Author Topic: reverse that  (Read 6352 times)

pravata

reverse that
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:33:33 am »
Ensberg in San Diego “I am 100 percent feeling great,” he said. “The shoulder is zero reason for my play. The situation in Houston was that other guys, Mike Lamb and Mark Loretta, were playing well and I was getting phased out. When I started getting only a few at-bats a week, I went into the tank.”
Link

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: reverse that
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:07:13 pm »
If he's hoping to get more ABs, San Diego may not be the best fit.

The Padres have the option of sending rookie third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff to Triple-A without exposing him to waivers. The club had been looking to acquire a supportive player for Kouzmanoff, who has struggled against right-handers and could need extra rest because of a history of back problems.

However, the Padres plan to keep both Ensberg and Kouzmanoff. They expect Kouzmanoff to remain the starting third baseman, with Ensberg coming off the bench.

Link

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
denial is a powerful drug.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

kevwun

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:36:19 pm »
Personally, I would milk the bum shoulder angle.  Making up stories about why your playing time decreased is silly.  Does he think Garner and Purpura had a secret meeting on how to ruin the career of their one time all-star third baseman?  I be Lamb and Loretta were in on it too.
Crazy Joe McCluskey was fucking nuts.  It's why they called him Crazy Joe.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:55:13 pm »
denial is a powerful drug.

Sounds great, how much will $20 get me? I can meet you in front of the Driskill in 10 minutes.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

dirty steve

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 02:27:57 pm »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:37:55 pm »
Personally, I would milk the bum shoulder angle.

Can't do that with a new team, otherwise you'd never get the nod to start.  Have to blame the old team for your woes, because you're quality and they just didn't know it.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:38:46 pm »
Ensberg in San Diego “I am 100 percent feeling great,” he said. “The shoulder is zero reason for my play. The situation in Houston was that other guys, Mike Lamb and Mark Loretta, were playing well and I was getting phased out. When I started getting only a few at-bats a week, I went into the tank.”
Link

So he started not batting as well... which led to him getting only a few at-bats a week... which led to him not batting as well... because he was only getting a few at-bats a week... which meant he wasn't batting as well.

I'm happy the guy gets to go to his second-choice team, but putting too many shirts on spin cycle will break the washer.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:57:20 pm »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AofoMpFb3dgzFablGzC83Ao5nYcB?gid=270802125

Don't look now but MoBerg is 2 for 2 with a HR and 2 RBIs.  I almost hope the volatile baseball hoi polloi that constitutes the radio call-in demographic calls in with comments like "HOW DID PURPURA ONLY GET A PBTNL for ENSBERG!!!! I mean he finished 5th in the MVP voting years ago!!!!!!!!!"

No, no, I would probably rate listening to said rant right up there with sitting through a marathon of sally jesse raphael shows.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 03:59:47 pm »
No, no, I would probably rate listening to said rant right up there with sitting through a marathon of sally jesse raphael shows.

Maybe the Pads gave Mo some 'uge glasses.  All the better to see strikes with...
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

kevwun

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 04:05:41 pm »
Preston Wilson did the same thing for a little while after he went to St. Louis.  Then he went right back to being Preston Wilson.
Crazy Joe McCluskey was fucking nuts.  It's why they called him Crazy Joe.

dirty steve

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 04:11:34 pm »
could be wrong, but i think there was a stl-hou after pvt. went to stl that he had a HR, and stared at the Astros dugout with a "how dare you get rid of me" look.  maybe something about the 9 HR's in 4 months plus, but i could be wrong.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 04:16:14 pm »
could be wrong, but i think there was a stl-hou after pvt. went to stl that he had a HR, and stared at the Astros dugout with a "how dare you get rid of me" look.  maybe something about the 9 HR's in 4 months plus, but i could be wrong.

He should kiss Purpura's (allegedly) hairy beanbag.  He got a WS ring because the Astros cut him.  Perhaps he would've preferred to be at home in October when all that fun was going on?

dirty steve

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 04:18:09 pm »
He should kiss Purpura's (allegedly) hairy beanbag.  He got a WS ring because the Astros cut him.  Perhaps he would've preferred to be at home in October when all that fun was going on?
i thought the same thing.  pvt. was horrible here, was horrible after a brief spurt in stl., and backed his way into a ring.  whatever.

Mike S

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »
I still remember JJDO writing just before last season that acquiring Preston Wilson would go down as one of the smartest deals of 2006.

