Author Topic: El Real  (Read 1580 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
El Real
« on: October 28, 2019, 11:15:08 am »
Closed, as of last night. 

Gone for good.  Brian Caswell said it never made enough money and he wants to focus on Reef. 

I just know that it was always busy and, on “Montrose Monday” - when locals got a 50% discount on the food - it was packed.  On Monday, the wait was 60-90 minutes and those waiting were drinking up a storm at the bar.  But they changed the deal to a 30% discount only on certain food items, and it was never anywhere near as busy again on any night. 

I have no idea of the background or the finances, but the anecdotal evidence of a sharp decline in patronage after the change to the Monday deal was clear and real.  Sad to see the place go.  I wonder what it will become now. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: El Real
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 11:46:40 am »
Caswell sounds like a mess. Meanwhile the former staff is picketing out front demanding owed wages.

I always liked that place. Glad I grabbed lunch there a few weeks back.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: El Real
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 11:54:58 am »
I really like El Real, probably eaten there at least 40 times.  I don’t think I ever went on a Monday, but the times I went, usually the weekend, it was empty. Considering that location and how much space it was, I figured this was happening at some point.  RIP
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.