Author Topic: David Bowie - Changed  (Read 1507 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
David Bowie - Changed
« on: January 11, 2016, 06:13:54 am »
Moved on from human form to his next incarnation. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
Re: David Bowie - Changed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:12:00 am »
Such a great and talented artist. If you grew up in the late 60s-1970s, you already know how much he meant. If you did not, I am at a loss to explain.

R.I.P.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:51:40 am »
WTF?!?!
I just listened to his new album last night - he still had it.  Such a terrible loss.
RIP
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 09:05:45 am »
one of my fave movies of all times is the man who fell to earth. he was an alien as well as a great artist
rip
forever is composed entirely of nows

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:22:05 am »
After many years, I was just last week re-enjoying his older albums.  What a great artist.  RIP.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:50:22 am »
He was so cool. I had a period of near obsession from '72 to '78. A master artist and a rock icon. So profoundly influential and impactful. A true original, one of a kind. R.I.P.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:01:56 pm »
Brian Eno's reaction:

David’s death came as a complete surprise, as did nearly everything else about him. I feel a huge gap now. We knew each other for over 40 years, in a friendship that was always tinged by echoes of Pete and Dud. Over the last few years - with him living in New York and me in London - our connection was by email. We signed off with invented names: some of his were mr showbiz, milton keynes, rhoda borrocks and the duke of ear. About a year ago we started talking about Outside - the last album we worked on together. We both liked that album a lot and felt that it had fallen through the cracks. We talked about revisiting it, taking it somewhere new. I was looking forward to that. I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: ‘Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot.’ And it was signed ‘Dawn.’ I realise now he was saying goodbye.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:40:02 pm »
When we're in the car together,  my 8 year old son likes me to play music from my phone on shuffle.  Last week Space Oddity came on as we approached our neighborhood.   His usual fidgeting stopped.   He was transfixed.  We pulled into the driveway, parked,  and just listened to the rest of the song.

Yesterday I came in from a long-ass weekend at work.  The song that was playing when I got home,  and is still paused where I stopped it: Under Pressure.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:27:05 pm »
He was transfixed.

I like this little guy. I like him a lot. Next time a David Bowie song comes on turn around and give him a fist bump from good old chuck.

Bowie was a giant. I don't have it together enough to go into this more at the moment but he was an absolute titan. I can't think of any living artist who is anywhere near his galaxy as a songwriter. Maybe Smokey Robinson? He might be in the same universe.

I think I can pinpoint my passage from childhood into manhood, and that happened when I realized that David Bowie was more than a series of images, however interesting. He was essentially a peerless songwriter. Sadly this realization came to me when I was in my 30's.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja