Author Topic: Maybe this one doesn't count  (Read 2418 times)

Trey

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Maybe this one doesn't count
« on: June 14, 2006, 01:17:03 pm »
Didn't see this posted anywhere

Click here to read the nice article

The deal to tie home field advantage in the World Series to the All Star Game apparently expired last year and has not been extended to this year, yet.

Quote:

"I'm surprised. I'm not aware of that at all," said Fox Sports president Ed Goren, whose network televises the game and whose marketing campaign uses the slogan, "This Time It Counts."

"In fact, I was under the impression that it was in place this year. Maybe it just counts for us. I don't know."

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe this one doesn't count
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:39:43 pm »
Please God, let this madness end.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

jasonact

• View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:40:50 pm »
Quote:

"We're still hopeful," Selig said, "because I think it's really good for the game. Everyone likes it. The owners. The players. The sponsors. It just adds a lot of meaning."

That's news to me. I don't know about those other groups, but the impression I got was that the players hate it. Most of the players I've heard speak on the matter have said that they want home field to be based solely on the win-loss record of the participating teams, despite the differences in opponents. Personally, that's what I'd like to see too.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
Quote:

That's news to me. I don't know about those other groups, but the impression I got was that the players hate it. Most of the players I've heard speak on the matter have said that they want home field to be based solely on the win-loss record of the participating teams, despite the differences in opponents. Personally, that's what I'd like to see too.

...or the overall NL/AL records in interleague play.  Even the arbitrary alternating years was better than using the result of an exhibition game.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:10:10 pm »
Quote:

Even the arbitrary alternating years was better than using the result of an exhibition game.

Why?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 02:15:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Even the arbitrary alternating years was better than using the result of an exhibition game.

Why?

Because the American League always wins.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 02:28:52 pm »
Quote:

Why?

Because the ASG isn't played to win.  They pay lip-service to trying to win but, if this were a truly meaningful game, top players would not be allowed to sit out and clubs would have to manage their rotations to have the best pitchers available to pitch.

The alternating HFA was arbitrary, but understood.  The ASG is just a bit of fun that can now impact the result of the WS.  Might as well have Spring Training games decide home field advantage for divisional tie-breakers.

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 02:47:57 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Why?

Because the ASG isn't played to win.  They pay lip-service to trying to win but, if this were a truly meaningful game, top players would not be allowed to sit out and clubs would have to manage their rotations to have the best pitchers available to pitch.

The alternating HFA was arbitrary, but understood.  The ASG is just a bit of fun that can now impact the result of the WS.  Might as well have Spring Training games decide home field advantage for divisional tie-breakers.

And the roster would not be filled out by what equates to a popularity contest dominated by regional demographics.   The best example of this,  given latest counts, there would be Mets starting at 1st, 3rd, and catcher.  No offense to Delgado but he's not the best 1B in the NL.  Wright is good but are there better 3B's in the league?  I'd argue there are at least 2.  Lo Duca at catcher?  I don't have a firm opinion of Lo Duca other than he is not be the best catcher in the NL.  

I'm just waiting for the vote counts to pile up for Jose Reyes.  Then ESPN can tout this as proof their sunshine pumping on this guy was justified.  His defense is Furcal-esque and his offensive contribution not even comparable to Furcal.  But just wait, I'll bet a beer that Reyes shoots up the vote totals, if he's not up there already.  Friggin' fair-weather Mut fans...
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 03:33:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Why?

Which is the point of making the winner of the ASG the home team in the World Series.  If this helps make them take the ASG seriously, it can't be bad.

Quote:

The alternating HFA was arbitrary, but understood.

The winner of the ASG is undertood too, and less arbitrary to boot.

Quote:

The ASG is just a bit of fun that can now impact the result of the WS.  Might as well have Spring Training games decide home field advantage for divisional tie-breakers.

Why is an on-field result, albeit an exhibition, impacting the World Series any worse than random chance?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 03:38:14 pm »
I've never been too comfortable with the idea of the fans having that much influence over HFA in the WS. Some ridiculous choices have been voted into the starting lineup, and even though the coaches get to select, the starters have -- I think -- accounted for about half the game (or at LEAST once through the lineup, in the case of position players).

Doesn't bother me either way, about whether  the ASG determines who has HFA, I just kinda wish the voting weren't quite such a big part of it, if they continue to "Make it Count."
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Gizzmonic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 03:54:54 pm »
Yep, it either needs to be an exhibition game with no influence over home-field advantage, or COMPLETELY controlled by managers.  I am content with it being an exhibition game.  Then again, I don't like interleague play either (Playing the Rangers each year while the Jakes play the Royals is but one reason) so maybe I'm just a curmudgeon at 30.

Quote:

I've never been too comfortable with the idea of the fans having that much influence over HFA in the WS. Some ridiculous choices have been voted into the starting lineup, and even though the coaches get to select, the starters have -- I think -- accounted for about half the game (or at LEAST once through the lineup, in the case of position players).

Doesn't bother me either way, about whether  the ASG determines who has HFA, I just kinda wish the voting weren't quite such a big part of it, if they continue to "Make it Count."

Grab another Coke and let's die

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 04:11:13 pm »
Quote:

Which is the point of making the winner of the ASG the home team in the World Series.  If this helps make them take the ASG seriously, it can't be bad.

But the ASG is still stuffed up with BS, not least of which is the team selection process.

Quote:

The winner of the ASG is undertood too, and less arbitrary to boot.

By understood, I meant established.  I.e. this year NL, next year AL.  Using the ASG is more random, but it's the random product of a flawed process.  I.e. bullshit.

Quote:

Why is an on-field result, albeit an exhibition, impacting the World Series any worse than random chance?

See my first comment and those of those who got here before me.  The teams are bullshit because the selection process is bullshit.  Makes the whole thing bullshit, which is fine for a pure exhibition game...

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 04:13:30 pm »
Quote:

Then again, I don't like interleague play either (Playing the Rangers each year while the Jakes play the Royals is but one reason) so maybe I'm just a curmudgeon at 30.

Interleague play is not a problem, so long as every team in a division plays the same interleague opponents.  This has never been the case, so it makes a mockery of the divisional competitions.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 04:15:17 pm »
Quote:

See my first comment and those of those who got here before me.  The teams are bullshit because the selection process is bullshit.  Makes the whole thing bullshit, which is fine for a pure exhibition game...

But the previous way of determining the home team was just random, pick a name out of hat, no reason other than we just decided it that way.  Completely arbitrary.  I'm not saying the ASG is the best way, I'm just saying it's no more arbitrary or less fair than any other way they've done it.

I think the problem people have with the ASG winner is not that it's a bad idea but that it's a Bud idea.  People are just looking for one more way to hammer Bud Selig, deserved or not.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 04:19:54 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

But the previous way of determining the home team was just random, pick a name out of hat, no reason other than we just decided it that way.  Completely arbitrary.  I'm not saying the ASG is the best way, I'm just saying it's no more arbitrary or less fair than any other way they've done it.

I think the problem people have with the ASG winner is not that it's a bad idea but that it's a Bud idea.  People are just looking for one more way to hammer Bud Selig, deserved or not.

How about if the world series advantage goes to the league with the fewest at bats by designated hitters?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 04:20:52 pm »
Interesting, I had never actually seen the bottom of the WS trophy before this article.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 04:21:09 pm »
Quote:

People are just looking for one more way to hammer Bud Selig, deserved or not.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 04:21:50 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think so, I just think Bud has some bad ideas.

Home field should be based on best overall record.  This is a pretty straightforward idea.

I like the All-Star game as an exhibition.  I don't get worked up about who starts, who plays, that every team must have a representative (a rule I like, though many don't).  It's an exhibition.  It's fun.

And, btw, inter-league play stinks.  With an at-large wild card berth the unbalanced schedule (and the fact that, for example, the C0-ards get guarenteed matchups with the Royals every year while, say, the Mets get the Yankees) stinks.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 04:25:13 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

People are just looking for one more way to hammer Bud Selig, deserved or not.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is.  I'm not a Bud fan, but this is not necessarily a reason to hammer him.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 04:30:47 pm »
Bud has been just fine as a commissioner, I don't understand the hatred for him.  Most of what he has done has expanded to my enjoyment of baseball. It's not like it was just Bud's fault that the world series got whacked in 94.

Revenue sharing, increased playoffs, interleague play- I more or less like them all.  It was neat to see the stros play at the stadium and fenway park- see the Yankees in Wrigley last year etc.  There are some inequalities, yes, but it works the same way with the unbalanced schedule.  I like playing the cards 19 times and the nats 7.  Stuff changes and some years you might have a harder road, and some years easier, but if you are the best you can win with whatever is put in front of you, in my opinion.  Plus, if you don't like inequalities in the wild card you can always win your division- the strength of schedule between the Astros and Cards is not worth crying over in the context of a 162 game season.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 03:10:24 pm »
It still counts, officially.

The Link
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"