Author Topic: gammons has something to say  (Read 2499 times)

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
gammons has something to say
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:27:00 pm »
Apparently, Drayton is a cheap bastard.

In Houston, Astros fans must realize that owner Drayton McLane cares more about Selig's favor than his fans. He forces his scouting people to adhere to "slot." Hence, in 2005, they were not allowed to draft Michael Bowden or go $30,000 above slot for Josh Lindblom, and today Bowden and Lindblom would be Houston's Nos. 3-4 starters. No wonder the Astros are such a dysfunctional team.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Noe

Re: gammons has something to say
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:20 pm »
Apparently, Drayton is a cheap bastard.

2005?  Wow, that is going way back.  McLane was riding roughshod over Purpura, something he could not do with Hunsicker.  In short, when he displaced Hunsicker, McLane swung the pendulum way to the other side with his GM and got too involved.  Last year though, he got out of the way because the things he screwed up during the Purpura tenure ultimately cost him *more* money in terms of having to spend for high priced veterans (or face the very real possibility of not fielding a good team for a good long while).

So cheap isn't the word you were looking for.  Ignorant on how to spend money wisely in the MLB?  Yeah, maybe.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:27:41 am »
If I recall correctly, wasn't the constant clashing of heads with McLane one of the reasons cited for the Hun's departure?

Regarding Whitey's column, I took the passage as a swipe at Houston's recent draft history based on a modicum of facts.  I don't know the specifics of what happened with Bowden and Lindblom.  For that, I'll defer to either Jacksonian or Duman (or anyone else with contacts in the organization).  Just damn frustrating to see this type of myth circulated once again in the national media (i.e. the Astros acquiesce to the commissioner's office when it comes to paying draft picks - Troy Patton be damned).  Thought for sure Whitey would mention Derek Dietrich as People's Exhibit B.  Maybe I'll just wait for Justice to regurgitate that bit.

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:25:57 am »
If I recall correctly, wasn't the constant clashing of heads with McLane one of the reasons cited for the Hun's departure?

Regarding Whitey's column, I took the passage as a swipe at Houston's recent draft history based on a modicum of facts.  I don't know the specifics of what happened with Bowden and Lindblom.  For that, I'll defer to either Jacksonian or Duman (or anyone else with contacts in the organization).  Just damn frustrating to see this type of myth circulated once again in the national media (i.e. the Astros acquiesce to the commissioner's office when it comes to paying draft picks - Troy Patton be damned).  Thought for sure Whitey would mention Derek Dietrich as People's Exhibit B.  Maybe I'll just wait for Justice to regurgitate that bit.

There are a few several "favors" to bud.

1. Cooper
2. Playing last year in Chicago South without throwing a hissy fit.
3. Slot money has been a problem is several drafts.  Drew Stubbs comes to mind.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:32:05 am »
Recent history seems to show a new way of doing things.  Ross Seaton was drafted in the 3rd round (supplemental).  He was signed for $700K + another 250K college scholarship plan.  This is well above slot.  Top of 2nd round kind of money.
Always ready to go to a game.

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:00 am »
Recent history seems to show a new way of doing things.  Ross Seaton was drafted in the 3rd round (supplemental).  He was signed for $700K + another 250K college scholarship plan.  This is well above slot.  Top of 2nd round kind of money.

Thank God.  Maybe that is the GM's influence.  Or maybe Drayton felt his buddy owed him one.

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:05:11 am »

Whitey's cherry picking.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:57:08 am »
I was really hopeful when I saw this thread title.  It used to be that Gammons had a lot to say, much of it quite worthwhile.  Alas, his analysis skills (sic) are currently on a par with Milo's broadcasting skills (sick).  In fact, he again demonstrates that he has nothing to say.
Up in the Air

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:27:27 pm »

If that trend continues, and I think it will with Heck's emphasis on best player available, I really believe the farm system is going to start producing some very special players soon.

Man, I'm getting excited about the upcoming draft.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »
I was really hopeful when I saw this thread title.  It used to be that Gammons had a lot to say, much of it quite worthwhile.  Alas, his analysis skills (sic) are currently on a par with Milo's broadcasting skills (sick).  In fact, he again demonstrates that he has nothing to say.

Unfortunately, I think those days are long gone.  Unless, of course, you're interested in the Red Sox.  Gammons is always willing to talk about them.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:31:16 pm »
Whitey's cherry picking.

Very much agreed.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »
Agree totally.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 08:06:45 pm »
Fuck Whitey. He's an idiot.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius