Author Topic: The Void  (Read 4344 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
The Void
« on: January 30, 2006, 03:36:35 pm »
man, has it ever been this slow/boring/dull?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

David in Jackson

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: The Void
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:38:45 pm »
I'm ready to start arguing about this year's ST phenom and who should be the 25th man.  It's deep and dark now, no question.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

No? in Austin

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:42:08 pm »
Quote:

man, has it ever been this slow/boring/dull?

*sigh*, there was that one time back in aught-oh-whatever... but I wiped it out of my memory banks exactly what made it so bad.

The extreme opposite of boring and dull void however is the 1999 off season when both Mike Hampton and Carl Everett were traded.  All sorts of rumors, innuendo, in-fighting, racial backbiting, trade evaluations, pronouncements of doom and gloom and all out chaos run amok.  Oh for those days, eh?

Well, some of it at least.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:42:17 pm »
Quote:

I'm ready to start arguing about this year's ST phenom and who should be the 25th man.  It's deep and dark now, no question.

Unless a trade or major injury occurs before opening day, I don't think there is many questions about the 25th spot... now we can argue who is getting screwed by not being give that spot, or who might be the 1st one called up for pitching/hitting.

But I think we listed out the 25-man roster already and all are pretty well set, unless the Astros are going to eat contracts by waiving people.

The only possible slot that I know of is IF Bagwell is NOT on the 25-man roster and Scott isn't his replacement.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:45:21 pm »
No kidding.  I tried to watch some TV yesterday afternoon while folding clothes and there was nada to watch.  I can't wait for baseball.  Finally some supercross came on.

It got me to thinking--besides the Great Shoulder Debate there has not been alot of baseball talk this offseason.  No huge deals, major free agent signings etc.  I hope this keeps up--I really don't want to hear that Clemens signed with Team X for 17 million Frosties.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 04:17:32 pm »
I'm going to apologize in advance for this but the void also explains most of the crap spewed forth by the Chronicle sports writers as it pertains to the Astros.  Awwwwwwwwwwful!  For the life of me, I can't figure out why I keep going to that site with full knowledge of the content, or lack of, I'll encounter.  I compare it to eating McDonald's when you really want a good steak.  There's no satisfaction derived from McDonalds, just as there is none from reading the chronicle.

I find myself obsessing over whether the Fox Sports channel here in Austin (moved 3 months ago) will go with Astros coverage or the Rangers games.  Seriously, if anyone can answer that, I'd be eternally greatful.  I hope this is Astros territory because each game I miss due to Fox opting for a Rangers game is going to piss me off.  And yes, that was a factor in my desire to leave Dallas, among more important issues obviously, but included none the less.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 04:27:41 pm »
Well, I was viewing the Dallas Stars schedule the other day, they are going to show more games on FSN toward the end of the season.  So, I have at least something to occupy my time.  Guys in skates, yum.  But, for the most part it is dull.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 04:46:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The only possible slot that I know of is IF Bagwell is NOT on the 25-man roster and Scott isn't his replacement.

Bagwell IS the 25th man.

And now I return to chasing my own tail.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 04:51:38 pm »
Quote:

I'm going to apologize in advance for this but the void also explains most of the crap spewed forth by the Chronicle sports writers as it pertains to the Astros.  Awwwwwwwwwwful!  For the life of me, I can't figure out why I keep going to that site with full knowledge of the content, or lack of, I'll encounter.  I compare it to eating McDonald's when you really want a good steak.  There's no satisfaction derived from McDonalds, just as there is none from reading the chronicle.

I find myself obsessing over whether the Fox Sports channel here in Austin (moved 3 months ago) will go with Astros coverage or the Rangers games.  Seriously, if anyone can answer that, I'd be eternally greatful.  I hope this is Astros territory because each game I miss due to Fox opting for a Rangers game is going to piss me off.  And yes, that was a factor in my desire to leave Dallas, among more important issues obviously, but included none the less.

