Author Topic: Straw  (Read 7356 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Straw
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:34:50 pm »
He is a valuable player and will be the toughest roster decision when guys start coming back.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Straw
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 07:59:05 pm »
Can he supplant Kemp?
E come vivo? Vivo.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Straw
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:59:56 pm »
I for one would like for him to stay but that may mean saying goodbye to Kemp who I also like. Assuming you eventually have Alvarez taking the place of White then Straw taking Kemps place could be another swap, while keeping the same number of lefties and righties

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:02:23 pm »
I for one would like for him to stay but that may mean saying goodbye to Kemp who I also like. Assuming you eventually have Alvarez taking the place of White then Straw taking Kemps place could be another swap, while keeping the same number of lefties and righties

They will not let go of Kemp for nothing in return.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 08:15:11 pm »

I think there was a clear message sent this series, and that is "Tyler White, you have no future on this roster."
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 08:15:58 pm »
He is a valuable player and will be the toughest roster decision when guys start coming back.

He came up big today. He was in the middle of something every time I looked up.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 08:18:42 pm »
They will not let go of Kemp for nothing in return.
I agree but I think it's Kemp or Straw, not both once all the guys come back. For the regular season it's probably Kemp but IF they make the postseason, I think it'll be Straw.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 08:20:30 pm »
I think there was a clear message sent this series, and that is "Tyler White, you have no future on this roster."
I think that within the next 2 weeks, Yordan Alvarez will be the primary DH and White will be in Miami or Baltimore or somewhere like that.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:21:14 pm »
I think that within the next 2 weeks, Yordan Alvarez will be the primary DH and White will be in Miami or Baltimore or somewhere like that.

You obviously feel very strongly about that.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 08:29:24 pm »

Is a Golden Corral considered to be like Baltimore or Miami? If so, you might be on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 08:33:29 pm »

Yes. And I wish him well. White is a great story who has consistently exceeded expectations, and I would love to see him benefit from the much-needed change of scenery.
Up in the Air

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 08:36:28 pm »
Yes. And I wish him well. White is a great story who has consistently exceeded expectations, and I would love to see him benefit from the much-needed change of scenery.
If he dropped about 20-30 lbs, I think he could get back to what he was last year but how did he gain so much in 1 offseason? Did he just think he's made it and now he's untouchable?

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 08:38:38 pm »
He needs one of his random hot streaks or he’s toast. I’ve lost my optimism that he might hit one of those again with the club.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 11:01:04 pm »

Ran across this video about Straw's theft of a Tebow extra base hit during ST. 
https://www.mlb.com/video/straw-hinch-on-robbing-tebow-c2523026883

Hinch's observation: "No sure Tebow knew who Straw was before that play, but he probably remembers him now...."
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 11:26:49 pm »
There is no argument for keeping White.
E come vivo? Vivo.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 11:28:33 pm »
DFA White.  No one is going to claim him. 
Boom!

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 12:58:06 am »
Today was the Miles Straw show and it’s easy to let that influence your opinion in a Kemp/Straw debate. IMO, there’s no question. Kemp has helped this team on numerous occasions and will again. Straw has been electric but has options and Kemp has none. Kemp has a future on this team and we’ll all be glad when we see it.

White? Adios. If he doesn’t clear waivers I truly wish him the best.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:09 am »
I agree but I think it's Kemp or Straw, not both once all the guys come back. For the regular season it's probably Kemp but IF they make the postseason, I think it'll be Straw.

For the postseason, unless one is dealt, it will definitely be BOTH of them.  Your not about to drop Kemp or Straw to carry a 13th, or probably even a 12th arm.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 08:55:18 am »
Today was the Miles Straw show and it’s easy to let that influence your opinion in a Kemp/Straw debate. IMO, there’s no question. Kemp has helped this team on numerous occasions and will again. Straw has been electric but has options and Kemp has none. Kemp has a future on this team and we’ll all be glad when we see it.

White? Adios. If he doesn’t clear waivers I truly wish him the best.

Options may determine the initial decision, but roster construction fascinates me, and I am wondering what it ultimately may be. Marisnick’s new-found offensive progress complicates things for sure. Straw has too much value to be traded, I think, and I have liked Kemp all along. I really hope Alvarez hits when he comes up so DH will be solved. Then there is Tucker who is hitting again. The team needs a frontline pitcher, and someone has to go in that trade.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:19:59 am by JimR »

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:18 am »
one with the success of the guys from the express how do you keep em down on the  farm
and on lots of other teams these guys would be in the starting lineup every day
forever is composed entirely of nows

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:59 am »
Options may determine the initial decision, but roster construction fascinated me, and I am wondering what it ultimately may be. Marisnick’s new-found offensive progress complicates things for sure. Straw has too much value to be traded, I think, and I have liked Kemp all along. I really hope Alvarez hits when he comes up so DH will be solved. Then there is Tucker who is hitting again. The team needs a frontline pitcher, and someone has to go in that trade.

