Author Topic: Myers to the White Sox  (Read 21386 times)

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Myers to the White Sox
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:06:18 pm »
Rosenthal: Source: #WhiteSox acquire Brett Myers from #Astros.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Myers to the White Sox
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »
whoa they got someone to take him..i imagine the tension is thick enough to cut with a knife
forever is composed entirely of nows

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:38 pm »
The wifebeater tweets are *hi-LAR-i-ous*!!!
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:25 pm »
McTaggart confirms, but still no word on the return.

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:09 pm »
I think 110 losses is still achievable this year.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:26:27 pm »
I like the immediacy of Twitter, but it also reinforces the fact that the world is so full of morons with keypads and egos.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 02:35:16 pm »
I like the immediacy of Twitter, but it also reinforces the fact that the world is so full of morons with keypads and egos.

Alas, you've been reading my tweets I see... Good work!!!

BTW, per Levine

@zacharylevine
Astros get White Sox RHP Matt Heidenreich, LHP Blair Walters and a player to be named later in Myers deal
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 02:36:31 pm »
FWIW this makes room for Keuch today.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »
Sickels on Walters from his January Chicago White Sox Top 20 Prospects for 2012 (LINK)

21) Blair Walters, LHP, Grade C: 11th round pick from University of Hawaii relieved in college but moved to rotation in Pioneer League, showing 90+ fastball and better-than-expected slider. Like Snodgress, he could rank much higher next year once we get some full-season data.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »
Oh well, OSF caught Levine's tweet on the White Sox return slightly before me. Apparently, one of the guys, Walters, did well in low A but not so good in high A.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:24 pm »
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:53 pm »
Walters their #21 guy in a very weak farm system.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
FutureSox reports on Heidrenreich: LINK

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »
Alas, you've been reading my tweets I see... Good work!!!

BTW, per Levine

@zacharylevine
Astros get White Sox RHP Matt Heidenreich, LHP Blair Walters and a player to be named later in Myers deal

So either they are sending very little money or the PTBNL is a reasonable prospect....Erik Johnson or Keenyn Walker?
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »
A tweet from Steve Campbell (neither here nor there but just misc. comment - remember, he left the writing gig and is on to other endeavors):

Steve Campbell ‏@ReformedWriter
Don't know anything about the players received in return for Brett Myers, but the Astros clubhouse just became a lot less cancerous.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »
A tweet from Steve Campbell (neither here nor there but just misc. comment - remember, he left the writing gig and is on to other endeavors):

Don't know anything about the players received in return for Brett Myers, but the Astros clubhouse just became a lot less cancerous.

Wasn't there something of a twitter spat between those two?

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »
Another neither here nor there, but...

Sean Pendergast ‏@SeanCablinasian
Good thing they waited till Carlos left -- RT @brianmctaggart Astros have claimed 25-year-old RHP Mark Hamburger off waivers from the Padres

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »
Wasn't there something of a twitter spat between those two?

No clue, but not the first time or person I've seen linking Myers to attitude issues in the clubhouse...

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »
So either they are sending very little money or the PTBNL is a reasonable prospect....Erik Johnson or Keenyn Walker?

Farmstros has been all over these PTBNLs...  I'll make sure and post the info when I see it.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 02:53:25 pm »

Per Heyman tweet:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
#chisox only responsible for $1M of myers' deal this year. also received $ toward '13 salary or buyout.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

Seems like a pretty weak return if the PTBNL isn't someone decent, but this could just be a straight salary dump to enable them to eat more of Wandy's contract to facilitate a trade.

#chisox only responsible for $1M of myers' deal this year. also received $ toward '13 salary or buyout.

Okay, just hoping it's a good PTBNL now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:57:41 pm by moriartp »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 02:57:31 pm »
Seems like a pretty weak return if the PTBNL isn't someone decent, but this could just be a straight salary dump to enable them to eat more of Wandy's contract to facilitate a trade.

If Heyman is correct (yes, I know what I just said...), doesn't look like much of a salary dump...

