Author Topic: SAD, SHOCKING NEWS  (Read 15870 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
SAD, SHOCKING NEWS
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:39:39 pm »
Friends and fellow TZers

Michael Baker (Mihoba), our dear friend and colleague, died last evening of a massive heart attack. Dale Jones (Wild Dog) called me at noon with the news. he has been in touch with Michael's wife and will share the details he has with any of you. he asked me to ask you to PM him if you are interested. he will watch for them.

i had a closer relationship with Michael than with the ordinary poster. some of you did also. i met him and visited with him several times in Austin and in Houston over the years, and we had an email relationship as well. Dale is very, very close to him. although Michael is 10+ years younger than i, we were of the same generation in our outlook as fans. he was a great guy and a tremendous asset to this site and to AC and OWA. he had many friends in the TZ, and i know we all will miss him immensely.

prayers for Michael and for his family.

Jim
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

remy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: SAD, SHOCKING NEWS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:26 pm »
Terrible news.  Prayers for his friends and family.  He will be missed.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:53:19 pm »
I only knew Mike online, but knew him to be a tremendously kind and decent person. I will truly miss him. My family and I offer our prayers and condolences to his family. This a very sad day.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 03:00:53 pm »
I too, only knew Mike through the board here and many PMs but I always felt I was chatting with a friend. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 03:08:14 pm »
Oh my.  How awful.  He will be sorely missed by many.  For years now, everytime I would hear a great piece of baseball trivia, I always at some point wondered if he knew it.  And I always figured he did.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:11:22 pm »
this is the worst news.  michael was a great guy.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:20:53 pm »
Wow. What terrible, terrible news. I only new "mihoba" not Michael Baker, but he seemed like a great guy and was a great contributor to this site. He will be truly missed as a poster and as a person.

My condolences go out to his family.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:23:42 pm »
Wow. I was fortunate enough to meet him. He was a great one... The world was blessed to have him.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 03:25:13 pm »
My prayers for his family and him. 
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:32:35 pm »
Wow. He and I grew up in the same western Colorado town, although at different times, and I was looking forward to meeting him in person and sharing stories. This is very sad.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 03:33:42 pm »
Friends and fellow TZers

Michael Baker (Mihoba), our dear friend and colleague, died last evening of a massive heart attack. Dale Jones (Wild Dog) called me at noon with the news. he has been in touch with Michael's wife and will share the details he has with any of you. he asked me to ask you to PM him if you are interested. he will watch for them.

i had a closer relationship with Michael than with the ordinary poster. some of you did also. i met him and visited with him several times in Austin and in Houston over the years, and we had an email relationship as well. Dale is very, very close to him. although Michael is 10+ years younger than i, we were of the same generation in our outlook as fans. he was a great guy and a tremendous asset to this site and to AC and OWA. he had many friends in the TZ, and i know we all will miss him immensely.

prayers for Michael and for his family.

Jim

I'm just echoing what everyone else has said.  I only knew him online, but he was quick with the trivia and always seemed like a good guy.  Sad to see him go, I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
Grab another Coke and let's die

gleach

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • Allison's Page
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:39:23 pm »
Michael was a great guy.  I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and he was a great fan, but an even better person. He will be missed.
I love Geoff Leach.  Every day. 

Don

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 03:39:38 pm »
I met mihoba at the softball games, and enjoyed (??) getting battered in his fantasy league. Very friendly, easy going person who always contributed intelligent insight.

A big loss to this community, but even more to his family.

My thoughts and condolences are with them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:43:30 pm by Don »
To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:43:14 pm »
I met Michael a couple of times, including some pretty sweet seats down behind the Diamond Club boxes, back in the first year of Enron Field. Got to help his son learn how to keep score, too. A tremendous loss down here on Earth. We're all better for having known him, no matter the venue or format. My prayers are with his family.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 03:55:01 pm »
sad news.  Life is short, so appreciate the friends and loved ones you have and tell them what they mean to you.
Purity of Essence

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:15 pm »
I have nothing to add but ditto to all that has been said and condoloances
forever is composed entirely of nows

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:34 pm »
Wow. That is very sad news. I don't know what to say, only knowing him from this forum, except he was a wonderful, easy going, funny, and friendly guy, and a great Astro fan, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I raise my glass to Mihoba tonight.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 04:08:28 pm »
So very sad. My prayers and condolences to his loved ones.

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 04:11:07 pm »
That is horrible news.

I will be praying for his family and loved ones.

strosrays

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:37 pm »

A terrible loss, all the way around.  I am so sorry to hear this.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »
My prayers are with his family.
Lighten up, Francis.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 04:22:38 pm »
I appreciated Mihoba quite a bit and am saddened to hear this.  His loved ones will be in my prayers. 
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 04:33:29 pm »
I can't claim to have known him very well at all, but my heartfelt condolences go out to all his family and friends.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 04:36:46 pm »
This is sad and shocking news, indeed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Michael in person but I always appreciated what he brought to the board. He was a TZ heavyweight. I will miss his presence here.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

Mihoba: ignored by 0, loved by all.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:24 pm »
Thoughts and prayers.  What sad news.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

allison

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 04:48:03 pm »
My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He was there at that wonderful softball game where I first met my husband and I still have the sweetest pm he sent us both from earlier this summer. He was a true class act.
You tell me another gang in New York that has its own dental plan.

TheWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 05:11:45 pm »
I didn't know him personally.. but that is sad news.  Prayers to his friends and family.
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 05:15:48 pm »
A terrible loss, all the way around.  I am so sorry to hear this.
This is very sad news indeed and a great loss for the SnS community.  My prayers and condolences are with his family and all that chose to call him friend, whether in person or virtually.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:22 pm »
Will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 06:04:22 pm »
Mihoba: ignored by 0, loved by all.

epitath, tz-style

Wild Dog

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 06:50:11 pm »
Michael was one of my dearest friends on this planet.  We were very close, due entirely to this site in the early days when it was born.  It was the trivia that brought us together.  Most of you don't know me as I rarely post anymore, but in the old days we had a running trivia thing going.  If Mike didn't know one the answer to one of my questions, he had an educated guess.  And he was very, very good.

Mike was 47 years old (when Jim and I talked, I was thinking he was a little older) and in great shape.  Heart attacks can happen to anyone, I know what I'm talking about.  His wife Debra said that last night he was getting worried about some indigestion he was having.  He told her that he was scared.  She called an ambulance and they got him to the nearest hospital.  The doctors were able to bring him back once but in the end they were unable to save him.  He died last night.

Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2:00 and I wished I had more details but I don't right now.  I will be talking to her in a day or so.  His favorite charity has something to do with autism (his step-daughter is autastic) and I will get all that info out for you guys.  Jim suggested donating money to a charity of his instead of sending flowers...a very fine idea.  If anyone wants to to contact Debra just shoot me a pm and I'll provide a phone number.

She did tell me that Mike would be buried in his favorite Astros jersey and baseball cap.

Amy

• #1 Bidge Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 06:53:58 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that.  I didn't know him well, but he seemed like a great guy and I had hoped to meet him one day.  He will be missed.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:37 pm »
I, too only knew him via the board, but I really enjoyed his posts and the discussions we had in topics.   He will be missed, and my prayers go out to his loved ones.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:00:40 pm by DVauthrin »
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 07:05:43 pm »
Comfort and prayers to Mihoba's family and friends.

Thank you, Jim/Dale, for letting us all know.  His presence in this forum will most certainly be missed by all.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:09:14 pm by astrojo »

otterjb

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 07:49:16 pm »
My first thought after reading that was, what the fuck. I just teared up a bit and I never knew the guy, just seems like I know him a little from the years of reading this site. Life is fucking short. Do what you really want to do and do it soon. About the only thing I could take out of something like that. I'd be interested in donating to something in his name. RIP Mihoba.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »
I found out about this 4 hours ago when Jim R was kind enough to email me about the news and I've been trying to digest it since.   

Despite not being a "close" personal friend with Mike, I have not taken this particularly well.   

Most of you know me.  I've been on and off this board for over a decade now.   A number of us have been here for a very long time.   Jim.  Me.  Noe.   Baker. 

For years, Baker meant Sunday morning trivia.   He meant that one last poster who was up at 3am, on AIM, willing to sit up chatting while I had late night duty with my (at the time) new born child.    We'd talk fishing.  We'd talk Texas.   We'd talk beer.   We'd talk baseball.   You know; the important things.  And he was an expert on all of them.

Baker knew his baseball.  A trivia savant.   Wild Dog can attest to this.

Baker knew his Texas.   "Where's the best place to go get a fat burger and a cold beer in some specific small town in the middle of the state?  Hey, I know, let's ask Baker.  He'll know."   And he always did.

Baker knew how to live.   The man always seemed to have his shit straight, in a way that seemed impossible to most.   He loved his wife, he loved his family, he loved his home, his friends, his job, his ballclub, and this forum. 

When I came here looking for news on my house back in Houston after Hurricane Ike, he was the first guy to PM me.  Not just with wellwishes, but with news.   

