Author Topic: Dinner in Austin (non-bb)  (Read 6136 times)

CarolinaStro

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Dinner in Austin (non-bb)
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:07:22 pm »
I will be taking a whirlwind business trip through the great state of Texas next week (Dallas, Austin, & Houston).  I have been to Dallas and Houston but this will be my first time in Austin.  I was wondering if anyone would mind recommending a unique (to the area) place to have dinner.  A casual place would be fine and actually preferred.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner in Austin (non-bb)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:02 pm »
What area of Austin will you be in...and will you be walking, taxi, or rent car?

Random

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:38 pm »
Z Tejas on west 6th or Shady Grove on Barton Springs.

I've always though Shady Grove had the old laid back Austin vibe to it while Z Tejas was more representative of the new Austin.  I'd go to Shady Grove, personally.

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 04:25:01 pm »
Quote:

I will be taking a whirlwind business trip through the great state of Texas next week (Dallas, Austin, & Houston).  I have been to Dallas and Houston but this will be my first time in Austin.  I was wondering if anyone would mind recommending a unique (to the area) place to have dinner.  A casual place would be fine and actually preferred.

I love Curra's, either the one down south or the one on Burnet in North Central.  I haven't been to the new one further north.  Great food and laid back atmosphere.  It's called interior Mexican, but it's pretty much fancy Tex Mex.

If you want to go fancier and spend a lot of money, go to either Fonda San Miguel (Mexican, North Central) or Castle Hill Cafe (Continental?, downtown).

You can find the Austin Chronicle Restaurant Guide  here and its most recent rankings  here .
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:27:47 pm »
Quote:

A lot of folks like the South Congress area.  Most every restaurant in Austin is "casual" but some are more expensive than others and that is certainly true in that interesting part of town.  "Guero's" and "Vespaio" are within a block of each other.  One is Tex-Mex, the other Eye-talian.  At either of these venues you'll enjoy good eats, see some interesting scenery, and can fire away at the injustices of the world as we know it.  Ask for the "Clinton" table at Guero's (it's purported to be his favorite restaurant in Austin).  I've eaten at it several times and have yet to find a stain.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:34:58 pm »
Guero's sucks unless your taste in Tex-Mex is "trendy." lots of better places to eat that kind of food, but there won't be any Clinton tables.

try Joe's Bakery on E.7th or Habanero's on Oltorf or El Rancho on S. Lamar
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

CarolinaStro

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:50:44 pm »
Quote:

What area of Austin will you be in...and will you be walking, taxi, or rent car?

I will have a car.  My hotel is 3 miles south of downtown on Governor's Row but with the car I guess that isn't a limitation.

Again. thanks for all the ideas.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:52:33 pm »
Be a real tourist: Go to Chuy's and have a watered down margarita for each of the Bush twins.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:34 pm »
and after the drinks you are not seeing things the totillas are blue
forever is composed entirely of nows

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 05:35:31 pm »
The Link

This is a nice restaurant review website for Austin. I have yet to be disappointed by his picks.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 05:50:46 pm »
yep, Rob is good.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 06:23:04 pm »
I'll second Shady Grove, but I prefer Polvo's on S. First to Curras for Aus-Mex.  Bigger portions and better salsa.
Try Los Manitas on Congress for breakfast and great Austin mojo.  Also El Sol Y La Luna, on S. Congress is wonderful.  
RO RASROS!

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 06:27:36 pm »
Second that...Guero's sucks, but you get to pay extra for it!

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:20:44 pm »
Matt's El Rancho for the Chile Rellenos is relatively inexpensive, and an Austin institution.  Fonda (?) San Miguel and Jeffries are great but expensive, and both are also Austin institutions.  There are a bunch of really good breakfast places in Austin.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 11:43:42 pm »
Quote:

Z Tejas on west 6th or Shady Grove on Barton Springs.

I've always though Shady Grove had the old laid back Austin vibe to it while Z Tejas was more representative of the new Austin.  I'd go to Shady Grove, personally.

Another vote for Shady Grove - their grilled chipotle buffalo wings can't be beat.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 12:11:06 am »
I second a lot of what's been said already, but skip Shady Grove this time unless it warms up before you get in. There's not a better place in the world when it's warm and sunny, but it loses a lot in the translation when it's windy, cold, and there are no leaves on the oak.

From where you are, it's an easy drive to Matt's El Rancho, which a couple of folks have mentioned. If you have a minute for breakfast (or if you find yourself up late), Kerbey Lane is right across the street from Matt's. Try the Paris, TX plate... french toast and migas. Lord, that sounds good right now. Any of the Maudie's are generally good for cheap tex-mex, there's one on S. Lamar. Shoreline Grill on Town Lake is nice if you're looking for something spendy. I've also heard very good things about Roy's (Hawaiian fusion) downtown, but I haven't been there.

One of the very best ways to east in Austin (IMHO) is always the Alamo Drafthouse. Above average grub served in a movie theater with a good selection of libations. The S. Lamar and downtown locations are fairly close. You can  check out movie listings and menu here.

And do avoid Guero's.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 01:39:09 am »
1)If your up for a little drive, the Salt Lick located south of Austin in Driftwood, has the best damned BBQ anywhere (in my opinion).  But make sure to bring your own beer since the county is dry.  Also, bring cash, they don't take credit cards.
2)Another uniquely Austin eatery to check out is Hudson's on the Bend.  The restaraunt is a little pricey but the food is out of this world.  The menu features dishes including venison, boar, and quail.
3)If your into seafood (yes you can get good seafood in Austin) check out Eddie V's Edgewater Grill.
4)If you want a really casual dining experience, try Katz's Deli on 6th street.  This is an authentic New York Delicatessen.
5)For tex mex, nothing beats Matt's El Rancho.  Although I am a big fan of the Chicken Mole Enchiladas at Guero's Taco Bar.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 01:39:11 am »
If you wanna brave east of I-35 try El Azteca, and buy one of the cool calendars. Or Genos, or Arky's for lunch.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 02:03:04 am »
I thought of a couple more eateries worth mentioning.
1) The Boiling Pot on 6th serves up cajun style seafood.  They poor the food out onto butcher paper on the table and you eat the spicy seafood mixed with potatos and corn with your hands.
2) Hut's on 6th makes some of the best Hamburgers in town.
3) Amy's Ice Cream on 6th is pretty much an Austin landmark.  Try the Mexican Vanilla.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 02:30:45 pm »
Whatever happened to the Magic Time Machine? I think it was on Riverside. I took a hot prom date there once. Many, many years ago. Baby Huey waited on us, which seemed strange because we were sitting in a teepee.

Anyone remember that place? I thought the atmosphere was great, very unique, But I don't remember the food.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 02:37:19 pm »
Quote:

Whatever happened to the Magic Time Machine? I think it was on Riverside. I took a hot prom date there once. Many, many years ago. Baby Huey waited on us, which seemed strange because we were sitting in a teepee.

Anyone remember that place? I thought the atmosphere was great, very unique, But I don't remember the food.

Food was not wonderful, but that wasn't why you went there in the first place.  It's long gone now.  Now it's a Landry's or a Joe's Crab Shack or something like that.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

loganck

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 02:37:32 pm »
Quote:

I went there a few times as a kid.  I can't remember the food, just that the waitstaff made a huge deal about anyone asking where the bathroom was.  It was pretty funny.
It's a Joe's Crab Shack now.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 03:39:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I went there a few times as a kid.  I can't remember the food, just that the waitstaff made a huge deal about anyone asking where the bathroom was.  It was pretty funny.
It's a Joe's Crab Shack now.

There is still one in San Antonio (we were served by the Dread Pirate Roberts, heh), though. And supposedly one in Dallas, as well. I remember going to the one in Austin in high school, when I was in town for state UIL competitions. Good goofy times.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 03:53:27 pm »
Quote:

1)If your up for a little drive, the Salt Lick located south of Austin in Driftwood, has the best damned BBQ anywhere (in my opinion).  But make sure to bring your own beer since the county is dry.  Also, bring cash, they don't take credit cards.