Agreed!  I definitely think we are going to miss someone due to a trade.  Right now we are forming a lot of attachments, but these players are auditioning on a big stage right now.  In Luhnow I trust.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Noe

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 12:36:06 pm »
Before this season started, I would have bet good money, cash American, that Jake Marisnick was not long to be an Astro. In fact, it would not have shocked me if he was put in a package deal with others (maybe as a thrown in) to obtain a pitcher or another player on offense (a DH type maybe). I like Jake, but his ability on defense wasn't enough for me to think he would be long as player on this team. Not with the addition of Bradley. I know Kemp is not as good as Marisnick on defense but I thought that Kemp did his best last season late to prove he had more value than Jake. That and the fact that Jake's propensity to play balls to the wall defense led to many injuries that kept him from playing longer stretches of games for the team. Then last year I saw Straw play and was pretty much convinced that this was the kid who would displace Jake once and for all.

I still think that way but Jake has made it harder to easily pull that trigger because he is providing value beyond defense and speed on the basepaths. He still plays a reckless CF, but that's just Jake being Jake. I doubt either Jake or Kemp have trade value just by themselves and it would be hard to envision the Astros pulling a package deal with one or both involved, but if they feel they can bring back a championship-level part for the team, I don't see why not. But don't trade Straw, that would be a mistake at this point. IMHO of course.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:37:56 pm by Noe in Austin »

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 02:17:01 pm »
There is no argument for keeping White.

I month or so ago I was swapping posts with JimR stating my opinion that the Astros should stick with White till the first month of June or so with the hope that he could turn it around and provide some trade value.  At this point I have to agree that that ship has sailed.  Time to move on and see what you have in Alvarez ahead of the trade deadline as Jim recommended. 

Sad thing was that I actually thought he would turn it around.  Boy was I wrong.  Too bad.  Hopefully he'll get another shot with someone.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 02:17:53 pm »
Oh, and how about Fisher?  No one is talking about him but he has performed well for the big club.  Happy for him.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 02:32:41 pm »
I doubt either Jake or Kemp have trade value just by themselves and it would be hard to envision the Astros pulling a package deal with one or both involved, but if they feel they can bring back a championship-level part for the team, I don't see why not. But don't trade Straw, that would be a mistake at this point. IMHO of course.

How many years of club control does Jake have left? I'm guessing 1 or none? I'm not sure if a rebuilding club would be interested in trading for him.
Grab another Coke and let's die

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 02:50:06 pm »
How many years of club control does Jake have left? I'm guessing 1 or none? I'm not sure if a rebuilding club would be interested in trading for him.
Free agent after the 21 season

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »

Marisnick has peak trade value now, if a #3 starter is a priority and the prospects are not breaking out enough to clarify the issue

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 03:08:59 pm »
Oh, and how about Fisher?  No one is talking about him but he has performed well for the big club.  Happy for him.
Yes, Fisher deserves a good pat on the back. He’s done a very good job so far. Sometimes it takes a couple trips up and down for it to click, and so far, it looks like it has finally started to click for him. The one thing I’ve really liked is his willingness to go opposite field. To me, that is one of the signs of a good hitter. I don’t remember him doing that on his two other trips up here.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 03:18:09 pm »
Yes, Fisher deserves a good pat on the back. He’s done a very good job so far. Sometimes it takes a couple trips up and down for it to click, and so far, it looks like it has finally started to click for him. The one thing I’ve really liked is his willingness to go opposite field. To me, that is one of the signs of a good hitter. I don’t remember him doing that on his two other trips up here.

That's because he was busy swinging and missing at everything.

Fisher deserves a pat on the back and nothing else.   He needs to show consistency at this level before anyone thinks he's arrived.

Hopefully he piques the interest of a club looking to move a starting pitcher. 

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 03:35:25 pm »
All Fisher had to do yesterday is move Straw to third. He looked at strike three and strike four. That's who he is.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Noe

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 03:35:41 pm »
That's because he was busy swinging and missing at everything.

Fisher deserves a pat on the back and nothing else.   He needs to show consistency at this level before anyone thinks he's arrived.

Hopefully he piques the interest of a club looking to move a starting pitcher.

I heard Blummer say that organizational men (re: those player development men that Luhnow employ) told him out of all the Astros players (majors and minors) it was Fisher who was currently producing the highest exit velocity on his bat to ball swings (put in play). That surprised me but what I saw in his homerun to centerfield was a very compact, barrel to ball, hands behind the swing, let it travel, head on ball approach I've not seen from Fisher before. He crushed that pitch to centefield with said approach instead of a hard, back wrenching swing like say the kind you see from Correa or Springer sometimes. Instead it was controlled and one that he just trusts his hands to do the work to carry the bat through the ball.

It's working for him and that may prove well for his career from now on... whether on the Astros or another team.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 03:47:40 pm »
It was one impressive home run

Noe

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 03:48:39 pm »
All Fisher had to do yesterday is move Straw to third. He looked at strike three and strike four. That's who he is.

That was an interesting scenario to me. I totally agree, his job should be to move him over, not look at pitches... which for some unexplained reasons he did. I know the Astros preach that you should spit on close pitches because strikeouts are bad so it's better to take a walk... but you have to think about what the situation is to know what the other side is going to try to do.

