this season for Salem. It should also be noted that CC needs a starter for Tuesday's game (that would have been Allen's next scheduled start). Tuesday would in fact be Reineke's next scheduled day to pitch.

The other possible promotion to CC would be Troy Patton, who's really come on of late. But if there is to be a promotion, I'd put my money on Reineke.

If someone from Salem does get promoted, it does beg the question as to what will happen when Guti comes back from the DL. But I suspect the Astros will be extremely cautious with him and may hold him out longer than originally projected.

My speculative take for the day...

astroline

• Clark
    • View Profile
Re: Salem starter promoted to CC?
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2006, 05:42:58 pm »
it's reineke

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
JR House
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2006, 03:30:43 am »
What's his contract situation? Did he just sign a 1 year minor league contract or do the Astros retain his rights next year as well?

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Salem starter promoted to CC?
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2006, 10:18:34 am »
Quote:

This article from Greg Rajan notes that Blake Allen (who was the temporary starter with Juan Gutierrez on the shelf) has been released and that CC is to receive a starting pitcher sometime next week.

With Fairchild moving into the Salem starting rotation, that might suggest a promotion for one of the current Avalanche starters. Chad Reineke would seem to be the most likely choice if somebody does move up. Obviously, he's been far and away the most consistent starter this season for Salem. It should also be noted that CC needs a starter for Tuesday's game (that would have been Allen's next scheduled start). Tuesday would in fact be Reineke's next scheduled day to pitch.

The other possible promotion to CC would be Troy Patton, who's really come on of late. But if there is to be a promotion, I'd put my money on Reineke.

If someone from Salem does get promoted, it does beg the question as to what will happen when Guti comes back from the DL. But I suspect the Astros will be extremely cautious with him and may hold him out longer than originally projected.

My speculative take for the day...

From the  Roanoke Times:

"Starter Chad Reineke was promoted to Class AA Corpus Christi on Saturday. He will replace starter Juan Gutierrez in the Hooks' rotation at least until Gutierrez, who pitched briefly for Salem at the end of last season, recovers from an injury."

Duder

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Hirsh to start Futures Game
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2006, 12:03:33 pm »
Jason Hirsh was named the starter for today's Futures Game.

The Link

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: JR House
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2006, 01:00:34 pm »
Quote:

What's his contract situation? Did he just sign a 1 year minor league contract or do the Astros retain his rights next year as well?

I'm pretty sure he'd be free to sign with anyone under the minor league free agency rules. However, this would become a moot point if Houston puts him on the 40-man roster.

Duder

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Pence BP
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2006, 03:36:20 am »
This is what Baseball America had to say about Pence after watching him take batting practice.  

"U.S. team memebers Stephen Drew (Diamondbacks), Josh Fields (White Sox), Alex Gordon (Royals), Howie Kendrick (Angels) and Hunter Pence (Astros) took part in the first group, which was actually not when you wanted to hit. The American team hardly had time to stretch before the quintet hopped into the batting cage, so they were just getting stretched out in their first round or two. Pence stood out the most in the group for several reasons--his shots sounded the loudest and traveled the farthest, and he did it a little differently, with a unique setup. Pence stood in with the bat slightly off his shoulder, then had a slight hand pump as he strided, helping to trigger his fast hands and powerful swing."

The Link

He also talks a little about how he prefers inside pitches.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2006, 12:22:02 am »
Quote:

The Link

He still has not shown up in a game ... I hope the wrist is not worse than they expected.  Also, I notice that Scott Robinson has mysteriously (though justifiably) disappeared from the box scores.

Any news on either situation?  I'm thinking they may give up on S-Rob.
Up in the Air

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2006, 11:50:32 am »
Quote:

Quote:

The Link

He still has not shown up in a game ... I hope the wrist is not worse than they expected.  Also, I notice that Scott Robinson has mysteriously (though justifiably) disappeared from the box scores.

Any news on either situation?  I'm thinking they may give up on S-Rob.

Unless the situation has changed in the last couple of days, I'd expect to see Sheldon on Wednesday. He said in an interview on Saturday he was supposed to sit out a week to rest the wrist.

I'm waiting to hear back about Robinson.

Edited to add:

You can check out the  transactions page for the unsurprising news about Mr. Robinson.