There is a Salt Lick on 360 now.  Saw it a couple of weeks ago.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 03:56:46 pm »
Quote:

I remember going to the one in Austin in high school, when I was in town for state UIL competitions. Good goofy times.

I miraciously won the Cen-Tex regional title in feature writing and qualified for UIL state in the late 70's. Our "team" consisted of myself, a slide rule nerd and our young, single journalism teacher. Good times. I always felt like a fish out of water because I was (supposed to be) an athlete.

I got smoked at state, ending my journalism career.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 03:58:36 pm »
Quote:

2)Another uniquely Austin eatery to check out is Hudson's on the Bend.  The restaraunt is a little pricey but the food is out of this world.  The menu features dishes including venison, boar, and quail.
3)If your into seafood (yes you can get good seafood in Austin) check out Eddie V's Edgewater Grill.
4)If you want a really casual dining experience, try Katz's Deli on 6th street.  This is an authentic New York Delicatessen.
5)For tex mex, nothing beats Matt's El Rancho.  Although I am a big fan of the Chicken Mole Enchiladas at Guero's Taco Bar.

Hays County ain't dry--Salt Lick doesn't have a license.  The 360 location imports bbq from Driftwood, but serves other stuff consistent with its customer base of Westlake area moms.
Purity of Essence

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 04:22:33 pm »
Quote:

Hays County ain't dry--Salt Lick doesn't have a license.  The 360 location imports bbq from Driftwood, but serves other stuff consistent with its customer base of Westlake area moms.

My bad, I thought I read somewhere that that area of the county was dry.  There is also a Salt Lick, Matt's El Rancho, and Amy's Ice Cream in the Airport.  I always time my outgoing flights to leave around lunch time so I can get some BBQ, Shiner, and some ice cream before I leave.

Edit: According to the The Salt Lick Web Page the county is in fact dry.  I knew I read that somewhere.
Quote:

...bring your own alcoholic beverages, because Hays County is dry

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 04:28:32 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I thought a lot of Hays county was dry.  I thought the city of San Marcos was excluded.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 04:31:26 pm »
Quote:

I thought a lot of Hays county was dry.  I thought the city of San Marcos was excluded.

You are correct.  Hays county is dry and San Marcos is excluded.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 04:31:46 pm »
I plead ignorance regarding part of Hays County being dry.  Thanks for setting the record straight.
Purity of Essence

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 05:00:12 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Salt Lick 360 is shit.  I will just assume that was your implication with "consistent with its customer base of Westlake area moms."

I'm not a huge fan of Salt Lick BBQ.  It's decent, but there is much better, much closer.  If you're going to Driftwood, you go for two reasons and two reasons only:

1) It's all you can eat.
2) It's BYOB
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 05:11:32 pm »
Yes.
Ever try John Mueller's on 51st?  Pretty creditable.  Speaking of barbecue, I'm meeting some guys at Luling City Market on Friday and I'm not sure if I can hold out until then.
Purity of Essence

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 05:48:26 pm »
Quote:

Yes.
Ever try John Mueller's on 51st?  Pretty creditable.  Speaking of barbecue, I'm meeting some guys at Luling City Market on Friday and I'm not sure if I can hold out until then.

Yeah, excellent stuff.  You have to get there by like 1 on Sat and Sun or they sell out.

World's Best BBQ on Burnet went out of business a few years ago.  They were really good.  A couple of other joints have opened in the same place but haven't been nearly as good.  I was a little disappointed in Sam's on E 12th, but I think it gets bonus points for staying open until 3 am or whatever.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 06:13:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Yeah, excellent stuff.  You have to get there by like 1 on Sat and Sun or they sell out.

World's Best BBQ on Burnet went out of business a few years ago.  They were really good.  A couple of other joints have opened in the same place but haven't been nearly as good.  I was a little disappointed in Sam's on E 12th, but I think it gets bonus points for staying open until 3 am or whatever.

Agree on Sam's.  I think a lot of people like it because it makes them feel like they "discovered" a dive--but it's not that great.  Have you been over to Kruetz' or Smitty's in Lockhart lately?
Purity of Essence

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 06:26:34 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

I've gone to Luling City Market for years, off and on, but recently went for the first time on Saturday at about 4 or so.  The line was the longest I'd ever seen.  Apparently lotsa locals show up late Saturday to get Saturday night dinner.  

The Salt Lick doesn't take credit, by the way, but I always liked it.  Good pie.

The best barbecue, I think, is from Lockhart.  It's better even than Luling.  Giddings has a good place too, right in downtown.

What's the name of the breakfast place on 1st street, across from the swimming pool?  And what's the name of the pool?  Damn.

I recently discovered that Sweetish Hill does still make bear claws, but only on Fri Sat Sun.  That seemed incredibly important to me.  Cisco's Bakery is also still excellent for breakfast.

I useta like the Ironworks barbecue, but haven't been there in 30 years.  It's still open, though.  Any good?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:58 pm »
Quote:

Agree on Sam's.  I think a lot of people like it because it makes them feel like they "discovered" a dive--but it's not that great.  Have you been over to Kruetz' or Smitty's in Lockhart lately?

I may get smoked for this, but I think Rudy's delivers pretty good bang for the buck.  The barbecue in Lockhart is better, but you do have to go to Lockhart to get it.  Odds are pretty good that there's a Rudy's within 15 minutes of wherever you are.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 06:46:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I may get smoked for this, but I think Rudy's delivers pretty good bang for the buck.  The barbecue in Lockhart is better, but you do have to go to Lockhart to get it.  Odds are pretty good that there's a Rudy's within 15 minutes of wherever you are.

Rudy's is not Kreutz', but it will certainly do.

Ironworks was very good the last time I went.  As for barbecue, you tend to get spoiled living in Central Texas-- mediocre places here would be considered real good in other parts of the world.  Another nice trip is to take a Saturday drive to Llano and stop by Cooper's.  When they open the pit there, it is a thing of beauty to behold.
Purity of Essence

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 06:50:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

I've gone to Luling City Market for years, off and on, but recently went for the first time on Saturday at about 4 or so.  The line was the longest I'd ever seen.  Apparently lotsa locals show up late Saturday to get Saturday night dinner.  

The Salt Lick doesn't take credit, by the way, but I always liked it.  Good pie.

The best barbecue, I think, is from Lockhart.  It's better even than Luling.  Giddings has a good place too, right in downtown.

What's the name of the breakfast place on 1st street, across from the swimming pool?  And what's the name of the pool?  Damn.

I recently discovered that Sweetish Hill does still make bear claws, but only on Fri Sat Sun.  That seemed incredibly important to me.  Cisco's Bakery is also still excellent for breakfast.

I useta like the Ironworks barbecue, but haven't been there in 30 years.  It's still open, though.  Any good?

You're either talking about Deep Eddy or Barton Springs.  Magnolia Cafe is across the street from Deep Eddy.  I don't know that there is anything across the street from Barton Springs other than Zilker Park.  Down the road a bit is Chuy's, Shady Grove, Romeo's, etc.

Rudy's makes excellent birds, chicken and turkey.  Their ribs and sausage are OK.  I don't really like their brisket.  For the convenience factor they are great.

I ate at Smitty's in the spring.  It was pretty good.  Cooper's is great, as well.  Haven't been to Luling.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »
Quote:

As long as we're flogging our equally invalid opinions:

1) Salt Lick used to be the absolute best but is running on reputation ... too crowded and too touristy these days (plus the aforementioned beer & credit card problem ... they do have a $2/withdrawal private ATM on site, though).  Instead, try Rudy's for the best sauce and either Rudy;s or Poke-e-joes for the brisket.

2)  Hudson's on the Bend is a great $30/plate restaurant ... that charges $40+.  It is pretty uniquely Austin, though, so if your wallet can handle it, go for it!

3)  Eddie V's is great for Seafood, but the seafood entree's at Zoot's are as good or better.  And they have a better winelist and a more service-oriented wait-staff.

4) If you really want New York food, don't come to Austin to get it (I recommend Stages on 7th Ave at 54th).  For an Austin casual joint, the best bets are Hyde Park Bar & Grill (fries to die for ... which will probably be the exact result with too frequent consumption) or Magnolia Cafe (breakfast 24 hours; best omellete selection in town, and the other stuff is great, too).

5) Matt's is another one surviving largely on reputation.  For a more authentic tex-mex that still is all about the food, try Angie's on E. 7th.  Maudie's (with the exception of the imposter in Davenport Village) is also a uniquely Austin establishment ... enchiladas & margaritas in a laundramat parking lot, and usually someone at least locally famous there acting locally anonymous ... who could ask for anything more?.

And in response to a couple of other posts:

Fonda San Miguel -- Best chicken mole enchiladas on the planet ... great interior mexican food with a real chef (and chef-like prices) ... possiblky the best margaritas in town.

Guerro's -- just say no.

Rob's website -- everybody he raves about also buys advertising on his radio show.  Follow the money.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 06:53:54 pm »
Quote:

You're dating yourself here ... hope that does not apply to the original experience, too.  It was Landry's the last time I noticed as I drove by without even ther least temptation to stop.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 06:56:12 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

There is a Salt Lick on 360 now.  Saw it a couple of weeks ago.

That's the drug-store cowboy version ... all hat and no cows.  Like the other Davenport Village incarnations of Austin eateries, you're better off to get out of the neighborhood more.  Thistle cafe is probably an exception ... it actually fits in that neighborhood (and has great salads and other yuppie food).
Up in the Air

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 06:56:37 pm »
well, since we're bs'ing about bbq.  A few months ago, my wife and I were head to "The Texas Barbecue Festival".  This was basically about five or six Central Texas bbq joints (none particularly good, but we didn't know that at the time) setting up shop in a parking lot and selling samples.  My wife, four months pregnant at the time, was commenting that she should start being able to feel the baby kick soon.  She also said, "I don't know if the baby and I are really in the mood for barbecue."  All of a sudden she sits straight up.  

"What happened?"

"As soon as I said that the baby kicked the crap out of me."

Not that I needed proof or was worried, but it's good to know that the baby is DEFINITELY mine.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 06:57:14 pm »
Quote:

I ate there this past Friday after visiting the Austin Auto Show.  It was good.  The building looks like it could fall down at any moment.

I'm pretty loyal to the Salt Lick though.  It was one of the first BBQ joints I ate at when I came to UT.  I was pledging a frat and the frat took all of the pledges to the Salt Lick for dinner and they brought a keg.  I still don't remember much about that night but I do remember that the food was pretty damn good.  I was wearing a good bit of it still the next morning.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 06:57:14 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rudy's is not Kreutz', but it will certainly do.

Ironworks was very good the last time I went.  As for barbecue, you tend to get spoiled living in Central Texas-- mediocre places here would be considered real good in other parts of the world.  Another nice trip is to take a Saturday drive to Llano and stop by Cooper's.  When they open the pit there, it is a thing of beauty to behold.

I have never had barbeque that compares to Cooper's. There's one in Mason too, if you find yourself over that way. One sells beer and one doesn't, I can never remember which.

ETA: All this barbeque talk is starting to get my blood up. Anyone know a decent place around Beaumont? I've got to say, I'm not too taken with the East Texas tendency to drown the meat in sweet sauce. I greatly prefer the Central Texas style: just the meat, some spices, and an unobtrusive mop.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 06:59:31 pm »
Quote:

Yes and Yes!
Up in the Air

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 07:03:30 pm »
Quote:

You're dating yourself here ... hope that does not apply to the original experience, too.  It was Landry's the last time I noticed as I drove by without even ther least temptation to stop.

Yep, I'm an old, grouchy bastard.

I suppose you're going to tell me that Oat Willie's, The Armadillo, the Backroom, and the Filling Station are gone, too?

