Author Topic: Dog breeds (non BB)  (Read 20330 times)

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
Dog breeds (non BB)
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:43:54 am »
My husband and I are probably going to adopt a dog soon, so we went to the SPCA last night. One particular dog caught my attention (and our current dog, a terrier, actually played with this one, rather than just engaging in the obligatory genital-sniffing), and the card indicated she was a dobermann-dachshund mix (which I've since seen called a weiner-pinscher, hahaha). I don't know much about EITHER of these breeds. Anyone had them? Noe, I believe yours is a weiner, no?

Also, this particular one is still a large puppy - 7 months. Been awhile since either of us has had anything but a full-grown dog, so I can't remember when they stop getting taller.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

OldBlevins

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Dog breeds (non BB)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:41:22 am »
Holly, we have a dog who's now about a year-and-a-half.  They tend to stop getting taller at about a year, but they get stockier for about six months to a year after that.  Dachschunds are pretty friendly little dogs, but they can be nervous.  That would show up already, though.  I don't know much about Dobermans.  And, lest this thread be deleted for irrelevance, I believe Astro, the Jetsons' dog, was part Doberman.
blah, blah, blah . . .

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:52:03 am »
i love dachsunds and have had several.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:53:53 am »
i love dachsunds and have had several.

NTTAWWT
Purity of Essence

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 11:07:01 am »
Pugs are great if you don't mind them snooring.

nlu4ever

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:00 am »
I own two dachshunds and grew up with them.  They are great dogs, very loving.  Just be prepared with dachshunds, they love to sleep in the bed with you under the covers!!
What does a mama bear on the pill have in common with the World Series?  No cubs.  ~Harry Caray
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball.  I'll tell you what I do.  I stare out the window and wait for spring.  ~Rogers Hornsby

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:16:02 am »
NTTAWWT

you should have more pride than to take the easy ones like this.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 11:17:25 am »
you should have more pride than to take the easy ones like this.

"Fuck pride."

Marcellus Wallace
Purity of Essence

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 11:25:02 am »
The perfect house dog, IMHO, is the Havanese.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 11:38:43 am »

Ah yes, the cross between a dog and a Swiffer dust mop.

The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 11:49:30 am »

That's why they're perfect: spray 'em down with a little Endust and let 'em run around. Bingo! Clean house.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 11:58:29 am »
my daughter has a boston terror aka terrier. very clingy, but extremely friendly and a nice house dog
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 12:00:36 pm »

Bingo!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 12:13:12 pm »
NTTAWWT

"You can LOVE your pets... but just don't LOOOOOOOVE your pets."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvwueGobMk
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:25:33 pm »
Dachshunds I have known:

Spike
Chief
Smokey
Nip
Rebel
Doc
Wags

Great dogs.
Most insist on sleeping in your bed under the covers.
Two is better than one; three is better than two but when you get that many they are difficult to walk by yourself.
E come vivo? Vivo.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 12:37:09 pm »
My husband and I are probably going to adopt a dog soon, so we went to the SPCA last night. One particular dog caught my attention (and our current dog, a terrier, actually played with this one, rather than just engaging in the obligatory genital-sniffing), and the card indicated she was a dobermann-dachshund mix (which I've since seen called a weiner-pinscher, hahaha). I don't know much about EITHER of these breeds. Anyone had them? Noe, I believe yours is a weiner, no?

Also, this particular one is still a large puppy - 7 months. Been awhile since either of us has had anything but a full-grown dog, so I can't remember when they stop getting taller.

Dobermanns get a bad rap as they are frequently perceived as aggressive guard dogs.  While they can be trained for that, as they are athletic and have exceptional visual awareness, they are great family dogs if your kids are teenagers.   The only reason I add the teenage qualifier is they are very rambunctious in the first few years as well as being pretty stout (Males can be up to about 90lbs, females top out around 75 normally).  They are very strong and prone to frightening, and possibly injuring, smaller children as a result of their excitable nature. 

Other than that, they are wonderful, affectionate (in a non-twisted way) animals. 

My brother in-law has one.  I'm a fan of boxers which, if you are familiar with the breed, I'd say is a fair comparison to the Dobermann, minus the slobber/drool issues of the boxer. 

I will add, once you start mixing breeds there is no guarantee on animal traits.   Your best bet for figuring out temperament is from the parents. 

ETA:  Are you sure it wasn't a mini-pinscher?  Those are entirely different animals and I would be the last person to offer any feedback on small breed animals.  I loathe yippee dogs....
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 12:56:54 pm »
Thanks all :) Sounds like dachshunds are pretty affectionate "keep close at all times" breeds, then?

SP: I dunno if it's a mini pinscher. The card at the shelter just said pinscher, and the dog is I'd guess 18 inches at the withers now, so unless it was a tall dachshund or an oversized mini, I'm inclined to believe it is half actual doberman. No kids or anything like that... just the other terrier mix we already have, and us.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 01:07:08 pm »
Dobermanns get a bad rap as they are frequently perceived as aggressive guard dogs.  While they can be trained for that, as they are athletic and have exceptional visual awareness, they are great family dogs if your kids are teenagers.   The only reason I add the teenage qualifier is they are very rambunctious in the first few years as well as being pretty stout (Males can be up to about 90lbs, females top out around 75 normally).  They are very strong and prone to frightening, and possibly injuring, smaller children as a result of their excitable nature. 

Other than that, they are wonderful, affectionate (in a non-twisted way) animals. 

My brother in-law has one.  I'm a fan of boxers which, if you are familiar with the breed, I'd say is a fair comparison to the Dobermann, minus the slobber/drool issues of the boxer. 

I will add, once you start mixing breeds there is no guarantee on animal traits.   Your best bet for figuring out temperament is from the parents. 

ETA:  Are you sure it wasn't a mini-pinscher?  Those are entirely different animals and I would be the last person to offer any feedback on small breed animals.  I loathe yippee dogs....

To add to this, dobermanns are what you might call protective: extremely loyal and sensitive to their owner/friend/caretaker. I've never owned one, but talking to a friend who has done animal rescues for decades, it is her favorite animal. Will love you like a lab, but checks with you before allowing anyone to intrude on your territory. Basicly, a very good companion-type gaurd dog. I would not say they are agressive, unless trained that way, only protective.

Dachshunds are a smaller, milder version, in a way.

Both are known for being great pets.

I agree with the fact that all this is just generalizations of the breeds, though. If you like the puppy, and your dog likes it, you probably have a great find.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 01:08:21 pm »
I'd guess 18 inches at the withers now

"Mine's bigger than that."
 -- Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman

Noe

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 01:38:06 pm »
I own two dachshunds and grew up with them.  They are great dogs, very loving.  Just be prepared with dachshunds, they love to sleep in the bed with you under the covers!!

Yes, they do.

Noe

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 01:40:22 pm »
Dachshunds I have known:

Spike
Chief
Smokey
Nip
Rebel
Doc
Wags

Great dogs.
Most insist on sleeping in your bed under the covers.
Two is better than one; three is better than two but when you get that many they are difficult to walk by yourself.

Mine is "Slinky".  And yes, he insist on walking right along side any one of us while we walk around the house.  Every once and a while you'll hear a yelp emanating from somewhere in the house.  "Someone stepped on Slinky again".

