Author Topic: iPods in the dugout?  (Read 2049 times)

pravata

iPods in the dugout?
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:20:32 pm »
"I'll tell you one thing," Astros pitcher Jason Jennings told ESPN.com. "It sure beats looking at videotape." The Rockies are credited with pioneering the use of iPods to look at film last season.  The Red Sox were early adopters too.  Dave Wallace may have been involved, or at least seen some of that.  Every time an Astro had a problem last season, we heard they were studying film to fix it.  Can you see a tip on that little screen? The Link

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: iPods in the dugout?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:42:03 pm »
Quote:

"I'll tell you one thing," Astros pitcher Jason Jennings told ESPN.com. "It sure beats looking at videotape." The Rockies are credited with pioneering the use of iPods to look at film last season.  The Red Sox were early adopters too.  Dave Wallace may have been involved, or at least seen some of that.  Every time an Astro had a problem last season, we heard they were studying film to fix it.  Can you see a tip on that little screen? The Link

1. "iPod" would be a decent nickname for Jennings until something better comes along.

2. This is really just an extension of the old iChisel that was popular during JimR's playing days. They'd have a coach with Bagwellian forearms who would swiftly etch important plays into a stone tablet, thus giving the team an important technological edge. In fact, there was a complicated triple play once in the Federal League where the Chiseler ran out of tablet space and had to continue engraving in the dugout floor. The marks are still visible to this day. The practice finally died out when Bedrock catcher Barney Rubble fouled 20 straight pitches into the opposing dugout and shattered an entire season's worth of archives.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 02:50:05 pm »
They were bantering about this on Baseball This Morning (XM).  Killed a lot of airtime, which they're always desperate to do during the offseason.  Come to think about it, why does that show continue to play during the off season?

And why do I listen to it?  Oh yeah, Dick Justice was on 610 this morning...

Quote:

Grab another Coke and let's die

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 03:05:33 pm »
what really put them out of business was the invention of the iChisel-A-Sketch that could be used over and over.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:10:42 pm »
Quote:

what really put them out of business was the invention of the iChisel-A-Sketch that could be used over and over.

I think they still use those in Pittsburgh.

pravata

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:54 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

1. "iPod" would be a decent nickname for Jennings until something better comes along.

Squints

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:07:54 pm »
They need iPhones.  That way, they can study flim, keep up with out of town scores and take photos of chicks in the stands to e-mail to each other.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:42:39 pm »
Quote:

They need iPhones.  That way, they can study flim, keep up with out of town scores and take photos of chicks in the stands to e-mail to each other.

Bring beaver shooting into the 21st century?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:06:34 pm »
Quote:

Bring beaver shooting into the 21st century?

Technology at work for the greater good.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

strosrays

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 10:06:49 pm »
Quote:

This is really just an extension of the old iChisel that was popular during JimR's playing days. They'd have a coach with Bagwellian forearms who would swiftly etch important plays into a stone tablet, thus giving the team an important technological edge. In fact, there was a complicated triple play once in the Federal League where the Chiseler ran out of tablet space and had to continue engraving in the dugout floor. The marks are still visible to this day. The practice finally died out when Bedrock catcher Barney Rubble fouled 20 straight pitches into the opposing dugout and shattered an entire season's worth of archives.

The owner, name of something McSlate I believe, was a cheap-ass tight-wad even back then, and wouldn't even open his brontosaurus-skin wallet enough to purchase replacement tablets.  Damn 'neck.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:58 pm »
would like to see their play list.. you have to wonder what some of the music would be .. or maybe not something might be better left unknown..but i had the thought maybe they could put subliminal messages in mobergs ear .. the bat is my friend. the ball must leave the park
forever is composed entirely of nows

strosrays

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:12:28 am »
Quote:

would like to see their play list.. you have to wonder what some of the music would be .. or maybe not something might be better left unknown..but i had the thought maybe they could put subliminal messages in mobergs ear .. the bat is my friend. the ball must leave the park

"She Kissed Me And It Felt Like A Hit"

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:16:23 am »
Quote:

Quote:

"She Kissed Me And It Felt Like A Hit"

"Hollywood Swinging"?

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 03:09:49 pm »
Didn't Manny Ramirez use a pair of MP3-player sunglasses during a game once?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:27:17 pm »
Quote:

Didn't Manny Ramirez use a pair of MP3-player sunglasses during a game once?

In July 2005.

The official statement from the club was that "there were no batteries in the glasses."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."