Other than the TZ softball game, I haven't been out and about in Austin in 20+ years. I guess it shows.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2006, 07:05:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, I'm an old, grouchy bastard.

I suppose you're going to tell me that Oat Willie's, The Armadillo, the Backroom, and the Filling Station are gone, too?

Other than the TZ softball game, I haven't been out and about in Austin in 20+ years. I guess it shows.

Now the Filling Station would have made this list for sure!  Sandy's is still there down the street and usually has a line waiting for choclate shakes ... unfortunately, I eventually graduated to margaritas.
Up in the Air

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2006, 07:15:12 pm »
Quote:

Now the Filling Station would have made this list for sure!  

Yeah well, I was on a liquid diet in those days. Food was just an absorbing agent.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2006, 08:04:17 pm »
Rudy's is good for a multiple location joint. They even got 'em now in College Station and Waco. Louie Mueller's in Taylor is better than any place Lockhart or Luling. But the coolest, funkiest place is Cele's Store in the boondocks east of Pflugerville at the corner of Cele Rd and Cameron Rd, I think they only open on Friday nights and Saturday 'til they sell out. Oh yeah, if you want baby back ribs, you can't beat Artz.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:06 pm »
Quote:

3)  Eddie V's is great for Seafood, but the seafood entree's at Zoot's are as good or better.  And they have a better winelist and a more service-oriented wait-staff.

If you're going out for a nice dinner, Zoot's is tremendous.  It's moderately pricey, but worth it. Here's a  link.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2006, 08:48:30 pm »
Quote:

Rudy's is good for a multiple location joint. They even got 'em now in College Station and Waco. Louie Mueller's in Taylor is better than any place Lockhart or Luling. But the coolest, funkiest place is Cele's Store in the boondocks east of Pflugerville at the corner of Cele Rd and Cameron Rd, I think they only open on Friday nights and Saturday 'til they sell out. Oh yeah, if you want baby back ribs, you can't beat Artz.

Damn, how'd I forget about Artz.  I haven't had the baby back style, but the country style (almost a mini pork chop) are just freakin' awesome.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2006, 10:57:16 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

You're either talking about Deep Eddy or Barton Springs.  Magnolia Cafe is across the street from Deep Eddy.  I don't know that there is anything across the street from Barton Springs other than Zilker Park.  Down the road a bit is Chuy's, Shady Grove, Romeo's, etc.

Rudy's makes excellent birds, chicken and turkey.  Their ribs and sausage are OK.  I don't really like their brisket.  For the convenience factor they are great.

I ate at Smitty's in the spring.  It was pretty good.  Cooper's is great, as well.  Haven't been to Luling.

Deep Eddy.  Magnolia Cafe.  Magnolia Cafe was the closest place I've been to Austin slacker society since I left it.  I've only been there once, but for breakfast I liked it.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2006, 11:02:21 pm »
Quote:

well, since we're bs'ing about bbq.  A few months ago, my wife and I were head to "The Texas Barbecue Festival".  This was basically about five or six Central Texas bbq joints (none particularly good, but we didn't know that at the time) setting up shop in a parking lot and selling samples.  My wife, four months pregnant at the time, was commenting that she should start being able to feel the baby kick soon.  She also said, "I don't know if the baby and I are really in the mood for barbecue."  All of a sudden she sits straight up.  

"What happened?"

Not that I needed proof or was worried, but it's good to know that the baby is DEFINITELY mine.

good storym and I want mention that lotsa Texas males like barbeque.

By the way, you're a rice alum, right?  Are you going to Nawlins?

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2006, 10:29:31 am »
Quote:

Quote:

"What happened?"

good storym and I want mention that lotsa Texas males like barbeque.

By the way, you're a rice alum, right?  Are you going to Nawlins?

Details.

I am not, but wish I was.  My family is from Alabama and we already had plane tickets (non-refundable, of course) to fly back there on Sat morning (Friday night game).  I'm kicking myself, because I could have easily used NO as a stopover on the way there.  Hopefully Coach Graham will continue the improvement and I'll get a second chance next year.