Author Topic: OT: Opening Board in Opera  (Read 2440 times)

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
OT: Opening Board in Opera
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:18:08 pm »
After using Opera for about a year on this site, all of a sudden it won't load anymore - have to switch to IE to get in.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Opening Board in Opera
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 01:22:40 pm »
Why not Firefox?  Hell, anything but IE.
Lighten up, Francis.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 01:28:38 pm »
Well I used to use Firefox, but I switched to Opera instead. Internet Explorer remains the choice for the backup browser because a: some sites that don't load right in Opera don't load right in Firefox either and b: it has a much smaller memory footprint for a single window, which is handy when I have two different browsers running at once.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 06:05:28 pm »
All better now. Weird.
  -  Orson Welles

don_mynack

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:26:38 am »
Don't the ads on the free version of that make it, uh, less than desirable? Or did you pay for the full version?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:17:10 pm »
There haven't been any ads for a while now.
  -  Orson Welles

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:25:18 pm »
That's weird.  I've used Opera off and on for the last month and haven't had any problems with OWA.

Opera 9 looks to be really promising.  If someone ports Firefox's Adblock plugin to Opera, I'm making the switch.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:57:10 pm »
I use Firefox almost exclusively, buth at work and at home. I have noticed a few quirks with OWA recently, but nothing enough to make me complain or switch.

The entrance doesn't show properly and the monthly minors tables don't show properly. If anyone uses Firefox and have seenthis and might know of some settings I could adjust, I would appreciate it, but it isn't something critical.

Just thought I would mention it in a nice browser thread.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

strosrays

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 10:20:23 pm »
Quote:

I use Firefox almost exclusively, buth at work and at home. I have noticed a few quirks with OWA recently, but nothing enough to make me complain or switch.

The entrance doesn't show properly and the monthly minors tables don't show properly. If anyone uses Firefox and have seenthis and might know of some settings I could adjust, I would appreciate it, but it isn't something critical.

I've had problems for a while with the entrance page as well, using IE.  I can read the game story and NYCU, but the stats and things on both sides do not load.  Since this roughly coincided with us ditching DSL here at home, I assumed that was why.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 10:30:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I've had problems for a while with the entrance page as well, using IE.  I can read the game story and NYCU, but the stats and things on both sides do not load.  Since this roughly coincided with us ditching DSL here at home, I assumed that was why.

I have dialup at home and a T connection at work, but the results are the same.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

strosrays

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I only occasionally can check in from work (cable), so I'm not sure about there, but if you're getting the same thing with a T-con, then I don't think dial-up is the problem, which is good to know.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 10:32:50 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I only occasionally can check in from work (cable), so I'm not sure about there, but if you're getting the same thing with a T-con, then I don't think dial-up is the problem, which is good to know.

I have the same issue.  That issue started after the admins took the site offline for updates a few weeks ago.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Guinness

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 11:05:32 am »
If you keep up with the security patches, etc, there's nothing wrong with IE.  Personally, as an IT professional, and as an internet/intranet IT professional, I prefer IE to other browsers.  I know it's a personal thing,  but most sites are built for IE, and I prefer shit online to work without having to switch browsers depending on the site I visit.

don_mynack

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 11:30:27 am »
Opera does have the "fastest" scripting engine, so it renders pages a bit quicker than IE and Firefox. I just don't have enough time to mess with another browser (I prefer Firefox for surfing, IE for 'working'). One IE-based browser I played with  a bit was Maxtor - uses the IE engine, but allows tabbed browsing (I think IE 7 will offer this too) and a bit more customization of the browser.

Here's a speed comparison that someone did, if anybody's interested, or hasn't yet nodded off reading this thread.

The Link

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 12:05:04 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have the same issue.  That issue started after the admins took the site offline for updates a few weeks ago.

That is when I started noticing the quirks. I just figured it was the way I was configured and it wasn't anything critical.

Nate in IA

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 01:51:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is when I started noticing the quirks. I just figured it was the way I was configured and it wasn't anything critical.

I've had the same problem since the admins updated the site.  Things just aren't filled in properly on the entrance page.  I don't think it has anything to do with the browser but rather some database issues...

Andyzipp

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:21 am »
Quote:

I've had the same problem since the admins updated the site.  Things just aren't filled in properly on the entrance page.  I don't think it has anything to do with the browser but rather some database issues...

It's a cookie issue, I'd guess.  The first time I go to a page in the system, I get the same lack of stats info.  Several other times (if I keep the same browser open) the stats are there.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 12:41:11 pm »
Quote:

Something got lost in the shuffle with the most recent upgrade.  However, since the front page wasn't really as functional as we would have liked to begin with, I was already planning to nuke it and start from scratch this summer.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 02:19:50 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Something got lost in the shuffle with the most recent upgrade.  However, since the front page wasn't really as functional as we would have liked to begin with, I was already planning to nuke it and start from scratch this summer.

Sounds good.. it's not that big of a deal to me personally but it's good to know I'm not seeing things...

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 05:02:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Whatever you did now makes the front page show up just fine and dandy.  Thanks..