Author Topic: Not on in Austin?!?!?!  (Read 3763 times)

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Not on in Austin?!?!?!
« on: April 11, 2006, 03:33:19 pm »
It looks like the game is not on in Austin tonight on TWC?  Fucking Rangers are on channel 23.  FSN is showing Hockey and then regular programming.  Fuck TWC, who gives a shit about the Rangers. Any satellite TV customers in Austin?  Is the game on?  This may push me over the edge to move to satellite. I've kept TWC because they have been very good about showing the Astros games.  I think this is the 2nd game they've skipped already this year. Fuck!!!!!!
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
Re: Not on in Austin?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:49:11 pm »
It's been more than two, hasn't it?

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:20:52 pm »
Dish Network has the game starting at 8:30, carried on FSN alternate channel #3.  

When I lived in Dallas, I expected Astros games to be pre-empted by Ranger games, even when FSN Guide info indicated it was an Astros game.  I'm in Austin and I expected it to be the other way around but the Rangers get far more coverage on FSN, with Houston getting bumped to "alternate channels".  Drayton better realize that FSN is screwing him over for the Rangers!  Seriously, who likes the Rangers?
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 04:27:17 pm »

Quote:

Seriously, who likes the Rangers?

Up here in Ranger country, the order is:

1. Cowboys
2. Cowboys
3. Cowboys
4. Stars/Mavericks
5. Cowboys
6. The yearly visit from NASCAR
7. Rangers ... at least until Cowboys start mini camp.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 04:38:15 pm »
Quote:

Dish Network has the game starting at 8:30, carried on FSN alternate channel #3.  

When I lived in Dallas, I expected Astros games to be pre-empted by Ranger games, even when FSN Guide info indicated it was an Astros game.  I'm in Austin and I expected it to be the other way around but the Rangers get far more coverage on FSN, with Houston getting bumped to "alternate channels".  Drayton better realize that FSN is screwing him over for the Rangers!  Seriously, who likes the Rangers?

In years past, this has not been the case.  I don't know what is going on this year.  They must have a new program director at TWC Austin that is a Rangers fan. Fuck the Rangers.  When they win a pennant or when they put their AAA team in this town, fine, show the Rangers.  Guess it's the new guys on the radio tonight for me. Hell, the game probably won't even be carried on 1300 am tonight. I'll have to buy the mlb audio package again. Fuck!!!!

loganck

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:41:35 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

In years past, this has not been the case.  I don't know what is going on this year.  They must have a new program director at TWC Austin that is a Rangers fan. Fuck the Rangers.  When they win a pennant or when they put their AAA team in this town, fine, show the Rangers.  Guess it's the new guys on the radio tonight for me. Hell, the game probably won't even be carried on 1300 am tonight. I'll have to buy the mlb audio package again. Fuck!!!!

It will be on 1300, but not until the UT baseball game (6:15 start) is over.  We should get most of the Astros game.  Assuming it's not rained out.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 04:42:52 pm »
Just moved here in Oct/Nov so I wouldn't know any different.  I was just glad I found these alternate channels.  I had already put in one nasty phone call when FSN wasn't listed in their printed channel guide.

Thanks for the heads-up on TWC.  Doesn't Cox carry the same channel list as TWC?
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 05:05:46 pm »
Quote:

It looks like the game is not on in Austin tonight on TWC?  Fucking Rangers are on channel 23.  FSN is showing Hockey and then regular programming.  Fuck TWC, who gives a shit about the Rangers. Any satellite TV customers in Austin?  Is the game on?  This may push me over the edge to move to satellite. I've kept TWC because they have been very good about showing the Astros games.  I think this is the 2nd game they've skipped already this year. Fuck!!!!!!

Try channel 77.  Normally, any game not on 23 or 54 is televised on 77 (although that hasn't necessarily been the case thus far this season).  Unfortunately, you won't know until game time if they are showing it, since 77 isn't in any program guides.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:11:58 pm »
DirecTV has it on channel 639 Fox Sports Houston tonight.  Pregame starts at 7:30 MT.  Now, I'd be interested to know if I need MLBEI to see the stuff on Fox Sports channels.  I think I do otherwise the games themselves would be blacked out due to MLB's rules.  Can anyone corroborate this?

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 05:17:40 pm »
Quote:

DirecTV has it on channel 639 Fox Sports Houston tonight.  Pregame starts at 7:30 MT.  Now, I'd be interested to know if I need MLBEI to see the stuff on Fox Sports channels.  I think I do otherwise the games themselves would be blacked out due to MLB's rules.  Can anyone corroborate this?

In Colorado, you would need EI.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 05:21:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks... I have it and bought it just for that reason (though I had no concrete evidence that I'd need it).

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 05:26:12 pm »
Quote:

Not about Colorado, but to the original question - FSN Houston (DirecTV 639) isn't blacked out in Austin. So yes, either Dish Network or DirecTV gets you the game here tonight.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 05:28:19 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks... I have it and bought it just for that reason (though I had no concrete evidence that I'd need it).

All the games on KNWS and Fox Saturday afternoon stuff will still be unavailable on EI. MLB.tv is your option.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 05:38:51 pm »
This is not meant to be a political blast, but when Bush was the Guv, things were way worse.  No Astros radio and alot less TV. Who am I foolin', it was all his doing.
RO RASROS!

No? in Austin

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 05:44:17 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Try channel 77.  Normally, any game not on 23 or 54 is televised on 77 (although that hasn't necessarily been the case thus far this season).  Unfortunately, you won't know until game time if they are showing it, since 77 isn't in any program guides.

