Author Topic: Funny Denial League Story  (Read 1307 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Funny Denial League Story
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:24:40 am »
A lot of times, when a hitter swings at a border line pitch, he'll ask the umpire if it was otherwise a strike.  90% of the time, the umpire will say "oh yeah, that was right on the corner" or something like that.  Once in a while the ump will say "no, I would have called that a ball".  Either way, the ump usually says something about the pitch.  Last night, playoffs of the old man division of the Denial League.  Close game, 3-2 count on the hitter.  The hitter swings at a pitch that was over the plat, but high, and fouls it back.  He turns to the ump as asks "was that a strike or did I swing at ball four?"  The ump says "we'll never know, will we".  I couldn't help but laught out loud.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Denial League Story
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »
A lot of times, when a hitter swings at a border line pitch, he'll ask the umpire if it was otherwise a strike.  90% of the time, the umpire will say "oh yeah, that was right on the corner" or something like that.  Once in a while the ump will say "no, I would have called that a ball".  Either way, the ump usually says something about the pitch.  Last night, playoffs of the old man division of the Denial League.  Close game, 3-2 count on the hitter.  The hitter swings at a pitch that was over the plat, but high, and fouls it back.  He turns to the ump as asks "was that a strike or did I swing at ball four?"  The ump says "we'll never know, will we".  I couldn't help but laught out loud.

Once during a denial league game as my shoulder was nearing the end of its useful pitching life, I asked a home plate umpire from the mound whether a pitch that I'd thrown that had been fouled off was a strike or a ball, I got the same answer, which I regarded as smug at the time, but on reflection after having acquired some sense over the years, he was absolutely fucking right. We will never know because he didn't have to make the call.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »
Once during a denial league game as my shoulder was nearing the end of its useful pitching life, I asked a home plate umpire from the mound whether a pitch that I'd thrown that had been fouled off was a strike or a ball, I got the same answer, which I regarded as smug at the time, but on reflection after having acquired some sense over the years, he was absolutely fucking right. We will never know because he didn't have to make the call.

There was also a situation last night where the batter asked for a new ball to be given to the pitcher.  Apparently he didn't like the one in play.  Granted, our gamers go long past when a pro ball would be tossed out, and it was a little dingy, but not excessively so.  The umpire pulls out two pearls and asks me if my pitcher would like a new ball.  I said, "no, he's fine with the one he has.  It's the same ball we've been using all night".  The hitter mumbled the whole at bat.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »
Love the stories.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:32:07 pm »
there was a red-assed umpire when i was coaching Mark at McCallum that taught me a question i could not ask him. on a close pitch from my pitcher, i could not ask "where was it?" he let me do it once and told me between innings, "if i call it a ball, it is a ball. do not EVER ask me where the pitch was. it was a ball."

yes, sir.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:57:40 pm »
I enjoyed hearing balls occasionally called with locations during the CWS this year. "Ball, that's outside!", etc.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »
there was a red-assed umpire when i was coaching Mark at McCallum that taught me a question i could not ask him. on a close pitch from my pitcher, i could not ask "where was it?" he let me do it once and told me between innings, "if i call it a ball, it is a ball. do not EVER ask me where the pitch was. it was a ball."

yes, sir.

One of our assistant coaches got run for simply asking where it was without a warning other than a glare toward the dugout. That guy was not only the worst umpire in collegiate baseball, but he had serious rabbit ears.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Noe

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:56:19 pm »
One of my last seasons in the HMSBL, I was the pitcher on an awful team. It happens. I was throwing well this night, but for some reason, the umpire decided the strikezone did not exist above the waistline. So in a wrong move on my part, I asked him after a particular bad inning "What am I doing wrong that the high pitches aren't strikes". His answer "Throwing them for balls" without blinking an eye and turning away.

I laughed and then I heard him laugh too. All I could say was "Thanks blue, message received". In the following inning, he came out to give me a new baseball and told me he generally liked me but don't ever ask him a stupid question again. I just shook my head in agreement.