Author Topic: Jack3d  (Read 3883 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Jack3d
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »
Baseball America has an article up about the recent run of drug suspensions for the stimulant Methylhexaneamine.  The culprit: OTC supplement Jack3d. LINK

Prior to July 28, no players had violated minor league baseball’s drug program by testing positive for the stimulant Methylhexaneamine.  Little more than two weeks later, eight minor leaguers from four levels of the minors had tested positive for the drug and received 50-game suspensions.  *** According to Major League Baseball spokesman Patrick Courtney, the supplement at the root of a number of these positive tests is “Jack3d”, a supplement made by USP Labs that can be bought over the counter. *** On its Website, one of the three major ingredients of “Jack3d” is 1,3-dimethylamylamine. It is essentially the same substance as Methylhexaneamine, but the name change was enough to throw off Athletics outfielder Zach Hurley during his research of the supplement.***

In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Jack3d
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:02:52 pm »
during his research of the supplement

Aren't they given a resource to go to for validation?  He shouldn't have been doing research in the first place.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »
Aren't they given a resource to go to for validation?  He shouldn't have been doing research in the first place.

If the league has the power to suspend these guys, then they ought also to have the responsibility of providing them with a web site/hot line where they can get definitive answers about any particular substance.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:35 pm »

Last sentence of the article answers your question:

“Just because a product is purchased at a reputable store or does not list a prohibited substance on its label does not mean it is safe,” he said, “and if they choose to use supplements they should only use supplements that are NSF Certified for Sport.”

Always ready to go to a game.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »
If the league has the power to suspend these guys, then they ought also to have the responsibility of providing them with a web site/hot line where they can get definitive answers about any particular substance.

There is a lot of info/resources out there. Among the problems though is that the lists change, and manufacturers 'adapt.'  The maker of Jack3d doesn't list methylhexanamine as a substance, rather lists it by its more technical name, "1,3-dimethylamylamine."

After the recent rash of positives for methylhexanamine MiLB has sent a warning to clubs about Jack3d. Unfortunately a tad late for 8 or so of the kids. 

Will Carrol (I know, but still) and Maury Brown have both written decent article on methylhexanamine and/or resources/policies, and are worth a look if you're interested in the subject. 

Carroll LINK; Brown LINK.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Noe

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »
Any product that uses numbers in the name should automatically be considered suspect... nay... banned because of the stupidity of it.  It's the principle of the matter that supercedes everything else.  It is almost like seeing one of your players go into a Mall store that is trend aware and sells niche products to 14 year old kids.  First time the player walks out of said store with a bag full of mechandise is the first time I have them tested for everything possible.

Including IQ.

Andyzipp

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:43:55 pm »
What does methylhexanamine do in the way of performance enhancing?

SHRM doesn't have it on the list of banned substances, and I'm looking for an edge with Open Enrollment coming up.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:54:52 pm »
What does methylhexanamine do in the way of performance enhancing?

SHRM doesn't have it on the list of banned substances, and I'm looking for an edge with Open Enrollment coming up.

“All stimulants are similar and this one is no different in that it makes you feel like you have had 10 cups of coffee, depending on the dosage,” Catlin said. ”

Sounds like fun to me.
Always ready to go to a game.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »
Sounds like fun to me.

Should be just the ticket for the SnS FF draft.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy