Author Topic: This just in...  (Read 2089 times)

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
This just in...
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:08:38 pm »
The Link

SOMEBODY gets it! Holy cow!
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

TangerineDream

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: This just in...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:38:34 pm »
Wow, I think I just messed my pants. The national sports media figuring out the real deal? Must have read Alyson's mailbag! Or maybe the machinations of Boras, Hendricks et al have become so transparent that not even the national sports media can overlook them anymore.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:21:12 am »
Quote:

Wow, I think I just messed my pants. The national sports media figuring out the real deal? Must have read Alyson's mailbag! Or maybe the machinations of Boras, Hendricks et al have become so transparent that not even the national sports media can overlook them anymore.

Haven't the Astros just sloughed off all their remaining Team Bastard and Boras clients this week?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 11:23:05 am »
Quote:

and when he left the Bronx the first time, following the '03 season, he did so with bruised feelings because the Yankees appeared disinterested in bringing him back.

Yeah, I was hoping somebody would bring that up. Time (plus an option year) heals all wounds I guess.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 11:31:57 am »
If you want some real laughs... Check out the comments secion and read every hipster-jackass Yankee fan calling the writer a Yankee-hater, in all caps.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 11:51:33 am »
Quote:

If you want some real laughs... Check out the comments secion and read every hipster-jackass Yankee fan calling the writer a Yankee-hater, in all caps.

I think Sportsline has some of the best articles.  I tend to avoid the reader comments section.  The only thing worse than reading the comments of other teams' lamebrains is reading those of your team.
Strikeout Machine

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 05:24:41 pm »
Won't post the link, as it's PPV...but Kieth Law for ESPN wrote a pretty good article regarding the Jennings trade.  Who knows if the general opinion's been correct or Law, but I know I haven't read another article from the public like it.  Paraphrasing...here's a little of what he had to say:

Jennings won't replace Pettitte's ceiling as a pitcher, but he's solid and will eat up innings.

Rockies traded for quanity rather than quality.

WillyT - all D, not bat

Hirsh - 4th or 5th type starter with a hittable fastball.

Buchholz - future is probably as a reliever - big injury risk.

Jennings helps, but Stros are still one starter short.

He's shocked that another team didn't offer a better prospect than Hirsh.

It's obvious that Law isn't extremely high on anything that the Astros gave up in the Jennings deal.  Nice to see that Pup's not the only crazy out there.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:08:31 pm »
I read that and didn't post it for the same reason you only posted an excerpt.  I'm on the fence regarding Law, as a whole, but so far his breakdowns for the FA signings have been fair.  The one thing I thought he completely overlooked involved Pettitte.  He really didn't place any emphasis on the elbow issue.  It's a nit, and at the time I was semi-pissed about Pettitte going back to the Yankees.  

In all fairness, he's pitched thru that problem before.  There's a high probability that it will bother him but won't effect him significantly.  At least, not as much as facing those AL East lineups start after start. Will that hurt the Yankees?  Probably not, their bullpen rounded into pretty nice shape after a while.  Odds are, those pricks really improved their post-season chances by signing Pettitte.  That, more than anything, really chaps my ass.  I've grown accustomed, and quite pleased, at the 200mil regular season juggernaut getting knocked out in the first round.  I will be highly displeased if those peckers advance.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 06:26:21 pm »
Quote:

I read that and didn't post it for the same reason you only posted an excerpt.  I'm on the fence regarding Law, as a whole, but so far his breakdowns for the FA signings have been fair.  The one thing I thought he completely overlooked involved Pettitte.  He really didn't place any emphasis on the elbow issue.  It's a nit, and at the time I was semi-pissed about Pettitte going back to the Yankees.  

In all fairness, he's pitched thru that problem before.  There's a high probability that it will bother him but won't effect him significantly.  At least, not as much as facing those AL East lineups start after start. Will that hurt the Yankees?  Probably not, their bullpen rounded into pretty nice shape after a while.  Odds are, those pricks really improved their post-season chances by signing Pettitte.  That, more than anything, really chaps my ass.  I've grown accustomed, and quite pleased, at the 200mil regular season juggernaut getting knocked out in the first round.  I will be highly displeased if those peckers advance.

Yes, I agree with you about Law not discussing Pettitte's elbow problems...that said, the main reason I posted was to show his opinion regarding the players we sent to COL.  His opinion was not that high on any of them and he was actually suprised that someone didn't offer more than we did for Jennings.  Many posters around here have been critical of the players we gave up...in some instances saying we should've got a better pitcher in return or been able to give up less.  Obviously Pup isn't the only one that thinks Hirsh isn't the next coming of Roy Oswalt...or Taveras the next Lofton, etc.  Nice to read, that's all.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 09:23:37 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I agree with you about Law not discussing Pettitte's elbow problems...that said, the main reason I posted was to show his opinion regarding the players we sent to COL.  His opinion was not that high on any of them and he was actually suprised that someone didn't offer more than we did for Jennings.  Many posters around here have been critical of the players we gave up...in some instances saying we should've got a better pitcher in return or been able to give up less.  Obviously Pup isn't the only one that thinks Hirsh isn't the next coming of Roy Oswalt...or Taveras the next Lofton, etc.  Nice to read, that's all.

Agreed.  Interesting what a non-Astro fan said about the Astros players in that deal.  I think the fairest way to sum it up is that Willy was the most proven and Hirsh and Buchholtz are still serious question marks, as far as what they'll produce.  The more I've read about Hirsh the better I feel about the trade.  At best, he'll be Jason Jennings in 3 yrs.  The Astros aren't interested in waiting 3 yrs.  Buchholtz may have more upside but I don't see what he's done in the majors that indicates he's going to be league average or better in the next couple years or less.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:00:35 pm »
Why am I not surprised? Scott Miller is one of the few baseball writers I can stand.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit