Author Topic: Oswalt Money For Lee?  (Read 3735 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Oswalt Money For Lee?
« on: November 23, 2006, 10:43:13 am »
Chronicle reporting 5 years for $73m the new offer to Lee.

No thanks.

Even if he did go for it (why would he??), we're talking about a player that almost no one cared about until the trade deadline this year.  

It's just Carlos Lee.  We're not talking about a legit superstar here.

ETA: Take a look at his stats.  He's Jeff Kent at the plate.  I'm certainly not saying that's a bad thing.  I'm saying you wouldn't give Jeff Kent $15m per season at any point in his career.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Oswalt Money For Lee?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 10:53:37 am »
Quote:

No thanks.

Even if he did go for it (why would he??), we're talking about a player that almost no one cared about until the trade deadline this year.  

I couldn't agree with you more.  Give me Huff, give me Woody...then let's talk trade and hope that Pettitte decides to return.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:08:45 am »
this kinda reminds me of all the crazes that have happened over the years. take when the cabbage patch dolls first came out .. people where lining up and fighting tooth and nail to buy them and we wont even mention the furby innocedent. they where just normal average dolls and toys.. nothing magic.. but at the time it is what everyone had to have.. but anyhow it seems like if you are not in line to throw away cash on any one who sorta has a name you are not doing all you can to field a team. maybe sanity will prevail and go the way of the cabbage patch dolls \ like i saw the other day at walmart at greatly reduced prices.
forever is composed entirely of nows

No? in Austin

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:48:24 am »
Quote:

No thanks.

ETA: Take a look at his stats.  He's Jeff Kent at the plate.  I'm certainly not saying that's a bad thing.  I'm saying you wouldn't give Jeff Kent $15m per season at any point in his career.

It's not entirely the money talk for Lee that is bothersome, but what the entire bloated market did to bring it to this point.  Gary Mathews Jr. gets 55 mil? (10 million a year?)  Juan Freaking Pierre gets 44 mil?  OMG!  That and the insanity over in Cubbie land makes this a free agent market to stay away from if you're smart.

Unfortunately the Astros have a need that Carlos Lee can fill right away.  The fit is real, the money is what makes this a bad idea.  So I think the Astros will play this market to only a certain level and then back out and go with plan B to fill that biggest need.

Too bad, it's not Lee's fault he's in the market that got inflated by some very bad dealings so far.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 12:06:29 pm »
i have no opinion on the terms. that is the Tribune's "play with someone else's money" strategy causing the craziness.

i disagree with "it's just Carlos Lee." IF he is in shape, his bat will help immensely.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 12:11:32 am »
That's a BIG if, sorry I couldn't resist.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:37:41 am »
Quote:

i have no opinion on the terms. that is the Tribune's "play with someone else's money" strategy causing the craziness.

i disagree with "it's just Carlos Lee." IF he is in shape, his bat will help immensely.

And if he's not, and his swing goes in the tanker, we're paying big bucks to have Eusebio troll out in LF.

Michael N

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 12:44:08 am »
Not just "no thanks". If Purpura actually inks Carlos Lee at those terms, he's out of his fucking mind. This FA market is out of control and there's no reason for Houston to get sucked into the frenzy.

It seems far more prudent at this point to identify and work hard a trade or two to upgrade the OF and, perhaps, bring in another starter.
Cosmic American Soul

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 01:15:08 am »
Quote:

Not just "no thanks". If Purpura actually inks Carlos Lee at those terms, he's out of his fucking mind. This FA market is out of control and there's no reason for Houston to get sucked into the frenzy.

I think this approach is overconfident. We don't have a crystal ball to see where the FA market will go in the future. Who knows, maybe 2 years from now a Carlos Lee equivalent commands 50% more. That's why I don't get people making confident commentary on who's worth what financially.  

Drayton didn't get filthy rich making stupid economic decisions. I trust he understands the financial pro's and con's in play. You're making it overly simplistic, IMHO.

Michael N

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 01:52:31 am »
The economically savvy Drayton McLane established what he thinks two of the very best players at their respective positions in all of MLB are worth within the last 20 months. Lance Berkman was given $85 million over 6 years and Roy Oswalt was given $73 million over 5 years. The latter contract, which is less than three months old, mirrors what is reported in the Chron as being the latest offer to Lee. Does anyone honestly believe Carlos Lee has the same worth to the Astros in any measure as Roy Oswalt?

Suggesting we don't have a crystal ball as to the future of the FA market is silly. Of course we don't know for sure what will happen tomorrow much less two years from now. What we do know, though, is by any objective standard Carlos Lee is not as valuable a performer as Roy Oswalt or Lance Berkman. Paying established, lesser players as much or more money than other established players flat-out does not make sense.

Finally, falling prey to the winds of the FA market is what teams led by the likes of Peter Angelos do and is uncharacteristic of Drayton McLane. While I may have my odd beefs with what he does, there's no questioning McLane has been a fine steward of this franchise.
Cosmic American Soul

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 10:35:05 am »
Quote:

The economically savvy Drayton McLane established what he thinks two of the very best players at their respective positions in all of MLB are worth within the last 20 months. Lance Berkman was given $85 million over 6 years and Roy Oswalt was given $73 million over 5 years. The latter contract, which is less than three months old, mirrors what is reported in the Chron as being the latest offer to Lee. Does anyone honestly believe Carlos Lee has the same worth to the Astros in any measure as Roy Oswalt?

Suggesting we don't have a crystal ball as to the future of the FA market is silly. Of course we don't know for sure what will happen tomorrow much less two years from now. What we do know, though, is by any objective standard Carlos Lee is not as valuable a performer as Roy Oswalt or Lance Berkman. Paying established, lesser players as much or more money than other established players flat-out does not make sense.

Finally, falling prey to the winds of the FA market is what teams led by the likes of Peter Angelos do and is uncharacteristic of Drayton McLane. While I may have my odd beefs with what he does, there's no questioning McLane has been a fine steward of this franchise.

How do you know what's an apples to apples comparison? How do you know that the market hasn't permanently inflated since the Oswalt signing and that this inflation is not out of whack, but instead representative of the future?

If baseline FA salaries have permanently increased, say, 15% in the last 4 months, then your argument becomes less strong. All I'm saying is that you're assuming too much.

At the very least, McLane is offering Lee an amount of money that is disproportionately close to Oswalt and Berkman.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 04:11:14 pm »
Quote:

It seems to me that the measure of the success of signing Lee is whether the contract puts McLane too close to the payroll limit that he has in mind for the 2007 Astros. If he wants to spend that much on Lee but is still willing to do what it takes to fill out the rotation, then Lee's salary is not a barrier to the team's success. On the other hand, if Lee's contract means that the rotation is going to be Oswalt and whomever else on the 40-man can go four or five innings, then the Astros are in trouble. I cannot imagine that Purpura has not explained this to McLane and that McLane does not understand it.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 04:13:44 pm »
While I agree with you entirely, I don't think it's McLane's understanding that is the problem.  The problem is: who the hell are we going to get to pitch?  

Schmidt?  Zito?  Andyroger?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 04:16:29 pm »
Quote:

While I agree with you entirely, I don't think it's McLane's understanding that is the problem.  The problem is: who the hell are we going to get to pitch?  

Schmidt?  Zito?  Andyroger?

Wasn't that the case before they signed Lee? The same questions were staring them in the face: will Pettitte return? Will Clemens return? Will Williams sign?

Those questions are here now just like they were yesterday. The difference now is that they may have some spare offensive parts that can now more easily be traded for pitching.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 04:17:59 pm »
Oh sure, sameysamey.  My point is: fine, we got Lee.  Everyone got their wish.  NOW what?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 04:20:43 pm »
They've got position players firm at five places:

C Ausmus
1B Berkman
2B Biggio
3B
SS Everett
LF Lee
CF
RF

So figure out who they've got to play those three open positions. Seems like the only question there is whether they pass on Huff now that they've spend a bundle on Lee.

Purpura turns to pitching next whicn, per usual, is partially dependent on drama. Purpura went ahead and solved the part of the equation that he knew wasn't dependent on Pettitte and Clemens, i.e., the offense.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 04:22:30 pm »
Quote:

Oh sure, sameysamey.  My point is: fine, we got Lee.  Everyone got their wish.  NOW what?

Get Woody Williams signed, for one thing. Make up your mind on whether you're going to go after Huff and, if so, figure out then whether that makes Ensberg or any of the young outfielders expendable. If any of them are expendable, figure out what kind of pitching you can get for them.

I do think Pettitte and Clemens may be thinking more seriously about re-signing now. Just a hunch.

Michael N

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 05:32:04 pm »

"How do you know what's an apples to apples comparison?"

Excuse me but just how do you think "value" is determined if not primarily by comparison with other members of the same profession? There's no real difference with any other commodity.

"How do you know that the market hasn't permanently inflated since the Oswalt signing and that this inflation is not out of whack, but instead representative of the future? If baseline FA salaries have permanently increased, say, 15% in the last 4 months, then your argument becomes less strong."

What has happened economically in the last 3 months to justify a 15% increase in player values?

I've made my opinion pretty clear. Based on current roster player salaries and the performance of those players, the contract for Carlos Lee is out of whack.

"All I'm saying is that you're assuming too much. At the very least, McLane is offering Lee an amount of money that is disproportionately close to Oswalt and Berkman."

Close to Oswalt and Berkman? He's now signed Lee to a contract that has GREATER value.

Zan, you are correct that I am making assumptions. However, I've made them based on verifiable data. Trust me, though. I hope like hell I'm wrong about Carlos Lee. I'd like nothing more than to be pilloried here after he wins 2 or 3 NL MVP awards and the Astros romp to a couple of championships. My gut tells me it isn't going to happen and we're more likely to rue the day Houston is paying Carlos Lee $15+ million a year 3 years from now.
Cosmic American Soul

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 12:44:33 am »
Quote:

Excuse me but just how do you think "value" is determined if not primarily by comparison with other members of the same profession? There's no real difference with any other commodity.

But there can be a difference in a commodity at Time Period X verses Time Period X + 120 days. Just check platinum the last few weeks.

Quote:

What has happened economically in the last 3 months to justify a 15% increase in player values?

Market conditions. I'm not sure why those market conditions changed between the Berkman signing and now, but they undeniably have. They may change back again; they may keep going up. Who knows?  

Quote:

I've made my opinion pretty clear. Based on current roster player salaries and the performance of those players, the contract for Carlos Lee is out of whack.

You haven't proven that Berkman's and Oswalt's contracts are the standard by which all terms should be measured. The Astros got great deals on those, and those great deals have enabled them to intelligently accept a riskier deal with less favorable terms now. One could also argue that the Soriano and Matthews signings are evidence that, based on current market conditions, the Astros aren't getting an out of whack deal.

Quote:

Close to Oswalt and Berkman? He's now signed Lee to a contract that has GREATER value.

So is Purpura "out of his [freaking] mind," as you suggested earlier?

Quote:

Zan, you are correct that I am making assumptions. However, I've made them based on verifiable data.

Verifiable data needs interpretation. You can say what Oswalt, Berkman, and Lee make, but the moment you assess a contract as out of whack, you have made an interpretation that is not positively verifiable. I'm not disputing the data; I'm disputing the confidence of your interpretation.

You assume all these crazy GM's or owners are getting caught up in the frenzy and out of whack, but is it possible they know a thing or two more than you do about their financial decisions? Clearly, they didn't interpret the data the same way you did. But in your mind, it's crystal clear that your interpretation of the data is the only correct one. All I'm saying is that you need some humility - you could be right, but you could just as easily be wrong.

Michael N

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 01:17:47 am »
Current market conditions indicate that if you are lucky enough to get a new PS3 at retail you can sell the thing for triple what you paid for it on EBay. Some may say cost x 3 is a good Christmas buy. I wouldn't. Just because it is the going rate does not make it a "good buy".

Also, since when does an opinion need to be positively verifiable? It's an opinion, fercryinoutloud. In this case, my opinion is based on verifiable history of Astro contracts, Astro payroll and Drayton McLane's ownership of the franchise. Does this make it fact? Of course not.

Yes, some GMs and owners may have different views of how to run ball clubs than I. Some are very good at their jobs, others are not. Some manage payrolls and personnel very well, others do not. C'est la vie. My fear, though, is that in this case Purpura and McLane, who have been excellent stewards of the franchise, are venturing into the dark side and as a fan I'm more than a little freaked out by it.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I think Purp and McLane are out of their fucking minds with this deal. I hope like hell I am wrong and you and the rest of OWA beat me bloody over the years if Lee proves worthy of the deal. It will also give me no pleasure if my assessment proves correct over time.

I now have a question for you. Since when does anyone in the TZ need to exercise humility?

Unless he/she is a newbie, of course...
Cosmic American Soul

Michael N

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 05:51:03 am »
Quote:

Quote:

It seems to me that the measure of the success of signing Lee is whether the contract puts McLane too close to the payroll limit that he has in mind for the 2007 Astros. If he wants to spend that much on Lee but is still willing to do what it takes to fill out the rotation, then Lee's salary is not a barrier to the team's success. On the other hand, if Lee's contract means that the rotation is going to be Oswalt and whomever else on the 40-man can go four or five innings, then the Astros are in trouble. I cannot imagine that Purpura has not explained this to McLane and that McLane does not understand it.

I missed this reply, Arky. Sorry for not responding.

On the Purp/McLane understanding, I believe you are correct. But it seems likely that unless Drayton is willing to expand the payroll over the next several seasons, the Lee signing very well may have hamstrung the club in terms of signing additional FAs, making deals for other players or keeping players soon due for substantial paydays. I'm looking at not only 2007, but beyond.

Lee, Berkman and Oswalt alone tie up around $45-$50 million in payroll each of the next 4-5 years. Drayton has been generous in his expansion of the payroll over the last 3 years but there's no guarantee he'll continue to do so. Those contracts, though, are guaranteed.

As an organization under McLane, the Houston Astros have generally been very cautious about giving big money, long-term contracts and have done a fine job of developing from within and making very shrewd player acquisitions. Most long-term TZers have applauded this philosophy and poo-pooed those begging Drayton to make the big FA splash. To my mind the Lee signing signals a departure from a historically very successful approach and this concerns me greatly.
Cosmic American Soul

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 10:52:17 am »
Quote:

To my mind the Lee signing signals a departure from a historically very successful approach and this concerns me greatly.

Exactly my thoughts.  Drayton just made a big decision about this team's payroll for many years to come.
Lighten up, Francis.