Author Topic: 1st Place, Fish-slingers, and the schedule so far...  (Read 4697 times)

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
1st Place, Fish-slingers, and the schedule so far...
« on: April 25, 2019, 06:06:12 pm »
I've wondered a little about the Fish-slingers and if they have the team to continue to compete for the ALW even though this year was thought to be a rebuild.

Last night after the games I took a look at the extended standings at MLB.com and noticed that the Astros have played every single game against winning teams. In contrast, Seattle has played only ten games against teams over .500 and are a measly 2-8 in those games. The Angels have the same schedule anomaly as Houston, but are 9-16 while the Astros are 15-9.

I like the Astros' chances.

He breezed him, one more time!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Place, Fish-slingers, and the schedule so far...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 06:37:42 pm »
I've wondered a little about the Fish-slingers and if they have the team to continue to compete for the ALW even though this year was thought to be a rebuild.

Last night after the games I took a look at the extended standings at MLB.com and noticed that the Astros have played every single game against winning teams. In contrast, Seattle has played only ten games against teams over .500 and are a measly 2-8 in those games. The Angels have the same schedule anomaly as Houston, but are 9-16 while the Astros are 15-9.

I like the Astros' chances.

good info. Thanks.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:23:02 pm »
The only 4 games that Tampa has played vs teams over .500 were the 4 against the Stros.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:38:39 pm »
The only 4 games that Tampa has played vs teams over .500 were the 4 against the Stros.

And only two of those were against a team above .500.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 10:00:06 pm »
And only two of those were against a team above .500.

Only one.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:41 pm »
Only one.

I guess I was counting game three when the Astros were exactly .500.  But technically, yeah...one game against a team with more wins than losses.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 07:12:39 am »
I'm surprised about Tampa's standings too, but I'm thinking fish slingers is in reference to Seattle.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 02:21:31 pm »
I'm surprised about Tampa's standings too, but I'm thinking fish slingers is in reference to Seattle.
Of course. This is but one more chapter in the historic rivalry.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:18:10 am »
The lopsidedness of the Astros' schedule against winning teams has been curiously persistent. I took a look this evening and was surprised to find that even at this rather late stage in the season Houston has played 73 of their 107 games, or about 68%, against winning teams. They are 45-28 (.616) in those games.

By contrast, the Yankees and Twins have both played 53 of their 105 games, or just over 50%, against winning teams. The Yankees are 33-20 (.623) in those games while the Twins are 29-24 (.547).

The schedules are not balanced, so teams won't necessarily end with 50% vs winning teams, but I expect it to even up quite a bit before the end of September.  This should play out to the Astros' benefit.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 08:29:46 am »
The lopsidedness of the Astros' schedule against winning teams has been curiously persistent. I took a look this evening and was surprised to find that even at this rather late stage in the season Houston has played 73 of their 107 games, or about 68%, against winning teams. They are 45-28 (.616) in those games.

By contrast, the Yankees and Twins have both played 53 of their 105 games, or just over 50%, against winning teams. The Yankees are 33-20 (.623) in those games while the Twins are 29-24 (.547).

The schedules are not balanced, so teams won't necessarily end with 50% vs winning teams, but I expect it to even up quite a bit before the end of September.  This should play out to the Astros' benefit.

and they are getting hot winning teams lately.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:55:42 am »
And beating them.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 11:26:12 am »
During the games against, former Ranger - now announcer David Murphy, observed that whether or not the opposing team is on a hot or cold streak may be more important than their W-L record. 
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 12:34:42 pm »
During the games against, former Ranger - now announcer David Murphy, observed that whether or not the opposing team is on a hot or cold streak may be more important than their W-L record.

How astute of him. Who knew?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »
How astute of him. Who knew?

Doesn't take much to impress me.....
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.