Author Topic: Today  (Read 2432 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Today
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:20:10 pm »
I do not mind losing games like last night. Today, however, was a killer. Bases loaded, one out, Marwin and Springer up, two innings in a row.

and why the fuck did we leave McCullers in for so long?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:51:42 pm by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:39:01 am »
I do not mind losing games like last night. Today, however, was a killer. Bases loaded, one out, Marwin and Springer up, two innings in a row.

Marwin killed me.  Twice he was up with runners in scoring position and didn't put the ball in play either time.  I know he drew a walk the last time, but I don't want him to take pitches and work the count full and draw a walk with the tying run on base in the 9th.  I want him to drive those runs in.  Situational hitting.

and why the fuck did we leave McCullers in for so long?

I was cussing Hinch that inning.  I understand sometimes a guy is not throwing that bad, but a couple of bad breaks, a donk, and within the span of 8-10 pitches, "oh shit, that's four runs on the board".  But this was a long, slow, agonizing bleeding of 8 runs as the lineup turned over and McCullers was throwing puss, just begging to be pulled.  Maybe Hinch was giving him a life lesson, kind of a "your mess, you clean it up" kind of thing, but it cost them a game. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:06:45 am »
Marwin killed me.  Twice he was up with runners in scoring position and didn't put the ball in play either time.  I know he drew a walk the last time, but I don't want him to take pitches and work the count full and draw a walk with the tying run on base in the 9th.  I want him to drive those runs in.  Situational hitting.

I was cussing Hinch that inning.  I understand sometimes a guy is not throwing that bad, but a couple of bad breaks, a donk, and within the span of 8-10 pitches, "oh shit, that's four runs on the board".  But this was a long, slow, agonizing bleeding of 8 runs as the lineup turned over and McCullers was throwing puss, just begging to be pulled.  Maybe Hinch was giving him a life lesson, kind of a "your mess, you clean it up" kind of thing, but it cost them a game.

I would rather Marwin draw a walk and keep the line moving than chase bad pitches and strike out like he did in the 8th.

It was the old McCullers yesterday, and if Hinch was not teaching him some sort of lesson, I have no idea why he was still out there after Rosario made it 5-1.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:37:21 am »
I'm not sure of what lesson Hinch intended to teach but he had a well rested bully and a day off.  The pen shut them down until the walkoff.   

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:03 am »
The ugly lesson for McCullers seemed to wake up the bats - hopefully.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:35:00 am »

For me, Hinch is human.  He's not going to do everything perfect.  He out managed Farrell, Girardi, and Roberts in the post-season.  He's got a 10 year reprieve for me second guessing him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 10:55:29 am »
Interesting: McCullers said he struggled because he tried to attack the hitters' weaknesses, rather than going with his own strengths: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-Balls-Strikes-Inside-Lance-McCullers-12826762.php
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:35:37 am »
Interesting: McCullers said he struggled because he tried to attack the hitters' weaknesses, rather than going with his own strengths: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-Balls-Strikes-Inside-Lance-McCullers-12826762.php

Oh, please.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »

Don't think, meat. You can only hurt the ball club.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 12:12:32 pm »
I would rather Marwin draw a walk and keep the line moving than chase bad pitches and strike out like he did in the 8th.

Sure.  But IIRC, he took some very hittable fastballs for strikes to get the count full.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:14:31 pm »

That's more spin than on his best curveball. 

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 07:51:17 pm »
That's more spin than on his best curveball.
Nominated.
Up in the Air

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 08:03:05 pm »
Watching the game yesterday got me to thinking about game 7 and how horrible it could have gone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 09:17:46 pm »
If I never hear another word about last year, it will be too soon. I will never have a better year as a fan, but we need to play this season.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 09:55:33 pm »
If I never hear another word about last year, it will be too soon. I will never have a better year as a fan, but we need to play this season.
The post of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 07:48:39 pm »
uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. King Henry says this when he is tired, sick, guilty for having usurped the thrown, and threatened by rebellions.
forever is composed entirely of nows