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 01:45:59 pm »
Mine is "Slinky".  And yes, he insist on walking right along side any one of us while we walk around the house.  Every once and a while you'll hear a yelp emanating from somewhere in the house.  "Someone stepped on Slinky again".

Rusty (the rat terrier/chihuahua mix) is like that now. We live in a loft, so no doors in the bedroom, and usually around 2am, Rusty hops up on the bed and burrows down in wherever he can. He gets stepped on sometimes, too, for being VERY "underfoot," so to speak.

Noe

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 01:48:21 pm »
Thanks all :) Sounds like dachshunds are pretty affectionate "keep close at all times" breeds, then?

SP: I dunno if it's a mini pinscher. The card at the shelter just said pinscher, and the dog is I'd guess 18 inches at the withers now, so unless it was a tall dachshund or an oversized mini, I'm inclined to believe it is half actual doberman. No kids or anything like that... just the other terrier mix we already have, and us.

Very affectionate, also very protective, so when you have friends over, be prepared for the wiener to rise up and bark at them and maybe even rush one or two of them.  Ours has a particular dislike for men, he doesn't trust 'em to get near any one of us.  But most especially for them to come talk to my wife.  When she is out walking the dog and a neighbor decides to come out of the house to talk to my wife, the wiener gets a little annoyed by it.

The other thing to remember about dachshunds: they're hounds.  Hounds love to dig, so don't get too upset if your wiener does what comes naturally and decides to dig... on the carpet, the bed, the sofa... same as he would outside.  And they also love to mark their territory.  And they have the typical keen sense of smell that hounds have, so be patient walking the dog, he has to sniff everything because while you may think it's a big waste of time, for the dog it is what they do naturally and instinctively.

Now, if you can also look past the chewing of paper (or anything else they love to bite into just to ease their curiosity), you'll be fine.  BTW - our wiener loves to run, so it helps a lot for us to take him out to the soccer field near our house every once and a while to just cut loose.  I take my soccer ball with me and he chases it and has a great ol' time.  Folks are amazed when they see that my wiener is a soccer playing fool!  He knows how to score a goal and take the ball away like a good defender.

One day I'll share a video of him playing soccer.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 02:03:13 pm »
OMG, thank you for that post for so many different reasons, Noe. Sounds like your wiener has some similar traits to the dog we have now, so it wouldn't be TOO much of an adjustment. Gracias, everyone :)

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 02:05:15 pm »
I used to have a boxer who loved to play soccer.  Of course, she also loved to try and tangle up your legs or box with you.   Dogs are awesome. I simply cannot comprehend how anyone chooses a cat over a dog. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 02:22:34 pm »

why didn't you just put a picture of Chico up?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 02:33:07 pm »
when you have friends over, be prepared for the wiener to rise up

NTTAWWT
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 02:43:32 pm »
I used to have a boxer who loved to play soccer.  Of course, she also loved to try and tangle up your legs or box with you.   Dogs are awesome. I simply cannot comprehend how anyone chooses a cat over a dog. 

We're dog people, but 5 or six years ago my kids found a kitten under my parents' barn, so of course it came home with us.  We got to it before the coyotes, and just before all hope of domestication was gone.  It's still the wildest animal I've ever been associated with.  It is a beautiful animal, black with long hair, and it's only friendly with our son.  It seeks him out.

The rest of us it stalks.  If it were 60 pounds heavier, we'd be dinner.  Oddly, it's been one of my favorite pets ever.  I wouldn't choose it over the dog, but I sure would miss it.  It wouldn't miss me in the least.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

strosrays

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 02:54:50 pm »
My first dog was a beagle, when I was five, and despite being run completely over by cars at least twice (one of the times, my dad had to fork over a large amount of jack for life-saving surgery, which I don't think he was all that happy about), he lived until I was in college, albeit with a noticeable limp toward the end.  So I am partial to beagles.  The are not little wussy dogs, and yet repond to simple acts of affection more positively than any dog I have ever seen.  Granted, this sometimes includes whipping the ol' dog-dick halfway out just for being scratched behind the ears.  That upsets some people and isn't always socially appropriate, but I admired this sort of abandonment of oneself to basic cause-and-effect response.

I am on my fourth beagle now.  They probably aren't inside dogs, and if you live anywhere near a hospital or nursing home, you should know the sound of an ambulance siren causes them to howl hauntingly, as if they were still out on the Baskerville moors or somewhere.  That can be a little startling to wake up to at 3:30 a.m.

But I'd go with a beagle.  Aside from them, Labs are good pets, too, if you want a bigger dog.  As far as dachschunds, my kids have one that stays inside mostly, and he is all right.  Kind of touched in the head, though; I thing from banging it into things.  He likes to walk ahead of wherever you are walking, but since he has no idea of which way to go, he is constantly looking back at you for an indication.  Then often looks back forward just in time to run into a wall or a chair leg.  It's hard to have a lot of respect for a dog like that.  As for sharing the bed with one, I wouldn't know.  The only animal I will sleep with is about 5' 5" and brunette.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:57:25 pm by strosrays »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 03:03:16 pm »
My first dog was a beagle, when I was five, and despite being run completely over by cars at least twice (one of the times, my dad had to fork over a large amount of jack for life-saving surgery, which I don't think he was all that happy about), he lived until I was in college, albeit with a noticeable limp toward the end.  So I am partial to beagles.  The are not little wussy dogs, and yet repond to simple acts of affection more positively than any dog I have ever seen.  Granted, this sometimes includes whipping the ol' dog-dick halfway out just for being scratched behind the ears.  That upsets some people and isn't always socially appropriate, but I admired this sort of abandonment of oneself to basic cause-and-effect response.

I am on my fourth beagle now.  They probably aren't inside dogs, and if you live anywhere near a hospital or nursing home, you should know the sound of an ambulance siren causes them to howl hauntingly, as if they were still out on the Baskerville moors or somewhere.  That can be a little startling to wake up to at 3:30 a.m.

But I'd go with a beagle.  Aside from them, Labs are good pets, too, if you want a bigger dog.  As far as dachschunds, my kids have one that stays inside mostly, and he is all right.  Kind of touched in the head, though; I thing from banging it into things.  He likes to walk ahead of wherever you are walking, but since he has no idea of which way to go, he is constantly looking back at you for an indication.  Then often looks back forward just in time to run into a wall or a chair leg.  It's hard to have a lot of respect for a dog like that.  As for sharing the bed with one, I wouldn't know.  The only animal I will sleep with is about 5' 5" and brunette.

i have had (do NOT go there again, Taras) Boston Terriers, Dachsunds, Beagles and a Bassett Hound. they were all great breeds, but the BTs and the Dachsunds were the best. there was not a sweeter dog than our Bassett, though.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 03:07:24 pm »
We're dog people, but 5 or six years ago my kids found a kitten under my parents' barn, so of course it came home with us.  We got to it before the coyotes, and just before all hope of domestication was gone.  It's still the wildest animal I've ever been associated with.  It is a beautiful animal, black with long hair, and it's only friendly with our son.  It seeks him out.

The rest of us it stalks.  If it were 60 pounds heavier, we'd be dinner.  Oddly, it's been one of my favorite pets ever.  I wouldn't choose it over the dog, but I sure would miss it.  It wouldn't miss me in the least.

