Author Topic: Non BB: Texans sign Mario Williams...  (Read 7573 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Non BB: Texans sign Mario Williams...
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:26 pm »
There, it's a done deal, no more whining Bush or Young.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Non BB: Texans sign Mario Williams...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 10:48:58 pm »
Not necessarily an entirely done deal (for instance, the Chargers picked Eli Manning with the first pick).

Like the pick though.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 10:50:48 pm »
Quote:

Not necessarily an entirely done deal (for instance, the Chargers picked Eli Manning with the first pick).

Like the pick though.

What the fuck does Eli Manning have to do with anything?  The Texans have signed a deal with Williams.  Eli Manning is irrelevant.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:53:23 pm »
I quit caring about pro football when the Oilers left town. This does nothing to change that.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 10:54:54 pm »
They can still do a sign and trade with Mario Williams (the Jets, for one, are rumored to have him at the top of their draft board). Very similar to the deal between NYG and San Diego two years (although, they did not sign the players before signing).

I can't understand it for you.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:57:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Like the pick though.

What the fuck does Eli Manning have to do with anything?  The Texans have signed a deal with Williams.  Eli Manning is irrelevant.

Fox is reporting the deal is not signed yet.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:00:24 pm »
While were talking about football....

The New Era group embroiled in the controversy with Bush has said that a payment was made (28k) in 2004. If it comes out that USC knew about it, they could go from bragging about their three-peat to have a no-peat.
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 11:02:36 pm »
Quote:

They can still do a sign and trade with Mario Williams (the Jets, for one, are rumored to have him at the top of their draft board). Very similar to the deal between NYG and San Diego two years (although, they did not sign the players before signing).

I can't understand it for you.

Apparently you can't understand it for youself either.  They've signed Williams and will make him their first pick, which means they will NOT be drafting Bush or Young with the pick.  They don't get unlimited choices with that first pick, you know, they just get to select one guy.  I don't know why that's so fucking hard for you to grasp.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 11:03:52 pm »
But that doesn't mean Williams is who they will end up with. I'm assuming all the consternation about Vince and Bush was regarding their actually playing with the texans, but I guess it was possible that everyone in the city just had a fetish for seeing their name on the Texans draft card.
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 11:04:41 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Like the pick though.

Fox is reporting the deal is not signed yet.

The Texans are reporting that it is.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:51 pm »
Quote:

But that doesn't mean Williams is who they will end up with. I'm assuming all the consternation about Vince and Bush was regarding their actually playing with the texans, but I guess it was possible that everyone in the city just had a fetish for seeing their name on the Texans draft card.

Unlike you, who has a fetish for being a whiny little prick.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 11:08:49 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Unlike you, who has a fetish for being a whiny little prick.

Is "being a whiny little prick" an alternate spelling of "correcting your crap"?
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 11:12:47 pm »
Quote:

Is "being a whiny little prick" an alternate spelling of "correcting your crap"?

No it's the alternate spelling of "shut the fuck up you sorry cock sucking little douchebag or I'll shut if for you".

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:12:54 pm »

Quote:

Stupid. If that were the case they could have just traded the #1 pick now instead of locking themselves into Williams and trading him...

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 11:14:22 pm »
Not necessarily. For instance, it might give them more leverage with the Jets.
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 11:15:42 pm »
FWIW, I think they will end up with Williams, but there is certainly still talk going on about them getting someone else.
  -  Orson Welles

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 11:45:20 pm »
This is so fucking stupid, if they felt the need to build the team by building the line and they couldn't find any takers to trade out of the top spot and still get Mario Williams, they should've targeted D'Brickashaw Ferguson and traded down.

If they weren't gonna go with an marguee player like Young or Bush, they should've done whatever it took to trade down a few spots and get some more picks.

Nice job, Casserly.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 11:54:14 pm »
What a colossal fuck-up.
Lighten up, Francis.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 12:23:24 am »
Quote:

This is so fucking stupid, if they felt the need to build the team by building the line and they couldn't find any takers to trade out of the top spot and still get Mario Williams, they should've targeted D'Brickashaw Ferguson and traded down.

If they weren't gonna go with an marguee player like Young or Bush, they should've done whatever it took to trade down a few spots and get some more picks.

Nice job, Casserly.

What makes you think ANY trade offers they got were worth a damn?
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 12:26:11 am »
Quote:

Furthermore, Williams is certainly a marquee player.  I heard one NFL scout call him the best defensive player ever available in the draft.  He may or may not do anything, but I don't think anyone can say he's not a marquee player at this point.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 12:32:04 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Furthermore, Williams is certainly a marquee player.  I heard one NFL scout call him the best defensive player ever available in the draft.  He may or may not do anything, but I don't think anyone can say he's not a marquee player at this point.

And, there will be no holdout.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 12:40:49 am »
Whoa wait.

Someone's first name is "D'Brickashaw"? Woddafock? Mom must have been playing with refrigerator magnets before the epidural wore off.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 12:47:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Williams may be a marquee player, but so is Ferguson. Neither one, however, is a marketable player right now. If it's not Vince or Bush, trade down. If you can't trade down and still get Mario Williams, then trade down and take Ferguson. Taking Williams with the first overall pick makes little sense, not to mention the incredible pressure it puts on this kid to step in and make an immediate impact.

And if the Texans weren't getting any trade offers, why are the Saints suddenly fielding multiple offers?

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 12:52:46 am »
Quote:

And if the Texans weren't getting any trade offers, why are the Saints suddenly fielding multiple offers?

And why would anyone dislike Shiner?

And why didn't Bruntlet play instead of Burke tonight? Oswalt is good, mostly with a good defens behind him. Did the Astros need the offense of Burke, or the defense of CC?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 10:02:20 am »
Quote:

Word is, the Texans wanted Bush, but he wanted some ridiculous money, so they couldn't come to a deal.  They could with their second choice Williams.

jb1219

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 11:03:09 am »
i agree with this!

Quote:

Nice job, Casserly.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 11:06:52 am »
What if they felt the need to build the team through defense?

It's amazing how the best baseball forum quickly turns into the worst football forum. No one here would put up with this kind of inane shit about the astros for a second.
  -  Orson Welles

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 11:14:15 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Word is, the Texans wanted Bush, but he wanted some ridiculous money, so they couldn't come to a deal.  They could with their second choice Williams.

Casserly said last night in a televised interview on Fox that they had in fact reached an agreement with Bush, but in the end they simply decided that they wanted defense -- and Williams was their man.  He called it "an easy decision."
Lighten up, Francis.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 12:26:12 pm »
Quote:

Casserly said last night in a televised interview on Fox that they had in fact reached an agreement with Bush, but in the end they simply decided that they wanted defense -- and Williams was their man.  He called it "an easy decision."

Word also is...Casserly is gone after the draft.  And I agree with him...the Texans certainly need defense.  Their biggest single weakness on the team is a lack of a pass rush.  Still, they could have gotten more out of having the top pick here, IMO.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 12:31:06 pm »
I just hope the lame duck CC isn't much of an influence on the rest of the draft, let Kubiak pick the players he needs.

This mess with Bush and the rent house maybe turned off the Texans also, IMO. Aledged dishonesty from a 'franchise' type player... not a good way to start.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2006, 12:43:12 pm »
Quote:

I just hope the lame duck CC isn't much of an influence on the rest of the draft, let Kubiak pick the players he needs.

This brings up what may be the most important factor here.  Most people don't think Bush or Young would have made an immediate impact, that it would have taken some time to get them integrated into the system.  Williams would address the most glaring need, and they think he'll be able to make an impact immediately.  Kubiak has said he's not interested in "rebuilding", he wants to win right away.  Perhaps he thinks Bush would be "rebuilding", if they didn't address other needs.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 12:50:31 pm »
And the other needs you mentioned are glaring, eh?