That is only if KNWS is carrying the game, and then it's channel 23 now instead of 77.  All three games in San Francisco are on FSSW, so it's not channel 23's fault that they are carrying the Rangers.  They do not have the option to carry any FSSW.  The problem isn't with TWC either, it is strickly a problem with FSSW and the feed they will give each region.  If we're screwed in Austin with tonight's game, it is because they think we would rather watch hockey in Central Texas... or in most cases... the Spurs.

It happens.  Damn you, FSSW!

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 05:49:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All the games on KNWS and Fox Saturday afternoon stuff will still be unavailable on EI. MLB.tv is your option.

Or watching the opposing team's feed.  There are a few days when I won't get the game (I think one so far this year) but I can live with that.

WrigleysADump

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 05:54:58 pm »
If you have Dish or DirecTv in Austin, do you lose the games that are on KNWS in Houston?  If so, can this be avoided by "moving" your dish to Houston to get the Houston locals?

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 05:56:32 pm »
Quote:

That is only if KNWS is carrying the game, and then it's channel 23 now instead of 77.  All three games in San Francisco are on FSSW, so it's not channel 23's fault that they are carrying the Rangers.  They do not have the option to carry any FSSW.  The problem isn't with TWC either, it is strickly a problem with FSSW and the feed they will give each region.  If we're screwed in Austin with tonight's game, it is because they think we would rather watch hockey in Central Texas... or in most cases... the Spurs.

It happens.  Damn you, FSSW!

I sent a very terse but polite comment to TWC and that is basically what they said.  They get what FSSW sends them.  What irks me is when they show the Spurs on ESPN and FSN at the same time and drop the Astros.  I don't really give a rats ass about the Spurs and I sure as hell don't need 2 channels dedicated to the same game. Now of course if they showed the Astros on 2 channels (which sometimes happens when we play the Scrubs) I don't mind one damn bit.  I'm looking into satellite right now.  But I'm out of luck for tonight.

Damn it Drayton, why didn't you follow through with a dedicated Astros channel?  I would've bought it.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 06:00:28 pm »
Quote:

If you have Dish or DirecTv in Austin, do you lose the games that are on KNWS in Houston?  If so, can this be avoided by "moving" your dish to Houston to get the Houston locals?

Look at this map: (DirecTV)

The Link

You have to live within the circle labeled 8 to recieve the Houston broadcast. If you live within that circle, then moving your address to Houston would work.

I don't know anything about Dish.

Edit to add: Looks like there is a Dish map on the same page:

The Link

Houston spot beam covers most of Central/East Texas, so you should be OK.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 07:45:49 pm »
I just sent some feedback to fox sports southwest and thought you guys might like to give 'em a piece of mind too. Anyways, here is  The Link.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 07:51:13 pm »
Quote:

Damn you, FSSW!

FSSW is indeed the primary culprit. However, TWC is not entirely blameless. In those situations where FSSW chooses to carry the Spurs or (like on Sunday) a UT baseball game (which of course is a helluva lot better than a Spurs game), TWC could in fact pick up the Astros feed and show it on Ch. 77. I've had various discussions the past several years about this with one of TWC's PR flacks, a guy by the name of Tom Greer.

In order to televise those games on Ch. 77, TWC has to negotiate the rights fee with the folks at Fox since they own all Astros TV rights. This arrangement is no different than when Rangers games are shown on Ch. 77. Greer implied to me that the asking price for Astros games has gone up and that's why there are no current plans to show Astros games on Ch. 77 when they're bumped off of FSSW by the Spurs or whatever.

Ch. 23 is an over the air channel (at one time is was out of Fredericksburg) that is broadcast into the SA market and is included in the TWC system in Austin. Decisions by that station to pick up the KNWS games (Fox owns the TV rights to those games as far as being shown in markets outside of Houston) are made by the management of that station and have nothing to do with TWC management.

Greer's phone number is 485-6206. If you're a TWC customer and wanna let 'em know how unhappy you are about not getting the game, then give him a call. Tom is actually a pretty nice guy so there's no need to be nasty about it. Besides he's merely a grunt who doesn't have anything to do with making the final decision.

BTW, if you have digital cable, the EPG (electronic program guide) does show the upcoming schedule for the week ahead. So you actually have some advance warning when FSSW is not going to show a game and you can make alternative arrangements (whatever the hell that would be). Ch. 77 does in fact show up on the EPG. At least in some cases, BB games that are going to be shown on that channel will show up on the week-ahead schedule. Of course, as of right now, those are only going to be Rangers games.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 08:32:44 pm »
Quote:

Ch. 77 does in fact show up on the EPG. At least in some cases, BB games that are going to be shown on that channel will show up on the week-ahead schedule.

I find that odd, since Time Warner's own online EPG for Austin doesn't even show that channel 77 exists.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 08:39:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Ch. 77 does in fact show up on the EPG. At least in some cases, BB games that are going to be shown on that channel will show up on the week-ahead schedule.

I find that odd, since Time Warner's own online EPG for Austin doesn't even show that channel 77 exists.

Oh, if I would have just read it right the first time I would have seen that the operative word in your post was "online". Don't know why that's the case, though I've always thought their website was pretty lousy.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

loganck

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 08:41:10 pm »
Not on in Austin!  and not on anywhere else.

Doubleheader on thursday.
Can't find a good link.  Next game on astros.com is wednesday.  Mlb.com has the game in the FINAL column, score= PPD.