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »
Farmstros (via Twitter): 

Mike Tauser ‏@farmstros
Only three of the White Sox 2011 draft picks signed LESS than one year ago (25th, 30th, and 33rd) #PTBNL  http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=cws&year=2011

That would be:

RD 25 - Chris Devenski (RHP), R / R,   6' 3", 195, 11/13/1990
RD 30 - Brandon Parrent (LHP), L / L, 6' 3", 215, 07/14/1990
RD 33 - Bryce Mosier (C) R / R, 6' 2", 200, 05/21/1993

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »
PTBNL isn't always about a recent signee.  It could have to do with Myers performance the rest of the way.
Goin' for a bus ride.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:19 pm »
According to this:  http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120721&content_id=35308988&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou

Heidenreich... He will be assigned to Double-A Corpus Christi.

Walters...He will be assigned to Class A Lancaster.

So Lancaster got a new starter and Corpus got 2 starters in the last 2 days.  Lot more moves in the minors is needed.  Not to mention Alaniz just came off the DL (for Lancaster)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:56:42 pm by pots »

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »

From what I have heard.... Myers was an absolute ass, he punched out Jamie Quirk, and also got in a fight with Bud and ended up punching him in the face.  How Myers wasn't run out of town after the Quirk incident is beyond me, but I guess they were to worried about his trade value. 

That was all last season, this season he seemed to mature some and really took a liking to the BP roll.  Still, glad to have that turd out of here.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »
From what I have heard.... Myers was an absolute ass, he punched out Jamie Quirk, and also got in a fight with Bud and ended up punching him in the face.  How Myers wasn't run out of town after the Quirk incident is beyond me, but I guess they were to worried about his trade value. 

That was all last season, this season he seemed to mature some and really took a liking to the BP roll.  Still, glad to have that turd out of here.

Wow. Where the hell did you hear all that? I know he had the issues back in his Phillies time, but I had gotten the impression he'd mellowed a lot and was possibly even a bit of a leader-type on this team.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »
Wow. Where the hell did you hear all that? I know he had the issues back in his Phillies time, but I had gotten the impression he'd mellowed a lot and was possibly even a bit of a leader-type on this team.

Ditto.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 03:51:45 pm »

FWIW, I heard about the Quirk "incident," but I didn't know that Myers actually punched Quirk. It would surprise me if that actually happened and he didn't get disciplined publicly. That's almost like choking the GM, a/k/a Chacon.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »
Surprises me too Mr Happy.  Only thing I can think was Wade and Drayton didn't want to eat the salary and were hoping to move him. 

Quirk showed up to one of the events, wive's gala or something like that with a shiner.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »
I'm glad that scraggly-ass beard is gone.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »
Surprises me too Mr Happy.  Only thing I can think was Wade and Drayton didn't want to eat the salary and were hoping to move him. 

Quirk showed up to one of the events, wive's gala or something like that with a shiner.

Wow. I'm glad that he is gone, even if it means that we will lose more games. I Guess this means that Cordero or Lopez is the new closer?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »
Wow. I'm glad that he is gone, even if it means that we will lose more games.

Given his recent performance, it's hard to imagine that we will lose more games.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »
Per Heyman tweet:

Probably just the buyout money.  Myers' 2013 club option vests if he finishes games, which supposedly he will not be in Chicago

He leaves with class:

http://twitter.com/TheOutlaw39/status/226772121798467584

Brett Myers
 ‏@TheOutlaw39 I wanna thank the Astros organization and their fans for the support and opportunity to play in Houston! My and I family enjoyed it there!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:04:24 pm by pots »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »
Why all this shit about Myers now, but not before?  Either really crappy reporting, or a really tight ship. If a tight ship, then there is at least something this club does well. 

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 06:04:42 pm »
Another neither here nor there, but...

Sean Pendergast ‏@SeanCablinasian
Good thing they waited till Carlos left -- RT @brianmctaggart Astros have claimed 25-year-old RHP Mark Hamburger off waivers from the Padres

Sounds like a natural for those Whataburger appearances.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:56 pm »
Wow. I'm glad that he is gone, even if it means that we will lose more games. I Guess this means that Cordero or Lopez is the new closer?