I think our cat thinks it's a dog. It sleeps at the foot of our bed, follows us from room to room around the house, meets me at the door when I come home from work, does a couple of tricks (my wife has taught it "up, up" and "Sic 'em, Bears!"), and will even occasionally play fetch.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 03:07:53 pm »
That upsets some people and isn't always socially appropriate, but I admired this sort of abandonment of oneself to basic cause-and-effect response.

Your many "conquests" make much more sense in this context.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 03:13:58 pm »
Dogs are awesome. I simply cannot comprehend how anyone chooses a cat over a dog. 

Some people can't have dogs for one reason or another. And some people own these.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 03:23:11 pm »
We have a Boston Terrier named George.  He's the most organized animal I've ever been around--he knows what to do and where to be in pretty much every given situation.  Whenever I raise my voice (teenager issues or Astros pitching) he retreats to the laundry room to stay out of harm's way.  Doesn't bark and stays pretty clean.  I taught him to tree squirrels which he did until his sight largely failed him (Bostons are apparently prone to cataracts).  He's fairly entertaining to watch and has adopted some curious habits.  To reward him after a bath, I began giving him treats.  He took that to mean that whenever anyone bathes or showers, that means a treat for him, as well.  Therefore, he is fairly insistent that once anyone successfully completes the bathing process, he is entitled to a reward.  He's a real political animal.
Purity of Essence

pravata

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »
i have had (do NOT go there again, Taras) Boston Terriers, Dachsunds, Beagles and a Bassett Hound. they were all great breeds, but the BTs and the Dachsunds were the best. there was not a sweeter dog than our Bassett, though.

Unless you live on a farm, or enjoy being herded down your own hallway, or need a calculus tutor, border collies are not the dogs to have.  Genius dogs, but man they're bossy.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 04:37:26 pm »
why didn't you just put a picture of Chico up?

Our website is down currently due to operator disinterest.  Can't link to photos on Mrs Limey's iPhone.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 04:45:57 pm »
"Fuck pride."

Marcellus Wallace

Step side, Butch!
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 04:53:45 pm »

Beagles are great dogs, but they are still hounds.  They will howl at the moon or anything else.  They will chase down squirrels, rats, birds, armadillos...anything that wanders by.  They need to run around.  Lots.  They are not for everyone.  My wife is a cocker spaniel person, so by default I am too at this point.  Cockers make great pets.  They are happy, friendly, energetic and very affectionate.  If you let their hair grow, it does require some maintenance, but you can keep them cut short.  The longer the hair, the more they will shed too.  The can urinate when excited too.  But then again, can't we all?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 05:42:11 pm »
"Mine's bigger than that."
 -- Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman, Damn glad to meet you.

FIFY.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

BossierNaut

• Veteran Role Player
  • ...dyin' just wouldn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 06:59:48 pm »

{/quote}  They can urinate when excited too.  But then again, can't we all?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/fbc/5227042.html

Apparently.....
..a new year..a new club...oh..never mind.

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 07:03:28 pm »
We've got a mini dachshund, Butters, and he's a great little dog.  He'll bark in the middle of the night if he sees a fly, but other than that he's very (if not overly) affectionate.  Our other dog, Abby, is a chi-wiener, and she's the best dog we've ever had.  Didn't really have to house train her, and she has a great personality.  Until I get a house with a bigger (fenced in) yard, I can't see ever having a dog other than a dachshund.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 09:16:52 am »
Step side, Butch!

Or should I have gone with, "Step aside, Bulba," ?  Too late.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 04:36:46 pm »
Unless you live on a farm, or enjoy being herded down your own hallway, or need a calculus tutor, border collies are not the dogs to have.  Genius dogs, but man they're bossy.

We just added two border collies to our pack and they don't do anything unless the husky approves.  She's the smartest, bossiest dog i've ever met and damn is she a bitch.  The collies are still low dogs on the totem pole. I think they'll eventally start to boss the bit pull (he's so skittish he runs out of the room scared of his own farts) but I think the german shepard and the husky are going to keep the collies in line.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2007, 05:24:40 pm »
We just added two border collies to our pack and they don't do anything unless the husky approves.  She's the smartest, bossiest dog i've ever met and damn is she a bitch.  The collies are still low dogs on the totem pole. I think they'll eventally start to boss the bit pull (he's so skittish he runs out of the room scared of his own farts) but I think the german shepard and the husky are going to keep the collies in line.

How many dogs do you have? Do run a sled team as well?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2007, 05:42:33 pm »
How many dogs do you have? Do run a sled team as well?

5.  We're the worst dog foster family ever.  no sled teams in southern california - just an impressive possum hunting team.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2007, 06:34:21 pm »

my sister has a female border collie named izzie(about a year and a half old) and I love izzie to death.  She is so smart, but you are right, she is like a 24 hour energizer bunny, and she wants to play all the time.   

I've never seen a smarter dog however.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 06:38:23 pm by DVauthrin »
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 07:34:47 am »
I'm a fan of boxers which, if you are familiar with the breed, I'd say is a fair comparison to the Dobermann, minus the slobber/drool issues of the boxer.

Agreed.  We have two boxers.  They are fun, goofy dogs.

I loathe yippee dogs....

Double agreed.  I have no time for any dog that can't hold its own with the average cat.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 08:34:00 am »
Agreed.  We have two boxers.  They are fun, goofy dogs.

Double agreed.  I have no time for any dog that can't hold its own with the average cat.
One of the funniest memories from my childhood was my 18lb. Maine Coon cat chasing down a boxer in our yard, jumping on it's back and biting the back of it's neck as it tried to run for it's life while yelping all the way.

My buddy sitting next to me says, "Cool, your cat chases dogs..."

Fluffy was bad ass...
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

strosrays

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 08:48:24 am »
Are you sure it wasn't a mini-pinscher?  Those are entirely different animals and I would be the last person to offer any feedback on small breed animals.  I loathe yippee dogs....

I used to date this girl - and I won't write some epic here about that, or tell you how awesomely good looking she was (about 5' 8", looong legs, honey blonde, looked like an effing model) - because this is a thread about Canis lupus familiaris.  But I digest. . .

She had two matching Shit-soos, whatever those little bitty long-haired dogs are called, and she had them groomed and their toenails painted and little bows tied in their hair, etcetera.  Whenever I went to pick her up, those two little Shit-heads would be yipping at my ankles, pulling on  my shoestrings, an in general annoying the hell out of me.  Sometimes when no one was looking I'd give one or the other of them a swift soccer-style kick, not real hard.  But enough to send the Chit Sue spinning off in circles out of control all the way across the living room, its little painted and manicured toenails unable to get a grip on the polyurethane-coated natural red oak plank floor.

I love animals, dogs especially, but I admit I used to get a perverse pleasure out of sending one of those little whatever they are called doglets skidding across the room.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:50:48 am by strosrays »

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 09:14:45 am »
One of the funniest memories from my childhood was my 18lb. Maine Coon cat chasing down a boxer in our yard, jumping on it's back and biting the back of it's neck as it tried to run for it's life while yelping all the way.

Fluffy was bad ass...

Contrary to the name, Boxers are lovers, not fighters.  Now play fighting is another matter.  They will "box" to the point of exhaustion, take a 5 minute breather, and resume the boxing match.  I have yet to meet a mean boxer.  My boxer never got spooked by much.  The one thing that freaked her out, every time she saw it, was a plastic bag blowing in the wind.  For whatever reason, this raised the hackles on the back of her neck. 

-Mark Twain

strosrays

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:34 am »
My boxer never got spooked by much.  The one thing that freaked her out, every time she saw it, was a plastic bag blowing in the wind.  For whatever reason, this raised the hackles on the back of her neck. 

It would you, too, if you'd ever run over one on the road, and had it wrap around the differential in your rear end (of your vehicle, I mean.)

It's a pain in the ass (your ass, I mean) to get off of there.  I now avoid those things like the plague.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 10:49:43 am »

It would you, too, if you'd ever run over one on the road, and had it wrap around the differential in your rear end (of your vehicle, I mean.)

It's a pain in the ass (your ass, I mean) to get off of there.  I now avoid those things like the plague.

I never considered the auto-maintenance aspect.  I assumed it was because (whispered) "she saw dead people".

-Mark Twain

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 01:58:44 pm »
My Rottweiler is surrounded by two boys under the age of 10 and six female cats. She is terribly sweet, and while she doesn't always know how strong she is, she hasn't hurt a human and will box a cat in a minute if it pisses her off. Three of the cats leave her alone, and in fact one of them sleeps next to her sometimes, but the other three love to sit on the pool table and swat the top of her head as she walks by. She'll leap up and swat right back, sending kitty flying with a surprised mrrreeoooowl... you'd think they'd learn, but apparently not. Daisy doesn't let those cats push her around. She's no pussy.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 03:10:04 pm »
I don't ever recall hearing of an owner of a rottweiler, pit bull, doberman, german shepherd, etc. describe their dog as anything but swell and great around children, likes butterflies, etc.  I'm waiting for an owner of said breeds to step up to the plate and declare his dog as one bad ass killing machine that will rip your arm off just for looking at him the wrong way.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 03:17:21 pm »
I don't ever recall hearing of an owner of a rottweiler, pit bull, doberman, german shepherd, etc. describe their dog as anything but swell and great around children, likes butterflies, etc.  I'm waiting for an owner of said breeds to step up to the plate and declare his dog as one bad ass killing machine that will rip your arm off just for looking at him the wrong way.

no, they are sweet and kind until right before they kill a 3 year old.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 03:17:31 pm »

...chael Vick.  Paging Mi....

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2007, 05:47:21 pm »

Fluffy was bad ass...

That's why I deliberately used the phrase "average cat."

A Maine coon is not an average cat.  It's a cross between a steroid-using  barncat and a raccoon that is good at both the striking and grappling aspects of mixed martial arts.  I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me trade in one of her wimpy housecats for a Maine coon for years.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2007, 08:18:05 pm »

maybe since that doesn't happen, that should tell you something of your opinion.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2007, 11:21:42 pm »
Daisy the Rottweiler vs. Fluffy the Maine Coon in a Texas Cage Match?
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Noe

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2007, 11:35:47 pm »
There are two Rotty's that live down the street from us.  Every night when we (wife and I) walk the wiener, the two Big Ol' Dogs come running to the fence and push against it whilest showing fangs and barking up a storm.  The wiener just pisses in their general direction... every time.

It's now a ritual.

We walk...
We come near the house of Rotty's...
They attack...
Fence stops them from reaching goal of swallowing wiener dog whole...
Wiener dog lifts leg and let's 'er rip.
(Same time tomorrow boys?  Great, catch you then...)

Until the one night the two Rotty's got loose and jumped both Slinky and me (wife was at home that night... lucky her!).  I think I told that story already, but it was not fun trying to get away from horse size dogs.  Luckily they obeyed everytime I yelled "NO!" or "STOP!" while Slinks and I made our getaway.

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 12:05:37 am »
Luckily they obeyed everytime I yelled "NO!" or "STOP!" while Slinks and I made our getaway.

How is it luck that they obeyed commands that they were obviously trained to obey? 

And if they were obeying commands, maybe the situation wasn't quite as dire as you might think.  Because if they were truly bloodthirsty animals intent on killing you and your dog, why would a "no" or "stop" do anything to stop them?

Maybe because they are not bloodthirsty animals hell bent on world destruction?

Nah, that would just be silly.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

otterjb

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 12:23:15 am »
the two Big Ol' Dogs come running to the fence and push against it whilest showing fangs and barking up a storm.  The wiener just pisses in their general direction... every time.
It's now a ritual.

That's just funny.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2007, 06:19:42 am »
How is it luck that they obeyed commands that they were obviously trained to obey? 

And if they were obeying commands, maybe the situation wasn't quite as dire as you might think.  Because if they were truly bloodthirsty animals intent on killing you and your dog, why would a "no" or "stop" do anything to stop them?

Keep at it, man. One day - and that day may never come - Rottweiler misconception will be a thing of the past, and they'll have you to thank.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2007, 07:27:31 am »
Keep at it, man. One day - and that day may never come - Rottweiler misconception will be a thing of the past, and they'll have you to thank.

I read a theory once that dogs are so bred to human companionship that some comprehension of human communication is bred into them. Not comprehension of specific words necessarily, but comprehension of tonal meaning at least.  "No" was a specific example.  I thought that sounded pretty reasonable, and it never failed me. But then I never faced a really vicious dog.

We have a golden, my parents had goldens, my sister has goldens.  Smart, sweet, beautiful dogs that take up too much room when they sneak into bed.  She's hard wired to jump into a pond and retrieve.  Any other activity, including retrieving on land, she will do until she gets tired.  Chasing a ball into a pond?  She'll stop when the world ends.  Dog breeds are hard wired to do certain things, though individual goldens may not like water.

We used to take her out to ball fields and let her retrieve during batting practice.  We had to stop when she caught a line drive.  Stupid of us, but it was a great catch.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2007, 08:00:17 am »
I had a college roommate who brought a rottweiler puppy home (to our APARTMENT) one day. They didn't stay long because the dog outgrew our place in about 6 months, but the worst I ever saw it do was knock over some ceramic sculptures while being a puppy. Oh, and it ate a fiberglass fishing rod in the back of my pickup (then sicked it up later in the tent on the beach).

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2007, 08:18:36 am »
Oh, and it ate a fiberglass fishing rod in the back of my pickup (then sicked it up later in the tent on the beach).

New meaning to catch & release
Always ready to go to a game.

Noe

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2007, 09:39:23 am »

It was lucky I remembered to not panic and to order them to stop.  In a emergency, you only make it worse when you can't keep your wits about you.  Of course, I also didn't order them to attack us (that part I would classify as unlucky)... but I understand that this dog is very territorial and cannot distinguish between someone trying to invade his domain and someone who is an innocent passerby walking his wiener.  What if that was my 9 year old though (he walks home from school every day right pass this particular house), would he be *so lucky* in this situation?  Would he remember to scream "No" to keep these huge attacking dogs at bay?  I can only hope so, but my gut tells me my 9 year old would panic and these dogs would inflict major harm.  But of course, it's my son's fault for not remembering to scream "NO!" because these dogs are well trained and all.

But do I blame the dog?  No, not necessarily.  Do I think *this* particular owner has some serious flaws in the way he keeps his Rotty's?  Oh you betcha!   After two visits from the police because of *other* similar incidents, these dogs are now chained, the fences are reinforced and the holes that the dogs made to escape have been sealed (I think with concrete).  Seems like an excessive amount of work to keep a dog, but at least they will sleep well at night knowing no one in our neighborhood will ever break into their home!

