Author Topic: .500!  (Read 4153 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
.500!
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:36:29 am »
Noe, did you save your prediction post? let's  discuss it from time to time.

the one downer so far in the Grand Plan is the absence of any significant contribution from Cheito. Erstad really is good, and the other bench players have chipped in too. Cruz Jr. may need some extended PT to get going, but how do you do that?

it is fun to speculate/think about realistic/possible ways for this team to get better. i'd like to know what WadeSmith has in mind, if anything. when Wiggy returns, who goes back? i think Byrdak stays as long as he does well so, to me, that means Perez.

man, was everyone--including me--wrong about Tejada! he makes the other players better with his fire, and he can play a little too.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: .500!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:54:33 am »
when Wiggy returns, who goes back? i think Byrdak stays as long as he does well so, to me, that means Perez.

Perez was sent down for Cassel. 13 pitchers on the roster.

41 Brandon Backe   
44 Roy Oswalt
43 Chris Sampson
30 Shawn Chacon

29 Geoff Geary
58 Dave Borkowski
26 Doug Brocail
48 Tim Byrdak
47 Jose Valverde
53 Wesley Wright

38 Brian Moehler
56 Oscar Villarreal
65 Jack Cassel
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:57:48 am »
Ditto Tejada. He has come in and grabbed the role of team leader. He's the one that has the team going.
Ditto Byrdak. With the season he had last year, I can't believe that he wasn't on a major league roster.  
E come vivo? Vivo.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:58:45 am »
- Cheito at some point could be replaced with Diaz or Grenault (sp?)
- Perez was released to add Cassel, leaving the Astros with 13 pitchers. When Wiggy returns, I would guess Byrdek or maybe Moehler. And then the Wandy return would push Cassel back to RR? All three would have to pass through waivers though. I'm glad it's WadeSmith making the decisions and not me.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:06:44 am »

the one downer so far in the Grand Plan is the absence of any significant contribution from Cheito. Erstad really is good, and the other bench players have chipped in too. Cruz Jr. may need some extended PT to get going, but how do you do that?

it is fun to speculate/think about realistic/possible ways for this team to get better. i'd like to know what WadeSmith has in mind, if anything. when Wiggy returns, who goes back? i think Byrdak stays as long as he does well so, to me, that means Perez.

man, was everyone--including me--wrong about Tejada! he makes the other players better with his fire, and he can play a little too.

Coach! You're on fire. Isn't it great when the team you love plays well? I like Byrdak, who can stretch out to two innings. I think that Moehler gets the mitten when a move must be made.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:40:45 am »
I totally missed the Perez move. Yep, I think Moehler's 9 lives may be up.

TheWizard

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 11:17:48 am »
I missed the game last night, but great to see the standings this morning.  Back at .500, feels like a fresh start.
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 11:32:03 am »
The Astros were so tough last night they made Glaus cry (with all due respect to NYCU reporting same):

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5732279.html

"A few minutes later [after whiffing with the bases loaded], Miles took over at third for Glaus, who was removed for what the Cardinals announced as difficulty seeing because of watering of the eyes."

What a pussy.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Noe

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:38:19 am »

Here you go Coach:

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?topic=105437.0

I feared what Cheito showed during spring training as a hitter was a product of playing consistently and the mark of a bench player is to be able to sit for long stretches and then come in and produce when called.  There is no doubt in my mind that Cheito is trying to mold his game to being a bench player instead of a part-time starter.  Hopefully he'll have a turnaround because if not, he'll be out of a job on Memorial Day.  Erstad, on the other hand, has had a much better time of it, as has Blum.  Both have the opportunity to play because of Wiggington and Bourn's injuries and Cooper's well managed approach to sitting starters on occasion to give them rest for the long haul season.

