Author Topic: Pettite , pitching and not to much discussion  (Read 1072 times)

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Pettite , pitching and not to much discussion
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:59:31 am »
There are so many who have talked bout the clemens issue

But tho much discussed it bassically boils down to you have to plan the line up without him. Pettite is out there and will be one of the main go to guys but i couldnt find to much bout him on the current threads. Has anyone seen how he looks? I know from this artice he is working his way back up to form. If pettite gets back up to speed it wont replace clemens in the line up but will certailly go a long way toward filling a void.

The Link
forever is composed entirely of nows

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Pettite , pitching and not to much discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:06:03 pm »
Quote:

But tho much discussed it bassically boils down to you have to plan the line up without him. Pettite is out there and will be one of the main go to guys but i couldnt find to much bout him on the current threads. Has anyone seen how he looks? I know from this artice he is working his way back up to form. If pettite gets back up to speed it wont replace clemens in the line up but will certailly go a long way toward filling a void.

The Link

The Astros needed all three of Clemens, Pettitte and Oswalt last year.  Unless Pettitte plans on pitching twice as many innings as he did last year, he isn't filling a void left by Clemens, he's simply filling the same role he filled last year.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:13:35 pm »
Quote:

The Astros needed all three of Clemens, Pettitte and Oswalt last year.  Unless Pettitte plans on pitching twice as many innings as he did last year, he isn't filling a void left by Clemens, he's simply filling the same role he filled last year.

And what a role it was, 17-9 2.39 era in 222 innings would be the ace on most any other team.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

pravata

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 01:05:55 pm »
Quote:

The Link

I've been watching and there's not much more to say on Pettitte.  He's behind but no one is anticipating a problem.  Doesn't mean there wont be.  The Astros primary pitching concern is the 4 and 5, The Link  

Backe is the key to replacing Clemens.  As has been pointed out, an innings eater in the 3 spot is very useful.  Saves the bullpen.  Clemens put up 211 last season.  The Astros 2005 win loss record when he pitched was 14-20.

The bullpen is another factor. There is the feeling that there is one spot available.  However, Russ Springer has not thrown in a game this ST because of a back problem.  That could open up a space.

WulawHorn

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 01:38:36 pm »
I think Backe is going to be just fine, I could see him going 6-10 over .500 in games he starts.

If we can get .500 from all guys not named Pettite and Oswalt it seems like we could reasonably expect to win 90 again if Roy and Andy don't miss turns.  Is 90 enough to win a wild card (or maybe division if the Turds crater?)  I think it might be.

pravata

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 01:42:22 pm »
Quote:

I think Backe is going to be just fine, I could see him going 6-10 over .500 in games he starts.

If we can get .500 from all guys not named Pettite and Oswalt it seems like we could reasonably expect to win 90 again if Roy and Andy don't miss turns.  Is 90 enough to win a wild card (or maybe division if the Turds crater?)  I think it might be.

It's the innings from Backe.  He made a big jump last season to 146.  He'll need to do about 50 or so more this season.

WulawHorn

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:47:14 pm »
his innings per start were good- he would have topped 200 if he hadn't gotten hurt.  Health is obviously the key with all 3 at the front end of the rotation.