More power to them.  But the very idea that you have to go to these extremes means you're not dealing with a dog that is entirely void of inflicting major damage to humans.

maybe the situation wasn't quite as dire as you might think

I know when it's an emergency and when it's not and when it's dire and when it's not.  These two dogs *have* attacked others, both times they were able to escape into another home.  I frankly wish the police would take them away, but they're following some sort of rule I guess.  BTW - when I mention this incident, it's not to indict an entire breed, just these two dogs that are guard dogs for a home that in my opinion needs no such protection.  This owner has them in his yard for this *very* purpose (eat anyone alive who dares to invade).  IOW - he wants them to be vicious.  The problem is he hasn't been able to keep them *in his yard* until just recently.  It is intentional that he has them trained to protect, and it was the only method I knew to stop them.

I was lucky, I don't give a shit what you think if I was or not.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:03:00 am by Noe in Austin »

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2007, 10:07:25 am »

Get off your high horse.  If you don't see this scenario as a problem you are beyond biased, you are delusional. 

-Mark Twain

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2007, 11:07:11 am »
Daisy the Rottweiler vs. Fluffy the Maine Coon in a Texas Cage Match?

Loser leaves town? Maybe Coal Miner's Collar? You book and promote, I'll get sponsorship, and we'll make a mint. I'll have to remember to remove her pink neck bandana before the fight so she doesn't look too foofy.

As far as the other stuff goes... I didn't intend to start another "big vicious-looking dogs vs. the world" debate again. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I've had dogs of all shapes and sizes during my lifetime, but the three best I ever had were my Rottie, and a German Shepherd and weenie dog that I grew up with. I actually wouldn't mind having a weenie dog now, but Mr. 94CougarGrad is partial to big dogs, and I've gotta get rid of some of these cats before we get another dog.
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:34 am »
But do I blame the dog?  No, not necessarily.  Do I think *this* particular owner has some serious flaws in the way he keeps his Rotty's?  Oh you betcha!   

And here is the key.  Which when dicknut earlier threw in his troll post about all these breeds being animals of mass destruction missed.  And what most everyone fails to see.

You'll have to forgive me being skeptical about a story in which the only information is that animals are obeying commands being a life threating situation.  If this owner is a problem, then he definitely can create some serious problem animals.  If they have indeed attacked other people before (to the tune of actual injury?), there are recourses for people to take.

BTW - when I mention this incident, it's not to indict an entire breed, just these two dogs that are guard dogs for a home that in my opinion needs no such protection.

Well then I apologize, it coming so soon after this

special piece of stupidity, without any real details, in just looked a story in support. 

Mainly because I have a counter story.  There is a park in which I walk/jog my shepherd, for well over a year now.  I have met many other dog people in that park with all sorts of different dogs and have enjoyed meeting almost all of them.  Except for one night when were out there a man with a little Pomeranian comes out there with a tennis racket in hand. 

There are tennis courts there so I naturally assumed he was there to play some tennis.   But he doesnt, he lets his dog wander, off leash mind you, around the park taking care of it's business.  As we get near him, his dog comes running up to us to say hello.  I let them sniff at each other and stand there as he comes running up to me. 

Brandishing his tennis racket.  He shoves that racket between the dogs, shakes it in my face.  I'm rather confused, he screams at me to get my dog to stop (doing what, i have no idea) then drags his animal away.  I tell him he sure is a friendly fellow, and he turns and yells back that he's trying to keep from getting hurt.

The people on the tennis court are wondering what's going on, and I tell them I have no idea, and continue my walk.

I find out later, that this individual has been telling others that he's been attacked, attacked by a German Shepherd.

This park is on Woodway and Bering.  He brought out a tennis racket for protection in the middle of the uptown/galleria area.  and is telling people that he was attacked by a german shepherd.

So yes, when I hear a story about an animal that is obeying commands, I generally am very skeptical, in the outset, of that individuals perception of events.

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2007, 11:46:33 am »
As far as the other stuff goes... I didn't intend to start another "big vicious-looking dogs vs. the world" debate again. dog.

You didnt.  It was that other dipshit that stuck his nose into a thread about people sharing their dog/pet stories.  It was a happy place till he opened his mouth.

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2007, 11:47:19 am »
Get off your high horse.  If you don't see this scenario as a problem you are beyond biased, you are delusional. 

high horse fucking please. 

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2007, 11:55:27 am »
New meaning to catch & release

BA-dum-bum. He'll be here all week! Be sure to tip your waitress!

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2007, 12:18:15 pm »
You didnt.  It was that other dipshit that stuck his nose into a thread about people sharing their dog/pet stories.  It was a happy place till he opened his mouth.

Please clarify on "dicknut" or "dipshit," big guy.
Purity of Essence

Noe

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2007, 12:36:24 pm »
And here is the key.  Which when dicknut earlier threw in his troll post about all these breeds being animals of mass destruction missed.  And what most everyone fails to see.

I think we can have conversations until the moon turns to cheese on this issue, but it's similar to the gun control laws issue: most of the problems found in destruction because of guns is owner driven.  Is the answer to not have guns?  Is the answer to control the gun owning population (ie: background checks, et. al.)?  I dunno, I have very little opinions on that because no one in my life experience has ever pointed a gun at me.

But I have had dogs chase me with the intent to hurt, maim, injury and destroy.... including recently with the situation described.  The owner knowingly trained his dogs to react the way they do to territory and protection.  The owner is to blame but the dog at that point is a lethal weapon and should be taken away and even put down because of said owner's stupidity.  How many owners of such dogs do you think may exist?  A lot, not that many, one too many if these dogs can maim just one child?  I dunno the answers to these questions any more than I know the answers to gun control either.  I just know that if these dogs were Chit whatever stros-ray mentioned above, the owner would be harmless with his stupidity.  But these dogs can be used for harm far more than a lap yappy dog for sure and because of that and because even the groups that are associated with this particular breed understand and acknowledge that they can and will harm people, wildlife and property in the hands of stupid owners, then we are talking about a danger.

You'll have to forgive me being skeptical about a story in which the only information is that animals are obeying commands being a life threating situation.  If this owner is a problem, then he definitely can create some serious problem animals.  If they have indeed attacked other people before (to the tune of actual injury?), there are recourses for people to take.

No one has gotten injured, just scared shitless by dogs with huge fangs running at them.  That is enough to raise the concern with this owner.  Prevention of injury should be something the police work at as well, but they react to actual injury or bodily harm and until that happens, they can only warn the guy that he's playing with fire.

Mainly because I have a counter story.  There is a park in which I walk/jog my shepherd, for well over a year now.  I have met many other dog people in that park with all sorts of different dogs and have enjoyed meeting almost all of them.  Except for one night when were out there a man with a little Pomeranian comes out there with a tennis racket in hand. 

There are tennis courts there so I naturally assumed he was there to play some tennis.   But he doesnt, he lets his dog wander, off leash mind you, around the park taking care of it's business.  As we get near him, his dog comes running up to us to say hello.  I let them sniff at each other and stand there as he comes running up to me. 

Brandishing his tennis racket.  He shoves that racket between the dogs, shakes it in my face.  I'm rather confused, he screams at me to get my dog to stop (doing what, i have no idea) then drags his animal away.  I tell him he sure is a friendly fellow, and he turns and yells back that he's trying to keep from getting hurt.

The people on the tennis court are wondering what's going on, and I tell them I have no idea, and continue my walk.

I find out later, that this individual has been telling others that he's been attacked, attacked by a German Shepherd.

This park is on Woodway and Bering.  He brought out a tennis racket for protection in the middle of the uptown/galleria area.  and is telling people that he was attacked by a german shepherd.

So yes, when I hear a story about an animal that is obeying commands, I generally am very skeptical, in the outset, of that individuals perception of events.

The animals in question obeyed because I was not hyterical and assumed the dominant position with them.  How often do I have to repeat that?  And if it had been my son, do I blame him for becoming hysterical at a rushing Rottweiler?  If you can tell me flat out that my son is to blame in such an incident because those dogs are trained to listen to the command of a dominant person, then go ahead and say so and then I'll know your position clearly in this situation.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2007, 12:46:02 pm »
No one has gotten injured, just scared shitless by dogs with huge fangs running at them.  That is enough to raise the concern with this owner.  Prevention of injury should be something the police work at as well, but they react to actual injury or bodily harm and until that happens, they can only warn the guy that he's playing with fire.

Agreed on all parts but highlighting this for response.  Sadly, you are correct.  The same "reactionary" response applies to destructive teenagers, as I had an experience where a nearby neighbors child nearly set my house on fire.  However, by reporting these issues as frequently as possible, should something bad happen, the consequences are much more severe than if it appears to be an unprecedented event.  That's what I was told by my neighbor (a sheriff's deputy) and the investigating officer with my property damage.   Unfortunatley, there is no obligation on the owner (or parent) to do anything until some form of harm or damage (monetary) can be proven. 

-Mark Twain

Noe

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2007, 12:57:39 pm »
Agreed on all parts but highlighting this for response.  Sadly, you are correct.  The same "reactionary" response applies to destructive teenagers, as I had an experience where a nearby neighbors child nearly set my house on fire.  However, by reporting these issues as frequently as possible, should something bad happen, the consequences are much more severe than if it appears to be an unprecedented event.  That's what I was told by my neighbor (a sheriff's deputy) and the investigating officer with my property damage.   Unfortunatley, there is no obligation on the owner (or parent) to do anything until some form of harm or damage (monetary) can be proven. 

Eggszactly.  When I reported the dogs being loose and running at us (slinks and me), the police came and it was comical how they tried in vain to corral them with the expressed purpose of doing the *only* thing they could do... put them back into their back yard.  At one point, because they were now sitting on their own lawn, the dogs assumed they were now home and the police should leave.  The one lady officer made a move towards them and both dogs rose up to assume an attack position.  The other officer behind her screamed that she should stop immediately and walk backwards slowly and in a submissive fashion.  The dogs didn't run at her, but had she taken one more step towards them in their own property they were going to jump her.  The officer behind her recognized this and warned her of the impending doom ready to befall her.  He also had his hand on his glock ready to fire if he needed too.

The owner came out and realized what was going on with three police cars and his dogs in the front lawn and he managed to get them to come inside the house.  They talked to the guy (again) about doing something about this really bad habit of his dogs of escaping.  He promised he would while most of his neighbors (like me) just stood outside to let the guy know we were not very happy with his inability to control those dogs entirely.  He thinks he has control, but it is limited to his own ability to be around them.  So now he's had to chain them.  These are not pets (repeat, NOT PETS, the owner doesn't even begin to pretend they're pets)... these are vicious animals trained to protect and if need be, harm someone in the process.  So he, as an owner, has learned that he has a huge responsibility in his hands and frankly, I just as soon he get rid of the dogs because he's proven he's unable to take on this responsibility fully.  He's had them trained to be vicious... on purpose... because he has decided the value of his home is much more important than anything else.

And until we learn of one person getting seriously hurt, Lord forbid it be a child walking home from school just three blocks from his house, then the police can't do anything about it.  The one officer came up to me after everything was said and done and said "I wish I would've shot those dogs" and then walked away.  When you get to that point with an animal, we're waaaaaaay beyond talking about pets.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:00:45 pm by Noe in Austin »

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2007, 01:02:56 pm »
Please clarify on "dicknut" or "dipshit," big guy.

the words are rather self evident, one would think.  but there are numerous dictionaries available if you have the capacity to understand their use.

The animals in question obeyed because I was not hyterical and assumed the dominant position with them.  How often do I have to repeat that?  And if it had been my son, do I blame him for becoming hysterical at a rushing Rottweiler?  If you can tell me flat out that my son is to blame in such an incident because those dogs are trained to listen to the command of a dominant person, then go ahead and say so and then I'll know your position clearly in this situation.

The question isn't about blaming you, or your son in anything.  That was never an issue or the point, so I dont know why you keep bringing it up.

You said it was an issue with two specific dogs and their owner, and not an intent to generalize across a population.  I was content with that and apologized.  My annoyance comes with the faulty, and hasty generalizations applied.  as was the case with the initial idiot.

My point in the second story is that, without details, there is no way to tell if someones perception actually matches the reality of the situation, and one can perceive some "danger" where none actually exists.  Which is the reason for the initial skepticism of events as described.

Noe

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 01:13:23 pm »
The question isn't about blaming you, or your son in anything.  That was never an issue or the point, so I dont know why you keep bringing it up.

Because you mentioned it, the dogs are trained to obey commands and I used it (hence no danger).  The natural progression then is: Does it mean that had I not used it and the dogs attacked me, that I was to blame in some way for getting hysterical (like racquet man)?  I'll say it again, these are not pets, these are attack dogs... this close to being wild animals that are used for one purpose only... protect their turf.  I used the only thing at my disposal at that point, but would not blame anyone else if they failed to use commands with these vicious dogs because there was eminent danger at hand.

You said it was an issue with two specific dogs and their owner, and not an intent to generalize across a population.  I was content with that and apologized.  My annoyance comes with the faulty, and hasty generalizations applied.  as was the case with the initial idiot.

My point in the second story is that, without details, there is no way to tell if someones perception actually matches the reality of the situation, and one can perceive some "danger" where none actually exists.  Which is the reason for the initial skepticism of events as described.

I failed to see why you jumped to the conclusion of non-danger.  Sorry, but you seem to have a warp sense of this situation with dogs because you're biased to an extreme that will not allow you to see it any other way.  I love dogs as pets, but I am not swinging to any extreme when it comes to dogs (any more than I do with guns as described above).  Those who are at the extremes at these sort of debates tend to see things in very black and white, non-bending, entrenched ways.  So be it, but you are not the majority but the vocal minority we tend to see speak up on issue and do it so with passion and a blind eye.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:14:55 pm by Noe in Austin »

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2007, 01:19:22 pm »
OK, folks.

So... any (standard) schnauzer owners out there? The wiener-pinscher (and all others we saw last Thursday) have been adopted. Quick turnover, and a whole new batch of arrivals right now.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2007, 01:25:21 pm »
No pets here, I have children.  Keeping them exercised and well fed is enough for me.

Noe

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 01:26:24 pm »
OK, folks.

So... any (standard) schnauzer owners out there? The wiener-pinscher (and all others we saw last Thursday) have been adopted. Quick turnover, and a whole new batch of arrivals right now.

