Author Topic: Mike Capps  (Read 2643 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Mike Capps
« on: December 29, 2006, 03:49:57 pm »
as posted by Greg D elsewhere on the site, Mike won the Minor League Broadcaster of the Year award. congratulations to a great friend who is one helluva broadcaster. he should be in Houston.

Mike is a regular lurker here so he'll read anything you want to add.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

No? in Austin

Re: Mike Capps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:53:32 pm »
Quote:

as posted by Greg D elsewhere on the site, Mike won the Minor League Broadcaster of the Year award. congratulations to a great friend who is one helluva broadcaster. he should be in Houston.

Excellent!  Well deserved award to a really great broadcaster.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:32:15 pm »
Quote:

When you listen to Capps, you feel like you're listening to a real baseball broadcaster.  I agree with you--he would have done a fine job for Houston.
Purity of Essence

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 05:26:11 pm »
I really appreciate the job Mike Capps does for the RR Express. He keeps the listener well informed, has a good voice, smooth delivery, and unlike Milo, is never phoney, cheesy, goofy, or buffoonish. I was as dissappointed that he didn't get the opportunity to replace Ashby as I was that Ashby was let go. Nothing against the new guys, they've grown on me, but they didn't deserve the job, Mike did.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Greg D

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:03:15 pm »
Quote:

Indeed, congrats to Mike.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 06:45:18 pm »
he was supposed to replace Milo and work with Ashby. instead, neither one got the 2006 job.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

ValpoCory

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 10:28:51 pm »
Great to hear.  I also enjoy listening to him.  I like how he doesn't have a myopic view of baseball to just the minors.  He understands the listeners want to hear MLB score updates, and you can tell he is a fan of major league baseball in addition to minor league ball.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 07:48:15 pm »
Mike's a great broadcaster.  Well deserved.  Congratulations!
Lighten up, Francis.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36:35 am »
Good to hear, and congratulations.  When I flip on the Express game, I'm starting to get the same feeling I used to get as a kid when I heard Gene, and then Milo open up their broadcasts for the Astros.  Capps voice to me is starting to trigger the sites and souds of Spring the way those two did, and I hope he stays with the Express until he does get the gig in Houston becuase it would be nice for my sons to have a "voice" of baseball to hold on to for a while.

Don

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:53 pm »
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but is it possible to hear Express games on the radio in Houston?

I've never heard one, but I never really looked that hard either.
To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

No? in Austin

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 01:55:41 pm »
Quote:

Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but is it possible to hear Express games on the radio in Houston?

I've never heard one, but I never really looked that hard either.

You can listen online:

The Link

Click on the "listen live" button in the Gamecenter block.  You can also watch home games (some of them) and hear Capp's radio broadcast simulcast at times.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:58:44 pm »
I have never heard Capps, but I too wish he was in Houston as the current Trifecta of Idiocy (Milo + Brett&Dave) absolutely SUCKS.

Milo is above announcing things like the score and what is going on in the field of play, and the other to monotone dolts cant even get our players names right.

How does a MAJOR League Baseball team end up with such horsechit in the booth?   Did Drayton catch this Capps fellow, you folks speak so highly of, dancing or fornicating or something?  

Thank goodness for Brown and Deshaies, who are the proverbial Ying, to the Yang of the other douchebags.

Happy New Year!
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 05:56:20 pm »
Quote:

I have never heard Capps, but I too wish he was in Houston as the current Trifecta of Idiocy (Milo + Brett&Dave) absolutely SUCKS.

Milo is above announcing things like the score and what is going on in the field of play, and the other to monotone dolts cant even get our players names right.

How does a MAJOR League Baseball team end up with such horsechit in the booth?   Did Drayton catch this Capps fellow, you folks speak so highly of, dancing or fornicating or something?  

Thank goodness for Brown and Deshaies, who are the proverbial Ying, to the Yang of the other douchebags.

Happy New Year!

Yang is the positive, yin is the negative, so you might want to reverse that.