Author Topic: So that balk...  (Read 1730 times)

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
So that balk...
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:08:49 am »
How did it look on TV?  What were the announcers saying?  Consensus in our section was that it LOOKED like a balk, but they were going to let it go until Frank came out of the dugout.

What a strange play.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

pravata

Re: So that balk...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:12:40 am »
Quote:

How did it look on TV?  What were the announcers saying?  Consensus in our section was that it LOOKED like a balk, but they were going to let it go until Frank came out of the dugout.

What a strange play.

Complete balk, started up then walked off.  Brown and JD thought he was going to get away with it at first.  Roy went to the dugout and screamed into a towel.  Lost his concentration and lost the game.  He threw 87 pitches, one pop fly.  He would have breezed to a 1-0 complete game shutout.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:20:41 am »
The umps seemed not to notice, or even be interested in calling anything, during the 5 or so seconds before Frank came out of the dugout.  THEN all the umps convene and decide to call it.

Looked like the balk call itself was a balk.  Balk ^ 2.  Just glad it wasn't a walk-off (balk^2), I guess.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:20:40 am »
So what angle was Garner using to argue his case during his conversation with the ump?  He looked to call "Bull Sh!t" at one point, pointing at the first base umpire.
RO RASROS!

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 02:33:00 am »
Quote:

So what angle was Garner using to argue his case during his conversation with the ump?  He looked to call "Bull Sh!t" at one point, pointing at the first base umpire.

I'd guess he probably questioned why they needed Frank to make the call for them. If they truely saw the balk they should have called it right away.  Unless of course the umps didn't know the rule and were taught by Mr Robinson.  Which would be extremely concerning.  I believe any umpie could have called the balk, maybe I'm wrong there though.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:37:52 am »
I don't know shit about anything, but I'm pretty amazed that this obvious balk required an umpires' conference to get it right.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 09:27:26 am »
Quote:

I don't know shit about anything, but I'm pretty amazed that this obvious balk required an umpires' conference to get it right.

I like the conference, make sure you get it right. But it was an extremely obvious balk. Why was Frank Robinson's presence needed to initiate?  If Balking Bob Davidson was watching that game, he'd have been screaming at the TV.

Wild Dog

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 10:46:24 am »
Quote:

I think it was so obvious the umpires were totally caught off guard.  I don't think they could believe their eyes.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 11:50:20 am »
Quote:

I think it was so obvious the umpires were totally caught off guard.  I don't think they could believe their eyes.

I know I couldn't believe my eyes.  It was one of the oddest sights I've ever seen.  I kind of wonder if the memory of last year's bizarre pickoff at 3rd  wasn't bubbling up as he started his windup.

It was very disappointing, because it set the stage for him to be removed for a pinch hitter.  (And, by the way, it looked to me like Lamb got jobbed on the 3-1 curve ball.)  As somebody else pointed out, Oswalt was completely dominant, and I don't doubt that he would have got the 1-0 complete game if not for the balk.

This is probably selective memory, but doesn't it seem like there have been an inordinate number of lead-off doubles against the Astros in the last couple of weeks?  And, of course, last night's double landed on the damn line.  Two inches further left and there's no problem.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 12:14:52 pm »
Quote:

As somebody else pointed out, Oswalt was completely dominant, and I don't doubt that he would have got the 1-0 complete game if not for the balk.

...or if the offense had scored more than 1 run.  If it's 2+ to 1 after 7, Roy goes the distance.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
Not that it means much of anything but Footer, usually an Astros defender to a degree, was critical of the entire performance..  article
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

pravata

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 01:37:40 pm »
Quote:

Not that it means much of anything but Footer, usually an Astros defender to a degree, was critical of the entire performance..  article

She usually throws something up a couple minutes after the games.  Before she cleans them up they can be pithy.