Oh boy, my entire family (brothers and sisters) own schnauzers.  Talk about very hyper-active and with a little bit of a mean streak in them if you're not careful.  But they are fun dogs.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 01:40:49 pm »
Any idea on what brings out the mean streaks, if they weren't born that way? Like, not enough activity or boredom, or being pulled on by a child, or...? We found out that when the little rat terrier is bored he um... licks himself, for non-hygienic purposes.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2007, 01:51:37 pm »
OK, folks.

As the old saying goes..if i could I .....oh nevermind.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2007, 01:55:06 pm »
As the old saying goes..if i could I .....oh nevermind.

I don't think anyone here wants minds-eye picture of your flexibility levels!  :o

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2007, 01:59:42 pm »
I got my current dog at the SPCA Humane Society Shelter. No one knows for sure what kind of a dog she is but the best guess is a whippet mixed with a terrier, probably a pit-bull. She's a sweetheart with and endless supply of enthusiasm. Forty-four pounds. She gets along with all humans and dogs and my two house cats, though only considers one of them a friend (and he'll be friends with anyone, while the other, pretty much hates everyone). Any other cat or animal is prey to chase.

The dog loves to run fast in large circles, chase tennis balls, and catch frisbees. She's a year and a half old now and has finally settled in to being a really fun dog. I'm not saying it's like raising kids or anything but a puppy is to a dog what a baby is to a human, so there is that and I'm glad to get the puppy stuff over with. Especially since she was already 10 months old and kind of wild (like many shelter dogs may be) when I got her.

She had never had any kind of house training. The whole concept was foreign to her for about a week and it was starting to freak me out because that seemed to come naturally to every other pet I'd ever had. Finally after 17 days she started to get it, there were still a few occasional slip-ups for another month.

So it's good to be aware that an adopted dog could have a damaged psyche, be untrained, or both, requiring more attention and time working with, but if you're willing to put in the effort it can be very rewarding for both you and the pet.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:02:57 pm by Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:01 pm »
Any idea on what brings out the mean streaks, if they weren't born that way? Like, not enough activity or boredom, or being pulled on by a child, or...? We found out that when the little rat terrier is bored he um... licks himself, for non-hygienic purposes.

Everyone I know who has owned schnauzers say they are one-person dogs.  They bond to one person, mind one person, and do not like other people entering the mix.  That generally means they don't make great family pets.  Training and socialization of any dog will prevent most bad behavior.  The exception is when you get a "omega" or the runt.  They tend to be instinctively fearful and only the most experienced owners should even attempt to own these dogs.  More often than not, these animals are so aggressive/fearful, you wouldn't pick the animal anyway. 

Sphinx, sounds like your dog is part boxer. 

eta: changed gamma to omega.  Brain fart...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:59:56 pm by S.P. Rodriguez »

-Mark Twain

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 02:25:30 pm »
Everyone I know who has owned schnauzers say they are one-person dogs.  They bond to one person, mind one person, and do not like other people entering the mix.  That generally means they don't make great family pets.  Training and socialization of any dog will prevent most bad behavior.  The exception is when you get a "gamma" or the runt.  They tend to be instinctively fearful and only the most experienced owners should even attempt to own these dogs.  More often than not, these animals are so aggressive/fearful, you wouldn't pick the animal anyway. 

Good information to know, SP! Thanks.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 02:59:30 pm »

She might be, her muzzle is not as elongated as a pure bred whippet and her face is slightly broader. Her hind quarters are more bow-legged than a whippet's as well.

Noe

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 03:00:17 pm »
Everyone I know who has owned schnauzers say they are one-person dogs.  They bond to one person, mind one person, and do not like other people entering the mix.  That generally means they don't make great family pets.  Training and socialization of any dog will prevent most bad behavior.  The exception is when you get a "gamma" or the runt.  They tend to be instinctively fearful and only the most experienced owners should even attempt to own these dogs.  More often than not, these animals are so aggressive/fearful, you wouldn't pick the animal anyway. 

Dead spot on.  My favorite example is how Rudy, a schnauzer that belonged to my brother-in-law would be highly disobedient to my mother-in-law when she had to take care of him.  My brother-in-law was in college at the time, so for very long stretches Rudy would have to live with mother-in-law.  It was an interesting dynamic watching Rudy basically ignore my mother-in-law at all times and yet when my brother-in-law would come home from school, he was a totally different doggie.  At times, he would get very irritable with Mom-in-Law and that made him look more mean than he really was.

Rudy finally ran away one day when my brother-in-law went to school and Rudy had had enough of having to be left behind.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2007, 04:07:39 pm »
the words are rather self evident, one would think.  but there are numerous dictionaries available if you have the capacity to understand their use.

What do you know--Joshua Dicks is back.
Purity of Essence

ybbodeus

• View Profile
What is this, trohpar, some kind of....sick JOKE?!
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2007, 11:16:28 pm »
Why don't you come on over to the team and join us for the big win?

Otherwise, troph, you're on the verge of discovering that your inner Joshua is about to be realized and exposed for the trophar that he really is? 

Just tryin' to help.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2007, 05:16:21 am »

He's had them trained to be vicious... on purpose... because he has decided the value of his home is much more important than anything else.

That's a shame he feels he needs savage guard dogs, 'cause it's goes without saying a dog that barks, any dog, is a deterrent to home invaders. There are plenty of homes without dogs to weed though, why risk alerting neighbors or homeowners by disturbing a dog, when it's not necessary?

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2007, 07:27:31 am »
That's a shame he feels he needs savage guard dogs, 'cause it's goes without saying a dog that barks, any dog, is a deterrent to home invaders. There are plenty of homes without dogs to weed though, why risk alerting neighbors or homeowners by disturbing a dog, when it's not necessary?

I'm guessing the guy got rottweilers to deter invaders who aren't scared off by just barks. Would you post a noisy weiner dog visibly in the front yard and consider that as good a deterrant as a rottweiler? (rhetorical)

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2007, 07:34:29 am »

From a strictly financial standpoint.  What is the difference in annual cost between a dog whose sole purpose is being a guard and the cost of a ADT security system?  By the time you pay the vet bills, the food bills, etc.  isn't it about a break even proposal. 

The hit comes to the male bravado ego of a guy who feels like a big guard dog makes him a bigger man.   A little sign in the yard doesn't quite boost the ego the way a 120 lb dog does. 

Noe

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2007, 09:59:31 am »
I think that in this case, there is some of the machismo going on here.  My wiener will bark at anything that catches his attention.  He sleeps in the kitchen facing the backyard.  He loves to cover up though, and that helps tremendously to avoid his barking at any passing leaf blown down from a tree.  However, if he hears a noise, it's bark time!

And then it's up to me to find out what is going on.  Ironically enough, I have an alarm system so I don't need Slinker Fink to alert me... but he's more of a bark because he hears something outside *prior* to a break in.  The job is still mine to do something about it and I don't need no stinkin' big dog specially trained to kill to take care of my business (re: protect my family and property).  At least I don't think so.

My dog is my pet, but readily admit that this is just me and I in no way am saying that everyone else who uses dogs to protect and guard are wrong.  I do say though that if you're irresponsible in having a dog trained to do that, you should pay severe consequences when it goes wrong on you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:01:08 am by Noe in Austin »

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:52 am »
From a strictly financial standpoint.  What is the difference in annual cost between a dog whose sole purpose is being a guard and the cost of a ADT security system?  By the time you pay the vet bills, the food bills, etc.  isn't it about a break even proposal. 

