Author Topic: Purpura interview on MLB radio  (Read 6320 times)

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Purpura interview on MLB radio
« on: November 28, 2006, 07:10:52 pm »
The Link

Click on the audio link below "Sights and Sounds" near the bottom of the page.

Purpura talks about the Carlos Lee signing, the need for Lane and Ensberg to not suck, the Pettitte situation, the high interest from other teams looking for bullpen arms, and DQ.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Purpura interview on MLB radio
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:39:55 pm »
Quote:

The Link

Click on the audio link below "Sights and Sounds" near the bottom of the page.

Purpura talks about the Carlos Lee signing, the need for Lane and Ensberg to not suck, the Pettitte situation, the high interest from other teams looking for bullpen arms, and DQ.

My knee jerk reactions:
Lamb could very well be the full-time starting 3bman come April. Purp didn't sound like he had much confidence in Ensberg.  
Lane could very well be the starting RF come April.  When discussing Lee's impact on other bats the first name that rolled off his tongue wasn't Biggio or Ensberg or even Berkman.  It was Jason Fucking Lane.  I don't get Purp's obsession with Lane, but it seems real to me. He did modify that by throwing out whatever their (Lane and Ensberg) role may be, but it sounded like he threw that out there after the fact.  He also said specifically that Lane would have to earn his spot. He did not make one mention of Scott.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:55:51 pm »
Quote:

It was Jason Fucking Lane.  I don't get Purp's obsession with Lane, but it seems real to me.

It completely baffles me that a team serious about contending would even consider a RF'er who hits .201.
Lighten up, Francis.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:04:56 pm »
Quote:

It completely baffles me that a team serious about contending would even consider a RF'er who hits .201.

I'm sure they won't stick with him long if he continues to hit .201.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 08:07:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

What struck me most was that he brought up Lane's name more than once but never spoke of Scott.  I'm beginning to wonder if Scott won't be dealt.  Then again I could be overreacting. Boredom'll do that to me.
Goin' for a bus ride.

ASTROCREEP

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:26:41 pm »
What about Lanes 288 at-bats and Scott's 214 abs would tell ANYONE that Lane should start over Scott.

Maybe be Lane is a better oufielder, but is he really that much better?
Chuck Norris once ate three 72 oz. steaks in one hour. He spent the first 45 minutes having sex with his waitress.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 08:27:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What struck me most was that he brought up Lane's name more than once but never spoke of Scott.  I'm beginning to wonder if Scott won't be dealt.  Then again I could be overreacting. Boredom'll do that to me.

I hope Scott is dealt before he's placed on the bench or sent back to AAA.  At the very least he earned at least a platoon role next season based on last year's performance.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 08:37:43 pm »
Purpura has had a hard on for Lane forever.  

Remember, Purpura paid Preston Wilson to go win a ring with someone else rather than release Lane, who was hitting worse than a good handful of pitchers last season.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:40:52 pm »
Quote:

Purpura has had a hard on for Lane forever.

Broke Bat Mountain?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 08:42:27 pm »
It's the only thing I can think of.

I know Lane was a masher in the minors, but Jesus Christ, how many more seasons of well-below-average from him do we have to put up with?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:49:13 pm »
Quote:

It's the only thing I can think of.

I know Lane was a masher in the minors, but Jesus Christ, how many more seasons of well-below-average from him do we have to put up with?

I wish he knew how to quit him.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

ASTROCREEP

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 08:52:37 pm »
I'm no batting expert, but his swing has always seemed awkward and flawed to me.

Scott on the other hand has a sweet swing. Someone explain Scott's contract situation, say he goes .290 / 30 / 98
when does he start making the real cash.
Chuck Norris once ate three 72 oz. steaks in one hour. He spent the first 45 minutes having sex with his waitress.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 08:55:44 pm »
Well, I know it isn't next year and for the Astros to be discussing Lane over Scott, to me, says there is clearly something at play here that we'll never know about.

Lane aside, I can't believe the mgmt hasn't already penciled in Scott as a starter for '07.  He costs league minimum and has finally proven he can fucking rake MLB pitching.  What am I missing??

ASTROCREEP

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 08:59:38 pm »
Maybe Scott is too pretty for the PUP. He prefers the more brawny guys.

On a related note, PUP really needs to do something about that Waddle.

Bob Sakamano

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 09:02:25 pm »
I think we all need to look a little deeper at what management is doing. When they sent Lane down in the middle of last season, one of the stated reasons was to get him some repetition at centerfield. We've read in recent days that Lane is going to play winter ball... yet again at CF.

We've also seen, both in quotes and over time, that Garner isn't particularly enamored with a lot of things Willy does at the plate. This is also an organization that's started both Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman in center in recent years.

I could be wrong - and I'm not necessarily saying I support the idea - but imo, there's more to the Lane at CF idea than a lot of you realize. I think if Lane starts (and I'm not saying he will, but if) it's in center, not right. Scott is in the lineup.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 09:04:21 pm »
So, we're putting Lane in CF where he's a dropoff in BOTH defense AND offense??

Bob Sakamano

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 09:07:27 pm »
If Lane hits anywhere close to what he hit in 2005, he's a clear upgrade offensively from Taveras. My guess is that's what Purpura is thinking. Is it a risk? Absolutely, but reading between the lines and looking at this organization's history, that's my guess.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 09:08:12 pm »
Quote:

I think we all need to look a little deeper at what management is doing. When they sent Lane down in the middle of last season, one of the stated reasons was to get him some repetition at centerfield. We've read in recent days that Lane is going to play winter ball... yet again at CF.

We've also seen, both in quotes and over time, that Garner isn't particularly enamored with a lot of things Willy does at the plate. This is also an organization that's started both Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman in center in recent years.

I could be wrong - and I'm not necessarily saying I support the idea - but imo, there's more to the Lane at CF idea than a lot of you realize. I think if Lane starts (and I'm not saying he will, but if) it's in center, not right. Scott is in the lineup.

I thought Garner's problem with Willy was his defense not hitting.

Also, even I have seen the flaw in Lane's swing (thanks to HH).

Maybe it is all posturing about Lane to try and bring his price up.  Maybe no mention of Scott because he doesn't want others to remember him.  At least, that is what I hope.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

ASTROCREEP

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 09:10:04 pm »
I'm really not a defense first guy, but I really don't want to sacrafice defense in CENTERFIELD.

Remember what happened when Luke started playing every day, Willy started playing better.

OK, now I think I'm starting to get a hardon for Luke...
no...maybe...it's ok...no movement.

Plus how fun is it to yell LUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 09:12:41 pm »
Do you know why it's fun to yell Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke?  Because he doubles every other at bat.  Because the guy got on base almost as much as he DIDN'T.

I don't care what Lane did in 2005, look at what he did in 2006.  Before and AFTER the send down.  

No.  Thank.  You.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 09:17:36 pm »
Quote:

I'm really not a defense first guy, but I really don't want to sacrafice defense in CENTERFIELD.

Remember what happened when Luke started playing every day, Willy started playing better.

I think Willy started playing better when Burke wsa hitting and playing center.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 09:20:44 pm »
I really, REALLY hope they don't trade Luke.  I am afraid that one will come back to bite us in the ass.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 09:22:53 pm »
Quote:

I don't care what Lane did in 2005, look at what he did in 2006.  Before and AFTER the send down.

There's absolutely nothing about Lane's game that indicates he is improving.  The same goes for Lidge and Ensberg.
Lighten up, Francis.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 09:35:40 pm »
Quote:

I'm no batting expert, but his swing has always seemed awkward and flawed to me.

Someone in here described it as if he's trying to hit himself with the bat.  That's both funny and perfect.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 09:36:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

There's absolutely nothing about Lane's game that indicates he is improving.  The same goes for Lidge and Ensberg.

I agree, but when I first read about Lane possibly playing center the other day and expressed my disinterest in it...I think it was Biz who said that he could handle it if it meant that part of that trade off was Taveras in a deal for the D-Train.  Given the team's situation...I think I could handle it at that point too.

Burzmali

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 09:44:31 pm »
Yeah, Lane hit .201 last season. But it was an interesting .201. Look at the breakdown by month:

April       .232 .394 .476 .870  
May         .154 .247 .295 .542  
June        .250 .379 .458 .838  
July        .211 .211 .263 .474  
August      .241 .361 .586 .947  
September   .129 .194 .226 .420

Bizarre. I'm not saying he's going to get it together next season, but if we get something good for Willy he's worth a shot in CF. I'd also like him in a platoon with Scott in RF.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 10:05:09 pm »
Quote:

Yeah, Lane hit .201 last season. But it was an interesting .201. Look at the breakdown by month:

Bizarre. I'm not saying he's going to get it together next season, but if we get something good for Willy he's worth a shot in CF. I'd also like him in a platoon with Scott in RF.

What about those stats appeals to you?  I'm not seeing it.
Lighten up, Francis.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 10:38:41 pm »
Quote:

If you ever bitch and moan about Ausmus or Everett hitting below .250, I'm going to hunt you down and beat your ass.  Why is a corner outfielder not expected to hit the ball and score runs?  How is Lane's lack of accomplishment acceptable?  If the Astros get something good for Willy, which I'd like to say I want Willy to stay, then I would play Burke in CF before I would play Lane.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 11:15:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I vote for overreacting. Scott's job is likely secure since he wasn't the one getting called out by the GM for sucking last year. Alkie's right about Purpura's boner for Lane, but I interpreted the negativity in his tone of voice as a sign that Purp's fallen out of love with Jason Lane.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 01:14:21 am »
Quote:

Willy & Luke are longtime friends and teammates ... not hard to see how they would be a positive influence on each other.
Up in the Air

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 12:35:15 pm »
Quote:

What about those stats appeals to you?  I'm not seeing it.

If he'd hit like that all season, he'd be starting opening day.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 12:39:24 pm »
And if you just look at Luke Scott's first month after he was called up, he'd be in the HoF.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 12:40:29 pm »
Quote:

And if you just look at Luke Scott's first month after he was called up, he'd be in the HoF.

Along with Dale Murphy.

I wasn't expressing any opinion on Lane's prospects for doing jack this season. I was merely responding to the question about what was good in those month-by-month statistics.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 12:42:03 pm »
That's right.

And I knew what you were doing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 12:47:16 pm »
Lane can play CF. did anyone think that perhaps, just perhaps the GM is touting a guy he would like to move at the meeting?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
Well, actually, I think 3 people pointed that out.

I sure hope that's the case.

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 12:49:38 pm »
Quote:

Lane can play CF. did anyone think that perhaps, just perhaps the GM is touting a guy he would like to move at the meeting?

No way.  WE didn't think of that and WE are smarter than the Count.

As some might say... FACT.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:25 pm »
that's what i get for not reading every single word. all i saw was chest-beating and wailing.

actually, i also think it is possible that TP hopes it was an aberrational year. Lane has been successful for many more years than not.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 01:10:41 pm »
Quote:

that's what i get for not reading every single word. all i saw was chest-beating and wailing.

actually, i also think it is possible that TP hopes it was an aberrational year. Lane has been successful for many more years than not.

I started the wailing and my knee-jerk overreaction was just as you say. TP hoping (and hoping Lane will prove in ST) that 2006 was a fluke.  Next day overreaction is that trying to set him up for a deal is quite possible, but that he hopes 06 is a fluke is more likely.  Whatever, in the end, TP will do what's best for the Astros.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 02:32:25 pm »
Quote:

Whatever, in the end, TP will do what's best for the Astros.

Jason Lane in RF ain't what's best for the Astros; I don't care how you slice it.  Nothing about him indicates that the Astros should expect a better performance in 2007.  Let's hope he's moved.
Lighten up, Francis.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006, 02:39:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Jason Lane in RF ain't what's best for the Astros; I don't care how you slice it.  Nothing about him indicates that the Astros should expect a better performance in 2007.  Let's hope he's moved.

He may not be what's best in right, but if Willy T could be packaged for an SP from Rockies or Marlins, it wouldn't hurt too much to see Burke/Lane in CF.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 02:53:39 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

If at the end of the day the best the Astros can field includes Lane in right then that's what it should be.  I don't believe that will happen though.

BTW, did anyone else listen to Purp and take away the same impression I did about Lane in right?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Bob Sakamano

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 03:00:34 pm »
Like you, I took away a similar impression about Lane as a hitter - I just didn't take it to mean RF.

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 03:06:16 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Someone in here described it as if he's trying to hit himself with the bat.  That's both funny and perfect.

Have you ever seen the hammer throw competition?  That's Lane, without the spinning.
"I'm against the knee-jerk dismissal of knee-jerk reactions."

Burzmali

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2006, 03:48:19 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

If you ever bitch and moan about Ausmus or Everett hitting below .250, I'm going to hunt you down and beat your ass.  Why is a corner outfielder not expected to hit the ball and score runs?  How is Lane's lack of accomplishment acceptable?  If the Astros get something good for Willy, which I'd like to say I want Willy to stay, then I would play Burke in CF before I would play Lane.

