Author Topic: Tucker article in Chronicle  (Read 4081 times)

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Tucker article in Chronicle
« on: December 11, 2018, 08:28:53 am »

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: Tucker article in Chronicle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:22:04 am »
Someone on The Athletic reported Tucker is part of a package offered for Realmuto. Works for me.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 09:58:44 am »
Someone on The Athletic reported Tucker is part of a package offered for Realmuto. Works for me.

I would gladly trade Tucker for Realmuto.  I also read where the Yankees/Mets/Marlins have a ménage a trois for Realmuto in the works though.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Tucker article in Chronicle
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:32:55 am »
Tucker has really played himself into being trade bait. Wasn't he untouchable as late as the end of spring training ;last year?
E come vivo? Vivo.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:48:17 am »
If I were a betting man, I would put good money against Luhnow dealing Tucker for Realmuto.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:34:37 am »
I would gladly trade Tucker for Realmuto.  I also read where the Yankees/Mets/Marlins have a ménage a trois for Realmuto in the works though.
It was just reported on MLB network radio that the Yankees portion of this three team deal would have them getting Syndergaard with the Mets getting Realmuto. If that happens, then I don’t really know what to think about our team and what moves we could make to keep pace with Boston and New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 11:44:46 am »
It was just reported on MLB network radio that the Yankees portion of this three team deal would have them getting Syndergaard with the Mets getting Realmuto. If that happens, then I don’t really know what to think about our team and what moves we could make to keep pace with Boston and New York.

I'm not worried in the least.  There are plenty of options out there to improve this team.  If we don't land a player like Realmuto it's because the package of players was too much, to the point if you saw it you would probably not like it (i.e. Tucker, Whitley & Stassi).  I have confidence Luhnow is looking and will pull the trigger if a deal works and makes sense for the team.  That said, he's not going to force a deal and overpay either.  Just sit back and relax.  If Feb 1st rolls around and we've done nothing you can start chirping then.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 12:16:44 pm »

We are doomed.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 12:18:05 pm »
I'm not worried in the least.  There are plenty of options out there to improve this team.  If we don't land a player like Realmuto it's because the package of players was too much, to the point if you saw it you would probably not like it (i.e. Tucker, Whitley & Stassi).  I have confidence Luhnow is looking and will pull the trigger if a deal works and makes sense for the team.  That said, he's not going to force a deal and overpay either.  Just sit back and relax.  If Feb 1st rolls around and we've done nothing you can start chirping then.

Whitley is off limits. As I said, The Athletic reported Tucker has been offered.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 02:27:15 pm »
Tucker has really played himself into being trade bait. Wasn't he untouchable as late as the end of spring training ;last year?
Tucker had a very poor MLB debut, but it was only 72 trips to the plate, and he was 21 years old. Meanwhile, he hit .332/.400/.590 in AAA with 24 HR and 93 RBI in only 100 games. It's possible the Astros see something in his swing or approach or whatever where they don't think he'll ever approach those numbers in the majors, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he "played himself" into being trade bait.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »
Tucker had a very poor MLB debut, but it was only 72 trips to the plate, and he was 21 years old. Meanwhile, he hit .332/.400/.590 in AAA with 24 HR and 93 RBI in only 100 games. It's possible the Astros see something in his swing or approach or whatever where they don't think he'll ever approach those numbers in the majors, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he "played himself" into being trade bait.

Those AAA #s are incredible. If he could eventually do 85% of that in MLB he would be a superstar. I've just decided I don't want to deal him.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 02:32:52 pm »

They gave him the LF job, and he could not handle it.

How did Acuna do?

If they have offered him in a package for Realmuto, the brass has questions.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »

How did Acuna do?

How many 21 year olds are Acuna? Not many. How was Bregman in his first 72 ABs?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »

Dunno. If they offered him for Realmuto, they have questions.

Ok by me if he is in LF, but also ok if he brings Realmuto.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »
Dunno. If they offered him for Realmuto, they have questions.

Ok by me if he is in LF, but also ok if he brings Realmuto.

How did Acuna do?

Edit: Bregman first 72 PAs 10 hits and a .455 ops
Tucker first 72 PAs 9 hits .439 ops

Almost the same player

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 02:46:46 pm »

Edit: Bregman first 72 PAs 10 hits and a .455 ops
Tucker first 72 PAs 9 hits .439 ops

Almost the same player

Not even close to the same player

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:48 pm »

Looking back, sure. Thats only because we know bregman turned it around from there. How do you know a similar turn around isn't coming soon? You don't.

Heres a few more similarities

RBI - both had 4.
Extra base hits Bregman had 4 doubles, Tucker had 2 doubles and a triple.
Homers both had zero.
Walks, Bregman had 7, Tucker 6.
Ks, Bregman 17, Tucker 13.
Slash line
Bregman, .156/.236/.219
Tucker, .141/.236/.203

Edit: not even close though.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 03:01:53 pm »
Looking back, sure. Thats only because we know bregman turned it around from there. How do you know a similar turn around isn't coming soon? You don't.

RBI - both had 4.
Homers both had zero.
Slash line
Bregman, .156/.236/.219
Tucker, .141/.236/.203

Of course I don’t. Do you? The Astros brass does not either.
ETA: I am happy if he stays and hope he realized Ms his promise. I also am happy if he is traded for Realmuto.

The stats were similar. The players were not, and I am talking about first time in bigs. Bregman’s swing was sound. Tucker’s? Who knows.

