Author Topic: Arizona Fall League  (Read 5183 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Arizona Fall League
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:52:15 pm »
Per Levine, the following Astros bus riders will be participating in the Arizona Fall League: LINK

RHP Sergio Perez
RHP Kyle Greenwalt
RHP Matt Nevarez
LHP Patrick Urckfitz
1B Koby Clemens
OF J.B. Shuck
OF Jay Austin
OF Brandon Barnes

Changes from original roster: Jay Austin and Brandon Barnes were added and T.J. Steele was subtracted

Arizona Fall League action begins October 12
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Fall League
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:56 am »
well that sucks....i imagine that means Steele is still injured.   

This isn't Perez' first rodeo at the AFL - doesn't the org usually only send a player once to the AFL?   Personal Speculation:  will they use Perez as a reliever?   IIRC when he was drafted a lot of projections i read had him pegged as a reliever at the major league level
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

chuckd

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »
Does anyone know how our players are doing? thxs

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:39:45 pm »
Jay Austin is getting an ass kicking.  Other than that, you can check out the Astros player stats by clicking on their names at the Peoria Javelinas team website. LINK
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:50:00 am »
Jay Austin is getting an ass kicking.  Other than that, you can check out the Astros player stats by clicking on their names at the Peoria Javelinas team website. LINK

On a positive note, Austin's walk rate is much higher than usual, 7 in 12 games (though he does have 9 K's).  Perhaps he's been asked to practice working the count.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:45:32 pm »
Jay Austin has a 4 game hitting streak and has raised his average from .100 to .156.  

Brandon Barnes was a double shy of the cycle on Friday and then hit his second homer on Monday.  He also fanned 3 times on Monday to give him 9 in 10 games.

Urckfitz having a good fall and was been selected for the Rising Stars game on Saturday.

All astros connected winter ball stats can be found on this handy dandy mlb page.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:47:44 pm by Duman »
Always ready to go to a game.

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 12:31:28 am »
Speaking of AFL, I'm in Tempe until Thursday morning.  Where and how do I catch a game?  Please pardon my ignorance.  My trip here was pure luck.  But I'd love to catch some baseball if possible.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:17:09 am »
Speaking of AFL, I'm in Tempe until Thursday morning.  Where and how do I catch a game?  Please pardon my ignorance.  My trip here was pure luck.  But I'd love to catch some baseball if possible.

There are 3 games today.  All start at 12:35, the closest one to you is in Phoenix. Tix are $6

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:46:44 pm »
Jay Austin has a 4 game hitting streak and has raised his average from .100 to .156.  

Brandon Barnes was a double shy of the cycle on Friday and then hit his second homer on Monday.  He also fanned 3 times on Monday to give him 9 in 10 games.

Urckfitz having a good fall and was been selected for the Rising Stars game on Saturday.

All astros connected winter ball stats can be found on this handy dandy mlb page.
Looks like Greenwalt is also off to a nice start. Thanks for the link.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:42:30 pm »
There are 3 games today.  All start at 12:35, the closest one to you is in Phoenix. Tix are $6

I just got out of my client meetings.  Oh well.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Crissy

• Clark
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Fall League- Manzella
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »
I read on twitter that Tommy Manzella was sent home a couple of days ago. This spanish reporter said that he had lost 16 pounds and had Bronchitis. Has anyone heard anything to confirm this?

http://twitter.com/LuichySanchez

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Fall League- Manzella
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »
I read on twitter that Tommy Manzella was sent home a couple of days ago. This spanish reporter said that he had lost 16 pounds and had Bronchitis. Has anyone heard anything to confirm this?

http://twitter.com/LuichySanchez

I had not heard this, I had just heard about poor performance.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »
I had not heard this, I had just heard about poor performance.

From Google's translation: The manager of the Eagles, Tony Pena, has not announced who will replace him, although he has four candidates: Christ of the Cross, Elian Herrera and Omar Luna and the first pick of the draw rookie Jonathan Villar.

Would be interesting to see how one of the Astros' top low-level prospects fills in for their starting SS. Of course, I don't think anyone's gonna take the job from Christ of the Cross. I've heard that guy's pretty slick in the field.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 02:32:05 pm »
From Google's translation: The manager of the Eagles, Tony Pena, has not announced who will replace him, although he has four candidates: Christ of the Cross, Elian Herrera and Omar Luna and the first pick of the draw rookie Jonathan Villar.

Would be interesting to see how one of the Astros' top low-level prospects fills in for their starting SS. Of course, I don't think anyone's gonna take the job from Christ of the Cross. I've heard that guy's pretty slick in the field.
But do you think he can hit the curveball?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 08:36:45 pm »
Villar is off to a 3K in 3AB start.  So I would guess he isn't going to see much time as Manzellas replacement.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:11 am »
Kyle Greenwalt is starting the AFL Championship game today for the Javelinas.  The game will be televised on MLB Network beginning 3:08 ET.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »
Thanks for the tip.

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 11:46:34 am »
did anybody watch the game/see Greenwalt pitch?
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »
I did. Throws a 92 mph fastball with decent movement and pretty solid command. No one really squared up on it. He breaking ball is real bad and his change is worse.

I suppose if he developed some secondary pitches, he'd be a prospect, but he's had three years or so already, so the probability seems low.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »
I did. Throws a 92 mph fastball with decent movement and pretty solid command
So... you're saying he's kinda like Mariano Rivera, right?