Author Topic: Lee (con't)  (Read 3279 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Lee (con't)
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:51:01 am »
i continue to marvel at how good a hitter he is. how many sluggers in recent times would be willing to wait back to drive an 0-2 pitch to the opposite field?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

sporadic

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Lee (con't)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:00:40 pm »
great approach...very few wasted AB's

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:09 pm »
i continue to marvel at how good a hitter he is. how many sluggers in recent times would be willing to wait back to drive an 0-2 pitch to the opposite field?

Tejada maybe?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:02:43 pm »

Tejada maybe?

yes, but he may not be a "slugger" any more. he certainly will go the other way.

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:06:06 pm »
Indeed. Tejada's hitting everything everywhere, Berkman's completely mashing it, and then you get Lee up who's capable of doing whatever's needed to clean it up. That's a terrifying gauntlet for any pitcher.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

pravata

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:09:37 pm »
yes, but he may not be a "slugger" any more. he certainly will go the other way.

and he doesnt wait.  Tejada will pick something high and away to go with to right.  Lee watches the ball longer and drives the pitch with a later swing.  Adrian Gonzalez, lefthanded 1b with the Padres, was talking about this when they were here.  He says he can wait because left field is so short, but at home he can't do that because he'd just be popping out.   Can't drive the ball with the late swing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:15:58 pm »
and he doesnt wait.  Tejada will pick something high and away to go with to right.  Lee watches the ball longer and drives the pitch with a later swing.  Adrian Gonzalez, lefthanded 1b with the Padres, was talking about this when they were here.  He says he can wait because left field is so short, but at home he can't do that because he'd just be popping out.   Can't drive the ball with the late swing.

but he can if he stays back. Noe often makes a correct point when he says guys who let the ball get deeper before they swing can drive it to the opposite field if they wait back properly. an assistant coach i had in '97 would tell the guys to "let it travel." what he meant was to let the ball get deeper before starting the swing. it prevents hooking or rolling over and results in driving the ball up the middle and the other way.

Noe

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 12:18:41 pm »
but he can if he stays back. Noe often makes a correct point when he says guys who let the ball get deeper before they swing can drive it to the opposite field if they wait back properly. an assistant coach i had in '97 would tell the guys to "let it travel." what he meant was to let the ball get deeper before starting the swing. it prevents hooking or rolling over and results in driving the ball up the middle and the other way.

Tony Gwynn was the master of this.  If a young kid like Bourn would love to watch video of a swing that could work for him, he needs to go get some Gwynn videos and watch and learn and then go practice it.

pravata

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:29:41 pm »

"This ballpark helps a lot," said Gonzalez, "You can stay back better and let the ball get deep on you [in the strike zone]. It lets me go the other way."
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080422&content_id=2571687&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

That's in the context of the Padres complaining/commenting on the dimensions of MM.  He's saying that he doesn't do that at home because he wont get results (2 homers) like he did in Houston.   That's where Lee is a better hitter than Gonzalez, for instance, he can stay back and drive the ball the opposite way for hits.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:33:27 pm »
"This ballpark helps a lot," said Gonzalez, "You can stay back better and let the ball get deep on you [in the strike zone]. It lets me go the other way."
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080422&content_id=2571687&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

That's in the context of the Padres complaining/commenting on the dimensions of MM.  He's saying that he doesn't do that at home because he wont get results (2 homers) like he did in Houston.   That's where Lee is a better hitter than Gonzalez, for instance, he can stay back and drive the ball the opposite way for hits.

yes. he may not be satisfied with line drive singles to LF.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:59:36 pm »
However you slice it, Houston has a formidable 3-4-5.  If 1 and 2 begin to deliver, it's no cake walk for pitchers.
Purity of Essence

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 01:11:41 pm »
However you slice it, Houston has a formidable 3-4-5.  If 1 and 2 begin to deliver, it's no cake walk for pitchers.

and as long as opposing pitchers inexplicably continue to throw the occasional fastball to pence, you can add him to that list as well.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:12:09 pm »

I'd add 6 and 7, with Wigginton's return, are putting some added stress on the opposing pitching too.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 01:20:13 pm »
How many true power hitters have the same two strike approach that Lee has?  That's been interesting to watch since he came over last year.

Bourn, Pence, and Wiggington have all been pressing for a large part of the season.  They should all take Tejada's advice and relax.  It would also help Hunter if he had Tejada's ability to recognize and lay off that down and away slider.
Purity of Essence

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 01:20:20 pm »
I'd add 6 and 7, with Wigginton's return, are putting some added stress on the opposing pitching too.

Matsui is not an easy out.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 02:03:47 pm »
Matsui is not an easy out.

He's hitting about as you'd expect given his performance in Colorado.  Hopefully, he can hit a little closer to .300, but I can't complain with how he's doing at the plate.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 02:14:21 pm »
He's hitting about as you'd expect given his performance in Colorado.  Hopefully, he can hit a little closer to .300, but I can't complain with how he's doing at the plate.

Career: .273 / .325 / .388
Last year: .288 / .342 / .405
This year: .284 / .338 / .403

Not sure there's anything above current performance to hope for. Which is just fine, it's a good performance.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Noe

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 02:14:29 pm »

Matsui's game is that of a contact hitter.  For a contact hitter to help a team win at the 2 spot in the lineup, you need someone to get on base so he can either 1) move the runner over, 2) hit and run, 3) drive in the runner if said runner steals a base or 4) get on himself so more traffic can help the next hitters coming up.

Matsui being a rally starter is just not his game as much as it probably should be.  Matsui success will be tempered by how well the leadoff guys does in front of him.  Then he becomes a very dangerous hitter because he can do so many things with the bat control he has.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 02:16:47 pm »
Matsui's game is that of a contact hitter.  For a contact hitter to help a team win at the 2 spot in the lineup, you need someone to get on base so he can either 1) move the runner over, 2) hit and run, 3) drive in the runner if said runner steals a base or 4) get on himself so more traffic can help the next hitters coming up.

Matsui being a rally starter is just not his game as much as it probably should be.  Matsui success will be tempered by how well the leadoff guys does in front of him.  Then he becomes a very dangerous hitter because he can do so many things with the bat control he has.

I like how he goes deep into the count/ fouling off borderline pitches and making the pitcher work.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 02:29:47 pm »

Agreed.  If...errr...when Bourn gets going, Matsui's going to be able to show off his complete skill set.  My comment was toward those who've been saying, just wait until the two top of the order guy's hit.  Matsui's doing all he can at this point.  Looking forward to seeing him show off his full repertoire.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 02:33:56 pm »
well on any given night it seems someone takes up the slack.. (of course berkman has been doing a bit more than that) but its just pure fun to watch
forever is composed entirely of nows

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 02:40:04 pm »
This year: .284 / .338 / .403

If he hits something approaching this all year and plays little ball and the defense he's capable of, then his signing is an overwhelming success.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »
If he hits something approaching this all year and plays little ball and the defense he's capable of, then his signing is an overwhelming success.

Absolutely, yes.
Say hi on the Twitter

sporadic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 03:26:52 pm »

Saw a little flash of that last night...the bare-handed play (forgot inning and batter) last night was a friggin thing of beauty

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 03:45:14 pm »
Saw a little flash of that last night...the bare-handed play (forgot inning and batter) last night was a friggin thing of beauty

At your fingertips
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "