Author Topic: Beer Newsflash!  (Read 3202 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Beer Newsflash!
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:45:46 am »
Shiner Bohemian Black Lager is now available on draft (and on draught for Limey).  Had some at Hans' Bierhaus last night, and I'm sure it's available elsewhere.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Newsflash!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:02:38 am »
Shiner Bohemian Black Lager is now available on draft (and on draught for Limey).  Had some at Hans' Bierhaus last night, and I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

It's been on draft at the Front Porch Pub too.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:18:07 am »
It's been on draft at the Front Porch Pub too.

Any Austin sightings?  I'll check out Opals and/or Ginger Man later this week when I am back in town.
Up in the Air

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:23:48 am »
No draft sightings in Austin yet, will let you know. 
RO RASROS!

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:29:24 am »
Cabrera's drunk

It's everywhere.  I even saw it on tap at the little bar in the Oklahoma City airport terminal.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:19 am »
Their dunkelweizen seasonal is also out.  A bit non-traditional for the style but I really like it; it's probably my favorite Shiner beer.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:50:10 am »

i'm sure i'll get yelled at for this, but are all these special shiners everybody's talking about here of a higher quality than regular shiner?  i've never much cared for regular shiner, and it always does a number on my stomach to boot.  however, i once went to a wedding in shiner, tx, and the reception, at some downtown restaurant/former hotel, had shiner on tap straight from the brewery that definitely tasted noticably better than the normal stuff you'd get in austin bars and corner stores.

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:36:39 am »
i'm sure i'll get yelled at for this, but are all these special shiners everybody's talking about here of a higher quality than regular shiner?  i've never much cared for regular shiner, and it always does a number on my stomach to boot.  however, i once went to a wedding in shiner, tx, and the reception, at some downtown restaurant/former hotel, had shiner on tap straight from the brewery that definitely tasted noticably better than the normal stuff you'd get in austin bars and corner stores.

Are you talking about Shiner Bock?  Or are you talking about the old Shiner beer (which has been repackaged as Shiner Blonde)?

For the record, currently available from the Shiner Brewery (in order of my preference):

Dunkelwiezen
Bock
Bohemian Black Lager (nee 97)
98 (Bavarian Style Amber)
Blonde
Light
Kolsch
Hefewiezen

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:53 am »
i've never much cared for regular shiner, and it always does a number on my stomach to boot.

One has to suffer for one's art.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:11:48 am »
Are you talking about Shiner Bock?  Or are you talking about the old Shiner beer (which has been repackaged as Shiner Blonde)?

For the record, currently available from the Shiner Brewery (in order of my preference):

Dunkelwiezen
Bock
Blonde
Light
Kolsch
Hefewiezen

You put the Light ahead of the others?  Hush your mouth!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Andyzipp

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:16:13 am »
You put the Light ahead of the others?  Hush your mouth!

The Light is kind of meh for me, but I don't care for the Kolsch or Hefewiezen from Shiner.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 10:20:33 am »
The Light is kind of meh for me, but I don't care for the Kolsch or Hefewiezen from Shiner.

I quite like the Kolsch and I enjoy the Hefe, while acknowledging that it's not the best out there.  The Light tastes like a pale imitation of Bock - which is what it is - so I really don't care for it.

Also, I believe that Light or Lite beer is simply a marketing ploy to get people to delude themselves into thinking that drinking that stuff is less harmful to them than regular beer.  It may be, but in increments so small as to be irrelevant.  Like smoking low tar cigarettes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:34:05 am by Limey »

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 10:32:07 am »

Dunkelwiezen
Bock
Blonde
Light
Kolsch
Hefewiezen

yeah, i'm talking about the bock.  i've had the blonde only a couple of times, but don't remember it being any great shakes.  i just keep reading this board talking about the '97 and '98 with such reverence, and i wonder if it's of a higher quality than the typical shiner bock you find all over the place in texas, or is the prevailing opinion here that typical shiner bock is itself a great beer, and the '97 and others are just more of the great same?  or do people just think it great because of the texas hell yeah mystique attached to it?

in comparison, and i know these beers aren't exactly similar in taste or texture to shiner, i've always loved the st. arnold's family of beers, especially the brown ale, and i was really pissed back when the celis brewery moved out of austin.

Andyzipp

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 10:35:55 am »
I quite like the Kolsch and I enjoy the Hefe, while acknowledging that it's not the best out there.  The Light taste's like a pale imitation of Bock - which is what it is - so I really don't care for it.

Also, I believe that Light or Lite beer is simply a marketing ploy to get people to delude themselves into thinking that drinking that stuff is less harmful to them than regular beer.  It may be, but in increments so small as to be irrelevant.  Like smoking low tar cigarettes.

Oh, that's all Light beer is, absolutley...but my wife drinks it, so we keep it in the house.  As such...sometimes it's what I have to drink too.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 10:36:42 am »
yeah, i'm talking about the bock.  i've had the blonde only a couple of times, but don't remember it being any great shakes.  i just keep reading this board talking about the '97 and '98 with such reverence, and i wonder if it's of a higher quality than the typical shiner bock you find all over the place in texas, or is the prevailing opinion here that typical shiner bock is itself a great beer, and the '97 and others are just more of the great same?  or do people just think it great because of the texas hell yeah mystique attached to it?

in comparison, and i know these beers aren't exactly similar in taste or texture to shiner, i've always loved the st. arnold's family of beers, especially the brown ale, and i was really pissed back when the celis brewery moved out of austin.

I'd put the '97 and the '98 over regular Bock.  Maybe I need to do some research on this at lunch, but an off-the-cuff order of preference for me would be:

Dunkle
Bock
Kolsch
Hefe
Blond
Light

Yes, I like my beer like my men...dark and intoxicating.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 11:17:47 am »
Mine:

Bock
Dunkel
Blonde
Kolsch
Light
Hefeweizen

Joey,
It's just a question of preference, not quality. All of the beers are different styles, all are good quality. You may love the 97 or 98, or you may hate them. Both are excellent beers in terms of quality, and totally unlike each other and the Bock in taste.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 11:21:30 am »
It's just a question of preference, not quality. All of the beers are different styles, all are good quality. You may love the 97 or 98, or you may hate them. Both are excellent beers in terms of quality, and totally unlike each other and the Bock in taste.

Yet both have that familiar Shiner follow through...if you catch my waft drift.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 06:30:47 pm »
May as well chime in here myself ...

Bock [moves most of the other beers over on a regular basis]
Kolsch [great lawnmower beer]
Hefeweizen [nice, but I do not really like that style]
Dunkel [not particular good, but it does have a little power potential]
tap water
Blonde
ditch water
Light

Up in the Air

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 11:29:38 am »
Any Austin sightings?  I'll check out Opals and/or Ginger Man later this week when I am back in town.

Not at the Opal's North. If their food didn't taste so bad I'd go there more often. But $2 Texas drafts on Wednesdays is a pretty good deal.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 11:32:04 am »
Not at the Opal's North. If their food didn't taste so bad I'd go there more often. But $2 Texas drafts on Wednesdays is a pretty good deal.

...and can go a long way to numbing you against the poor food.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 11:36:36 am »
Word.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 01:56:40 am »
I've been to 3 grocery stores and a (small) liquor store in the last couple of days, and none have had the dunkelweizen.

I swear I've seen it in the last month or so, probably at the Big Specs.

It really is out now, right?  Tell me that I didn't imagine it.

Had to make do with the 97 tonight.  Life is hard.

Amy

• #1 Bidge Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 03:10:19 am »
I've been to 3 grocery stores and a (small) liquor store in the last couple of days, and none have had the dunkelweizen.

I got some a few days ago at the Randall's Flagship on W. Holcombe.  I actually was looking for the 97 but they didn't have it so I tried the Dunkelweizen instead.  I can't decide which one I like better.  It will definitely require further research.

Andyzipp

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 07:35:19 am »

I live in Spring Shadows/Spring Branch and bought a sixer last night.  So I dunno...look harder?