According to a Chron tweet, Cordero is the new closer. A washed up 37 year old closer who is living on a slider pitching for a washed up team. It fits.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »
According to a Chron tweet, Cordero is the new closer. A washed up 37 year old closer who is living on a slider pitching for a washed up team. It fits.

I was surprised at that too. He sure hasn't shown anything this season.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »

I don't understand why this is surprising. They gave up one of their two remaining tradeable pieces, and got a nominal closer back (and, really, how often does this team need a closer?). We're just going to have to suck it up and suffer through the next couple of years.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 09:53:33 pm »
I was surprised at that too. He sure hasn't shown anything this season.

You never know. Maybe pitching for this travelin' horseshit show may reinvigorate his career. Of course, at 52, I could work on my knuckleball and pitch in the big leagues. Anything (but that) is possible.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 09:53:59 pm »
Cordero has pretty much sucked this year, and Lopez has been fairly effective, more so than Cordero anyway.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 09:54:47 pm »
I don't understand why this is surprising. They gave up one of their two remaining tradeable pieces, and got a nominal closer back (and, really, how often does this team need a closer?). We're just going to have to suck it up and suffer through the next couple of years.

fasten your seatbelts, gentlemen. It's about to get even uglier.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:02 pm »
Why all this shit about Myers now, but not before?  Either really crappy reporting, or a really tight ship. If a tight ship, then there is at least something this club does well. 

Believe it or not Pinwheel said last year something to the effect of if the Astros are ever going to improve there is one cancer in the clubhouse they will surely have to remove. (He probably did it without the Johnny Cochran rhetorical flourish, but anyway.) At the time I thought that it could not possibly be Myers because that would have been too obvious; why not just come out and name him? So from then on I have wondered almost on a daily basis who that cancer could be. I guess now I know. Apparently everyone knew but me and Reuben.

I remember when they signed Myers Alkie said something like, Well, this is the end of the Astros that we used to know. I thought it hyperbolic at the time but have come to see that he was right. I'm all for giving a guy a break and all but there are some things that are so obviously, so repugnantly wrong that in my view there exists a very slim chance for redemption.

This may be addition by subtraction. I too think the Astros will lose 110 or more games (I said this months ago), but it won't be because they don't have Myers to lock things down anymore. If anything his absence will help the team. I am disappointed that they named Cordero the closer. I was hoping that they'd take a closer by committee approach. Lopez is obviously far and away the most effective reliever they have. Rather than make him the closer (which I'm sure his agent is lobbying hard for) I'd like to see him inserted in the most perilous situations and sort of build around that. On a team in this sort of disarray I think it's crazy to have a designated closer.

But I think Luhnow is doing a great job. He's getting return for players that won't be around in the surprising event that the team does not suck in three, four, five years. He's jettisoning dead weight. His draft was an absolute home run, at least as far as we can tell today.

And since I'm in a good mood I'll give credit to my old friend Ed Wade for drafting Springer. I think that he's going to be a star. One good player in four years of drafts isn't asking too much I don't think.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:25 am »
And I was in a perfectly good mood until the plastic bag of the four beers I was carrying broke and reflexively trying to catch them one bottle hit my hand and inexplicably shattered fucking slashing both hands and making a worrisome cut to the base of my right thumb.

This is not the first time I've cut my hand in a beer related incident but it is certainly the first time I've done so before I've actually drunk the beer. I guess we all age.

I have the bleeding under control now and I doubt I'll need stitches. As I mention I have some lamentable experience in these matters.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 01:17:17 am »
Dammit Chuck, take care of yourself.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 06:44:18 am »
And I was in a perfectly good mood until the plastic bag of the four beers I was carrying broke and reflexively trying to catch them one bottle hit my hand and inexplicably shattered fucking slashing both hands and making a worrisome cut to the base of my right thumb.

This is not the first time I've cut my hand in a beer related incident but it is certainly the first time I've done so before I've actually drunk the beer. I guess we all age.

I have the bleeding under control now and I doubt I'll need stitches. As I mention I have some lamentable experience in these matters.

See what happens when you praise Ed Wade?
Don't think twice, it's alright.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 10:59:37 am »

Man, you're not kidding. If I ever happen to say anything nice about that goon again I'll have to remember to buy cans for the duration of the immediate karmic aftermath. Or get the bitch to double bag it at least.
Y todo lo que sube baja

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »

sfn

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2012, 12:40:24 pm »
Well I hope the surviving beers help ease the pain, Chuck.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 01:21:06 pm »
Well I hope the surviving beers help ease the pain, Chuck.

There was some awful 80's movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, something like that, I'm sure one of our many 80's movie experts will know immediately, that had a sort of labored masturbation joke - one of the guys beat off so much that hair grew on the palms of his hands requiring him to shave and of course he subsequently cut himself and had band-aids on the palms of his hands. Well, that's me, wandering around with band-aids on the palms of my hands (and beyond) like some sort of massive pajón.

The beer by the way was Club Colombia Negro which is pretty good if you like watery dark beers like Heineken Dark or Becks Dark. It's nowhere near as heavy or deep as a porter but it's an agreeable change from the regular Club Colombia. They have a Rojo, also, which to me is terrible as I despise all redish and most brownish beers but the regular Club is quite good for an unassuming sort of pilsner.

There wasn't really any pain, just a lot of blood, but thanks. That reminds me, I'm going to go change my dressings.
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »
There was some awful 80's movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, something like that, I'm sure one of our many 80's movie experts will know immediately, that had a sort of labored masturbation joke - one of the guys beat off so much that hair grew on the palms of his hands requiring him to shave and of course he subsequently cut himself and had band-aids on the palms of his hands. Well, that's me, wandering around with band-aids on the palms of my hands (and beyond) like some sort of massive pajón.

The beer by the way was Club Colombia Negro which is pretty good if you like watery dark beers like Heineken Dark or Becks Dark. It's nowhere near as heavy or deep as a porter but it's an agreeable change from the regular Club Colombia. They have a Rojo, also, which to me is terrible as I despise all redish and most brownish beers but the regular Club is quite good for an unassuming sort of pilsner.

There wasn't really any pain, just a lot of blood, but thanks. That reminds me, I'm going to go change my dressings.

I take issue with the characterization of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" as "awful". Next you'll tell me that "Rock and Roll High School" is dreck.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »
P J Soles means it cannot be dreck.

It goes without saying that the Ramones mean the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:44:29 pm by Ron Brand »

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 02:45:18 pm »

Thank you.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »

I have several Ramones songs on both of my ipods.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
I have several Ramones songs on both of my ipods.

I have failed at many things, but my daughters are Ramones fans.

strosrays

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »

What I like is that through all this, you never stopped typing.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 09:05:32 pm »
PTBNL isn't always about a recent signee.  It could have to do with Myers performance the rest of the way.

To the extent that it is a player on the DL, here is your list (in White Sox and Blue Jays trades: LINK to Farmstros

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2012, 10:27:20 pm »
What I like is that through all this, you never stopped typing.

I can do any number of things with one hand.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:03 pm »

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Slam. This. One. HOme.

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:57 am »
Shaving your palms not being one, apparently.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2012, 12:27:45 am »
To the extent that it is a player on the DL, here is your list (in White Sox and Blue Jays trades: LINK to Farmstros
Would being on the DL keep a minor leaguer from being named, though? Schafer was on the DL at the time of the Bourn trade.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 07:45:14 am »
Would being on the DL keep a minor leaguer from being named, though? Schafer was on the DL at the time of the Bourn trade.

I think it depends on the deal.  It was a while back, but I remember reading an article that discussed PlayersTBNL.  One of the uses for such was with guys that were injured.  Sometimes part of the deal is an alloted amount of time to get to see said player come off the DL (or not) and play prior to making your decision.  Assuming you decide against that player there would a short list of others players that you could plug into the deal in that players place.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:28 am »
I think it depends on the deal.  It was a while back, but I remember reading an article that discussed PlayersTBNL.

Here is an old Neyer primer on the subject: ESPN LINK

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
Dempster appears to be headed to Atlanta. Reports say Randall Delgado is in the deal.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »
Hey Brad,

Leave Wandy in tonight.  That is all.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012, 04:58:33 pm »
Morosi reporting Anibal Sanchez + Omar Infante to the Tigers for Jacob Turner plus.  Plus what, who knows, but hey, he's first.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 05:02:12 pm »
Morosi reporting Anibal Sanchez + Omar Infante to the Tigers for Jacob Turner plus.  Plus what, who knows, but hey, he's first.

Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante, and Miami's competitive balance pick are headed to Detroit in exchange for Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly, Brian Flynn, and Detroit's competitive balance pick. It's an interesting trade.

Levine pointed this out the other day: good job by Luhnow of moving early on trades. If he'd waited toward closer to the deadline, the Marlins would obviously not have been a suitor for Carlos. By July 31, the White Sox might feel less like buyers. I'm fascinated to see what happens with Wandy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:06:25 pm by moriartp »

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »
Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante, and Miami's competitive balance pick are headed to Detroit in exchange for Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly, Brian Flynn, and Detroit's competitive balance pick. It's an interesting trade.

Those picks are now dead, so neither team can use their pick for future trades.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2012, 05:08:55 pm »

Forget this trade... Ichiro to the Yankees?!?  WOW, didn't see that coming...

‏@JackCurryYES

The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki for RHPs DJ Mitchell and Danny Fahrquar, a source said. Yanks also get undisclosed cash in deal.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
Shit, I liked Ichiro.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 05:15:14 pm »
Forget this trade... Ichiro to the Yankees?!?  WOW, didn't see that coming...

‏@JackCurryYES

The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki for RHPs DJ Mitchell and Danny Fahrquar, a source said. Yanks also get undisclosed cash in deal.

That is very surprising. But as @jonbernhardt points out, it makes sense on one very important level: "The most important thing the Mariners acquired in this trade was an excuse not to extend Ichiro"

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2012, 05:15:49 pm »
Shit, I liked Ichiro.

First thing I thought, too.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:13 pm »
Morosi reporting Anibal Sanchez + Omar Infante to the Tigers for Jacob Turner plus.  Plus what, who knows, but hey, he's first.
I thought Turner was supposed to be a big deal... the Tigers gave him up for two slightly-above-average players, neither of whom will be around for long (Sanchez is a FA this winter, Infante next)? Makes me wonder what they would've offered for Wandy.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:30 pm »
Makes me wonder what they would've offered for Wandy.

I think people need to prepare themselves to be underwhelmed by the return for Wandy. I absolutely think he'll be moved, but I don't expect anything interesting in return.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »
If they don't get offered anything worthwhile, why deal him?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »

Sell high?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
wandy tonight could affect the trade value
forever is composed entirely of nows

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:32 pm »
Agree. I hope they don't. Meaning, I hope Crane hasn't told Luhnow to get Wandy's salary off the books no matter what.
Sell high?
I think you're joking... I expect Wandy to get over his slump sooner or later. Maybe they can work out a waiver deal in August, since so many people seem to think his salary is so outrageous.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »
I think you're joking... I expect Wandy to get over his slump sooner or later. Maybe they can work out a waiver deal in August, since so many people seem to think his salary is so outrageous.

Half-joking, half not. Clearly there's value in being able to run out a veteran every five days, and I don't think that they're so desperate to shed salary that they'd let him go for nothing. But I *do* think that Wandy is in decline, and I think that what you've seen this year (which isn't all that great) is all you're likely to see in the future. At this point he's just an average starter.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »
Half-joking, half not. Clearly there's value in being able to run out a veteran every five days, and I don't think that they're so desperate to shed salary that they'd let him go for nothing. But I *do* think that Wandy is in decline, and I think that what you've seen this year (which isn't all that great) is all you're likely to see in the future. At this point he's just an average starter.

Wandy may benefit by a change of scenery. He seems like a guy that has concentration problems at times and pitching in the current situation may not be keeping him mentally sharp.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »
Wandy could put two more years of mid three ERA for almost 200 innings and people will still act like you can just pick that up at the corner store. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2012, 09:29:39 am »
Agree. I hope they don't. Meaning, I hope Crane hasn't told Luhnow to get Wandy's salary off the books no matter what.

When he was interviewed during last night's game, Luhnow said there was no salary need to move Wandy, only for prospects. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:53 am »
When he was interviewed during last night's game, Luhnow said there was no salary need to move Wandy, only for prospects. 

Levine also put up a post yesterday in which Luhnow said that with all the money coming off the books, they'll be active in free agency (no big long-term contracts, but more active than last offseason). I don't know how much that will be contingent on clearing Wandy's salary, but the payroll will be very low in either case.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2012, 09:45:35 am »
Wandy could put two more years of mid three ERA for almost 200 innings and people will still act like you can just pick that up at the corner store. 

/checks last two months
//looks for mid three ERA
///sees only Chris Holt-level performance
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
Wandy may benefit by a change of scenery. He seems like a guy that has concentration problems at times and pitching in the current situation may not be keeping him mentally sharp.

I don't see many teams lining up to hand over high quality prospects for a pitcher with "concentration problems".  At best, high-ceiling, low floor types.  Most likely, reliever-type prospects with Houston picking up a hefty portion of the salary. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:27 am »
/checks last two months
Sure, there are arguments that support the Wandy is a middling pitcher argument and I've heard many different ones for years, yet he continues to produce.

As to this specific one, I don't doubt you could cull out periods in any of those years and have made the same argument, as you most likely could for a lot of pitchers with similar stats.  If he continues on his recent pace for the rest of the year, let me know.  Until then, I'll judge him by what he has done over a much longer period. 

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2012, 10:18:12 am »
Sure, there are arguments that support the Wandy is a middling pitcher argument and I've heard many different ones for years, yet he continues to produce.

As to this specific one, I don't doubt you could cull out periods in any of those years and have made the same argument, as you most likely could for a lot of pitchers with similar stats.  If he continues on his recent pace for the rest of the year, let me know.  Until then, I'll judge him by what he has done over a much longer period. 

The problem is that teams that need immediate help will judge him on recent performance.  Or at least will say they are in establishing price.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:30 am »
You are no doubt correct.  It is obvious that he does not have much value in the open market, and it just baffles me as to why.  It also baffles me why people want to deal him just to deal him because then you are faced with signing his production on the open market and paying a price similar to his current salary.  Thankfully, if Luhnow wasn't just BS-ing on the broadcast, he won't deal him just to deal him, and will demand a fair price to deal him. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:16 am »
I don't see many teams lining up to hand over high quality prospects for a pitcher with "concentration problems".  At best, high-ceiling, low floor types.  Most likely, reliever-type prospects with Houston picking up a hefty portion of the salary. 

I never argued that teams would have to break the bank to get Wandy. My point is that he could turn out to be a good value for a new team.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2012, 11:46:44 am »
You are no doubt correct.  It is obvious that he does not have much value in the open market, and it just baffles me as to why.  It also baffles me why people want to deal him just to deal him because then you are faced with signing his production on the open market and paying a price similar to his current salary.  Thankfully, if Luhnow wasn't just BS-ing on the broadcast, he won't deal him just to deal him, and will demand a fair price to deal him. 

I don't know that he doesn't have much value in the open market; desperate teams looking for arms will take a flyer on a proven lefty starter. I just suspect that no one values him as highly as Luhnow right now in terms of what Luhnow wants in exchange. Give it a few more days. If Oswalt's back is still out and Feliz isn't coming back yet, even the stRangers could be in the hunt for Wandy. Just my own hunch.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:41 pm »
I don't know that he doesn't have much value in the open market; desperate teams looking for arms will take a flyer on a proven lefty starter. I just suspect that no one values him as highly as Luhnow right now in terms of what Luhnow wants in exchange. Give it a few more days. If Oswalt's back is still out and Feliz isn't coming back yet, even the stRangers could be in the hunt for Wandy. Just my own hunch.