I thought the move of Tejada to the three slot (and the return of Matsui) has really paid huge dividends.  Something about the three spot and leadership that just energizes a team.  It's Bagwellian.  I love Lance Berkman's game, but he is better as a player if he's allowed to be a goof, bat cleanup and be the guy he loves to be.  Carlos Lee may not like hitting #5, but that position has been critical in the past with Alou and then Kent providing really great results.  Lee is now the man, even though he may not think it critical now, he will in due time.  And Pence hitting 6 or 7 may not be to the liking of radio pundits around town, but it is the best slot for his game and allow him to be the Spaz we all like.  The free swinging hair on fire nutjob that will prolong rallies or start rallies down in the lineup.  Very nice.

My thinking is that quietly Shawn Chacon has placed himself as the best option as the #2 guy who will eat innings.  Oswalt/Chacon (if he keeps this up) will look nice after the ASB.  Then Backe and Wandy can relax and pitch.  I like Chacon's mental makeup so far, he does not wilt under pressure and even though he does not have a win (or loss) yet, he has provided 5 quality starts and that is tied for the best amongst starters in the entire majors.

Overall, you and the rest of us saw a good team gelling during early April but having hiccups along the way.  Inconsistency is the name of a team put together like this one was over the offseason.  I'm surprised that they've seemed to come together this quick and won't be surprised if they slump again at some point.  But overall, there is no question in my mind that this is a *good* team, definitely a team that could compete for the division title and/or stay in the wild card race for a good long while.  You can see "good team" written all over this club, adjustments had to be made to position them into functioning as well as they are.

But overall, this is now becoming Miguel's team and right now I doubt anybody has problems with that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:41:51 am by Noe in Austin »

Twoniner

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 12:05:43 pm »
  Echo the comments on Tejada.  Hell of a hitter from the shortstop spot no less.   Solid, solid fielding so far,  and looks to be a real good leader out there.   Stay healthy, and pitch boys!

legs_of_eggs

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 01:08:42 pm »
The Astros were so tough last night they made Glaus cry (with all due respect to NYCU reporting same):

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5732279.html

"A few minutes later [after whiffing with the bases loaded], Miles took over at third for Glaus, who was removed for what the Cardinals announced as difficulty seeing because of watering of the eyes."

What a pussy.

This reminds me of kids when they start crying and you ask "are you crying?" and they vehemently say "I yawned! My eyes are just watering!"

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:32:07 pm »
Here you go Coach:

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?topic=105437.0

I feared what Cheito showed during spring training as a hitter was a product of playing consistently and the mark of a bench player is to be able to sit for long stretches and then come in and produce when called.  There is no doubt in my mind that Cheito is trying to mold his game to being a bench player instead of a part-time starter.  Hopefully he'll have a turnaround because if not, he'll be out of a job on Memorial Day.  Erstad, on the other hand, has had a much better time of it, as has Blum.  Both have the opportunity to play because of Wiggington and Bourn's injuries and Cooper's well managed approach to sitting starters on occasion to give them rest for the long haul season.

I thought the move of Tejada to the three slot (and the return of Matsui) has really paid huge dividends.  Something about the three spot and leadership that just energizes a team.  It's Bagwellian.  I love Lance Berkman's game, but he is better as a player if he's allowed to be a goof, bat cleanup and be the guy he loves to be.  Carlos Lee may not like hitting #5, but that position has been critical in the past with Alou and then Kent providing really great results.  Lee is now the man, even though he may not think it critical now, he will in due time.  And Pence hitting 6 or 7 may not be to the liking of radio pundits around town, but it is the best slot for his game and allow him to be the Spaz we all like.  The free swinging hair on fire nutjob that will prolong rallies or start rallies down in the lineup.  Very nice.

My thinking is that quietly Shawn Chacon has placed himself as the best option as the #2 guy who will eat innings.  Oswalt/Chacon (if he keeps this up) will look nice after the ASB.  Then Backe and Wandy can relax and pitch.  I like Chacon's mental makeup so far, he does not wilt under pressure and even though he does not have a win (or loss) yet, he has provided 5 quality starts and that is tied for the best amongst starters in the entire majors.

Overall, you and the rest of us saw a good team gelling during early April but having hiccups along the way.  Inconsistency is the name of a team put together like this one was over the offseason.  I'm surprised that they've seemed to come together this quick and won't be surprised if they slump again at some point.  But overall, there is no question in my mind that this is a *good* team, definitely a team that could compete for the division title and/or stay in the wild card race for a good long while.  You can see "good team" written all over this club, adjustments had to be made to position them into functioning as well as they are.

But overall, this is now becoming Miguel's team and right now I doubt anybody has problems with that.

Matsui becoming active coincides with this streak....along with alot of other things like the move of Tejada to 3, the hot-streak of Pence. But Matsui is a much better player than I realized. "Ichiro Lite". Not nearly as talented as the great Ichiro but has that great bat control at times. And a huge improvement defensively over an aging Bidg.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 01:41:06 pm »
I always liked Matsui the most out of all the 2B FA players who were on the market.  Great addition.  Fun to watch.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:43:50 pm »
I must confess that I wasn't terribly thrilled with the Kaz signing, but man has he shut me up so far. It feels good to be wrong.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 11:49:50 pm »
The effect Tejada has had is something that's probably pretty hard to perceive until you've got him on your team and watch him regularly. Unless of course, it involves a player on the Yankees or Red Sox, in which case it becomes a thing of legend.

One thing's for sure: Tejada seems a heck of a lot happier in Houston than he was in Baltimore.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 10:09:14 am »
I was listening to the Cards broadcast this weekend on XM and Mike Shannon had plenty of compliments for Tejada.  Shannon said Dizzy Dean used to play baseball with the kids before and after games, and that Tejada's devotion to the game seemed to match Dizzy's.  High praise from a Co-ard...

The effect Tejada has had is something that's probably pretty hard to perceive until you've got him on your team and watch him regularly. Unless of course, it involves a player on the Yankees or Red Sox, in which case it becomes a thing of legend.

One thing's for sure: Tejada seems a heck of a lot happier in Houston than he was in Baltimore.
Grab another Coke and let's die

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:30:36 am »
I hope the Astros can get above .500 soon for the first time since they were 20-19 last May.  This 3-game set in the desert will be tough.

Noe

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 12:47:27 pm »
I hope the Astros can get above .500 soon for the first time since they were 20-19 last May.  This 3-game set in the desert will be tough.

I think you're getting waaaaay to serious about .500 happening before the calendar turns over.  IMHO of course.

pravata

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 01:01:09 pm »
I was listening to the Cards broadcast this weekend on XM and Mike Shannon had plenty of compliments for Tejada.  Shannon said Dizzy Dean used to play baseball with the kids before and after games, and that Tejada's devotion to the game seemed to match Dizzy's.  High praise from a Co-ard...

Cardinals tried for Tejada.  A lot of teams tried for Tejada, Mitchell Report and all.  Also explains why the Astros had to give up that one more player that people complain about.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 01:03:20 pm »
Cardinals tried for Tejada.  A lot of teams tried for Tejada, Mitchell Report and all.  Also explains why the Astros had to give up that one more player that people complain about.

not complaining. just reporting what one guy who once worked with him said.

pravata

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 01:07:18 pm »
not complaining. just reporting what one guy who once worked with him said.

Many people have complained though.  Not just about Sarfate, but about Scott too.  Although it may be Wade's track record, in this case he was competing against several teams.   

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 01:12:57 pm »
Many people have complained though.  Not just about Sarfate, but about Scott too.  Although it may be Wade's track record, in this case he was competing against several teams.   

Scott they WANTED to trade. Sarfate was my "extra guy."

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »
I think you're getting waaaaay to serious about .500 happening before the calendar turns over.  IMHO of course.

I agree with you.  Before the season started I wondered if that was going to be the last time I'd see the 2008 Astros at or above .500.  At least they got back to .500.