Chill out. I'm an Everett fan, I think he's fine as a #8 hitter. Ausmus I'm on the fence about but if he means we get Clemens and Pettitte back then I'm fine with him too. But they are both OBP black holes, as are Willy and Biggio. Lane would be a decent replacement in CF or at the least a platoon member in RF. IF this extremely bizarre season was an abberation. That's all I was saying. And yes, his numbers from half the season last year were very good.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 04:11:19 pm »
I get tired of people bitching about biggio as it pertains to the lineup.

Craig Biggio at 2b (or what he did last season there) is not the astros problem.  He might not be a part of the solution anymore, but he's not a problem.  A 2b with 20+ HR's, 40+ doubles and an OBP over 300 does not kill you. It isn't gonna be the reason you win, but it won't be the reason that you lose either.  Name me 15 guys at 2b you'd  have been better off then Bidge with last year. If you can't then you have to admit he's league average- not a problem.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2006, 04:23:16 pm »
Just looked it up.

Bidge was 7th in the NL in slugging, 9th in OPS basically in a flat footed tie with Marcus Giles. I've never heard anyone bitch that Giles is worthless or the cause of the braves sucking, and he posted almost identical numbers to him.

Bidge at 727 OPS is I belive damn near median OPS in the league.  I'll take that at 2b and not worry, if Berkman, Lee, Ensberg and whoever fits into the other corner spot (lane or scott) does their job.

Everett, Ausmus and Tavarez are strong defensively up the middle. It's the national league, everyone has outs at 7-9 in the lineup.

Bidge is reasonable for a 2b in the NL, and he's reasonable in the 6th spot. His OBP isn't great for a 2 hole hitter, but so freaking what.  He didn't kill us last year, and probably won't this year, especially in a probably more limited role on the road.

868 OPS at Home.  That is WELL above league average.  Slugs .522. OBP over .350.  That is all star quality for a 2b.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2006, 04:28:25 pm »
If the Astros got rid of Willy T., I would rather the Astros give a one year deal to Kenny Lofton to play centerfield (with the idea that Pence plays centerfield in 2008) than to give the job to Lane.
Boom!

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 04:39:25 pm »
First, let me state I like Biggio.  I might prefer Burke at this point over him, but I understand why he will start at 2B and not Burke.

That being said, the reason people bag on Biggio isn't his season totals.  It is is Post-Allstar totals when he showed his age.  That type of drop off is exactly why Clemens wanted to sign mid-season and not pitch the entire season.  The older players just are not able to maintain that level of greatness over the whole season as easily.

And for the record, post All-Star break, there were 38 guys who posted better OPS than Biggio of those who played at 2B at least sometimes.  (and I used a min of 75ABs as a cut-off).  Biggio was 19th among NL 2B (out of 22 who met the criterian).

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2006, 04:43:45 pm »
wow, todd, Pence has not played an inning of AAA, and he already has a 2008 CF job in MLB?

no thanks on Lofton.

Bob Sakamano

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 09:28:50 pm »
Listening to Purp on Astroline now, he's talking about Lane as a potential CF. He bragged on him quite a bit, discussing the weight he's lost and how he views Lane as one of our best defensive outfielders. He said it was actually Lane's idea... apparently Lane came to them in recent weeks asking to give him a shot in center.

imo, it seems like Jason sees the writing on the wall in regards to the LF and RF spots, and he's looking to find a new way into the lineup.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 09:34:26 pm »
Ok, so Lane plays CF and figures it out.  .300/.375/.475

Ensberg gets the sand out of his vagina.  .315/.400/.500

9 runs per game?  Who pitches?

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 09:49:36 pm »
Quote:

Who pitches?

On November 30th?  Nobody.

I'm fairly certain that the Astros brass realizes the state of the starting rotation.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2006, 09:58:21 pm »
Quote:

Ok, so Lane plays CF and figures it out.  .300/.375/.475

Ensberg gets the sand out of his vagina.  .315/.400/.500

9 runs per game?  Who pitches?

I don't know...what can we get for Taveras, b/c I believe that's who'd be shipped out...not Burke.   I know Taveras has been linked with the Marlins quite a bit...but other teams looking for a CF would be the Brewers and SF, from what I've read.  Guess the Marlins would still be the most likely team in which Taveras would be dealt, as they are one of the few teams with a plethera of SPs.