First things first, Straw stole second as we all knew he would, just like the A's did. So be it. In that case, Fish giving Straw the chance to run is okay, so look at some pitches. But that also means that Trivino is going to give his catcher better pitches to throw from, that means high and outside... preferably fastballs. So Fish is in take mode to begin with but Straw is superhuman fast that no amount of scheming will help the A's. So the next plan is to push him over. So Fish has to know he is going to get more pitches outside than on the inner half. That's okay because you can yank an outside pitch is you're quicker to the ball so you have to look to pull. Instead, inexplicably, he decided to take two very good outside pitches for strikes and his AB was done. The A's walked Bregman to setup the double play so the strategy is sound. Get Brantley to roll over a pitch and hit in on the ground. The pitch caught too much of the inner half of the plate and while he hit it on the ground, it was smoked into right. I don't know what Fish thought he'd gain by walking in that instance because I guess maybe he thought the A's would have to come after Bregman instead. That is the only explanation I could think of when I saw Fish start to spit at pitches he should have looked to pull to the right side to get Straw over. Bad idea it turned out.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 04:04:51 pm »
Free agent after the 21 season

Pretty sure it is FA after '2020 for Jake.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 04:42:06 pm »
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
Straw
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
There is no doubt that the at bat you reference was a big one, mainly because it was in extra innings. Yes, it would have been wonderful had he got a hit or put the ball in play to move the runner. But he wasn’t the only one yesterday who didn’t come through in that type of situation as Brantley and Reddick each left runners in scoring position. While it is fair to criticize him for not moving the runner, he should also be given credit for his at bat in the seventh, against a left handed pitcher, where he hit a line drive opposite filed to score Straw.

I’m not saying Fisher doesn’t have a ways to go. He does. All I’m saying is that, while the sample size is small, I’ve noticed a change in him for the better. His strike out rate, while still way too high, is down 10% from his last trips up here. His batting average is also way up from his prior trips up. Again, the sample size is small and we need to see more, but he looks more comfortable and confident at the plate...to me....and that is a good thing for us. Whether he stays here or we trade him.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2019, 05:15:16 pm »
Pretty sure it is FA after '2020 for Jake.
You're right. I misremembered what I read on baseball reference

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2019, 07:59:16 pm »
Fisher has been great since he came up.  So has Straw.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2019, 10:07:50 pm »
Fisher has been great since he came up.  So has Straw.

Fisher has been much better but far from “great.”

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2019, 11:52:30 pm »

Yup.

Kemp isn’t going anywhere folks. So everything else will react from that.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 12:16:00 am »

Pardon my hyperbole

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 07:44:42 am »
Pardon my hyperbole

No worries. Hyperbole is no stranger to OWA.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 07:50:35 am »
No worries. Hyperbole is no stranger to OWA.

Indeed, hyperbole is a close cousin to just about everyone here.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 08:01:58 am »

We have, believe me, the best hyperbole you’ve ever seen. Lots of people are saying nobody knows as much about hyperbole as we do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 09:50:42 am »
We have, believe me, the best hyperbole you’ve ever seen. Lots of people are saying nobody knows as much about hyperbole as we do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 10:48:41 am »
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 01:54:04 pm »

What a fantastic comment.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 02:10:21 pm »

I took a DNA test and found out that I'm not related to Hyperbole at all.

Now I'm at a loss for words.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »
No one avoids hyperbole more than me.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Noe

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2019, 06:36:30 pm »
No one avoids hyperbole more than me.

I've repeated that at least a million times.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2019, 10:55:55 am »

Overreaction is also a beloved family member.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2019, 12:30:21 pm »
If there was a Super Bowl of hyperbole it would be, beyond even the slightest shred of a doubt, the greatest hyperbole competition in the history of hyperbole or competition.

It would be here and it would be called the " Hyper Bole".
He breezed him, one more time!

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Straw
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2019, 01:34:28 pm »
Overreaction begets hyperbole.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:51 pm »
Straw is starting at shortstop tonight.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:29 pm »
Straw is starting at shortstop tonight.
And still looks like a great outfielder. Some good plays, but too exciting on routine throws to 1B.
Up in the Air

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2019, 12:02:58 am »
Overreaction begets hyperbole.

The hell you say.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2019, 06:45:16 am »
And still looks like a great outfielder. Some good plays, but too exciting on routine throws to 1B.

Nervous as hell no doubt.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2019, 08:30:17 am »

One of the beat reporters tweeted yesterday that Hinch thought Straw was more nervous yesterday than he was for his MLB debut.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2019, 08:36:40 am »
But the nerves did not affect him in the OF. Willie Mays played some SS too, but we all know how that ended. Myles is an adequate emergency option, but I am hoping that most of his PT is in the OF.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2019, 08:38:02 am »
One of the beat reporters tweeted yesterday that Hinch thought Straw was more nervous yesterday than he was for his MLB debut.
This. I think he knows that his spot is in the OF.
Up in the Air