Author Topic: Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7  (Read 1605 times)

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 04:33:19 pm »
will go down  as one of  the most bizzare  ws in history
forever is composed entirely of nows

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 05:01:13 pm »
1998 hurt also. Not like this, though.
86 killed me, but I would have sworn we were going to the WS in '98
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 05:34:00 pm »
This season the main thing I worried about,  besides injuries,  happened: the Astros didn't play their best in the postseason.

That's what gnaws at me right now.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:16 pm »
I felt more certain the '98 team was going to win it all than I did this '19 team.  For me, the '98 outcome was truly a shocker and I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from Game 6 in '86.  I so badly wanted the World Series in '98 for Biggio and Bagwell, almost as if they were my own children.  Then there was NLDS Game 3 in '99.
Lighten up, Francis.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 11:07:55 pm »
So far first waking thought each morning has centered on the 7th inning.

I'm guessing it'll be that way for a while.

Yep. I wake up and have forgotten about it, then remember it and experience it all over again.

Think how the players themselves must feel.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 11:10:19 pm »
I posted this in the GZ aftermath, but it works here also.

Hinch’s Harris decision, imo: he trusted Harris in that situation more than Greinke. Longer history with him, Harris had an excellent season and postseason, had Ked Kendrick in key situation in DC. As Arky said, whatever Hinch did in the 7th would have been condemned by the media and the uneducated if it did not result in a victory.

I guess I’ll get over my disappointment and disbelief about G7 in time, but I am not close to there yet.

It will always be a sore spot. Just less sore with time.

If they win another one with this team, it might become less significant in context. If this team doesn't win again, it's going to stick out forever.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 01:13:46 am »
This season the main thing I worried about,  besides injuries,  happened: the Astros didn't play their best in the postseason.

Talked to a guy I didn't know before today, a Rockies fan who recognised my Astros and asked me what happened?  I just said they blew a great opportunity for another title.  His explanation, the gnats just wanted it more...  it sounds cliche maybe, but hard to argue.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 08:13:47 am »
It will always be a sore spot. Just less sore with time.

If they win another one with this team, it might become less significant in context. If this team doesn't win again, it's going to stick out forever.
This.
Up in the Air

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 08:26:02 am »

There are worse fates than not being able to beat Scherzer and Strasburg.

At least, that's what's helping me right now.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 08:35:22 am »
Talked to a guy I didn't know before today, a Rockies fan who recognised my Astros and asked me what happened?  I just said they blew a great opportunity for another title.  His explanation, the gnats just wanted it more...  it sounds cliche maybe, but hard to argue.

Bullshit.  The Nationals did not want to win more than the Astros.  That's a slap in the face to the Astros.  The difference was some balls ended up in gloves and some didn't. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 09:01:46 am »
Execution.  Luck.  Fate. 

Not effort.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:03 am »
Bullshit.  The Nationals did not want to win more than the Astros.  That's a slap in the face to the Astros.  The difference was some balls ended up in gloves and some didn't.
Right on all accounts.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:47 am »
The "x team wanted it more" is the laziest, most tired, worst take in all of sports

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 10:33:54 am »
My consolation is that I can look up at my wall and see reminders that the Astros won it all in 2017.

I can't imagine how bad Game 7 would have hurt if we didn't have that one.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 10:53:26 am »
Do I wish Hinch had left Greinke in? Yes. Did I think putting in Harris was a misteak? No. I'm so used to my Houston teams getting beat in extraordinary and disappointing fashions, that this loss wasn't that bad for me. Most of those past losses have been by the Cougars and the Oilers but the Astros and Rockets have had their share of contributions too. Washington made the plays and got the hits that they needed to win. I take my hat off to them.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 11:14:57 am »
Do I wish Hinch had left Greinke in? Yes. Did I think putting in Harris was a misteak? No. I'm so used to my Houston teams getting beat in extraordinary and disappointing fashions, that this loss wasn't that bad for me.

The late 90s/2001 postseason losses and OU's domination of Texas from 2000-2004 (especially being in the stands for 65-13) helped me learn to not get too down about sports disappointment.  An old thread from Hornfans after 65-13 - "How many remote controls have you broken watching Texas football?" - put it in perspective for me.

Since then I've been able to enjoy the highs (2006 Rose Bowl, 2017 WS) without getting ruined by the lows (2005 WS, 2010 Rose Bowl, etc.).

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 11:26:59 am »

Total bullshit. They were more fortunate in a key situation and the Astros were in theirs.

“Wanted it more” is worse than lame. It is the excuse of the clueless.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:06 am »
The late 90s/2001 postseason losses and OU's domination of Texas from 2000-2004 (especially being in the stands for 65-13) helped me learn to not get too down about sports disappointment.  An old thread from Hornfans after 65-13 - "How many remote controls have you broken watching Texas football?" - put it in perspective for me.

Since then I've been able to enjoy the highs (2006 Rose Bowl, 2017 WS) without getting ruined by the lows (2005 WS, 2010 Rose Bowl, etc.).

Regular season football games and G7 of the WS are apples and oranges to me. There is no comparison.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 11:33:20 am »
It’s not like we were 2001 Seattle or something

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 12:30:31 pm »
The WS in ‘17 has made everything over the last two seasons far more bearable. I’m still bummed but I’d be losing my shit if it weren’t for ‘17.