Author Topic: Indy 500  (Read 942 times)

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
Indy 500
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:21:16 pm »
Are you kidding me?!  Indy cars now have a button on the steering wheel that they can push for 20 extra horsepower for 15 seconds.  They can use it 15 times and have to wait 10 seconds after use before pushing it again.  Life imitating video games...
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Indy 500
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:00:25 am »
Are you kidding me?!  Indy cars now have a button on the steering wheel that they can push for 20 extra horsepower for 15 seconds.  They can use it 15 times and have to wait 10 seconds after use before pushing it again.  Life imitating video games...

F1 had something similar to that last year, and abandoned it.  The idea was that it would increase overtaking, but the drivers tended to use it defensively.  They'd wait for the attempted pass, then hit the button.  It was a waste of time.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:14:38 am »
It was a waste of time.

Tell me about it.

Oh, you meant the button.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:17:13 pm »
the drivers tended to use it defensively.  They'd wait for the attempted pass, then hit the button.  It was a waste of time.

that sounds terrible.  IRL must really be desperate

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:10:57 am »
that sounds terrible.  IRL must really be desperate

The only thing interesting about the F1 technology was that it was a Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), which turned F1 cars into sort of a hybrid.  And, occasionally, it would electrocute the driver if he grounded himself while trying to get out of the car.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.