When I had TW cable, they showed Astros games.  When I had DirecTV, if there was a conflict, they had a FSSW Alt channel so they could show both games.

I haven't had either in a year or two, so it might have changed since then.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 04:53:40 pm »
Time Warner shows most of them, either on FSSW or on a vacant channel.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:58:14 pm »
One of the over-the-air channels, either UPN or WB, picks up the FSSW feed on weekends, similar to what channel 51 does in Houston.  However, they seem to be heavily prejudiced towards Rangers games.  Dish and DirecTV both carry ALT channels so you can usually watch both.
Grab another Coke and let's die

astro pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 05:11:07 pm »
11 days until the Minute Maid Classic...

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 05:22:29 pm »
i was just talking to kathy bout it . and she was saying the same thing  that the astros should get up off their asses and do something.  geeze i remember a time when that would have been a punishable sin. well anyhow someone needs to start a rumor or a poll or something. and when spring training gets here bad or good keep reminding everyone it is only spring training
forever is composed entirely of nows

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 06:09:17 pm »
Quote:

Well, I was viewing the Dallas Stars schedule the other day, they are going to show more games on FSN toward the end of the season.  So, I have at least something to occupy my time.  Guys in skates, yum.  But, for the most part it is dull.

Yes, but even the NHL will shut down for the Olympics.  Do I have to watch the Olympics?
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 06:20:32 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but even the NHL will shut down for the Olympics.  Do I have to watch the Olympics?

All hockey games will shown in their entirety on one of the many Olympic channels.  GO USA!!!
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 07:16:21 pm »
Quote:

One of the over-the-air channels, either UPN or WB, picks up the FSSW feed on weekends, similar to what channel 51 does in Houston.  However, they seem to be heavily prejudiced towards Rangers games.  Dish and DirecTV both carry ALT channels so you can usually watch both.

UPN and WB have just merged and renamed themselves "CW".  This is good news as it's one less channel of crap to skip over.  Don't know what this does to their Astros coverage, but chances are it means you're screwed.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 07:55:23 pm »
yes i think you pretty much are obligated to watch the olympics.  i mean doesnt your whole day border on knowing if michell kwan finlly wins gold? well at least it is something to fill the void till baseball starts again
forever is composed entirely of nows

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 09:40:52 pm »
OMG!!!! Clemens throws batting practice!!! The Link

I hope you all enjoy the "news" headline.

strosrays

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 03:27:16 pm »
Quote:

UPN and WB have just merged and renamed themselves "CW".  This is good news as it's one less channel of crap to skip over.  

Two channels I never watched merging into one channel I'll never watch.  Commerce marches on.

While we're at it - clearing the cable spectrum of useless crap, I mean - I have some more proposed mergers.

Spike TV and FSSW (except for when Spike is doing the James Bond marathons, and FSSW has the Astros on)

WE, Lifetime & Oxygen - coalescing into one giant gelatinous mass of ridiculous and unwatchable "TV movies", Oprah, and Ellen Degeneras, who I think comes on around 3 A.M.  Right after the skin care infomercial.

FOX News and OLN - plenty of consevative rhetoric, and huntin' and fishin', too

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 03:47:12 pm »
You must never have had a teenage girl in your household.   WB was on at our house for four years running.  I was constantly having to flee the room before the Gilmore Girls started jabbering.  There was a time, though, when Buffy, Vampire Slayer, was the funniest thing on tv. Oddly, the tv show was better than the movie.

And the name of the football team in Smallville is pretty good.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 06:12:43 pm »
Quote:

WE, Lifetime & Oxygen - coalescing into one giant gelatinous mass of ridiculous and unwatchable "TV movies", Oprah, and Ellen Degeneras, who I think comes on around 3 A.M.  Right after the skin care infomercial.

Reminds of the classic promo from a couple of years ago when the Oxygen channel scored the rights to broadcast women's basketball.  They came up with the following slogan (you can't make this shit up):

"The WNBA is on Oxygen"
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.