Author Topic: saving a life at Westlake HS (non BB)  (Read 3387 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
saving a life at Westlake HS (non BB)
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:30:43 am »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Phil_in_CS

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: saving a life at Westlake HS (non BB)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 12:01:19 pm »
I know several people who were at the game; it was very scary.

And a kid from last year's Consol team got killed in a wreck driving back from Prairie View to go to the game.  The Link

strosrays

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:09:19 pm »
Quote:

The Link

Thanks, Jim, great story.  

I only wish this reporter (like so many others) would lose the notion that one-sentence (or one-word) paragraphs increase dramatic tension.  Every time I see that now I start to hear the voice of that guy who does all the dramatic movie trailers and is on a GEICO commercial now ('This time its payback, and its for real... ')

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 12:12:37 pm »
if anyone is interested, there is a long audio interview with the parents at that website.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 01:00:50 pm »
I heard that Texas is still going to honor his scholarship offer.  Anyone hear more about that?
60% of the time... it works everytime.

otterj

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 01:12:37 pm »
Quote:

I heard that Texas is still going to honor his scholarship offer.  Anyone hear more about that?

I heard that too. Shows the class of Mack Brown.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 01:17:12 pm »
My niece was at that game.  She goes to A&M Consolidated.  She was pretty upset about it.  Glad to hear the kid is doing better.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 03:04:30 pm »
that is normal procedure at UT. nothing unique about it.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 03:40:32 pm »
I wonder does the Austin ISD has defibs at their disposal or is that a Westlake thing? Chances are you're not going to have a parade of doctors coming down from the stands at Johnston vs Johnson but, hopefully, EMS techs at the games whould know how to administer the equipment.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:00:01 pm »
i do not know that and wondered about it this morning. i coached at McCallum 1995-97, and i do not think we had one then. dunno about now. the one Westlake had was designed for laypersons' use, and i'm sure that athletic trainers could use it expertly.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 04:19:29 pm »
Quote:

i do not know that and wondered about it this morning. i coached at McCallum 1995-97, and i do not think we had one then. dunno about now. the one Westlake had was designed for laypersons' use, and i'm sure that athletic trainers could use it expertly.

I think that all sporting events require having the automatic defribulators on hand, but I don't know for sure. As I understand it, they're fairly ubiquitious. I see them in airports all the time.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 04:40:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I think that all sporting events require having the automatic defribulators on hand, but I don't know for sure. As I understand it, they're fairly ubiquitious. I see them in airports all the time.

My first job out of college required me to be certified as a "First Reponder".  We were taught how to use the new emergency defibulators.  It's really easy, most of them come with a simple diagram of where to place the pads, you press a "pre" button, it builds a charge, tells you "Ready", you inform all parties to stand clear of the patient, and press the button.  Literally, any adult can use it.  They even sell them to individuals with heart conditions for use in their homes.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 04:40:58 pm »
Quote:

We have one here at work, that probably half the building got trained to use.  From the impression I got from those that received the training, the machine literally tells them what to do.

Makes me think that they are available to all those teams/schools willing to purchase them.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 04:47:53 pm »
Quote:

I wonder does the Austin ISD has defibs at their disposal or is that a Westlake thing? Chances are you're not going to have a parade of doctors coming down from the stands at Johnston vs Johnson but, hopefully, EMS techs at the games whould know how to administer the equipment.

In the last couple of years, they've basically become standard equipment for any athletic event.  They are basically idiot-proof as well.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

otterj

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 05:10:25 pm »
Quote:

that is normal procedure at UT. nothing unique about it.

Do all schools have that policy?

Andyzipp

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 12:01:11 pm »
There are very few big time programs that wouldn't honor the scholarship.  You'll kill yourself with the high school coaches.  And Brown is very good in his relationship with them.

The kid will sign his LOI, enroll and then be placed on a medical scholarship and not count against the 85.
It's a no-brainer.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 01:19:06 pm »
Quote:

i used to teach at austin high, and there were not only defibrilators in the school, but during orientation faculty (or at least my department because i taught special ed) had to sit through a brief lecture about how and when to use them.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 03:49:56 pm »
Quote:

Red Cross basic First Aid now includes the training for the defib., at least my session at work did. We have 12 employees, and we have one on site. Thanks taxpayers!
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 09:13:41 pm »
I feel evil thinking I am the only one picturing Roy with a set of jumper cables....
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 02:09:48 pm »
totally inappropriate to joke about this.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 12:18:09 pm »
There was an ambulance at all of my high school games in Austin in the 70's.  I assume it was equipped with a de-fib.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 09:43:54 am »
In a related note...
Dewhurst is trying....
Hopefully this can help prevent some tragedies in the furture (and at all levels no less.)

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 10:51:02 pm »
WOW! Thanks for sharing. Sad, yet inspiring story.