My gut tells me that the Rangers will shoot, and get because of their organizational strength, higher than Wandy. Maybe Greinke, Hamels? They have said only the hot-shot SS at Frisco is unavailable in the right deal and they really need a top-of-the-rotation guy they feel comfortable with starting game one or two of a playoff/WS. Lewis probably would have been that guy before the season-ending injury. Feliz may go back to the pen when he's well. It will be interesting to see if they dangle Olt, a 3Bman with 20+ HRs.

ferret

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »
Levine also put up a post yesterday in which Luhnow said that with all the money coming off the books, they'll be active in free agency (no big long-term contracts, but more active than last offseason). I don't know how much that will be contingent on clearing Wandy's salary, but the payroll will be very low in either case.

Free agents? To do what with? Two years and an option bullshit? If they also buy a monkey to ride on the guys head while he runs in circles that might at least draw a crowd.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »
Free agents? To do what with? Two years and an option bullshit? If they also buy a monkey to ride on the guys head while he runs in circles that might at least draw a crowd.

Trade at the deadline?
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »

Because having someone to play 3B adequately for the next three/four years until Correa's ready might be worthwhile.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

ferret

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2012, 01:44:15 pm »
Trade at the deadline?

That's what I was thinking.  Adding to the endless round of 2 minor leaguers for 1 major leaguer trades.  It does not take freeing up free agent money to find someone to catch a ground ball at 3rd for a couple years.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2012, 01:55:40 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  Adding to the endless round of 2 minor leaguers for 1 major leaguer trades.  It does not take freeing up free agent money to find someone to catch a ground ball at 3rd for a couple years.

To be fair, the trades are the most entertaining thing about this team these days.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 02:13:54 pm »
Because having someone to play 3B adequately for the next three/four years until Correa's ready might be worthwhile.

Have they already given up on Correa at short? (frowny face)
Grab another Coke and let's die

ferret

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:25 pm »
To be fair, the trades are the most entertaining thing about this team these days.

The cult of the GM is not entertaining.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2012, 02:28:08 pm »

No. Everything I've heard from Luhnow is that he is a SS.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2012, 02:50:49 pm »

I haven't heard anyone say Correa lacks the skills to stay there. Those who think he'll have to move base their position on the assumption that a 6'4" 17-year-old is going to grow out of the position as he fills out. Personally, I don't have a fucking clue, but everyone seems to agree that he'll be a good defender at whichever position his body allows him to play.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:20 pm »
/checks last two months

Chris Holt was unfairly maligned.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:56 pm »

Excellent post.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:50 pm »
Those who think he'll have to move base their position on the assumption that a 6'4" 17-year-old is going to grow out of the position as he fills out.

Just like the 6'4" 200-lb. Cal Ripken or the 6'3" 225-lb. Alex Rodriguez?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2012, 05:18:17 pm »

he was not maligned nearly enough.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »

This is where I have a problem with ERA+.  As Bill James said, if you come up with a metric and it gives you results that are glaringly false, re-evaluate the metric.

ERA+ is telling me Chris Holt was a league-average pitcher for his career.  If that were true, his career would have lasted longer than 4 years.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2012, 06:30:06 pm »
This is where I have a problem with ERA+.  As Bill James said, if you come up with a metric and it gives you results that are glaringly false, re-evaluate the metric.

ERA+ is telling me Chris Holt was a league-average pitcher for his career.  If that were true, his career would have lasted longer than 4 years.

If they're going to go all statty on us, his career WHIP was 1.5, which sucks. We chronicled here, because I was a party to it, all of the many levels of his suckitude.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2012, 06:47:08 pm »

The league average ERA was 4.96 and 5.03 in 1999 and 2000 respectively. Holt had ERAs of 4.66 and 5.35 with an ERA+ of 96 and 93 those two years. (2012 ERA average in NL is 3.95 for reference.) So steroids are the problem, not so much the stat.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:47 pm »
You guys need to switch on the sarc-o-meter.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2012, 10:09:06 pm »
You guys need to switch on the sarc-o-meter.