Ahhh, the Lackey Chron....
"Romanes eunt domus"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 04:21:35 pm »
i know baseball is a business and all that but there has to be some major grudges out there with players dropped and traded when they did not want to be. its just a part of being in the business and untill you comand enough of that magic for youself as a player that allows for the  almost magical non trade clause (the power becomes yours) then you just have to pack up and go
forever is composed entirely of nows

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 04:33:07 pm »
i know baseball is a business and all that but there has to be some major grudges out there with players dropped and traded when they did not want to be. its just a part of being in the business and untill you comand enough of that magic for youself as a player that allows for the  almost magical non trade clause (the power becomes yours) then you just have to pack up and go

I don't get the impression that Ensberg has a major grudge against the Astros. They got him back to his home.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 04:39:23 pm »
Wilson was not terrible with Houston, and they wanted to keep him but were afraid of losing Lane to a waiver claim. Little did they know.

Twoniner

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 04:46:38 pm »
Well, he just hit another one.   I'm not even going to bother looking at baseball prospectus' website for the next week or so. (insert funny comment)

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 04:54:43 pm »
i know baseball is a business and all that but there has to be some major grudges out there with players dropped and traded when they did not want to be. its just a part of being in the business and untill you comand enough of that magic for youself as a player that allows for the  almost magical non trade clause (the power becomes yours) then you just have to pack up and go

I got laid off from my first ever job.  This happened six months after the Treasurer...himself...of a major oil company...looked me in the eye and said that my job was safe as long as he was Treasurer.  He was still Treasurer when I was laid off, but he sent one of his lackeys to do it.

That, and subsequent experience has taught me that, in business, there's very few people who you can trust.  And that number is smaller than the number of people that you think you can trust.  Therefore, I do the best job I can (TZ time notwithstanding) and let the chips fall where they may.  No point in getting mad about stuff when you are choosing to do what you do.

dirty steve

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 04:56:28 pm »
I still remember JJDO writing just before last season that acquiring Preston Wilson would go down as one of the smartest deals of 2006.

Ahhh, the Lackey Chron....
i didnt think it was a BAD signing, 4-4.5 mil with the three year option.  low cost, low risk type deal.  to the best of my knowledge, wilson was (is) pull hitter, and should have done well at MMPUS.  but other than the first couple of weeks when he and Berkman seemed to HR in the same game, wilson provided almost nothing. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 05:52:27 pm »
i didnt think it was a BAD signing, 4-4.5 mil with the three year option.  low cost, low risk type deal.  to the best of my knowledge, wilson was (is) pull hitter, and should have done well at MMPUS.  but other than the first couple of weeks when he and Berkman seemed to HR in the same game, wilson provided almost nothing. 

not so.

disappointing season but "almost nothing" is not fair or correct.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »
could be wrong, but i think there was a stl-hou after pvt. went to stl that he had a HR, and stared at the Astros dugout with a "how dare you get rid of me" look. 

Well Ensberg is a lot classier than that, the only way he stares at the astros dugout, is if someone is throwing strikes out of it.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 05:54:33 pm »
Ensberg is a good person. i hope he does well.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 05:56:45 pm »
Ensberg is a good person. i hope he does well.

Exactly right. He seems like a class act. He could have been a jerk in the press after he got DFA'd, but he didn't. I hope that he comes back into form. Only a sick person would wish him poorly.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 07:28:51 pm »
Link Ended with 2 HRs...

Ensberg said he looked back at his good times and bad times in Houston. "I decided I was most successful when I was aggressive and when I swung as hard as I could. I came here with the idea that if I see the ball, I'm going to absolutely let it fly. If not, I'm going to go down in a huge ball of flames."
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
"I decided I was most successful when I was aggressive and when I swung as hard as I could. I came here with the idea that if I see the ball, I'm going to absolutely let it fly.

This is something that just came to you, Morgan?
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

TheWizard

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 07:36:33 pm »
If only he had looked to this msg board for advice.  Can't hit the ball if you don't take the bat off your shoulder, meat.

But Ensberg always did seem like a genuinely good person.  I hope he does well.
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 07:39:51 pm »

That's what you call a Pet Shop Epiphany.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 07:49:46 pm »
That's what you call a Pet Shop Epiphany.

What have I, what have I, what have I done to be successful...
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 09:13:16 am »
Well Ensberg is a lot classier than that, the only way he stares at the astros dugout, is if someone is throwing strikes out of it.

[Rimshot]

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 09:18:05 am »

I'm C.H.O.P.P.I.N.G.  I'm chopping.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 01:56:26 pm »
I'm C.H.O.P.P.I.N.G.  I'm chopping.

"No one cares, no one sympathizes
so you just stay home and play synthesizers."
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007, 02:08:48 pm »

"Since you been away....."
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 02:14:20 pm »
Am I the only one who realizes that the reason why Ensberg is hitting so good is because of San Diego's proxy to Tijuana?

tophfar

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 02:16:07 pm »
Am I the only one who realizes that the reason why Ensberg is hitting so good is because of San Diego's proxy to Tijuana?

well it is the happiest place on earth.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?