Here's hoping for OT Eric Winston in the second round, pick #33.

Pass rush and blocker with the first two, couldn't hurt.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 01:00:28 pm »
Quote:

Williams would address the most glaring need

He plays defense AND offense?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I always thought offense, and OL in particular, was the most glaring need.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 01:25:50 pm »
I think they think they can address OL with coaching changes (remember, Mike Sherman is the OL coach now) and maybe later picks.
  -  Orson Welles

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 01:46:16 pm »
Quote:

What if they felt the need to build the team through defense?

I don't much care, but it seems ironic (or should I say fitting?) for a 2-11 team to trust its draft wisdom over conventional wisdom.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 01:50:12 pm »
Conventional wisdom is that DEs are much more valuable than RBs.
  -  Orson Welles

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 01:52:33 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Williams would address the most glaring need

He plays defense AND offense?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I always thought offense, and OL in particular, was the most glaring need.

Nope.  Defense, the inability to stop 32nd round rookies from Harvard, making their pro debut from throwing for 400 yards and 4 TDs in the second half, is the most glaring need.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 01:53:40 pm »
Quote:

Whoa wait.

Someone's first name is "D'Brickashaw"? Woddafock? Mom must have been playing with refrigerator magnets before the epidural wore off.

Actually, he's named after the priest torn between love and faith from the Thornbirds. Which is stanger than playing with refrigerator magnets.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 02:04:20 pm »
Quote:

Perhaps, but I'm guessing 90% of the other teams (I.E. all the ones with superior records) would not have made the choice the Texans made.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »
7 teams had Williams rated one apparently, including Denver and NYJ.
  -  Orson Welles

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2006, 02:19:19 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps, but I'm guessing 90% of the other teams (I.E. all the ones with superior records) would not have made the choice the Texans made.

Who cares what 90% of other teams might have done? The needs of each team are unique.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2006, 02:48:32 pm »
Quote:

Who cares what 90% of other teams might have done?

If the Texans weren't among the worst drafters in the NFL recently, that might be a compelling point.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 02:54:38 pm »
I don't think they've been bad drafters in the first round. They just showed the Browns haven't drafted a pro-bowler since 1991. The texans have drafted AJ and Dunta, and the jury is still out on Carr and Travis Johnson.
  -  Orson Welles

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
Re: Non BB: Texans sign Mario Williams... *DELETED*
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 03:00:59 pm »
Post deleted by Zan

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 03:06:03 pm »
I think they were a lot better in 2004 than 2005.  Or at least, not as bad.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2006, 03:09:40 pm »
Quote:

I don't watch or really like the NFL,

What a preface.
  -  Orson Welles

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 03:12:14 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I don't watch or really like the NFL,

What a preface.

Funny.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Billy Zabka

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 11:09:34 pm »
I think Eric Winston was a really good pick in the third round.  I heard some predictions that the Texans would draft him in the second round.  A pass blocking OT is exactly what they need most.

And, Darnell Bing and Ko Robinson are both available at the beginning of the fourth round tomorrow.  Safety is another need position.  Or they could go with Max-Jean Gilles who has to be th biggest human being in the world at Guard.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2006, 11:44:20 pm »
I'm still baffled why the Texans didn't take Burke.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 02:44:27 am »
Quote:

I'm still baffled why the Texans didn't take Burke.

I think they don't believe in his footwork, and David Carr trusts his stuff.

Billy Zabka

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2006, 03:33:06 am »
Quote:

I think they don't believe in his footwork, and David Carr trusts his stuff.

Hakeem picked up his footwork playing soccer - it's not the same in football.

Burke is a project - a late round guy.  After they pick one of the good safeties in the 4th round (or Max Jean-Gilles) they can look at Burke in the later rounds.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2006, 04:05:23 pm »
Quote:

Still, they could have gotten more out of having the top pick here, IMO.

If Mario turns into anything approximating a sane Reggie White that will be plenty enough to get out of the pick.

I think this is an awesome move, a strong, brave move that the old regime would never have made. It will make the team so much better for a very long time. This guy is 20 years old.

All in all I think this has been a near ideal draft.

Plus, all the monkeys at the Chronicle hate it so you immediately know it was a smart decision.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2006, 04:23:37 pm »
Initially I was incredulous but the more I think about it the more I think this was a good move.  Defense was a pressing concern and Williams seems eager to play.  And the Texans picked up some O-linemen in the 3rd round.  All in all not too shabby.
Strikeout Machine

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2006, 04:26:45 pm »
Quote:

Initially I was incredulous but the more I think about it the more I think this was a good move.  Defense was a pressing concern and Williams seems eager to play.  And the Texans picked up some O-linemen in the 3rd round.  All in all not too shabby.

Sam Bowie seemed pretty eager to play also.

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2006, 04:38:06 pm »
I'm eager to play as well.  Maybe I can sign on with the Texans as an undrafted free agent.  I always felt I could be a superstar athlete.  I might be able to cut it as a guard.
Strikeout Machine

Billy Zabka

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2006, 06:27:20 pm »
Quote:

I'm eager to play as well.  Maybe I can sign on with the Texans as an undrafted free agent.  I always felt I could be a superstar athlete.  I might be able to cut it as a guard.

Hey, I ran a 4.6 40 in high school.

That was 40 pounds, an ACL tear and a whole bunch of Miller Lite and Camel Lights ago, but I think I'll do about the same now.

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2006, 06:30:16 pm »
I don't know if I've ever run 40 consecutive yards.
Strikeout Machine

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2006, 06:34:26 pm »
I don't know if you added up all the yards I've ever run if it would add up to 40. Depending on your definition, I may have never "run".
  -  Orson Welles

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2006, 02:24:13 pm »
Here are the game by game numbers for the past 2 years for Mario.

Opponent--Sacks--Tackles for Losses

Richmond--0--0
Ohio State--0--0
Va Tech--0--1
Wake Forest--1--3
UNC--0--3
Maryland--1--2
Miami--1--0
Clemson--0--0
Ga Tech--0--1
FSU--0--5
E Carolina--3--1

Va Tech--0--0
E Kentucky--0--0.5
UNC--1--3
Ga Tech--0--0
Clemson--0--0.5
Wake Forest--3--3.5
S Miss--3.5--5.5
FSU--0.5--0.5
BC--0--0
Mid Tenn--1--3
Maryland--4--5

Let's separate the 22 games into 4 categories: versus the damn good teams (2 Va tech, 2 FSU, 1 Miami, 1 Ohio State), versus the good/average (2 ga Tech, 2 Clemson, BC), versus the poor (2 MD, 2 UNC, 1 S Miss), versus the putrid (E Kentucky, 2 Wake, 1 Mid Tenn, 1 Richmond, 1 E Carolina).

(Category--# of Games--Sacks--Tackles for Loss)

Damn Good--6--1.5--5.5
Good/Avg--5--0--1.5
Poor--5--9.5--18.5
Putrid--6--8--11

In 11 games versus Good Teams, Mario Williams totaled 1.5 sacks and 7 tackles for losses.

There's your #1 overall pick.  Potential over production.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

OldBlevins

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2006, 05:23:32 pm »
If you want to see something kind of funny, go to the Texans' web site and click on their live draft room cam.  It's still on.
blah, blah, blah . . .

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2006, 05:45:21 pm »
Quote:

There's your #1 overall pick.  Potential over production.

There are plenty of things about production (especially at the collegiate level) that can skew a specific player's numbers one way or another. You really need to look beyond the raw numbers to see the value of this player. (Sound familiar?)

This is a 20 year old with measureables you just don't find. Give him a couple of years of NFL coaching and who knows what sort of psychopath he'll be.

God bless Reggie, by the way. I hope he has a great career and I'm glad he'll be doing so in the NFC. But the Texans absolutely made the right football move here.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja