Author Topic: How to stream Astros games?  (Read 5094 times)

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
How to stream Astros games?
« on: March 04, 2017, 10:44:18 am »
I used to bitch eloquently about the blackout rules and how fucking stupid they are, but admittedly I've fallen behind the times. I don't know how the hell to watch the Astros anymore.

We dropped Dish Network last year because it's too expensive and went with PS Vue. It works well enough for the few times we use it, though we can't get any over-the-air network stations. These streaming services like PS Vue, Sling, and DirecTV Now are good in one way because you can pay month-to-month, drop them when you want, and go with a different one. But I don't see any of them offering Root or whatever channel it is that broadcasts the Astros.

So what's the best way to go? I live in the Astros home broadcast area, and also the home areas for the dumbass Rangers and cheating Shitbirds. Is MLB.tv a possibility? I do have a Chromecast to send streaming shows to the TV. It looks like MLB.tv is going to offer a single-team package for out-of-market games, but what about home games? How the fuck do I do this?

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: How to stream Astros games?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 11:33:21 am »
If you live in the Astros market, my understanding is that you need a cable or satellite service subscription to watch them on TV or to stream them.  The regional networks (Root Southwest) have contracts with the cable and satellite subscribers, which I'm sure prohibit them making the network available directly available to consumers, or through PS Vue for that matter.  It's a 10-year contract which I think would be up in 2022.  I'm sure at that point the shape of these contracts and the TV landscape will look vastly different. 

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:57:31 am »
I used to bitch eloquently about the blackout rules and how fucking stupid they are, but admittedly I've fallen behind the times. I don't know how the hell to watch the Astros anymore.

We dropped Dish Network last year because it's too expensive and went with PS Vue. It works well enough for the few times we use it, though we can't get any over-the-air network stations. These streaming services like PS Vue, Sling, and DirecTV Now are good in one way because you can pay month-to-month, drop them when you want, and go with a different one. But I don't see any of them offering Root or whatever channel it is that broadcasts the Astros.

So what's the best way to go? I live in the Astros home broadcast area, and also the home areas for the dumbass Rangers and cheating Shitbirds. Is MLB.tv a possibility? I do have a Chromecast to send streaming shows to the TV. It looks like MLB.tv is going to offer a single-team package for out-of-market games, but what about home games? How the fuck do I do this?
This is the last I saw about in-market streaming, and it'd only be for folks with a subscription to Root already. But it's a step.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 12:11:34 pm »
One possibility to be able to use MLB.tv in an in-market scenario would be to have a relative or friend who doesn't care to stream anything but has a Root TV subscription service to sign up for MLB.tv for you (pay them of course) then use their credentials. I have not tried this but I can't see how it wouldn't work.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
PEOPLE ARE SAYING that you can get a VPN and get mlb.tv to think you're somewheres else.

Regardless I feel like mlb.tv is a must for anyone beyond the casual baseball fan.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »
PEOPLE ARE SAYING that you can get a VPN and get mlb.tv to think you're somewheres else.

Regardless I feel like mlb.tv is a must for anyone beyond the casual baseball fan.
Can confirm that this works. I used it to watch the Astros on the failed network. The problem is that it kinda limits what devices you can use. It's much harder to fake your location on like a ps4 for example than it is on a pc. I also was never able to trick my phone so I could only watch highlights on my phone

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:19:27 pm »
Thanks for the help. It doesn't look like I'll be getting access to Root Southwest anytime soon unless they make a deal with PS Vue, which I don't expect. So I guess it's whatever I can get on MLB.tv.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:16:17 pm »
Thanks for the help. It doesn't look like I'll be getting access to Root Southwest anytime soon unless they make a deal with PS Vue, which I don't expect. So I guess it's whatever I can get on MLB.tv.

Root Sports is owned by ATT/DirecTV.  If they ever get around to streaming that'd likely be your best bet.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:38:41 am »

I used Unlocator for two years with great success.  It's not technically a VPN so it doesn't slow your connection down.  I tried actual VPN services like HideMyAss and the slower connection always caused the stream to buffer, pixelate, etc.

Can also echo doyce's comments about device limitations.  Works great on a Windows/Mac device, but can be tricky (or impossible) on other devices.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:51 am »
Root Sports is owned by ATT/DirecTV.  If they ever get around to streaming that'd likely be your best bet.

I didn't realize that. Thanks HH.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:25:34 am »
I used Unlocator for two years with great success.  It's not technically a VPN so it doesn't slow your connection down.  I tried actual VPN services like HideMyAss and the slower connection always caused the stream to buffer, pixelate, etc.

Can also echo doyce's comments about device limitations.  Works great on a Windows/Mac device, but can be tricky (or impossible) on other devices.

Thanks Waldo, that may be a good option too. I'm going to check it out.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:41:16 am »

I clicked on your unlocator link, I don't see pricing listed anywhere, how much is it?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 10:58:29 am »
Thanks Waldo, that may be a good option too. I'm going to check it out.

It works. I used a DNS redirect called UnoTelly from 2013 to 2015. Never figured out how to use it on a cellular network with my phone.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 02:02:25 pm »
I clicked on your unlocator link, I don't see pricing listed anywhere, how much is it?

Did you miss the "Pricing" link at the top?

$5/month, cheaper if you buy more months up front.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 03:51:27 pm »
Did you miss the "Pricing" link at the top?

$5/month, cheaper if you buy more months up front.

I see it now, I swear when I was on the site the first time, that bar across the top wasn't there.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:47:00 am »
One nice update -- PS Vue just added the MLB Network.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 02:08:36 pm »
I am trying to use a VPN for the first time and still suffering the blackout. Shouldn't I be able to turn it on and use the At Bat app with it, or are there more hoops to jump through?
RO RASROS!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:11 pm »
Which VPN are you using?

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
It's called ExpressVPN
RO RASROS!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »
Maybe try turning off location services on your phone?  I never tried any of this from a mobile device but it makes sense that the MLB app might use the device's location if it has access to it.

Also, make sure to pick a VPN server outside of the blackout area.  You may also try signing out of the MLB app, rebooting your phone, then enable the VPN, then sign back into the MLB app.

I found this page on ExpressVPN's web page, and there are a couple of comments from people who couldn't get it to work with the WBC: https://www.expressvpn.com/stream-sports/mlb/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:50:44 pm by Waldo »

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:12 pm »
Appreciate it, will give it a shot.
RO RASROS!

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 07:04:55 pm »
Does anyone know how to remove the function bar at the bottom of the screen when you go to full screen?  The bar with LIVE and the 10 second rewind on it.  It does not auto fade for me after any amount of time.  Running MacOS and Chrome.

Edited to add:   NVM, I figured it out.  Move the cursor to the left side of the screen......
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:30:22 pm by das »
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.