Author Topic: Andy Aplin: A Scout's View  (Read 1449 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Andy Aplin: A Scout's View
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:18:10 pm »
Nice writeup I thought from Bernie Pleskoff.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Re: Andy Aplin: A Scout's View
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:56 am »
Thanks for posting. It's too bad that every profile I read by Pleskoff just seems so... fluffy. Like he's afraid to write anything negative, at all. I remember one he wrote of Grossman a couple years ago that was practically glowing, in every respect. Granted, he did point out an issue with Aplin's swing mechanics (which I hadn't heard before), and his comments about his future role were semi-critical, though mostly just... odd: "Defensively, Aplin fits best in left field or center field. He has a big, strong arm but maybe not a loud enough power bat to play right." and "Overall, I believe he profiles best as a left fielder." Uh, what?

I like Aplin, a lot, actually - he was really impressive in his Valleycats stint. If he can get his swing cleaned up and become at least a .270ish hitter in MLB, he could be a really useful 4th OF, because he draws a ton of walks, runs the bases well, and brings great defense to the table. It seems doubtful he'll ever hit for power, though.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Aplin: A Scout's View
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »
Thanks for posting. It's too bad that every profile I read by Pleskoff just seems so... fluffy. Like he's afraid to write anything negative, at all. I remember one he wrote of Grossman a couple years ago that was practically glowing, in every respect. Granted, he did point out an issue with Aplin's swing mechanics (which I hadn't heard before), and his comments about his future role were semi-critical, though mostly just... odd: "Defensively, Aplin fits best in left field or center field. He has a big, strong arm but maybe not a loud enough power bat to play right." and "Overall, I believe he profiles best as a left fielder." Uh, what?

I like Aplin, a lot, actually - he was really impressive in his Valleycats stint. If he can get his swing cleaned up and become at least a .270ish hitter in MLB, he could be a really useful 4th OF, because he draws a ton of walks, runs the bases well, and brings great defense to the table. It seems doubtful he'll ever hit for power, though.

I agree with your scenario of Aplin. Power is not required for 4th OFers. Good defensive and an ability to get on base is adequate.