ETA: I am happy if he stays and realizes his promise. I also am happy if he is traded for Realmuto.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:07:57 pm by JimR »

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »
Of course I don’t. Do you? The Astros brass does not either.
ETA: I am happy if he stays and hope he realized Ms his promise. I also am happy if he is traded for Realmuto.

The stats were similar. The players were not, and I am talking about first time in bigs. Bregman’s swing was sound. Tucker’s? Who knows.

ETA: I am happy if he stays and realizes his promise. I also am happy if he is traded for Realmuto.
No, I don't. I just don't think a guy should go from untouchable to expendable based on 72 PAs at the age of 21.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 03:22:34 pm »
My guess is whoever told The Athletic Luhnow offered Tucker for Realmuto is full of shit.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 03:25:42 pm »
My guess is whoever told The Athletic Luhnow offered Tucker for Realmuto is full of shit.
If he had, Realmuto would probably be an Astro right now

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »

All Astros rumors are smoke and mirrors.  Luhnow's work is done behind an iron curtain.
Goin' for a bus ride.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »

RBI - both had 4.
Homers both had zero.
Slash line
Bregman, .156/.236/.219
Tucker, .141/.236/.203

The numbers don't tell the story, though.  Bregman was hitting frozen ropes right at people.  So much so that Hinch and the players were laughing about it and patting him on the back as he dejectedly walked back into the dugout after each AB.  Tucker had massive holes in his loopy swing and the MLB pitchers were often making him look silly at the plate exploiting his immaturity.  Those numbers just don't communicate what was going on in actuality on the field. 
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 03:59:11 pm »
The numbers don't tell the story, though.  Bregman was hitting frozen ropes right at people.  So much so that Hinch and the players were laughing about it and patting him on the back as he dejectedly walked back into the dugout after each AB.  Tucker had massive holes in his loopy swing and the MLB pitchers were often making him look silly at the plate exploiting his immaturity.  Those numbers just don't communicate what was going on in actuality on the field.

Exactly. My eyes were driving my comments in this thread, but I gave up trying to talk to numbers.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
Exactly. My eyes were driving my comments in this thread, but I gave up trying to talk to numbers.

That's what I thought too.  I looked at some strange numbers though:  Tucker's exit velocity and hard-hit % were both higher than any of Bregman's seasons, the big one that stood out to me was that Tucker hit ground balls twice as often as Bregman last year.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

jwhudson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 02:16:37 pm »
Tucker says, "This year, I don’t care who I’m going to play against. I’m going to go out there and do well.”  The last time Luhnow didn't listen to one of his outfielders (Martinez), he swore he would not let their comments go unnoticed.   I really believe Tucker will be in the starting lineup for the big squad this coming season.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:44 pm »
That's what I thought too.  I looked at some strange numbers though:  Tucker's exit velocity and hard-hit % were both higher than any of Bregman's seasons, the big one that stood out to me was that Tucker hit ground balls twice as often as Bregman last year.

The Roll Over King.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »
Tucker says, "This year, I don’t care who I’m going to play against. I’m going to go out there and do well.”  The last time Luhnow didn't listen to one of his outfielders (Martinez), he swore he would not let their comments go unnoticed.   I really believe Tucker will be in the starting lineup for the big squad this coming season.

I hope he makes the decision easy for them in ST.  And I hope they have a great addition at DH between now and then.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Noe

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 05:20:49 pm »
When Cody Bellinger first came up to the bigs in 2017, he quickly became all the rage for media pundits on the MLB shows because of all the homeruns he was launching. In fact, if "Launch Angle" needed a poster boy, I'd select Cody Bellinger as the candidate. He was the kid that was deemed the savior in LA, the kid that would help them finally get that ring that has eluded them for 30 years.

Then he faced the Astros in the World Series and he got exposed. Any sort of breaking ball, he was toast. Any well located fastball or slider, he was an easy ground out. On occasion, he found the fastball, like when he found one off of McHugh's arm, but overall, nothing Bellinger showed me told me he was an elite hitter unless he was like most major leaguers and hunt the fastball and hit it. Then his swing could do damage.

So why am I talking about Bellinger in a Kyle Tucker thread?

Because I think there is a similarity that is not to be missed here. Had Tucker been fed fastball after fastball like Bellinger in his last season stint in 2017, you would have seen a very different performance.  But two things I saw from Tucker: 1) He was jumping at the ball instead of letting it come to him and 2) He never worked a count much but when he did, he crushed the ball. One night in Oakland, he hit a triple to right center field because he had a 0-2 count by laying off the pitches in the dirt. Knowing he would get a fastball, he looked relaxed and sure of himself instead of the kid I would often see jump at the ball. He got that fastball and he absolutely crushed it. The entire bench erupted when he arrived at third base and he actually cracked a smile. Even Justin Verlander was whooping it up. That is how you hit in the majors. But sadly that was not the case for most of his time in the bigs. Why was he jumping at the pitch? I dunno, but the go to answer would probably be he wanted it too badly, he wanted to help the team, and he was wearing the tag of "Next Big Hitting Prospect" and he basically was not doing the things he knows he can do. Can he do better? I dunno, like Yogi said "Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical".

Cody Bellinger? He's doing well, but he's not what I would call an elite hitter, but he's darn good though. Kyle Tucker? His numbers say he's going to be good, but at his age and perhaps mental approach, he needs just a little more work or seasoning. Does that mean he's going to be at least Cody Bellinger good? Well, I wouldn't bet against it. I think the kid can very well be a darn good major league hitter and that works in a lineup like Houstons.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:29:20 pm by Noe in Austin »

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 08:04:48 am »
I hope he makes the decision easy for them in ST.  And I hope they have a great addition at DH between now and then.

He had a great ST last year.