Author Topic: ALCS - time to reset the lineup, right?  (Read 4600 times)

AtascAstro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
ALCS - time to reset the lineup, right?
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:32:52 am »
Alvarez left 7 on base and looked bad doing it.  Carlos is seeing the ball as well as just about anybody else right now.  Springer, Altuve, Bregman and Correa puts the best 4 hitters right now together.  I do think that the left/right balance has prompted both Boone and Cash to use more pitchers early and that probably made a difference last night.  That said, Correa in Alvarez's spot might have changed everything dramatically.  If you move Correa, you create a very unbalanced lineup, especially considering Yuli's splits.

What does Hinch do tomorrow?

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: ALCS - time to reset the lineup, right?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 10:36:29 am »
As bad as Yordan looked in his last 3 ABs, Tucker looked even worse.  Yikes.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:44:35 am »
As bad as Yordan looked in his last 3 ABs, Tucker looked even worse.  Yikes.

Reddick hit Severino well this year, so seems like a no-brainer that he's your starting right fielder.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 01:02:33 pm »
Alvarez left 7 on base and looked bad doing it.  Carlos is seeing the ball as well as just about anybody else right now.  Springer, Altuve, Bregman and Correa puts the best 4 hitters right now together.  I do think that the left/right balance has prompted both Boone and Cash to use more pitchers early and that probably made a difference last night.  That said, Correa in Alvarez's spot might have changed everything dramatically.  If you move Correa, you create a very unbalanced lineup, especially considering Yuli's splits.

What does Hinch do tomorrow?

Fuck no. Leave the lineup alone.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:04:06 pm »

This. This right fucking here. I'm not about to tell a manager who has won one world series how to set a lineup.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:16:35 pm »
This. This right fucking here. I'm not about to tell a manager who has won one world series how to set a lineup.

I don't think Hinch needs to listen to anybody outside the organizations opinion on his lineup...certainly not mine.  The question was more  speculative about what do we think he will do and why/why not?

If he does change the lineup, does your certainty mean that you would disagree with his decision?

Carlos Correa was always supposed to be at the heart of this batting order.  He was only batting 7 because of injury and lack of rehab.  Does his return to form not at least justify the consideration?

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 01:27:20 pm »

Great - but why?  Do you say that because you believe you shouldn't ever change the lineup in a series?  Because it conveys a lack of confidence in the demoted?  Because you think that the left/right balance is more important?  Do you think that Carlos isn't ready to be moved up yet?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:20:43 pm »
Great - but why?  Do you say that because you believe you shouldn't ever change the lineup in a series?  Because it conveys a lack of confidence in the demoted?  Because you think that the left/right balance is more important?  Do you think that Carlos isn't ready to be moved up yet?

Have you considered the signal that demotion in the order sends to a young Yordan Alvarez?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
ALCS - time to reset the lineup, right?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:02:37 pm »
Have you considered the signal that demotion in the order sends to a young Yordan Alvarez?
I’m not advocating a change in the order. I too think it should be left alone, but I personally would not be worried about Alvarez’s feelings. If I thought there was a way to improve the offensive performance, I’m doing what is best for the team. If Yordon gets his feelings hurt, he’ll just have to get over it. Winning this series is more important. If this was the regular season, I would agree with you.

Having said that, I think it is best to leave the order alone. I don’t know who you put in the DH spot to improve the situation, so leave Yordan there. Alvarez needs to be sat down and shown on film what he was doing earlier in the year in his approach versus what he’s doing now. I suspect that has probably already been done, but correcting that it is easier said than done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:09:19 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 06:16:35 pm »

How much weight do you give that against an ALCS win?  Yordan doesn't strike me as the fragile, entitled type.  To be offended, he would have believe himself better, more capable and more deserving than Correa.  Honestly, I think it might take some pressure off of him and help him get going again.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 07:40:23 pm »
I'm not advocating a change but there is no place for that kind of sentimentality in the post season. Just trust AJ to do his job.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 08:02:01 pm »
In AJ I trust.

If he keeps the lineup the same,  fine.

If he moves Correa up,  fine.

I know he'd take care of Yordan's psyche if he needed to.

As bad as he's looked at times  we should recall he had some productive ABs with hard hit balls in the LDS.

And we should be glad Correa has made this a forum talking point.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 01:15:15 am »
I’m not advocating a change in the order. I too think it should be left alone, but I personally would not be worried about Alvarez’s feelings. If I thought there was a way to improve the offensive performance, I’m doing what is best for the team. If Yordon gets his feelings hurt, he’ll just have to get over it. Winning this series is more important. If this was the regular season, I would agree with you.

Having said that, I think it is best to leave the order alone. I don’t know who you put in the DH spot to improve the situation, so leave Yordan there. Alvarez needs to be sat down and shown on film what he was doing earlier in the year in his approach versus what he’s doing now. I suspect that has probably already been done, but correcting that it is easier said than done.

Wtf. We’re talking about a handful of AB’s. Yordan will have his time. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 08:21:27 am »
This thread makes as much sense as the calls to move Springer down in the order in 2017. Correa has had one good game. Tap the breaks on moving him up. Whatever Hinch decides I am fine with, but I think he likes the balance of this batting order.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 08:36:38 am »
This thread makes as much sense as the calls to move Springer down in the order in 2017. Correa has had one good game. Tap the breaks on moving him up. Whatever Hinch decides I am fine with, but I think he likes the balance of this batting order.

The balance forces Boone's hand to move through the bullpen. Worked out nicely in Game 2.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 10:09:52 am »
The balance forces Boone's hand to move through the bullpen. Worked out nicely in Game 2.

This is not to be understated.  Hinch did it to Cash in Game 5 (although the Astros already had the lead) and to Boone in Game 2.  Sunday night was a good example of why it's so hard to win in extra innings on the road, and even more so in the Postseason when you're blowing through your pen.  In a tie game on the road, each inning you don't score after the 8th means you have to get at least two more innings from someone, while the home team may not have to get any more outs.  Didn't score in the 9th?  Sure you can use Chapman in the bottom half, but you still have to go at least one more.  Didn't score in the 10th?  Shit...now you're left with having to get multiple innings out of JA Happ. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 11:06:33 am »
Reddick is in today's lineup, assuming the game is played.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:57 am »
Reddick is in today's lineup, assuming the game is played.

It seems that today's game isn't likely to be rained out. Tomorrow's game is toast.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:28 am »
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 12:07:06 pm »
It seems that today's game isn't likely to be rained out. Tomorrow's game is toast.

The weather app I'm looking at shows clear today, rain tomorrow.  Cole today, then if no game tomorrow Greinke, Verlander? Is that full rest?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 12:08:19 pm »
Some slight changes today.  Altuve 2nd, Brantley 3rd.  Gurriel 5th, Yordan 6th.   Correa 7th, Reddick 8th.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 12:11:26 pm »
Also on Stanton

Lindsey Adler
@lindseyadler

Giancarlo Stanton just said he feels "pretty similar" to 48 hours ago. Overall says his quad is "not the best," but he feels able to hit. Outfield is the hurdle.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
Hinch clearly values the lineup construction that encourages Boone to give in to his nature of over-managing the pitching matchups.  The longer the series goes, the smarter that will look, I think.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 12:19:41 pm »
As much as I wanted Correa up top, I couldn't see how to do it without destroying the balance.  I like the subtle changes, excited to see how it plays out.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 12:27:22 pm »
McTaggart on Hinch's thought process...

Hinch said he wanted Gurriel behind Bregman because Yuli has swung the bat so well. Once he did, he had three RH in middle of order, which isn't ideal. So that made him move Altuve ahead of Brantley.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 12:57:36 pm »
As much as I wanted Correa up top, I couldn't see how to do it without destroying the balance.  I like the subtle changes, excited to see how it plays out.

Why? He has had ONE good game.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 02:50:00 pm »
Why? He has had ONE good game.

A couple of reasons...

Correa's LDS bad at-bats have a simple explanation, he was rehabbing.  His trend-line is going in the right direction.

Correa is a veteran player with a history of post-season success.  When he isn't injured, he has a history of elite batting.

Yordan hasn't looked the same since mid-September.  He's a rookie.  GZ commentary seems to match my observations that his at-bats have not been good.

In the microscope that is a post season series, I'd rather bet on Correa's trend than Yordan's.  We don't have another week to see how it works out.  Hinch had enough concern about Yordan to move Yuli ahead of him.

None of this is intended as criticism of Hinch...just looking to spark discussion about different lineup possibilities.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 05:14:28 pm »
A couple of reasons...

Correa's LDS bad at-bats have a simple explanation, he was rehabbing.  His trend-line is going in the right direction.

Correa is a veteran player with a history of post-season success.  When he isn't injured, he has a history of elite batting.

Yordan hasn't looked the same since mid-September.  He's a rookie.  GZ commentary seems to match my observations that his at-bats have not been good.

In the microscope that is a post season series, I'd rather bet on Correa's trend than Yordan's.  We don't have another week to see how it works out.  Hinch had enough concern about Yordan to move Yuli ahead of him.

None of this is intended as criticism of Hinch...just looking to spark discussion about different lineup possibilities.

Fucking crazy.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 08:19:42 pm »
Also on Stanton

Lindsey Adler
@lindseyadler

Giancarlo Stanton just said he feels "pretty similar" to 48 hours ago. Overall says his quad is "not the best," but he feels able to hit. Outfield is the hurdle.

On the broadcast this evening, they said Boone said Stanton would be on the IL if it was the regular season.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 08:20:23 pm »
Fucking crazy.
They are both still scuffling.  I hope they both pull out but if I had to bet on one doing so this season it would be Correa.

Fortunately, Hinch was smarter than both of us and moved Yuli into the right place to drive in a run.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 08:12:40 am »
They are both still scuffling.  I hope they both pull out but if I had to bet on one doing so this season it would be Correa.

Fortunately, Hinch was smarter than both of us and moved Yuli into the right place to drive in a run.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Which move I totally agreed with. Not moving Correa up.