Author Topic: I wish they would quit this crap...  (Read 3653 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
I wish they would quit this crap...
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:04:22 am »
"Luke Scott, who hit a two-run double to put the Astros ahead to stay in the eighth, celebrates with Carlos Lee after the final out." <<stoopid butt-bumping pic>>

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/4774516.html

Act like you are two games below .500 because, well, you are.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: I wish they would quit this crap...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:06:37 am »
So you can't celebrate when you get a come from behind win unless you are over .500?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:07:45 am »
Lighten up Francis. It was a come-from-behind win in which both Lee and Scott delivered.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Noe

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:07:51 am »
"Luke Scott, who hit a two-run double to put the Astros ahead to stay in the eighth, celebrates with Carlos Lee after the final out." <<stoopid butt-bumping pic>>

Gee, I thought fans wanted enthusiasm?  You know, the Gunther Effect!

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:16:34 am »
Lighten up Francis. It was a come-from-behind win in which both Lee and Scott delivered.

Damn I am shocked.  That you Paul?

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 08:17:37 am »
So you can't celebrate when you get a come from behind win unless you are over .500?

My personal desire.  Bagwell would never have been caught doing that.  He would have tucked his glove under his arm and jogged into the dugout at the end of the game.  Back slapping should have taken place in the dugout at the end of the 8th (and did), this display was 20 minutes after the comeback.  This kind of butt-bumping at the end of the game smacks of those atrocious Reds hop-fests last year.  Embarassing for the Reds then.  Doubly embarassing for the Astros due to their recent history.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:37:01 am »
My hope is to see them bumping butts after the game about 100 more times in 2007.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

pravata

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:20:20 am »

Personal preference, and I agree.  And there is only personal preference between me watching this team and finding something else to do for 3 hours a night.  It's under consideration.  Less of a consideration, but still irksome, is Dunn and Berkman's playing grab ass throughout the game. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 09:56:58 am »
Damn I am shocked.  That you Paul?

My meds were adjusted. its me.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 09:59:06 am »
A more important question, why was this allowed? HP ump Jim Joyce must have a ton of patience.

I couldn't see the game, so what happened? Was he arguing balls and strikes?
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:00:13 am »
Less of a consideration, but still irksome, is Dunn and Berkman's playing grab ass throughout the game. 

That was too cute.

JD said when (I think) Lance didn't try to stretch a single it was because he was pulling up so that he could catch up with Dunn.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

pravata

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:00:39 am »
A more important question, why was this allowed? HP ump Jim Joyce must have a ton of patience.

He swung at one of Wandy's curves that bounced before the plate.  Said he tipped it.  Replays show he clearly didnt.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 10:01:59 am »

Strike 3 in the dirt, Shitbag Cockface says that he got a piece of it on a check swing so it shoulda been a foul. He wanted Joyce to get some help. Joyce told him no.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 10:12:18 am »
Strike 3 in the dirt, Shitbag Cockface says that he got a piece of it on a check swing so it shoulda been a foul. He wanted Joyce to get some help. Joyce told him no.

Then he went off on the Ump, and should've been in the showers moments later.  Narron was simply there to keep his player in the game.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Noe

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 10:17:53 am »
Then he went off on the Ump, and should've been in the showers moments later.  Narron was simply there to keep his player in the game.

Depends what he was arguing.  You get tossed on balls and strikes arguments, you won't get tossed on an argument on whether the umpire thinks you have a valid beef as to whether he should've checked with his mates on the crew as to what they saw.

To an extent mind you.  And I dislike Brandon Phillips too.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 10:26:17 am »
Depends what he was arguing.  You get tossed on balls and strikes arguments, you won't get tossed on an argument on whether the umpire thinks you have a valid beef as to whether he should've checked with his mates on the crew as to what they saw.

Narron saved him, but the play was close as to whether the bat touched the ball, but the slow motion replay reflected that the bat didn't touch the ball. It was prolly close enough to allow some jawboning without having rabbit ears.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 10:34:29 am »

My impression was that he was bitching that the HP Ump didn't ask for help on the check-swing call.  I didn't think he needed help; Big Girl's Blouse Phillips thought he did.  Phillips got very, very heated and was going off on the Ump the whole time Narron was out there.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Noe

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 10:40:23 am »
My impression was that he was bitching that the HP Ump didn't ask for help on the check-swing call.  I didn't think he needed help; Big Girl's Blouse Phillips thought he did.  Phillips got very, very heated and was going off on the Ump the whole time Narron was out there.

Yup, you won't get tossed on that because it's not a balls and strike argument.  It is whether the umpire should ask for help.  Joyce allowed him to vent because he wasn't going to change his mind nor was he going to ask for help.  Turn the situation around and let's say Phillips hits a towering fly ball down the line, well over the foul pole.  The umpire at third signals homerun.  MoBerg, however, is jumping up and down, screaming that it was foul and that the umpire should ask his crew, maybe the home plate umpire what he saw.  Third base umpire refuses and MoBerg goes ballistic.  The umpire will let him vent because he's not changing his mind.  Unless MoBerg gets violent or bumps the umpire, he won't get tossed.

Again, within an extent of reason for the argument.  Phillips vented, but never got Joyce to change his opinion nor ask for help.  That is a good trade off by the umpire.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 11:10:02 am »
Phillips got very, very heated and was going off on the Ump the whole time Narron was out there.

Very very heated?  I thought it was one of the calmer player/ump confrontations I've seen.  And no one knows what was said, but from the body language, Phillips just seemed to be making the "I tipped it, ask the 1B ump for help" argument over and over and over again.  I didn't think he was going off on the ump, just pleading his case... and it didn't seem like Joyce was saying anything or even telling him to get off the field.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Noe

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 11:13:59 am »
Very very heated?  I thought it was one of the calmer player/ump confrontations I've seen.  And no one knows what was said, but from the body language, Phillips just seemed to be making the "I tipped it, ask the 1B ump for help" argument over and over and over again.  I didn't think he was going off on the ump, just pleading his case... and it didn't seem like Joyce was saying anything or even telling him to get off the field.

Joyce is a veteran ump. He did right by all involved.  He made the call, he stood by it, he wasn't going to make a mistake by asking someone 30 feet away from the play to make a call for him, he didn't cheat the Astros from the play and he allowed Phillips to have his say.

Unless Phillips was going to say something naughty, he wasn't going to get tossed by Joyce over that.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 11:22:54 am »

He had flames coming out of his eyes and his mouth was running like Forest Gump on speed. 

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 11:24:23 am »
He had flames coming out of his eyes and his mouth was running like Forest Gump on speed. 

My bad... I don't have high def yet, must have missed that.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 11:43:44 am »
I agree with your take as I viewed it.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 11:47:44 am »
My bad... I don't have high def yet, must have missed that.

I was about 30ft away, facing Phillips.  He wasn't merely stating his side of the situation.