When I needed a pal back in 2002 at 3am, he was always there.   Didn't matter what I wanted to talk about; no matter how deep or how silly, the man was available.

In 10 years, I can honestly say I've never heard one poster on the TZ have anything negative to say about Mike Baker.  Seriously.  The guy was on everyone's short list of reliable, funny, insightful, solid posters.   But it wasn't just that.  He was a solid person.   A stand up guy who you can look at and say "now THAT guy....THAT guy had it right."   At some point in your life, no matter who you are, you wish you could have been as content as Baker was. 

Mr. Baker, you were a good friend to all.   A good husband.   A great man.   You will be sorely missed, and that's the truth.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying this because it's the sort of thing people say after the passing of a friend, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying this for selfish reasons (because I'm not).  And I don't want anyone to think I'm saying this because it's cliche.   I say this because, after 10 years, I can honestly say "Michael would have wanted it this way."   Don't sit around tonight, feeling sorry for yourself.   Get a beer.   Raise it high.   And remember "mihoba".  Because, and I feel confident saying this, it's how the man would want to be remembered.

I miss you already, buddy.   Mihoba (not online) on my instant messenger will never mean the same again.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:07 pm »
I'm broken up about this. And I never even met Michael, but I knew him just the same. He was a gentleman who was both witty and very knowledgable about the game we love. When I was on the verge of a meltdown on the TZ back in the 90's (when I was still drinking), it was a PM from mihoba that calmed me down. I truly loved and still miss the trivia battles between mihoba and wild dog on sunday mornings. It was can't miss internet.

For well over a decade, I've been coming here to the TZ at its various addresses. I have not met anyone but a former TZ'er. But there are lots of people in here who I really like and admire. Michael Baker was one of them.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

cougar

• I dare you
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 10:15:52 pm »
Horrible horrible news.  Like many others, I never had a chance to meet the man anywhere but here, but in all my years in the various incarnations of the board (I'm not an original, but I feel like it), mihoba was one of those posters I knew would have something witty, insightful, and/or intelligent to say, no matter what the topic.  His Sunday morning trivia was always a highlight of my weekend, even when I never had a clue what he was talking about.  And as far as I knew he never had anything mean to say about anyone on the board.  My deepest sympathies to his family, and I move we waive the 5 year retirement rule and put mihoba in the HOF as soon as possible.  If he's already in there, build him an entire wing.

I'm going to go get the last Shiner out of my fridge and drink it in memoriam.  God speed, mihoba.  The world is less fun without you on it.

Noe

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 11:13:21 pm »
I'm in shock right now.  I can't really do Michael justice with my words.  All I can say is that I am very sad right now and even though he probably would tell me to buck up, I can't help it... I'm really sadden by this news.

Dale, please tell Debra that we are so sorry about the news and our prayers will be with her and Michael's family.

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 01:33:07 am »
Wow. I talked to Michael a couple of times right after Katrina and he was telling me about working at a reservoir around the Lake Charles area. One thing I could tell just by trading pm's with him was that he was not a put on. He was a genuine nice guy. It just don't seem fair. It certainly brings things into perspective.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

strosrays

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 08:18:46 am »
I found out about this 4 hours ago when Jim R was kind enough to email me about the news and I've been trying to digest it since.   

Despite not being a "close" personal friend with Mike, I have not taken this particularly well.   

Most of you know me.  I've been on and off this board for over a decade now.   A number of us have been here for a very long time.   Jim.  Me.  Noe.   Baker. 

For years, Baker meant Sunday morning trivia.   He meant that one last poster who was up at 3am, on AIM, willing to sit up chatting while I had late night duty with my (at the time) new born child.    We'd talk fishing.  We'd talk Texas.   We'd talk beer.   We'd talk baseball.   You know; the important things.  And he was an expert on all of them.

Baker knew his baseball.  A trivia savant.   Wild Dog can attest to this.

Baker knew his Texas.   "Where's the best place to go get a fat burger and a cold beer in some specific small town in the middle of the state?  Hey, I know, let's ask Baker.  He'll know."   And he always did.

Baker knew how to live.   The man always seemed to have his shit straight, in a way that seemed impossible to most.   He loved his wife, he loved his family, he loved his home, his friends, his job, his ballclub, and this forum. 

When I came here looking for news on my house back in Houston after Hurricane Ike, he was the first guy to PM me.  Not just with wellwishes, but with news.   

When I needed a pal back in 2002 at 3am, he was always there.   Didn't matter what I wanted to talk about; no matter how deep or how silly, the man was available.