Luhnow traded it.
Y todo lo que sube baja

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »
Luhnow traded it.

For three mildly promising gaydars.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2012, 10:14:40 pm »
The league average ERA was 4.96 and 5.03 in 1999 and 2000 respectively. Holt had ERAs of 4.66 and 5.35 with an ERA+ of 96 and 93 those two years. (2012 ERA average in NL is 3.95 for reference.) So steroids are the problem, not so much the stat.

What I remember most about Holt was that he always seemed to pitch just well enough to lose. With a 28-51 career record, he had plenty of experience losing.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Myers to the White Sox
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

How many free agents worth having are going to want to sign with a team that has a maximum upside of 50 wins?
E come vivo? Vivo.

ferret

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »
How many free agents worth having are going to want to sign with a team that has a maximum upside of 50 wins?

End of a career guy playing out the string maybe?  I think the monkey on the head thing will scare off a few too.  Why even say something like that in the press?  Get the fans hopes up?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »

Someone who wants a job and money?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »
What I remember most about Holt was that he always seemed to pitch just well enough to lose. With a 28-51 career record, he had plenty of experience losing.

Even when he pitched well he didn't get any run support.  On the 1999 team, at least.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2012, 11:58:04 pm »
Even when he pitched well he didn't get any run support.  On the 1999 team, at least.

It sounds as if your recollection is similar to mine. I remember Holt getting blown out as well as losing 3-2. He just always seemed to lose the ball game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2012, 06:27:23 am »

A pitcher's job is to give up fewer runs than his team scores. WFW to no run support.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2012, 07:17:45 am »
A pitcher's job is to give up fewer runs than his team scores. WFW to no run support.

Not arguing that point at all.  The guy clearly knew how to lose ballgames.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:45 am »

Has anyone told Cordero? 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2012, 10:31:57 am »
I see we're still arguing like its 1999.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:11 am »
I see we're still arguing like its 1999.

They say two thousand zero zero party on the roofs, out of time...

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »
Zachary Levine ‏@zacharylevine

Astros acquire Class A RHP Chris Devenski from White Sox as PTBNL in Brett Myers trade. Still one coming from Jays too.

25th rounder from 2011. 

BA

So does Devenski, a converted shortstop who transferred from Golden West JC. He fell out of favor early in the year before coming on again a bit in the second half, though he had a 4.98 ERA in 22 innings through 15 appearances on the spring. Devenski ran his fastball up to 94 mph in the fall, but he’s been more 90-92 and straight this spring, and there were outings when he worked in the high 80s. His slider and changeup are serviceable.

we'll see, but not what I had in mind when Luhnow suggested PBTNL as "key piece"

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:32 pm »
He started the year as a reliever and even closed two games before becoming a starter. This source says he was slated between a 5-15 round pick but fell to 25 due to sign-ability issues.

In time, maybe we will see what Lunhow saw.

Always ready to go to a game.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »
I check in and see someone trying to defend Holt? WTF?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:34 pm »
I check in and see someone trying to defend Holt? WTF?

It didn't work very well.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »
He started the year as a reliever and even closed two games before becoming a starter. This source says he was slated between a 5-15 round pick but fell to 25 due to sign-ability issues.

In time, maybe we will see what Lunhow saw.

Do you know if he was drafed as a pitcher or SS? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Fynn

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »
Anyone who subscribes to MILB videos can watch Devenski pitch against Lexington back on July 11. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2012, 05:59:44 am »
Do you know if he was drafed as a pitcher or SS? I'm too lazy to look it up.

As a pitcher.  He converted from SS to P while in college.
Always ready to go to a game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2012, 11:46:48 am »
As a pitcher.  He converted from SS to P while in college.

Ok, good. Thanks.