The hit comes to the male bravado ego of a guy who feels like a big guard dog makes him a bigger man.   A little sign in the yard doesn't quite boost the ego the way a 120 lb dog does. 

Uh no, the up-keep on two dogs that size is probably greater than a home security service.  The training alone can surpass a couple grand each, assuming they were professionally trained. 

-Mark Twain

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2007, 02:04:32 pm »
http://www.amarillo.com/

Nothing to see here.  Move along.
Purity of Essence

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2007, 02:21:47 pm »
http://www.amarillo.com/

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

I saw where methamphetamine is evidently illegal. 

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2007, 02:54:18 pm »
Sorry, there's a story (obviously untrue) about pit bulls killing a small horse and treeing the owner.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2007, 02:58:16 pm »
Sorry, there's a story (obviously untrue) about pit bulls killing a small horse and treeing the owner.

mistaken identity, obviously. the sweet lovable puppy thought the horse was a large child.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:12 pm »
mistaken identity, obviously. the sweet lovable puppy thought the horse was a large child.

No no no, the sweet lovable puppy was defending the cancer striken child from the minature horse and the child's dad.  The owner was not present because he couldn't climb the 4 1/2' fence.
Apparently they captured one of the suspects and are in the questioning phase of the investigation.  The other one got away.  Anyone know of a 'helpless, sweet, innocent dog' lawyer who would work 'Pro-Bone-O?' 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2007, 03:27:54 pm »
No no no, the sweet lovable puppy was defending the cancer striken child from the minature horse and the child's dad.  The owner was not present because he couldn't climb the 4 1/2' fence.
Apparently they captured one of the suspects and are in the questioning phase of the investigation.  The other one got away.  Anyone know of a 'helpless, sweet, innocent dog' lawyer who would work 'Pro-Bone-O?' 

excellent. this sounds like a case for Racehorse Haynes.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2007, 03:35:47 pm »

"Fourth, I don't even own a dog."

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2007, 03:39:46 pm »
This ain't their first run-in with the law neither......
http://www.kerovisuals.com/timer/dog-poker-background-1024x768.jpg

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2007, 03:43:06 pm »

I heard he can lick his own balls.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2007, 04:47:03 pm »

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »

The horse needed killing.
E come vivo? Vivo.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2007, 11:06:53 am »
If the muzzle doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2007, 11:09:09 am »
They need to find the owner of those pitbulls and make him pony up.

Noe

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2007, 12:03:45 pm »

Eggszactly... they need to reign him in!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2007, 12:14:19 pm »
Eggszactly... they need to reign him in!

No need to stirrup things more than they are.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2007, 12:28:40 pm »

The dad had a haunch those unbridled dogs were chompin' at the bit. Best tack would be to corral that owner up, find that other dog and send him out to pasture.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2007, 12:41:56 pm »

Can't find him.  He hoofed it.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2007, 01:34:45 pm »
Can't find him.  He hoofed it.

He's broke. Can't trough up the feed.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2007, 03:12:21 pm »
The suspects obviously would not have any of the 'horse whisperer' acting like a 'dog whisperer', so they treed him.  I guess not even "STOP" worked in this case.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2007, 10:20:37 pm »
Just a happy update! We came home with a happy wiggling little 3-month-old 4-pound dachshund tonight :) No name yet, but she's as cute as it gets!!

http://www.mugs.net/puppy/

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2007, 10:31:55 pm »
Just a happy update! We came home with a happy wiggling little 3-month-old 4-pound dachshund tonight :) No name yet, but she's as cute as it gets!!

Congratulations! One of my best friends in high school had a dachshund whose real name was "Schotzie", but we all called her "Fang". That was a perfect fit for a killing machine like that.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2007, 06:33:44 am »

Beautiful!

BatGirl

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2007, 01:55:20 am »

settled on a name yet?  my now 11-year-old little mini is almost completely grey-faced...paws, too.  but i found a picture of him the other day taken when he was about 16 weeks old, and it all came back - plus, puppy breath!!  i'm sad to say that part doesn't last.  but they are the best little dogs!

i named my boy bailey, but he rarely gets called by his "birth" name.  although, he will answer to any and all of the following of his nickname evolutions: bailey boy, bubba boy, bub, bubba, bub wiener, pookie, pooka poo, booboo, boobie, schmoobie boobie, boobers, and, now, sadly he has become our "ghost-faced wee-nah".  i think if i ever get another one, i'll name him longfellow.  either that or "seven".   

congratulations! 
..because chickens are decent people.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »
I think we are going to go with Eliza Doolittle :) She looks sorta like Audrey Hepburn to me (the doey-eyes, long slender neck and her ears are like a little hairdo). As of right now, I think she's pretty bonded to me. Yay! She's sleeping on my chest as I type. Quite a little jumper, too, which is a surprise. First big task will be housebreaking -- she isn't at all (other than not making a mess where she sleeps) and we live on the 4th floor of an apartment, so "outside" isn't all that close, once the squatting commences. Good times, though :)

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2007, 08:26:37 am »

Excellent. You are in for a great experience.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Noe

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2007, 09:37:27 am »

Awesome.   She is the spitting image of Slinky, only she has a much slender face.  Congrats.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2007, 09:47:49 am »
First big task will be housebreaking -- she isn't at all (other than not making a mess where she sleeps) and we live on the 4th floor of an apartment, so "outside" isn't all that close, once the squatting commences. Good times, though :)

Dogs don't pee where they sleep, so that element of it isn't progress on the training front, it's just doggie-nature.  That's why you should always make sure that, until they are house-broken, they sleep in a space too small for them to be able to pee one end and sleep the other.

Our breeder told us to get puppy pads for the first few weeks, which we did.  However, I think that just taught him that peeing in the house was ok, and so the house-breaking process was extended as a result.   After all, how is he to know that the carpet isn't just one huge puppy pad?  My advice, bite the bullet and make the trip outside as often as necessary to train your pup.

(Our breeder also told us to save money on toys by knotting a couple of old socks instead.  Now, no sock is safe from doggie-thievery.  There's a couple of bits of advice I could've done without!)

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2007, 02:57:03 pm »
Dogs don't pee where they sleep, so that element of it isn't progress on the training front, it's just doggie-nature.  That's why you should always make sure that, until they are house-broken, they sleep in a space too small for them to be able to pee one end and sleep the other.

Oh yup. We've got a make-shift crate which consists of the doggie bed which pooch #1 rejected as a sleeping space, and my laundry basket turned up-side down on it. She has managed to hold it without issue overnight, and then we let her out and get her outside as soon as we can after that in the morning to encourage outdoor peeing. We have the pads as well, for middle-of-the-day and she's gone on them about half the time. Twice she peed on furniture but that's because she can't jump down off them yet (too high) and I didn't recognize that she was sniffing around for a spot to squat in. Now that I know...

(Our breeder also told us to save money on toys by knotting a couple of old socks instead.  Now, no sock is safe from doggie-thievery.  There's a couple of bits of advice I could've done without!)

Got plenty of chewtoys. No plan whatsoever to give her something to chew on which she might "find" accidentally in a closet or otherwise (like socks). Thanks for the reminder, though!