Author Topic: What's Wrong With Baseball  (Read 2101 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
What's Wrong With Baseball
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:51:27 pm »
I just read this on a Yankees fan site.  If it were any other fan base, you'd just roll your eyes like "yeah, right, that's never gonna happen."  But since it's a Yankees fan, you have to think "yeah, that's probably going to happen.  Which sucks."

All I have to say is goodbye Torre, A-Rod, Sheff, Moose Hello Giradi, Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis, Barry Zito, and Matsuka.

Yes, he's nuts, yes it's reactionary, yes it's really stupid.  But the problem is...all of those things could actually happen.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: What's Wrong With Baseball
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 07:05:01 pm »
Who would New York send to Florida to get Miguel and Dontrelle?
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:08:56 pm »
Probably a AA prospect and cash like they send to all the teams that bend over backwards to help the Yanks out.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:09:33 pm »
No.  A-Rod.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:13:21 pm »
The Yankees would have to pay all but about 300k of his salary for the rest of the contract since he is going to make more next year than the entire projected team payroll in Florida.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:21:52 pm »
The Fish have some money to play with.  Especially after getting rid of Cabrera and Willis, who are both going to start getting paid very soon.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 07:28:21 pm »
I could see some type of 3 way deal where Florida gets a truck full of prospects.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 07:38:36 pm »
D-Train and Cabrera to Yankees, Arod and Unit to Mariners, busload of prospects from Yanks and M's to Fish?

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 07:42:52 pm »
Mariners? They have their own ideas... Like Schmidt, Zito and Matsuka.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:15:54 pm »
i was w atching the  game in hope of being able to do my happy dance when the yankees lost.(which i did) they gave arods numbers and asked the question on any team wouldnt you take that ... but as long as he chokes in the play offs they said there was a very good possibility that he would not be on the yankees team next year. they also brought up the fact that the yankees had purchased a bunch of bats and had not paid enought attention to pitching and the bench. like the all saying goes money does not always buy happiness especially in the case of the yankees fans.
forever is composed entirely of nows

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 10:27:29 pm »
Let me show you something.  See if you can tell me what this is:

Jorge Posada
Tino Martinez
Chuck Knoblauch
Derek Jeter
Scott Brosius
David Justice
Bernie Williams
Paul O'Neill
Shane Spencer

That's the list of everyday regulars of the last Yankee team that won a World Series.  What's the biggest difference between that team and this list:

Jorge Posada
Jason Giambi
Robinson Cano
Derek Jeter
Alex Rodriguez
Bobby Abreu
Gary Sheffield
Hideki Matsui
Johnny Damon

That's correct.  There isn't a single "role player" in the second list.  The first list had 5, maybe 6 guys that were (that year) considered "role players".  This year is just a bunch of superstars.  Not unlike the Indians club of the 1990s.  That team never won a World Series either.  The moral??  I'll let Steinbrenner figure it out.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 10:37:47 pm »
Quote:

Let me show you something.  See if you can tell me what this is:

Jorge Posada
Tino Martinez
Chuck Knoblauch
Derek Jeter
Scott Brosius
David Justice
Bernie Williams
Paul O'Neill
Shane Spencer

That's the list of everyday regulars of the last Yankee team that won a World Series.  What's the biggest difference between that team and this list:

Jorge Posada
Jason Giambi
Robinson Cano
Derek Jeter
Alex Rodriguez
Bobby Abreu
Gary Sheffield
Hideki Matsui
Johnny Damon

That's correct.  There isn't a single "role player" in the second list.  The first list had 5, maybe 6 guys that were (that year) considered "role players".  This year is just a bunch of superstars.  Not unlike the Indians club of the 1990s.  That team never won a World Series either.  The moral??  I'll let Steinbrenner figure it out.

the first group had clemens, pettitte, mussina, and a helluva bullpen.  the second group started one of the wright brothers today.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 10:44:12 pm »
Ah ha, you got ahead of me.

That was my next post.

What ELSE was the difference?  PITCHING.  This Yankees team had NONE.  At the beginning of the year, before Pavano was even toast, I said "there's no way the Yankees win squat this year.  Who the fuck is going to pitch?"

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 10:25:01 am »
Quote:

i was w atching the  game in hope of being able to do my happy dance when the yankees lost.(which i did) they gave arods numbers and asked the question on any team wouldnt you take that ... but as long as he chokes in the play offs they said there was a very good possibility that he would not be on the yankees team next year. they also brought up the fact that the yankees had purchased a bunch of bats and had not paid enought attention to pitching and the bench. like the all saying goes money does not always buy happiness especially in the case of the yankees fans.

All that crap about getting rid of A-Rod because of his post-season production remind anyone of a couple of Astros?

Yanks want him gone, send him south where his car dealership is.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

strosrays

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 01:39:42 pm »
They need some outfielders who can throw, for one thing.  I'll cop to it, I enjoyed the hell out of that game yesterday.  It appeared before the game Detroit decided to go first-to-third in practically every situation, no matter what.  Good strategy.

I was going to say Johnny Damon throws like my wife, except my wife can bring it pretty good, once she's warmed up.  OK.  Johnny Damon throws like my (94-year-old) grandmother.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 02:29:18 pm »
Quote:

They need some outfielders who can throw, for one thing.  I'll cop to it, I enjoyed the hell out of that game yesterday.  It appeared before the game Detroit decided to go first-to-third in practically every situation, no matter what.  Good strategy.

I was going to say Johnny Damon throws like my wife, except my wife can bring it pretty good, once she's warmed up.  OK.  Johnny Damon throws like my (94-year-old) grandmother.

Meanwhile, Lyons was going on about it like it was some big surprise.  My favorite [sic] was him waxing eloquent about whoever it was going first-to-third on the 2-out bloop single over Cano at second.  That's a play anybody above T-ball makes.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 03:35:48 pm »
exactly. he was almost orgasmic over the runner's not hesitating at all, and Mark says "Wait a minute! Aren't there 2 out?"

geat analysis, Lyons. your single claim to fame is that you dropped your pants on TV.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.