Author Topic: It's Official. We Win Tonight.  (Read 5244 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
It's Official. We Win Tonight.
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:14:09 am »
0 for 38 on WS tix.  I spent 2 hours filling out those goddamn things.  0 for 38.

I can't afford the scalp prices.  So, while 43,000 people who don't know who Eric Bruntlett is, who don't know what a double switch is, who don't know who our bench coach is, who don't know why Bagwell isn't starting, who don't know how we made the playoffs or who we beat in the NLDS, who don't care if we win or lose, who don't feel WS tix for the Astros are a birthright, who don't even remember '98 let alone '86, who didn't decline invitations and reservations because it coincided with game time (for a game in JUNE or JULY), who stopped paying attention in mid-May, who may show up at the DOME for the game, who ask how many innings a playoff game is, who wonder when the Cubs changed their nickname, who do the fucking WAVE attend the World Series in Houston...we sit.  All of us.  Our asses orange with whoop.  At home.  At bars.  At work.  I'm only 29, but I've waited my entire life, intentionally never attending a WS until the Astros made it.  And I sit while some asshole bandwagon 16 year old with too much money and nothing better to do that night goes to Minute Maid.  They won't cheer.  They won't care.  They'll probably spend the game texting their friends who got a ticket, but are wandering the concourse trying to keep from falling asleep.  And I sit in El Paso trying to fight back heart attacks and aneurysms.  And you sit where ever you are.

And it isn't right.

The World Series isn't for the lucky and rich.  It's for us.  The fans.  And I shouldn't have the first Astros World Series narrated to me by TIM FUCKING MCCARVER.

Lug

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: It's Official. We Win Tonight.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:19:17 am »
I take it that you received your astros.com Dear John?

I have yet to receive anything.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:19:37 am »
Did you actually get a rejection email? No one I've talked to has heard anything back. Should we just take that as a rejection?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:22:38 am »
I've heard nothing except the few posts in a few places saying they won.  What's amazing is that almost none of them were on ASTROS FANS sites.

I also applied for the Cards WS tix and they sent out the Dear Alkie letter 3 days after the lotto.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:27:02 am »
It does not look good for the TZ'ers, but I suppose all hope is not lost until 10am.  It sounds like its already over, but I can't believe that NOBODY on this website has won so far.  Maybe it is still too early in the morning and they have not logged in yet.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:27:54 am »
It just seems impossible to me.  Figure we must have filled out 2,000 entries from here.  SOMEONE had to win SOMETHING.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 11:17:57 am »
Quote:

It does not look good for the TZ'ers, but I suppose all hope is not lost until 10am.  It sounds like its already over, but I can't believe that NOBODY on this website has won so far.  Maybe it is still too early in the morning and they have not logged in yet.

I cannot check my e-mail from work, so I have no idea if I've won.  Can't raise Mrs Limey on the phone.  This is a joke.  Why are the e-mails three fucking days late?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 11:19:48 am »
if you have waited your whole life, spend the money.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:20:55 am »
Jim, Jim, Jim.

Let me see if I can explain this another way.

Alkie has $2.  Apples are $501.  How many apples can Alkie buy without selling smack to high school kids?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 11:22:23 am »
We needed to win the lotto so we could buy 4 tickets, sell 2 to pay for it, and go.

Honestly, we pretty much cashed out our Holiday Money this year to go to the DS last week.

I don't have $2,000 to go or trust me, I would.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 11:23:30 am »
Sell your blood or semen or smack to the kids- It's the astros in the world series if it comes down to it.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 11:26:39 am »
If I knew where to get some smack wholesale or was able to produce 800 gallons of Nobel Prize winning semen in the next 3 days, don't you think I'd be ON the mufugger?

Must...find...someway.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 11:26:40 am »
Quote:

We needed to win the lotto so we could buy 4 tickets, sell 2 to pay for it, and go.

Honestly, we pretty much cashed out our Holiday Money this year to go to the DS last week.

I don't have $2,000 to go or trust me, I would.

I hear white male prostitutes can make good dinero in Juarez.  A shooting star Astro jersey with matching hot pants should work.
Purity of Essence

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 11:27:40 am »
If white male prostitutes made good money in J, I wouldn't waste my time giving investment advice to CPA firms.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 11:31:47 am »
Quote:

If white male prostitutes made good money in J, I wouldn't waste my time giving investment advice to CPA firms.

Well, CPA's have been known to favor a comely young investment advisor now and then.  I think they like comb overs.
Purity of Essence

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 11:33:30 am »
Quote:

I think they like comb overs.

Giving them or receiving them?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 11:35:15 am »
Upper deck seats start at $500 each on Stubhub and a little more on eBay.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 11:37:16 am »
I saw.

I'm sorry, I can't afford $3,000 before travel expenses.  Once I find the cure for ass cancer and build my time machine, I guess I'll attend the 2005 World Series, then stop 9/11 in that order.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 11:38:45 am »
Quote:

Did you actually get a rejection email? No one I've talked to has heard anything back. Should we just take that as a rejection?

I recieved a "Thank you for entering, but you weren't selected" email.

But don't worry, IF there are any unclaimed tix, I will be automatically entered into a "second chance" lotto.

Hooray for me!
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 11:41:10 am »
Alkie, because I enjoy your posts and this website so much, I will share with you (all) a possible way of getting enough cash to buy the World Series tickets...

White Sox will not have a lottery and tickets go on sale Tuesday at noon.  The Link

If you think its unethical to buy up their tickets... Fuck it man, it's the World Series. I happened to buy NLCS tickets from someone in California, if they are doing it- why not you?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 11:44:07 am »
While (and I mean this sincerely) I can't thank you enough for thinking of the children (mostly mine), I already looked in to it.  They go on sale at 1pm ET (where I currently am).

I will be sitting in an airport.  It is obvious I was not meant to go this year.

I will take it as a sign.

Also, I will never believe in anything again.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 11:48:17 am »

And the WhiteSox fans can eat my anus.  They don't deserve to go any more than the Suits going in Houston who have no idea who Erik Brundlit is.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 11:53:28 am »
So, I just called the missus to confirm that she had not received a congratulatory e-mail about tickets (she had not), and I was bemoaning the fact that so many lifelong fans are going to be unable to go, because I'm not hearing any good news yet from anyone on the lottery. We have this exchange:

Wife: Well, maybe they won't make it, and it'll be a moot point.

Me: (horrified silence)

Wife: I.... uh...

Me: (continued horrified silence, punctuated by gasps for air)

Wife: I'm so sorry. I just... I don't know what else to say.

Me: (staring at phone in disbelief, questioning foundation of reality)

Wife: I was trying to make you feel better. You don't hate me do you?

It went on like this for some time. We're going to chalk that one up to nerves, and just play through it.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 12:15:33 pm »
Maybe she's right!  We can all watch the Cards and ChiSox from the comfort of our own homes, without having spent a penny!

I'm going to go drown myself in the toilet!

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 12:15:50 pm »
There's a new guy in our building, who knows that I'm an Astros fan from the paraphernalia in my office.  This morning, he comes down the hall, offers me a handshake, and says "Hey, congratulations on your Astros!  It's great to see them get this far.  Is this the first World Series that they've been to?  Good to see new teams in the World Series."  When I said that I wasn't going to jinx anything, and that they still had to win one more, he just had a blank stare on his face.  Hey, thanks for the support.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 12:21:46 pm »
I learned something this week.

The Uzbekis are more familiar with baseball than Virginians.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 12:26:26 pm »
Well, I work in Maryland, and I'm one of the very few Virginians in the building.  But even if the Nats or O's had made the World Series over the weekend, the lead sports story today would still be "Redskins penalties and turnovers lead to Chiefs win."
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 12:30:49 pm »
I've never been anywhere in America where you couldn't get MLB Playoffs on ONE tv in a sports bar.

Until this weekend.

I'm still in total shock.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 12:34:39 pm »
Quote:

Well, I work in Maryland, and I'm one of the very few Virginians in the building.  But even if the Nats or O's had made the World Series over the weekend, the lead sports story today would still be "Redskins penalties and turnovers lead to Chiefs win."

Let me be the buhzillionth to ask:  Are you a 40-year old Virginian?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 12:38:54 pm »
26.  And actually, I've never heard that question before, but probably because all of my friends live in Virginia.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 12:44:40 pm »
There are two places. Champions Sports Bar at the Marriott Waterside in downtown Tampa refused to put the NLCS game 3 on a SINGLE TV out of about 50. "We have groups who have reserved these televisions way in advance. Sorry."

So you're not a "sports" bar per se? You're a "TV rental" bar? I see.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."