Author Topic: Astros & domestic violence  (Read 2699 times)

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Astros & domestic violence
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:46:01 am »
Got an email this weekend from the Astros about this event:
https://www.mlb.com/astros/community/foundation/events?partnerId=ed-13663792-1137558143

The Astros Foundation is hosting the inaugural Safe at Home Luncheon and Style Show on Thursday, May 9. The event will include lunch inside historic Union Station and a style show by Tootsies featuring Astros wives. Proceeds will benefit the Astros Foundation and its domestic violence awareness efforts. Sponsorships and tables for the luncheon are available. Please email [email protected] for more information or to purchase a table.

After the Osuna controversy last year, glad to see the Astros following through on their commitment to raise awareness/support concerning domestic violence.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Astros & domestic violence
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:14:10 am »
Got an email this weekend from the Astros about this event:
https://www.mlb.com/astros/community/foundation/events?partnerId=ed-13663792-1137558143

After the Osuna controversy last year, glad to see the Astros following through on their commitment to raise awareness/support concerning domestic violence.

+1
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Astros & domestic violence
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »
The Chronicle followed up on this, with a pretty deep dive into what the Astros are doing in this area:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Roberto-Osuna-remains-polarizing-figure-for-Astros-13817811.php
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
The Chronicle followed up on this, with a pretty deep dive into what the Astros are doing in this area:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Roberto-Osuna-remains-polarizing-figure-for-Astros-13817811.php

The title of the HC article (3 May) is a hook that stirs emotions, sells papers, and gets web page hits/comments. 
But it is the comments that I found most thoughtful, helpful, and redemptive:

Thomas1 (3 May) - "It is the function of the criminal justice system to punish those who violate the law.  The Houston Astros and Major League Baseball are not adjuncts of this system.....  But now, to say or imply that Osuna should be further punished, prohibited from earning a living,  or holding a job is beyond the pale."

Paste and Plato (3 May) - "It is tragic what Berg had to endure.  Do not see any obvious link to Osuna's family situation or the Astros' decision to sign him."

LML (4 May) - "I’m a woman, and I absolutely abhor men beating up on women. However, I see no benefit to ruining a 24 year old’s career over one episode. He was punished and that’s all there is to it. If he continues in this type of conduct, then yes he should be let go. I’m not willing to hold a mistake against a 24 year old for the rest of his life. Hopefully, he has learned from this and will act accordingly in the future."

Middleman (5 May) - "Do we ever forgive people for making mistakes?  Or do we brand them for life?"

I think about physical abuse when I see Osuna and I also see hope in his redemption (so far) and pull for him. 

Has the culture of the Astros clubhouse been damaged by his presence? 
Should he be banned for life for what he did, or given another chance? 
Who among us had not needed a 2nd chance at some point(s) in our lives?

Just a thot.  What's your's?

PS: I believe the highlighted sentiments apply to another similar but, in other important ways, very different case.

Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
The title of the HC article (3 May) is a hook that stirs emotions, sells papers, and gets web page hits/comments. 
But it is the comments that I found most thoughtful, helpful, and redemptive:

I think about physical abuse when I see Osuna and I also see hope in his redemption (so far) and pull for him. 

Has the culture of the Astros clubhouse been damaged by his presence? 
Should he be banned for life for what he did, or given another chance? 
Who among us had not needed a 2nd chance at some point(s) in our lives?

Just a thot.  What's your's?

PS: I believe the highlighted sentiments apply to another similar but, in other important ways, very different case.

My thought is WTF did you post this a year down the road? The Astros clubhouse has accepted him. The mother of his child wants him in the kid’s life. The case was dismissed. Enough!
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
My thought is WTF did you post this a year down the road? The Astros clubhouse has accepted him. The mother of his child wants him in the kid’s life. The case was dismissed. Enough!

Blame it on the HC that won't let the topic die, as long as it will attract attention.
Besides, there's a PS in the post that ties to this topic which might be considered in a different light with a year behind the signing..
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Blame it on the HC that won't let the topic die, as long as it will attract attention.
Besides, there's a PS in the post that ties to this topic which might be considered in a different light with a year behind the signing..
Unfortunately, i can put the HC on ignore, but it does little good if you break a year-long silence here to drudge it up again.
Up in the Air

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, i can put the HC on ignore, but it does little good if you break a year-long silence here to drudge it up again.

To be fair, the article Snuffy is responding to is only a month and a half old.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
To be fair, the article Snuffy is responding to is only a month and a half old.
Why would we start being fair now?
Up in the Air

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Why would we start being fair now?

Yeah, fuck that.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius