Author Topic: Oswalt Longevity  (Read 972 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Oswalt Longevity
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:34:27 pm »
So, how does this comment jive with Oswalts previous statements that he will hang up the spikes after 2011 (was that the year)?  Thanks, Pravata, fro the link in NYCU.

"Oswalt said in his last three starts he has worked on a split-finger pitch - Clemens' signature pitch - because he has seen what it has done to prolong the future Hall of Famers' dominance."
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

pravata

Re: Oswalt Longevity
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:39:43 pm »
Quote:

So, how does this comment jive with Oswalts previous statements that he will hang up the spikes after 2011 (was that the year)?  Thanks, Pravata, fro the link in NYCU.

"Oswalt said in his last three starts he has worked on a split-finger pitch - Clemens' signature pitch - because he has seen what it has done to prolong the future Hall of Famers' dominance."

You're welcome.  I took that to mean for as long as he's out there he wants to wipe guys out. Also, that looks like commentary and not a paraphrase of a quote.  He's not using the curves as much, I think hitters adjusted to that, as much as you can adjust to a 64 mph curve after a 93 mph fastball.  I don't think Roy says stuff just to be talking.

David in Jackson

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:19:09 pm »
Maybe the retirement talk was just another strategy to channel Clemens' longevity and domimance?
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

pravata

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:22:45 pm »
Quote:

Maybe the retirement talk was just another strategy to channel Clemens' longevity and domimance?

Off the mound, I don't think Roy is much into "strategy".