In 10 years, I can honestly say I've never heard one poster on the TZ have anything negative to say about Mike Baker.  Seriously.  The guy was on everyone's short list of reliable, funny, insightful, solid posters.   But it wasn't just that.  He was a solid person.   A stand up guy who you can look at and say "now THAT guy....THAT guy had it right."   At some point in your life, no matter who you are, you wish you could have been as content as Baker was. 

Mr. Baker, you were a good friend to all.   A good husband.   A great man.   You will be sorely missed, and that's the truth.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying this because it's the sort of thing people say after the passing of a friend, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying this for selfish reasons (because I'm not).  And I don't want anyone to think I'm saying this because it's cliche.   I say this because, after 10 years, I can honestly say "Michael would have wanted it this way."   Don't sit around tonight, feeling sorry for yourself.   Get a beer.   Raise it high.   And remember "mihoba".  Because, and I feel confident saying this, it's how the man would want to be remembered.

I miss you already, buddy.   Mihoba (not online) on my instant messenger will never mean the same again.

Thank you for posting this.

My own last post, whenever it is, will probably be about something vacuous. . . wine, women and song, how much Hunter Pence pisses me off sometimes, like that.  I was thinking this morning that in one of the last exchanges I had with Michael in this forum, he posted something about how much he loved and was proud of his 25-year-old daughter.

Damn them good people, being good all the time, and all.

Michael died of a bad heart, apparently.  It occurs to me this is somewhat, well, (the "I" word); because from what I know and everything I have seen here, the man was in fact in possession of a very, very good one.

Kevin

• Contributor
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 11:19:56 am »
I got to meet Mike a couple of times in Houston back when the crew would organize just enough for a game outing or a beer and queso binge, and of course many many online discussions over the years. This is a big blow, and my prayers go out to his family and friends.

It can't be overstated that he was of the true good guys. It didn't take long at all to realize that about him. Level headed, funny, decent, a pillar of this particular whacked out community, and good lord a clearinghouse of useless baseball knowledge. He was ubiquitous on this forum going back years, and a real friend to many who have dwelled here. Join me in pouring one out for him.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 11:20:06 am »
I only met Mike a few times at TZ events, but from those times and from his posts here, it was clear that he was a genuine, honest, hard-working man.    He will be missed by many, and our little corner of the world will be a lesser place for his absence.

My condolences to family and friends.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 11:42:15 am »
What a terrible loss; he was really one of the good guys. I'm glad I got to meet him on Opening Day 2006 and put a face to the screen name.

He was a great guy and a great Astros fan, and I'm honored to have known him.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 12:07:36 pm »
Eloquent, Zach. Thank you for your post.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2008, 12:30:59 pm »
Eloquent, Zach. Thank you for your post.

I certainly don't want this thread to be about me.  Appreciated and noted; but this thread is for Baker.

Damn.   I'm still in shock.

TheWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2008, 12:48:25 pm »
I feel bad for mihoba's family and friends, even though I didn't know him other than his TZ persona.   He seemed like a great guy, judging from his posts and what he had to say.  I see death frequently in my job, so I have an idea about how hard it is to go through that, although luckily I'm young enough to have gone through it only a few times personally.

I've only been around here a couple years, if that, so I'm not part of the inner circle.  But despite that, I love this forum because its a mix of great information with great people.  Its not a bunch of lol'ing and internet insults being slung around, it feels more like a real community.  So I feel bad for all of you guys that lost a close friend.  The mood of the forum really reflects how hard some of you are taking it.  I hope that everyone has time to grieve, and even though you never forget the death of a friend.. hopefully he's remembered around here for how great of a friend he was to some, and how respected and well-liked he was in the TZ for the rest of us.
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2008, 02:09:23 pm »
That's horrible to hear. I enjoyed his posts, and in reading this, it seems a lot of you got to know him as much more than just a poster. "The Void," this offseason, will come to mean something more around here.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2008, 02:28:06 pm »
"The Void," this offseason, will come to mean something more around here.

very well said...

Noe

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2008, 02:39:43 pm »
Thank you Wizard.  It is still a very sad thing.  I woke up this morning and immediately started to cry at the very thought that Michael is no longer with us.  I still can't bring myself to believe it and when I do, it is just not something I want to be true.  I'm familiar with Michael through the many years spent in this community started by Kevin and Scott and faithfully and in the right manner carried on by Hudson and others.

I thought this morning as I shed some tears for a friend (community) that if I feel this badly about the loss, how much more can his immediate family feel the loss.  And that saddened me even more, I can never feel the depth of grief that they feel.  So my grief is now for his family and I want so much to have them know what an honor it was to be associated with Michael in this small circle of life.  I had the privilege of spending time with Melvin and David in Washington last week, my first time meeting David even though we've known each other through this place for many years.  When I stepped into his car to ride over to Melvin's house twenty minutes away, it was as if I was catching up with a longtime friend and not at all as if I was meeting someone for the first time.

I know the experiences of many on social communities on the internet are not pleasant, and some would dare say our community is one of those.  People like Michael speak loudly how wrong and ill informed people are about SnS, OWA and the old BFT.  To honor Michael the best way here is to continue the legacy all of you, me included, have started.  We are a community, a group of people who generally like each other, who can find substance here beyond the trivial, pomposity and me-oriented internet communities that inhabit the web spaces out there.  

While David and I rode together to Melvin's house, the stories we shared, the time we had only put an accent mark on what both of us proclaimed to be the honesty, depth and good community you all have built and have striven to maintain and protect so dearly.  That sort of protective nature we all have for such a valued community is what is generally misunderstood.  As David said to me "People just don't get it".  We both went on to share how real life experiences have been shaped for the better because of the care, the desire, the investments you all have made here.  I'm sure we can all share with each how much good, truly beyond talking baseball and sharing many a laugh or three, this place has done for our individual lives.  Heck, even if it was superficial fun at the expense of a botched play by Hunter Pence, that served a purpose as well.  But we all went beyond that... why?

I don't know exactly.  It is as if we all stepped one toe in the water to see if we had something that was beyond the superficial.  As we built credibility with one another, we built trust.  From that trust came real desires to share when needs arose, and often they did.  Whether it was a need shared about the best places to eat in Chicago or San Francisco, or where one can find a romantic place in San Antonio for that all important first anniversary, to what smart phone to choose, to what one should wear when helping people clean up after Hurricane Katrina, to what one would feed a turtle that was rescued from a small suburban ditch, all of those things happen because community is alive and well.

So it is with sadness that we've loss a dear member of this community built on trust and honesty and integrity... good people reaching out to other good people to help in some small way.  We are not strangers doing good deeds for others on occasion, we are a community shaped by the solid foundation of trust and we would all step in to help or share what we can to make life just that tad much better for others.  There is nothing accidental about that, it is intentional because many of you made it so.  Thank you all.  There is, however, a special place in our hearts for those who give perhaps more than others.  Those we know we can always count on.  Like Michael.

SnS, we lost the best one of them all in that regard.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:59:48 pm by Noe in Austin »

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »
I will be going to Kirbyville tomorrow for the funeral.

Viewing begins at 12:00.  The service is at 2:00 p.m.

If anyone else would like to go, please send me a PM, and I will get you details/directions.

I will extend to his wife and family the condolences of all on this board. 
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2008, 07:53:48 am »

This news is very sad to me.  It really puts ones own life struggles into perspective.  Mihoba, sir you will be greatly missed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:57:46 am by Astroholic »

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2008, 09:52:52 am »
Thanks, Noe. That's an awesome tribute, not only to Mike, but to the posters on this site, as well.

As Noe said, last week, I had himself and Dave (das) at my house for some barbecue ribs and the first game of the World Series. We each met through this site. I met Noe in person at the same softball game in Austin where I met Mike, then at Noe's suggestion, I met Dave once I moved to Baltimore. This place really is a world wide web. During that gathering last week, we talked about our "virtual friends" and how people outside of this type of circle couldn't possibly understand, so they ridicule instead. When we learned we had lost one of our own, our sorrow was no less real than if we lost a true biological family member. Online or in person, we have connected around common themes and that is the fullest definition of a community.

I certainly didn't know Mike as well as some here did, but we had a few email exchanges away from the board and I enjoyed his friendliness and knowledge. Last night when I read here about his passing, I went to my PM archive and realized the last message I received from anyone on this site was from Mike.

May God be with Mike's family and may they find some comfort in knowing that Mike brought some joy to other people's lives.

Melvin
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2008, 10:42:28 am »
I have never felt sick to my stomach over the passing of someone I never met, until now.  My deepest condolences to his family.

Russe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2008, 12:08:48 pm »
RIP. My thoughts with with his family, and they have my sincere condolences.

dirty steve

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »
deepest sympathies from my family to Mike's family.  life can be very, very unfair.  i am sure all of our thoughts will be there for the services.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2008, 07:09:41 pm »
After these pages and pages of significant tributes, all I can add are my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed, mihoba.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:13 am »
After these pages and pages of significant tributes, all I can add are my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed, mihoba.

QFT
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 12:49:26 am »
I will miss him dearly.  He was a great guy. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

tbone421998

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 07:14:27 am »
I have nothing to add but ditto to all that has been said and condoloances and prayers to Michael's family.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 09:30:27 am »
Wow.  Just wow.  I never met "mihoba" in real life but did exchange a few emails/PMs and I just want to add dittos to all the comments.   What an incredible loss.  My deepest sympathies to his family.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:29 am »
Horrible news.
All the best to his friends and family..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:40:35 am by The Spleen »
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 09:56:53 am »
Just a little over a week ago the father of a good friend of mine passed away suddenly due to a heart attack. He was only 60 and in great shape. Things like that, and now Michael at only 47, are extremely sad to hear about and make me appreciate my visits with my own parents, like I just had this weekend in NC, that much more.

Condolences to the Baker family; I am not at all surprised by all the testimonials here about what a great guy he was because that was blatantly apparent in just about everything he wrote here. And yes, I feel like this really is a community here at SnS. It's been great getting to know all of you.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
SAD, SHOCKING NEWS
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 11:27:45 am »
I pray for the peaceful repose of his soul and the consolation of his family.
E come vivo? Vivo.

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 11:34:38 am »
I also never met mihoba.  But I always enjoyed his trivia posts and will miss him on this board.   My infant son died this summer, and there is just so much pain.  But there is one hope that helps ... that we will see them again someday.   

RIP mihoba.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:48:10 am by ValpoCory »

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »
Unbelievable.  Just reading this.  Thoughts and prayers. 
RO RASROS!

pravata

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 01:32:43 pm »
We've been through a lot here.  9/11, Katrina, Rita, the Aggie Bonfire collapse, but also birth announcements, graduations, weddings, ... and now this.  Mihoba was one of us, and that extends further than just a lot of talk about baseball.  We've all lost a good friend.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 02:29:23 pm »
Simply unbelievable.  I was fortunate enough to meet Mike a couple of times at the softball games, and sat next to him and his son at one of our OWA game outings.  At those times, and during e-mail communication throughout the years, he was nothing short of a class act.

Rest in peace, Mike.

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=124
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:34:33 pm by Waldo »

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 02:29:54 pm »
Never got to meet Mike, but this thread speaks volumes about a person. RIP.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 02:33:35 pm »
I was never lucky enough to meet Mihoba but did PM/IM with him from time to time.  My connection with Mihoba was mainly through Fantasy baseball (SnS Fantasy Baseball War).  We used to PM/IM about trades, the state of the league, and who we thought had the best draft, etc.  I love that league and he was one of the main reasons why.  I've typed and deleted, typed and deleted.  I apologize, but my literary skills are not at a level that I feel comfortable going on any further.  That said, I have a tiny suggestion prior to me closing this post:  Might it be possible to rename the Fantasy Baseball Forum to include Mihoba's name?  

My sincerest apologies to his family.  

RIP Mihoba

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2008, 02:38:43 pm »
Mike was a helluva nice guy, and one of my favorite posters on the TZ. He was witty, smart, VERY baseball knowledgable, and a pleasure to be around.

Rest in Peace, Mike. I'm sure you're cracking up posters on the Big TZ in the sky right now.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2008, 08:34:15 pm »
Michael was one of my dearest friends on this planet.  We were very close, due entirely to this site in the early days when it was born.  It was the trivia that brought us together.  Most of you don't know me as I rarely post anymore, but in the old days we had a running trivia thing going.  If Mike didn't know one the answer to one of my questions, he had an educated guess.  And he was very, very good.

Mike was 47 years old (when Jim and I talked, I was thinking he was a little older) and in great shape.  Heart attacks can happen to anyone, I know what I'm talking about.  His wife Debra said that last night he was getting worried about some indigestion he was having.  He told her that he was scared.  She called an ambulance and they got him to the nearest hospital.  The doctors were able to bring him back once but in the end they were unable to save him.  He died last night.

Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2:00 and I wished I had more details but I don't right now.  I will be talking to her in a day or so.  His favorite charity has something to do with autism (his step-daughter is autastic) and I will get all that info out for you guys.  Jim suggested donating money to a charity of his instead of sending flowers...a very fine idea.  If anyone wants to to contact Debra just shoot me a pm and I'll provide a phone number.

She did tell me that Mike would be buried in his favorite Astros jersey and baseball cap.

This is so sad and I can't really add anything to the outpouring here.  I met Michael on this site years ago and played fantasy baseball with him for years.  Many baseball conversations -always informed, interesting, never rude or a jerk.  We were supposed to meet for the first time this summer.  I regret very much it didn't happen.  This board is proof of how well he was thought of.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »
Very sad indeed.  I was lucky enough to have met Michael once a loooong time ago, and really enjoyed our online conversations here, and the one-upmanship with him in Sunday morning trivia.  I've slowed down on my posting, but I still hover around looking for a good read.  There are a handful of the "old guard" that are still heavy contributors to the content on this page (some newbies too), and mihoba was one that always caught my eye as I scrolled through.  He will be missed.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2008, 10:20:17 am »
WOW!

My prayers and thoughts are with his family during this time.

Most of us have a limited relationship with each other through this forum, but they are a part of our lives, and especially those as active and engaging as Michael was, he will be missed.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2008, 04:44:10 pm »
We will miss you.  May the Peace of God which passes all understanding comfort you and yours.
Up in the Air

Amber

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 07:48:52 pm »
I'm Mike's stepdaughter - here in Kirbyville from Los Angeles for the past week for the funeral.

Your posts have been so great to read and very sweet.  I'll pass all the kind thoughts and condolences to my mother.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 08:18:04 pm »
Amber--please check your private messages.  Thank you.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Wild Dog

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
Amber--please check your private messages.  Thank you.

Yes, please.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2008, 08:42:21 pm »
Many of you have asked about Mike's favorite charity. It was the Autism Research Institute.  Donations can be made in memory of Micheal Howard Baker.

roc

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 06:34:23 pm »
Very seldom poster...loooooooong time reader (from the days of the AC, Hetero Doxy's rants to give you guys an idea) and I gotta tell you, as fun as it was/is reading all the posts, rants, slams, and the all too common but never overused WFW, I will admit that Sunday Morning Trivia was the one staple I grew most fond of. Could never guess the answer, but SMT could lightened the mood amongst even the vilest disputes. All arguments would be put on hold while SMT was in session.

You spend almost 10 years reading posts from people and you can't help to formulate opinions about what they are like. I've never met any of you in person, as I live in another state, but from Pravata, Noe, Limey, Kevin (who shows his face every now and then), Alkie, Jim, Andyzipp, among many, many others, you sort of put together an image of who they are, what they are about, and I got to tell you, I don't ever remember Mihoba being anything but nice to all who dared stepped into the AC, OW, SnS world. My description of the man? Class act. Plain and simple.

I've always considered the TZ my little clan of Astros degenerates who, after reading their posts, would give me the ammunition needed to answer to all the dimwits who ask me "Why you follow the Astros?" around these part of the country as intelligently as I can without going all JimR on their asses. And as such, can't feel but saddened that this group I've called my "accomplices" currently stands minus one.

I will go home tonight an kiss my wife and newborn baby (whom I tried to name after the Astros, but which suggestion was beaten senseless out of me) and remind myself that at any moment, what we call our own can end at any moment, even to the best of us.

Mihoba...may you rest in peace.

PS - Way back in the day Mihoba used a different name....I think it started with an M or a W but I could be wrong....anybody remember?

Wild Dog

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »
PS - Way back in the day Mihoba used a different name....I think it started with an M or a W but I could be wrong....anybody remember?

He used 2 names (that I remember) before settling on Mihoba.  Funny that you should post the question, I was thinking about dropping in Sunday morning for a little trivia service in Michaels honor and the first question was going to be "Under what other names did Mihoba post?"  If no one gives you the answer, check back Sunday morning.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2008, 08:31:05 pm »
RedMan--His nickname given to him by a high school football buddy was one of them.

Noe

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2008, 11:11:16 pm »
Very seldom poster...loooooooong time reader (from the days of the AC, Hetero Doxy's rants to give you guys an idea) and I gotta tell you, as fun as it was/is reading all the posts, rants, slams, and the all too common but never overused WFW, I will admit that Sunday Morning Trivia was the one staple I grew most fond of. Could never guess the answer, but SMT could lightened the mood amongst even the vilest disputes. All arguments would be put on hold while SMT was in session.

You spend almost 10 years reading posts from people and you can't help to formulate opinions about what they are like. I've never met any of you in person, as I live in another state, but from Pravata, Noe, Limey, Kevin (who shows his face every now and then), Alkie, Jim, Andyzipp, among many, many others, you sort of put together an image of who they are, what they are about, and I got to tell you, I don't ever remember Mihoba being anything but nice to all who dared stepped into the AC, OW, SnS world. My description of the man? Class act. Plain and simple.

I've always considered the TZ my little clan of Astros degenerates who, after reading their posts, would give me the ammunition needed to answer to all the dimwits who ask me "Why you follow the Astros?" around these part of the country as intelligently as I can without going all JimR on their asses. And as such, can't feel but saddened that this group I've called my "accomplices" currently stands minus one.

I will go home tonight an kiss my wife and newborn baby (whom I tried to name after the Astros, but which suggestion was beaten senseless out of me) and remind myself that at any moment, what we call our own can end at any moment, even to the best of us.

I tried to name my first son after Nolan Ryan.  My wife did not like that suggestion at all.  Even when I asked if his middle name was Ryan.  You don't argue with a pregnant woman... they're mean!

BTW - Mihoba changed from MikeB to Michael then to Mihoba.  We had another Mike posting at the time and also MichaelN and another one named MikeS, so Mihoba decided to take his name: Michael Howard Baker and create his screen name.  And the irony is that a testament of how nice he was in here was for a solid two to three years (or so) I would call him "minhoba".  He let me until one day he just flat out asked me if I was doing it on purpose or just plain stupid!  We both got a laugh out of it, even though I didn't have the guts to tell him it was the latter.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2008, 07:01:55 am »
I believe he was Michael when I got here. Too many 'Mikes' and 'Michaels' is why I ended up Ty.

Sunday Morning Trivia in the old threaded format was a blast and easy to follow. I never knew anything but it was fun watching others flail until mihoba set them straight. Wild Dog, I would love to see a version of SMT return, even if it's only occasionally.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2008, 08:44:53 am »

As someone who has been a regular on this site for ten years and an on-line friend of Michael's, this summarizes well I feel.

Wild Dog

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2008, 05:33:20 pm »
I tried to name my first son after Nolan Ryan.  My wife did not like that suggestion at all.  Even when I asked if his middle name was Ryan.  You don't argue with a pregnant woman... they're mean!

I named my son Eryck Wynn Jones, with the Wynn my baseball reference.  Jimmy Wynn was my favorite Astro (.45) growing up.  My wife didn't like the sound of Jose Cruz Jones.  Sounded good to me.

Deja Vu

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2008, 04:18:26 pm »
Michael-

Oh, man, - I regret speaking after rather than before.

You are a man of dignity and grace. You have a large and open mind. You were integral to the core of 20 or so guys who once formed the most amazing chat room in the history of the Internet.

I gather you have a loving family who will carry your legacy here.

Rest,

Clayton
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:19:57 pm by Deja Vu »

Noe

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2008, 04:25:41 pm »
Michael-

You are a man of dignity and grace. You have a large and open mind. You were integral to the core of 20 or so guys who once formed the most amazing chat room in the history of the Internet.

Rest,

Clayton

Nicely done HD.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:11 pm »
Michael-

Rest,

Clayton

eloquent, HD. welcome back.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2008, 04:39:45 pm »
The BFT still holds together...

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2008, 04:48:48 pm »
The BFT still holds together...

i had the pleasure of watching a game with HD in Houston in the Long Ago Times. he is a very good guy and is a dedicated Astros fan. i liked him very much.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:54:22 pm by JimR »

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2008, 04:53:03 pm »
i had the pleasure of watching a game with HD in Houston in the Long Ago Times. he is a very good guy, and a dedicated Astros fan. i liked him very much.

Bushneck lackey.
Purity of Essence

Deja Vu

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2008, 05:58:26 pm »
i had the pleasure of watching a game with HD in Houston in the Long Ago Times. he is a very good guy and is a dedicated Astros fan. i liked him very much.

jim, my youngest son played t-ball this year with the glove omar vizquel signed for me that night.

carry on, guys.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2008, 09:08:52 am »
Very sad news.  Thoughts and condolences to those that knew and loved him.  Based on the tributes, he must have lead a very full and meaningful life.  Hopefully in time, that fact will give a measure of comfort to his family.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2008, 12:51:53 pm »
I have been moved to tears yet again by the eloquent, heartfelt posts from AC, OWA and SnS folks.

It's been great and sobering (an ironic word for those who know me, for those who don't, I'm in recovery) to remember yet again that life is short. Hug those you love, and tell them that you love them.

Michael was a giant of a man. I'm so, so glad that his stepdaughter got to see the well deserved tributes to him. We all loved him and respected him.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2008, 12:42:01 pm »
jim, my youngest son played t-ball this year with the glove omar vizquel signed for me that night.

carry on, guys.

yep, i remember the autograph. enjoy the kid baseball days. they go by WAY too fast.

cuban

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • elrubendelmar.org/
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2008, 11:21:27 pm »
RIP Mike.