Author Topic: Garner on proper baseball...  (Read 1188 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Garner on proper baseball...
« on: June 30, 2006, 03:52:11 pm »
"I don't think there's a rivalry there. You don't play them enough. It's hard for new rivalries to erupt because you've legislated the fighting out, the beanballs out," Garner said. "You can't have a genuine hate for people if you can't knock somebody down, really do some damage that way. It's going to be extremely difficult to create a genuine rivalry today.

"Plus, individuals look at other individual players differently today," Garner continued. "You don't have that sense of team pride to the extent that you used to -- 'Nobody going to beat me. By golly I'm going to tear somebody's head off if you do.' You just don't have that anymore."

The Link

While he is talking about the Rangers / Astros series, I think there's lots-o-nuggets in there about how old scrap iron would like "the game" to be played.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Garner on proper baseball...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 04:55:43 pm »
kinda like a combo wwf/mlb garner can be the guy with the chair that sneaks up behind the  batter (eveyone yelling and screaming but no one notices even the umps)and pounds him just as he makes his swing
forever is composed entirely of nows

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:12:20 pm »
CB Bucknor would make a great wrassling "referee."
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:34:40 pm »
Quote:

kinda like a combo wwf/mlb garner can be the guy with the chair that sneaks up behind the  batter (eveyone yelling and screaming but no one notices even the umps)and pounds him just as he makes his swing

Does Phil get to wear one of those Mexican-wrestler style masks?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 06:47:50 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Does Phil get to wear one of those Mexican-wrestler style masks?

Nacho Libre?