Author Topic: Can't Tell The Players Without a Program  (Read 1839 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Can't Tell The Players Without a Program
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:42:03 pm »
After today:

Taveras CF
Biggio 2B
Berkman 1B
Lee LF
Scott RF
Ensberg 3B
Everett SS
Ausmus C
Pitcher

Oswalt
Williams
Hirsh
Sampson
Albers/Buchholz

Springer
Miller
Nieve
Qualls
Wheeler
Lidge

Palmiero, Lane, Bruntlett, Burke, Lamb, Gimenez

This puts us at $80m payroll right now.

Alkie

• View Profile
Re: Can't Tell The Players Without a Program
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 06:44:25 pm »
Also, looks like Woody's gonna need a new jersey number.

I think #17 is taken.

CarolinaStro

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:53:38 pm »
I think the offense is set unless they are not comfortable with Gimenez/Q.

Pettitte seems to be the only move remaining until the RC drama in the late Spring.

Good lineup.  Good IF defense.  Nice bench.  Strong bully.  OF defense a little scary.  Rotation good with AP/RC.  Plus we have Pence, Patton, Albers in the high minors.  Good job really.  Of course, it wasn't my money that just got spent.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:58:29 pm »
Pettitte, Clemens, AND Huff make us a scary fucking team.

All 3 are within our reach, it seems.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:13:22 pm »
Quote:

Pettitte, Clemens, AND Huff make us a scary fucking team.

All 3 are within our reach, it seems.

I like the Woody signing, but 6 years for Lee? Scary... but maybe he can afford a personal trainer now.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 07:13:55 pm »
Quote:

Also, looks like Woody's gonna need a new jersey number.

I think #17 is taken.

He put on 29 during the press conference, which I thought was Mansolino's number.  Maybe Woody traded a new ranch in Texas to Doug for the rights to 29.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Michael N

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 07:27:38 pm »
Feel like I need to add something positive today instead of being all negative....

Don't forget Juan Gutierrez, who has a chance to be a nice starter, or Paul Estrada who was a beast in the CC bully last year. Both are on the 40-man and have a chance to contribute in the near future.

Houston may not have a ton of experienced starting pitching w/o Clemens or Pettitte in the fold (and Backe on the DL), but there are some good ones coming...
Cosmic American Soul

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:40:55 pm »
Quote:

Feel like I need to add something positive today instead of being all negative....

Don't forget Juan Gutierrez, who has a chance to be a nice starter, or Paul Estrada who was a beast in the CC bully last year. Both are on the 40-man and have a chance to contribute in the near future.

Houston may not have a ton of experienced starting pitching w/o Clemens or Pettitte in the fold (and Backe on the DL), but there are some good ones coming...

I'm getting the impression that Gutierrez may be destined for the bully long-term.  He once again failed to make it through a season in strong fashion.  There were issues with his fitness and preparation in the past, and he missed a significant portion of this season with a tired arm. Still, Hirsh, Albers, and Patton is not a bad trio of younger starters.  Additionally, Barthmaier seemed to turn a corner in the second half of the season. And, Fairchild has impressed.  Perez is on the fast-track and Bogusevic showed strong stuff late in the season after arm troubles.  Other young potential hard throwing relievers include Reineke and Paulino.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Russ99

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • www.thrustjet.com
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:14:10 pm »
If somehow they can get Huff signed, that opens up a world of trade possibilities with or without Clemens and/or Pettitte.

" He is a throwback to the old days, when a player's most honored badges were mud and blood"

- Larry Dierker on Bill Doran -  The Scouting Report 1987